User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Mary Lou  mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Would love to visit the spunky chunky Mary Lou clone planet!!!!!  
50 Internets for anyone that knows where I got that obscure shit
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Vid to go along with the pic laramie posted. One of the most iconic moments in MMA history in my opinion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8_-xO9BH4

I was lucky enough to witness the Nolan Ryan beat down of Robin Ventura in person. I was probably only 7 or 8 when it happened, but it will forever live in my heart as one of the greatest sports moments I have ever seen in person.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

because none of the youngsters here know what this picture is about, nor what it represents –– i provide the following service:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1198918_The_Greatest_Play_In_Baseball___Rick_Monday_Saves_U_S__Flag.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV8QPQAhxo

Damn dust in here is thick. Eyes are a little irritated
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Vid to go along with the pic laramie posted. One of the most iconic moments in MMA history in my opinion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8_-xO9BH4

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i42.tinypic.com/30lcj6p.gif  

I  watched that fight at a buddy's house. The whole house went wild when Dan landed that shot.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, BUBBAMAN's avatar would fit the "Icon picture" definition.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]

This photo came to mind when reading the thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Obama won't release bin laden's last picture
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cant' find a good angle, this picture is a bit misleading, but the video clarifies.

ETA: Nvm, i found a good gif of it :D

http://gifsoup.com/view/408531/belfour-nut-shot-o.gif

http://youtu.be/gSUl54CmziU

Having met him recently..............he still has the look of someone you do not want to F with.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Phelps Out-touches Cavic

Dan Gurney begins the Champagne and spray tradition.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Oh shit, you found a picture of me!  (I'm the one kinda to the left in that khaki patch.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]

I suspect the iconic picture of Evel is the film the Actress Linda Evans (you remember her from Dynasty) shot of the landing at the Ceasers Palace Fountains.

On December 31, 1967, Derek recruited his wife to operate one of his cameras after he had been commissioned by daredevil Evel Knievel to film his motorcycle jump of the fountains at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. It was Evans who captured the iconic images of Knievel's devastating crash as the jump failed
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#20]

That was nothing short of a miracle

A&M never ceases to amaze me
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Taken just a half second too soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why does every "iconic" photo anything thread devolve into an "esoteric or obscure" photo anything thread?

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

because none of the youngsters here know what this picture is about, nor what it represents –– i provide the following service:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1198918_The_Greatest_Play_In_Baseball___Rick_Monday_Saves_U_S__Flag.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV8QPQAhxo

If that’s all you’re known for, it’s not a bad thing at all. –Rick Monday
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Zola Budd tripped MaryDecker at the 1984 Olympics.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#28]

I was there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cIEJkD82e60/TLUCwX_p61I/AAAAAAAAECI/QmKGv0Xf-oM/s1600/ya-tittle.jpg

ETA:

Famous photo

A photo of a dazed Tittle in the endzone taken by Morris Berman of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on September 20, 1964, is regarded among the most iconic images in the history of sports. Tittle, who was in the final season of his career, was photographed helmet-less, bloodied and kneeling immediately after having been knocked to the ground by John Baker of the Pittsburgh Steelers and throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown at the old Pitt Stadium. The quarterback suffered both a concussion and cracked sternum on the play. He would go on to play out the rest of the season, but the Giants would finish a disappointing 2-10-2.[citation needed]

Post-Gazette editors at first declined to run the photo, looking for "action shots" instead, but Berman entered the image into contests where it took on a life of its own, winning a National Headliner Award. The photo was ineligible for a Pulitzer Prize because it was not published, but it is regarded as having changed the way that photographers look at sports, having shown the power of capturing a moment of reaction. It now hangs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[citation needed]

After at first having failed to see the appeal of the image, Tittle eventually would grow to embrace it, putting it on the back cover of his 2009 autobiography. "That was the end of the road," he told the Los Angeles Times in 2008. "It was the end of my dream. It was over."[citation needed]

Tittle and Berman weren't the only ones to profit from the famous image, Pittsburgh player John Baker (who hit Tittle right before the picture was taken) ran for Sheriff in his native Wake County, North Carolina, in 1978 and used the photo as a campaign tool. Baker went on to serve for 25 years.[3]

The photo was identified so heavily with youthful years of the baby boom generation that Miller Beer used it in an iconic ad relaunching its "Miller High Life" brand in 2007-2008.

There is a large painting of this image at the National Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH. I went into the gift shop and tried to buy a print of poster of it, but the Pittsburgh Gazette never sold it. Even when the Gazette closed and sold its archives to whatever the daily Pittsburgh paper is now, the image has never been offered.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#31]

The Human Vacuum Cleaner

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cIEJkD82e60/TLUCwX_p61I/AAAAAAAAECI/QmKGv0Xf-oM/s1600/ya-tittle.jpg

ETA:

Famous photo

A photo of a dazed Tittle in the endzone taken by Morris Berman of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on September 20, 1964, is regarded among the most iconic images in the history of sports. Tittle, who was in the final season of his career, was photographed helmet-less, bloodied and kneeling immediately after having been knocked to the ground by John Baker of the Pittsburgh Steelers and throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown at the old Pitt Stadium. The quarterback suffered both a concussion and cracked sternum on the play. He would go on to play out the rest of the season, but the Giants would finish a disappointing 2-10-2.[citation needed]

Post-Gazette editors at first declined to run the photo, looking for "action shots" instead, but Berman entered the image into contests where it took on a life of its own, winning a National Headliner Award. The photo was ineligible for a Pulitzer Prize because it was not published, but it is regarded as having changed the way that photographers look at sports, having shown the power of capturing a moment of reaction. It now hangs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[citation needed]

After at first having failed to see the appeal of the image, Tittle eventually would grow to embrace it, putting it on the back cover of his 2009 autobiography. "That was the end of the road," he told the Los Angeles Times in 2008. "It was the end of my dream. It was over."[citation needed]

Tittle and Berman weren't the only ones to profit from the famous image, Pittsburgh player John Baker (who hit Tittle right before the picture was taken) ran for Sheriff in his native Wake County, North Carolina, in 1978 and used the photo as a campaign tool. Baker went on to serve for 25 years.[3]

The photo was identified so heavily with youthful years of the baby boom generation that Miller Beer used it in an iconic ad relaunching its "Miller High Life" brand in 2007-2008.

There is a large painting of this image at the National Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH. I went into the gift shop and tried to buy a print of poster of it, but the Pittsburgh Gazette never sold it. Even when the Gazette closed and sold its archives to whatever the daily Pittsburgh paper is now, the image has never been offered.

You sure about that? The local Pgh paper is the Post-Gazette and it has been called that since the 20's.
My dad worked at the PG for 25 years....
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#33]

While funny on so many levels, I humbly submit this as the classic MMA representative.

Royce Gracie v Art Jimmerson UFC 1....
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#34]
100 points in a game or 100 women after the game...
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Bob Beamon long jumps 29′ 2 1/2 inches to shatter the world record by more than two feet. The record stood for 23 years.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Famous photo

You sure about that? The local Pgh paper is the Post-Gazette and it has been called that since the 20's.

I'm not sure of it. That's how it was explained to me at the PFHOF.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Famous photo

I'm not sure of it. That's how it was explained to me at the PFHOF.

I remember there is something about the rights to that photo not being available.  MAybe in the book about him his daughter wrote (got that for my Dad several Xmases agao) or an NPR interview with him about the book.  Details are lost, but I remember there was something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Pudge just announced his retirement friday.  Rangers are talking about retiring his number.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pudge just announced his retirement friday.  Rangers are talking about retiring his number.

I think I'll cry a little when that happens.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Unless you're well versed in surfing or from Hawaii I don't expect many people to understand.

eddie would go
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That was nothing short of a miracle

A&M never ceases to amaze me

Remember the Batt column calling the Corps unpatriotic for wearing military uniforms instead of the colored T-shirts?    Who pulled on a wool sausage casing at 5am to put the flags up on campus that morning... oh yeah.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Bobby Thompson kisses the bat that fired the shot heard round the world.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#46]

im not even a fan of boxing, but this is the picture that pops in my head when i think iconic sport photo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh shit, you found a picture of me!  (I'm the one kinda to the left in that khaki patch.)

Nope, it is a pic of me.  I am in the second deck towards the right side about two sections from the edge.

I was really surprised by the speed that was organized. They sold a ton of shirts for charity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top