BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
american performance cars seem to be the biggest bang for the buck.

They always have been.

Until the American Car's nemesis returns.  The dreaded  RIGHT HAND TURN.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is at the one where they photoshopped the front wheels coming off the pavement at the dragstrip?

Yes. I'm guessing they mean worlds most powerful production V8 as well.

No.

And they don't "mean" production V8. They say it explicitly in the article.
its not the most powerful v8 in any way..

Maybe it is before super charging?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread needs moar pictures of this new Stang to be fappable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it is before super charging?
I'm still waiting for Cypher15 to tell us about all the 700+ HP production V8s on the market that we're missing out on.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

what will those cars cost?

$48,000+

Base is $54k, loaded like $61k.
People are getting them for MSRP and some getting them written for less.

Dealers aren't going to be able to charge over MSRP, they can ask it and maybe 2 idiots will pay it...but not going to fly in this economy.

Um...no.  We bought the 2012 Shelby, loaded with 2K miles, from a private buy at $45k and was a steal.  These cars sell at dealership with NO price breaks, no special financing from Ford, nadda, nothing!  I would say that if you dont go online to Ford.com and place the order there or the dealership, you will not SEE this car unless someone pulls up on you at a red light.  They are making about 4,000 of these cars in 2012-2013 and they are HIGHLY sought after.  This means no price breaks, doubtful any dealership will have one in stock.

You didn't try hard enough......is what it is.

When I say less than MSRP, I'm not talking about thousands of dollars. Most are falling in the $500-1k range.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

2013 GT500 vert(svt cobra) and a '93 Cobra R

Her's a red one

What the hell.....Boss 302

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2013 GT500 vert(svt cobra) and a '93 Cobra R

Her's a red one

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/06-2013-shelby-gt500-candy-red.jpg

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/07-2013-shelby-gt500-candy-red.jpg

I cant believe they failed to clean the tires!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is at the one where they photoshopped the front wheels coming off the pavement at the dragstrip?

No.

The ZR1 is what, 720hp?  Yeahhh, I've been in one that was gutted and caged with carbon-carbon brakes.  Pretty pissed-off little car...

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

The ZR1 is what, 720hp?  Yeahhh, I've been in one that was gutted and caged with carbon-carbon brakes.  Pretty pissed-off little car...

C6 ZR-1 is (according to Chevrolet) 638 HP, 604 lb-ft.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
C6 ZR-1 is (according to Chevrolet) 638 HP, 604 lb-ft.

Yeah, I remember that now.  I might've read about one of the big name tuners having a version with 720hp though...  Lingenfelter or Hennessey maybe
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Will it actually be able to around corners? I am thinking not very well.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#13]
That makes my 2008 GT500 look like a girl's mustang.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
As a former racer and original owner of a 1966 Shelby GT-350 race car and a hot car nut, I think this beast is way over the top.

662hp is way too much for the average driver and virtually all of the purchasers will be Fangio or Gurney wanna-bes.

I personally love the car but it will be way too much go-fast for most folks.  It's going to kill a lot of fools.

Too bad.

Oh...and doubters feel free to look up Ford GT wrecks on Youtube.  Lots of folks who dumped $150k+ into what is still probably the most beautiful and hot car every made in America promptly drove them off the beaten path into something hard or another vehicle.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh...and doubters feel free to look up Ford GT wrecks on Youtube.  Lots of folks who dumped $150k+ into what is still probably the most beautiful and hot car every made in America promptly drove them off the beaten path into something hard or another vehicle.  

There will always be people who overestimate their abilities, no matter what mode of transportation they choose.
If you have no experience/skill, self control or common sense, don't buy 600hp.
That's one reason my bike is a supermoto with ~65hp instead of something like a Hyabusa.  I could still kill myself, but I would have to try harder to do it...
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to be a Chevy dude then I went to Mustangs for like 12 years and now I own an '11 SS Camaro. I still love love love the Mustangs and Camaros.

The only thing I am wondering about is the 665~ HP with a solid axle and 285 width tires. I understand the traction and launch control is supposed to work rather well but shit, It can't be perfect.

I tip my hat to Ford on this beast. If I could afford my Camaro and another car, this would be it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, that was the Shelby 1000 produced by Shelby American not the GT500.  

Link
Quoted:
Quoted:

the shelby is a ford motor with a bigger s/c, thats it really.

Koneigsegg builds its own V8 engines and has an 1100hp model.

The K car uses a Ford modular engine. Of course it's all built in house though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That makes my 2008 GT500 look like a girl's mustang.

Just be lucky you dont own a Mustang II Corbra
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I still love love love the Mustangs and Camaros.

You're not allowed to like more than one kind of car around here! You must declare your true allegiance and  make snarky comments about all other cars/makes.!!!1!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As a former racer and original owner of a 1966 Shelby GT-350 race car and a hot car nut, I think this beast is way over the top.

662hp is way too much for the average driver and virtually all of the purchasers will be Fangio or Gurney wanna-bes.

I personally love the car but it will be way too much go-fast for most folks.  It's going to kill a lot of fools.

Too bad.

+1

I drive an 08 GT with a few bolt on mods (as I have stated here) and I will be completely frank about it.

For 98% of my driving needs, it is overkill. Fun, but overkill. That other 2%, is a bit nuts.

I cannot even begin to imagine a 650+HP. And the average guy who is buying one of these, well he will probably wrap it around a tree.

I will say this, I would like more power. Thinking of supercharging next, actually. Would like right at 450 to the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh...and doubters feel free to look up Ford GT wrecks on Youtube. Lots of folks who dumped $150k+ into what is still probably the most beautiful and hot car every made in America promptly drove them off the beaten path into something hard or another vehicle.

There will always be people who overestimate their abilities, no matter what mode of transportation they choose.

That's one reason my bike is a supermoto with ~65hp instead of something like a Hyabusa. I could still kill myself, but I would have to try harder to do it...

You are smart and logical.  Far too many folks leave their brains behind when they climb onto a hot bike or into a hot car.  My son owns a Yamaha R1.  It is his daily rider to work.  He has had it at the track too and it is very quick.

Even IF I were still riding which I am not, I wouldn't go near that bike.  He says it will do over 175mph!  I have NO idea how he knows that.  I can only imagine.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#23]

DEARBORN — The all-new supercharged 5.8-liter powerplant in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 has been officially SAE-certified as the most powerful series production V8 in the world with peak output of 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. That’s more power and torque than low volume sports cars costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the GT500, which is the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its segment. In fact the 2013 GT500 is the most fuel-efficient car with over 550 horsepower in any segment available in America.

shoots that "no replacement for displacement"  addage you hear all the time, especially toward turbo-charged rice cars

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh...and doubters feel free to look up Ford GT wrecks on Youtube. Lots of folks who dumped $150k+ into what is still probably the most beautiful and hot car every made in America promptly drove them off the beaten path into something hard or another vehicle.

That's one reason my bike is a supermoto with ~65hp instead of something like a Hyabusa. I could still kill myself, but I would have to try harder to do it...

You are smart and logical.  Far too many folks leave their brains behind when they climb onto a hot bike or into a hot car.  My son owns a Yamaha R1.  It is his daily rider to work.  He has had it at the track too and it is very quick.

Even IF I were still riding which I am not, I wouldn't go near that bike.  He says it will do over 175mph!  I have NO idea how he knows that.  I can only imagine.  

Yeahhh, I prefer four wheels for those kinda speeds...
I've had the Husky up to 110 before, and that's all it wanted...  Of course it's got ginormous frickin' scoops to direct air through the twin radiators instead of slippery fairings...
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just wondering, do they have a gas guzzler tax added to the cost? We have about a $1200.00 tax for the gas guzzlers.

NO gas guzzler tax for this one.

no shit this mother fucker gets the same milage as my dads 200 hp grand marquis
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#26]
As the owner of a 2011 Mustang GT that is bolt on maxed to 422 rwhp and a
2008 GT 500 with even more, all I can say is:

DO want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
what will those cars cost?

$48,000+

Base is $54k, loaded like $61k.

People are getting them for MSRP and some getting them written for less.
Dealers aren't going to be able to charge over MSRP, they can ask it and maybe 2 idiots will pay it...but not going to fly in this economy.

Um...no.  We bought the 2012 Shelby, loaded with 2K miles, from a private buy at $45k and was a steal.  These cars sell at dealership with NO price breaks, no special financing from Ford, nadda, nothing!  I would say that if you dont go online to Ford.com and place the order there or the dealership, you will not SEE this car unless someone pulls up on you at a red light.  They are making about 4,000 of these cars in 2012-2013 and they are HIGHLY sought after.  This means no price breaks, doubtful any dealership will have one in stock.

IIRC the 2013 GT500 is supposed to be an option code.  No special/limited runs.  Should have much better availability than the previous GT500

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering, do they have a gas guzzler tax added to the cost? We have about a $1200.00 tax for the gas guzzlers.

Given some of the statements in this thread so far...some people clearly didn't read the article.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
DEARBORN — The all-new supercharged 5.8-liter powerplant in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 has been officially SAE-certified as the most powerful series production V8 in the world with peak output of 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. That’s more power and torque than low volume sports cars costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the GT500, which is the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its segment. In fact the 2013 GT500 is the most fuel-efficient car with over 550 horsepower in any segment available in America.

full article here

they can do what they want, but it is still based on a $22k car
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

full article here

A 22k car that will rip your nuts off if you try to take a corner at any kind of speed.

I say put the engine in an Ariel Atom and see what happens. What could possibly go wrong?

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

full article here

A 22k car that will rip your nuts off if you try to take a corner at any kind of speed.

I say put the engine in an Ariel Atom and see what happens. What could possibly go wrong?

And turn a 1200lb car into a 1700lbcar?

There has already been a 2.6L v8 ('busa heads) with 400+ hp stuffed in an atom...
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

full article here

Ford has put alot of work into the suspension, this is not just a straight line car.
They have to compete with the zl1, so I'm sure it'll turn. Recaros are a option, so
It better turn.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Given some of the statements in this thread so far...some people clearly didn't read the article.

Things change from state to state. Cant believe everything you read. Was told otherwise from a salesman. Just seeing if its the same elsewhere. He went "12 worst- 27 best Cmon now" I dout 27 is reachable but -12 I know I can beat this.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top