Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2012 3:43:06 PM EDT
And lower my rate or I'm not renewing.  Been with them for almost 10 years, and they were always competitive, but I due to renew and I got a quote from Hartford for $600/year less.  Called Geico, on the phone for 2 minutes, "Nothing we can do".  Told them I would cancel, "Nothing we can do"  Asked for a supervisor, and am supposed to be called back in less then an hour, clocks ticking.  Can't believe a company would turn away customers like that.  Weak rant, I know.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And lower my rate or I'm not renewing.  Been with them for almost 10 years, and they were always competitive, but I due to renew and I got a quote from Hartford for $600/year less.  Called Geico, on the phone for 2 minutes, "Nothing we can do".  Told them I would cancel, "Nothing we can do"  Asked for a supervisor, and am supposed to be called back in less then an hour, clocks ticking.  Can't believe a company would turn away customers like that.  Weak rant, I know.

Really, really impressive you've held your breath for this long already, but it's time to stop.  If you're saving $600/year with equal coverage, switch and don't look back until it's time to renew again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Really, really impressive you've held your breath for this long already, but it's time to stop.  If you're saving $600/year with equal coverage, switch and don't look back until it's time to renew again.

Your right, F'em.  I already emailed my broker.  Only thing I hate about this is having to bring the cars for that photo inspection.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I switched from Nationwide to State Farm for homeowner's and auto insurance and saved damn near 40%!  I was shocked.

It pays to shop around.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck geico
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I was with progressive for 10-11 years and liked them.  When I got my home, I got quotes from everybody and ended up with state farm.  WANTED to keep progressive but they didnt do classic car (which my car qualified for) and my motorcycle went from $98/mo to $27/mo and i put MORE coverage on it then i had with progessive.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Loyalty means nothig in business or employment anymore. Stop living in the past.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I canceled all of my geico (auto, renters, and a 30k presonal property plan for firearms) when I called to add a firearm, they realized my guns had been put in as jewelerly and needed to be changed to guns, then upon asking if any were "assault rifles" notified me they not only wouldn't cover that firearm but could not insure my collection at all... I had been with their auto for 5 years and their other plans for 2.5... They offered a waiver for my ARs and I told them to get fucked. I've got state farm for everything and my agent is a dream to work with compared to geicos service. I also saved about 300$ a yr on auto and 100$ of the others.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuck geico

+1
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
An hour to call you back?  Bullshit!  I've seen their commercials and they clearly state 16 minutes or less.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO F__N shit!

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
An hour to call you back?  Bullshit!  I've seen their commercials and they clearly state 16 minutes or less.

Or else a lizard delivers you a pizza, right?
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I called them for a quote and the rate they gave me was $1200 more than I was currently paying with Travelers.  I called State Farm and they were $800 less than Travelers.   State Farm got my business, although they have gone up around $100/year in the past year, it is time to shop around again.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
She called me back.  Told her I already made up my mind.  She started the song and dance about "what you have is just a quote" "it will change when the policy goes to the carrier from the broker"  Told her what I had was from the carrier and that they just lost a customer.  They really don't seem to care. F'em.  Next thing I do is remove the umbrella policy I have with them.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Told them I would cancel, "Nothing we can do"  Asked for a supervisor, and am supposed to be called back in less then an hour, clocks ticking.  Can't believe a company would turn away customers like that.  Weak rant, I know.

I'm not sure what you expected a supervisor to do. It's not like they
have the authority to change your rates since all rating factors used to
determine your rate are filed with the state. Unless you are entitled to a discount that's been approved by the state that you aren't currently getting (e.g. married rate rather than single), they are correct about there being nothing they could do.
And do you realize that insurance companies have huge lists of customers in New York they want to get rid of, but they can't due to contract agreements with the state? Raising your rate to something unacceptable is a way to get you to cancel without the company having to non-renew your policy.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
GEICO will terminate you coverage - ALL of it - if they learn you have anything they consider an "assault weapon".  A member here ran into that a few years back, had his homeowner's and car insurance terminated then and there without any warning.

Boycott GEICO.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
GEICO will terminate you coverage - ALL of it - if they learn you have anything they consider an "assault weapon".  A member here ran into that a few years back, had his homeowner's and car insurance terminated then and there without any warning.

Boycott GEICO.

Me too. I'm really glad in the years I had them insuring my AR and other toys (through their own mistake) nothing happened... They claimed I would have been covered but I doubt that would be the same song they sung if I made a claim.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I switched from Nationwide to State Farm for homeowner's and auto insurance and saved damn near 40%!  I was shocked.

It pays to shop around.

I have nationwide. They suck on support after an accident. I am now looking for another Insurance.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Here OP, this should help you out:

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
USAA. Geico loves to hear that spoken when they call offering to save you money.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
USAA. Geico loves to hear that spoken when they call offering to save you money.

No insurance company is the cheapest.  No insurance company is the best.  It always pays to shop once in a while, comparing apples to apples coverage with legitimate carriers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep. I have USAA and got nailed by a guy insured by Geico. He went straight from a left turn only lane. Geico tried to claim I was at fault.
USAA to it to arbitration and whooped Geico's butt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]
No accidents, no claims, cars are garaged.  Why want to get rid of me?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Told them I would cancel, "Nothing we can do"  Asked for a supervisor, and am supposed to be called back in less then an hour, clocks ticking.  Can't believe a company would turn away customers like that.  Weak rant, I know.

I'm not sure what you expected a supervisor to do. It's not like they have the authority to change your rates since all rating factors used to determine your rate are filed with the state. Unless you are entitled to a discount that's been approved by the state that you aren't currently getting (e.g. married rate rather than single), they are correct about there being nothing they could do.

And do you realize that insurance companies have huge lists of customers in New York they want to get rid of, but they can't due to contract agreements with the state? Raising your rate to something unacceptable is a way to get you to cancel without the company having to non-renew your policy.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

One of Hartfort's customers hit me.  10 witnesses, a police report and the illegal alien driving the Mack truck that crushed my car's side fled the scene when the Police arrived.  They were clearly at fault and did EVERY underhanded dirty trick to get out of paying the claim.  I turned the whole thing over to my insurance company, GEICO.  They beat the everliving shit out of that shifty, shitty company known as the Hartford.  I got my car fixed on their dime at a body shop that was NOT on their approved list.  So go ahead and bitch over $50 a month.  You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or else a lizard delivers you a pizza, right?

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you expected a supervisor to do. It's not like they have the authority to change your rates since all rating factors used to determine your rate are filed with the state. Unless you are entitled to a discount that's been approved by the state that you aren't currently getting (e.g. married rate rather than single), they are correct about there being nothing they could do.

Not you, your whole state.  Insurance is highly regulated and New York has some extremely fucked up (expensive for carriers) requirements of them probably masked as "consumer protections".
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of Hartfort's customers hit me.  10 witnesses, a police report and the illegal alien driving the Mack truck that crushed my car's side fled the scene when the Police arrived.  They were clearly at fault and did EVERY underhanded dirty trick to get out of paying the claim.  I turned the whole thing over to my insurance company, GEICO.  They beat the everliving shit out of that shifty, shitty company known as the Hartford.  I got my car fixed on their dime at a body shop that was NOT on their approved list.  So go ahead and bitch over $50 a month.  You get what you pay for.

Bull shit.  Your point, not your story.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
USAA FTW
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Could be your ZIP code, perhaps many claims in your area recently.
Remember NY has PIP (Personal Injury Protection) of $50,000 for your medical expenses and lost wages if you get into an accident, no matter who's at fault. You can thank the people who load a minivan full of people and hit a light pole so they can all file a PIP claim for a piece of that $50K.
A guy in NY got arrested a few months back for filing a PIP claim after hitting a bicycle that he threw in front of his own car, claiming he was injured during the impact.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No bullshit.  I've gotten excellent service out of Geico.  I've gotten shitty service out of Progressive,  State Farm and a dozen other "cheaper" services.  Geico as never given me shit about a claim.  In the end I've always returned to them because no one else has the level of service they do.   Treat your insurance like "disposable" commodity, you deserve the service you get.  They have to cut costs somewhere.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Government Employee Insurance COmpany...

USAA is where it's at. Best service I've ever had.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It pays to shop around.

I have nationwide. They suck on support after an accident. I am now looking for another Insurance.

I switched from Nationwide to Allstate.  Saved a few hundred a year and they have been excellent.

I filed a claim on my homeowner's policy for hail damage to my 10 yr. old roof and had a check within 10 days for enough to pay someone to replace the existing three tab shingles w/ architectural.  I did it myself and had enough left over to replace the old guttering too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because they figure that at some point you are likely to get into or cause an accident.  You just haven't done it yet...and they don't want you to be their customer when it happens.  So they jack the rate up high enough that you change companies.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No bullshit.  I've gotten excellent service out of Geico.  I've gotten shitty service out of Progressive,  State Farm and a dozen other "cheaper" services.  Geico as never given me shit about a claim.  In the end I've always returned to them because no one else has the level of service they do.   Treat your insurance like "disposable" commodity, you deserve the service you get.  They have to cut costs somewhere.  

So Geico is top shelf insurance in your book?  Funny, their entire advertising budget has been targeted at consumers looking for "quick quotes" and "cheap".  It's great that you've had good luck with them, but the idea that the $50/mo extra your policy happens to cost through them versus a hand full of others is proof of "you get what you pay for" is just laughable.

I have no hate for any of the insurance companies I've used and I do not shop insurance based soley on price.  Amica (the USAA for non .gov folks) has been no better to me than the rest and after about 5 years with them I'll be shopping again when the mood strikes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So Geico is top shelf insurance in your book?  Funny, their entire advertising budget has been targeted at consumers looking for "quick quotes" and "cheap".  It's great that you've had good luck with them, but the idea that the $50/mo extra your policy happens to cost through them versus a hand full of others is proof of "you get what you pay for" is just laughable.

I have no hate for any of the insurance companies I've used and I do not shop insurance based soley on price.  Amica (the USAA for non .gov folks) has been no better to me than the rest and after about 5 years with them I'll be shopping again when the mood strikes.

It's not $50 a month on my policy.  It's on the OP's policy.

And it's not all that laughable to me.  Someone rear-ended my gf and State Farm acted like they were invisible.  Despite full comprehensive.  Experiement #1 in cheaper insurance was a failure.  Ditto multiple other attempts.  I've found that changing companies solely for the rate is counter productive.  None of the competetors have had close to Geico's service.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top