Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:34:56 PM EDT
This hobby farm/growing food stuff has taught me a lot. Very strange for me to take an animal open his sack, and fray the cord to his testicles.
But I know basically how now, and should be able to perfect my ball removal technique so I can be better and faster in the future.
It is very hard to grow your own food!
http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/thetusken/?action=view&current=video-2012-06-16-15-20-36.mp4

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
too baaaaaaaddd goat
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Better than using your teeth, I suppose.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Butterfly and deep fry. Awesome
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They described using cording to do that on sheep farms in a book I read. I wondered if zip ties would achieve the same result.

banding is supposed to be the most painful for the animal.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Butterfly and deep fry. Awesome

never had goat, but have had my share of calf fries and damn there good
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I got to help cut bull calves once. Bizarre experience for sure

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I had to watch since I might have to do it someday.

His "complaining" made it all possible, laughable.

Those things were HUGE! I bet he had plans for them!

And then there was the dog toward the end, "Hey, Daddy, what's all the screaming about?"
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
>hobby farming

>goats

relevant to my interests. So many questions.

For starters, whats the benefit to clipping their nuts? i know this is SOP for growing animals but i never bothered to ask why.

also, at the end it looked like you were gluing the goats ball bag, was this the case? some kind of contact glue?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
>hobby farming

>goats

For starters, whats the benefit to clipping their nuts? i know this is SOP for growing animals but i never bothered to ask why.

also, at the end it looked like you were gluing the goats ball bag, was this the case? some kind of contact glue?

some say when you cut them they fill out better for slaughterer and are less aggression. Whenever we take calves to the sell they always get cut there if they already haven't been.  

Did not watch the vid but i am guessing the spray was just an antibiotic to keep it from getting infected while healing
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Poor Billy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

>hobby farming

>goats

I hand 4 births this spring 3 boys and 1 girl. I don't want the boys breeding their sister. I want to let them get to a year old before i eat them. So off with the balls.
At the end I am spraying Iodine . The bag is left open so it can drain fluid.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They described using cording to do that on sheep farms in a book I read. I wondered if zip ties would achieve the same result.

We clamped (burdizzo). Took two seconds, one little bleat, that was it. No cutting, no trauma, no problems. Had a buckling with a genetic defect, otherwise we would have kept him intact.

ETA: We raise dairy goats. Need good bucks for breeding. Once they've bred, we sell them. Last one we had on craigslist for a month for $50. Didn't sell, so we took it to auction. got $85.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Elastrator. This is what my old man used on calves. It made them jump pretty good when it snapped on their nutsack. Eyes bug out kind of like the herp derp dog.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Elastrator. This is what my old man used on calves. It made them jump pretty good when it snapped on their nutsack. Eyes bug out kind of like the herp derp dog.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/txkl37/626px-Elastrator_rings.jpg

that makes me cringe

i had much rather take 30 seconds and just cut the boys out instead of having it just fall off a week later
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Some where I have my grandfathers caponizing set. Use to castrate young roosters.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, you didn't wait for the anaesthetic to take effect!

You started cutting just 10 seconds after finishing the injection and every time you touched the little guy's balls

with a sharp object he raised hell!    Didn't you connect the two events and stop to think  "Gee, maybe I need

to give the anaesthetic a little more time to work?"

RTFM next time.   The instructions with the anaesthetic will certainly say that it takes at least a minute to work properly.

When I had a dislocated finger reset,  I got two shots, one in each side of the base of the finger, which hurt worse than

the dislocation itself.   It was a good three minutes before it completely took effect, but it sure as hell did take complete

effect by that time.  It's like my finger wasn't even there.   It could have been chewed off by a rabit pit bull at that point

and I wouldn't have felt anything.

Next time, save the goat some suffering and wait three minutes between the injection and the nutting process.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#19]
All I can say is, I am NEVER going to THAT Ford Service Center.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
That reminds me, is it possible to castrate a Tom ?(Turkey), if you can do it to a chicken (Capon), then what about a Turkey?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#21]
We cut bull calves Friday, nuts in the freezer!  Good friend of mine has a Christmas shop party every year that features calve fries and mountain oysters.  I'll be donating them to the cause.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Ours were banded.  I suppose a zip tie would work.  Just do it early or they still behave like billys
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to help cut calves for a buddy of mine in Idaho. I'd end up with a couple of buckets o' nutz when we got done.

Another buddy of mine owned a tavern and had a broasting machine, (pressure deep-fryer), and a big beer garden with horseshoe pits. I'd bring the mountain oysters and he'd kick in a keg of beer.....best 'nut busts' I ever been to. Good times.

You miss out on a bunch of good eatin' using them damned 'emasculator' bands.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This hobby farm/growing food stuff has taught me a lot. Very strange for me to take an animal open his sack, and fray the cord to his testicles.

But I know basically how now, and should be able to perfect my ball removal technique so I can be better and faster in the future.

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/thetusken/?action=view¤t=video-2012-06-16-15-20-36.mp4

Why not just band them? It's 1000x faster, and ocne you get it done a few times, very effective .

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#26]
You will now be known as the Nutskin Raider.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
If you ever need extra work I'm sure a cartel will hire you!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#28]
uh no
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:05:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really?  because that looked pretty damn painful

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/thetusken/?action=view¤t=video-2012-06-16-15-20-36.mp4

Why not just band them? It's 1000x faster, and ocne you get it done a few times, very effective .

I admittedly know very little about it, but it's my understanding that banding them is far more painful, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:11:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All I can say is, I am NEVER going to THAT Ford Service Center.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/FordService.jpg

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Mahahahahaha means "no."  

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Done it a bunch. Just make sure you cut the bottom of the sack well enough that it drains, or ey can get a fairly nasty infection.

Those damn things are tasty when you fry them up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you ever need extra work I'm sure a cartel will hire you!

I actually thought the exact same thing
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I think this is a very useful skill for anyone who has a teenaged daughter who dates.....  
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#36]
It wasn't a Red Goat was it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#38]
we used to do that to our calves. now we use This

GR
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ours were banded.  I suppose a zip tie would work.  Just do it early or they still behave like billys

Zip ties will eventually run out of tension and you will be left with a rotting nut sack full of infected balls that will be left hanging by a thread of skin.  Very icky.  

Testicles are removed mostly because they affect the palatability of the meat.  Meat from intact males is much more gamy tasting.

It looks like the anesthetic kicked in just about the time the job was finished.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/thetusken/?action=view&current=video-2012-06-16-15-20-36.mp4

Wait 'till you have to de-horn them

'spent a LOT of mornings smelling that shit while bottle feeding the little ones (The bottle calms them down a "little").

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You started cutting just 10 seconds after finishing the injection and every time you touched the little guy's balls

with a sharp object he raised hell!    Didn't you connect the two events and stop to think  "Gee, maybe I need

to give the anaesthetic a little more time to work?"

RTFM next time.   The instructions with the anaesthetic will certainly say that it takes at least a minute to work properly.

When I had a dislocated finger reset,  I got two shots, one in each side of the base of the finger, which hurt worse than

the dislocation itself.   It was a good three minutes before it completely took effect, but it sure as hell did take complete

effect by that time.  It's like my finger wasn't even there.   It could have been chewed off by a rabit pit bull at that point

and I wouldn't have felt anything.

Next time, save the goat some suffering and wait three minutes between the injection and the nutting process.

CJ

That was a tetanus antitoxin. There was no anesthetic given. I looked at the feed stores for some but I think good drugs for that are prescription only. And nothing I read or researched led me to believe the average farmer use's anesthetic for the procedure.
The Goat is up walking around and eating this morning.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Nothing says "Happy Father's Day" quite like a thread on castration.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

CJ

LOL, buddy of mine and his wife have done better than a hundred in a day. No time for that, and he is so fast, he's DONE before they even know what's going on!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#44]
should have just tossed them to the dog. i bet he would have enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#45]

'spent a LOT of mornings smelling that shit while bottle feeding the little ones (The bottle calms them down a "little").

Admittedly, I know nothing about this. But why would you want to remove the horns?  Safety issues –– making sure they don't skewer other cattle?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That was a tetanus antitoxin. There was no anesthetic given. I looked at the feed stores for some but I think good drugs for that are prescription only. And nothing I read or researched led me to believe the average farmer use's anesthetic for the procedure.
The Goat is up walking around and eating this morning.

For veterinary purposes, local anaesthetics are probably much easier to get.

Ask your local veterinarian (one that deals with farm animals) for information about this.

I don't have a problem with eating animals, and I'm very realistic about how meat gets

from the pasture to the table, but I don't believe in causing needless pain.  If it cost me a

couple of bucks to give the animal an anaesthetic shot before nutting him, I'll spend a

few bucks to do exactly that.    

CJ

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Own a farm, worked on a 1000 head cattle farm, banding is the way it's done, even the old vets use it, you risk to much cutting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Admittedly, I know nothing about this. But why would you want to remove the horns?  Safety issues –– making sure they don't skewer other cattle?

We cut the bucks and dehorn all kids all at once, at 7-10 days old.

And STILL they are knocking heads a few days later!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#49]
One set of nuts won't make a meal. Get to cuttin.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Can you do that when they're younger?

The reason I ask is because when I used to stay on my uncle's farm back in the mid 70's I helped castrate a lot of little piggies.  He did them before they dropped when they were still really young.  I'd stand there holding both their right legs in my right hand, both left legs in my left hand, and upside down.  My uncle would use a simple straight razor to make a slit, and pop out the nuts and cut them off.  He also used wire cutters to trim a couple teeth, and cut the tail off too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top