Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2012 7:28:46 PM EDT
this is what i have access to as the local store... its 10%  Permethrin

reading this, looks like it may work?

google says Sawyer Permethrin Pump Spray, Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5%)....

1oz 10% Permethrin

15oz Water

or

5 1/2 ounces of Permethrin to 1 Gallon of Water

alos, this was found...

many agricultural products are oil based to aid sticking.  Use on clothing would result in stained clothing and long drying time and wasn't recommended.  Also some agricultural products also contain Piperonyl Butoxide(PBO) which is toxic.

I then purchased DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon which claims to be the only EPA registered permethrin 10% concentrate approved for use on clothing.  It is intended for use as a soak but I deluted it to .5% and use it as a spray like Sawyers.  It is $30 for 8 oz.  Mixed 20 to 1 it will make 168 oz of .5% spray or equal to 7 of the 24 oz bottles of Sawyers. Thats $30 vs $90.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
<––- scratches head

So you want to treat your clothes w/ the same stuff the Army treats theatre uniforms w/, which I spent an entire deployment avoiding wearing b/c I figure it can't be good to wear clothes impregnated w/ insecticide next to your skin for an entire year?

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

<––- scratches head

So you want to treat your clothes w/ the same stuff the Army treats theatre uniforms w/, which I spent an entire deployment avoiding wearing b/c I figure it can't be good to wear clothes impregnated w/ insecticide next to your skin for an entire year?

Gig 'em,

backbencher

i like lime less.... southern ohio is tick infested.... to the point i have stopped on the side of the road.. got out.. walked 2ft into the grass, stood for a few seconds as i glassed the field, got back in to the car and had 3 ticks on me...

considering i to tactical shoots in the part of town, were u lay in the grass for hours, ya.... thats what i want...
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Lymes disease is treatable with a few weeks of antibiotics. Actually I started feeling better after a day and a half of pills.

Who knows what the Permethrin will do to you long term.

Given the choice I say bring on the ticks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lymes disease is treatable with a few weeks of antibiotics. Actually I started feeling better after a day and a half of pills.

You spray he outside of a uniform, wearing a shirt underneath. Not having to deal with disease, which can do long-term, irreversible damage and leave you susceptible to that disease again is preferable. Malaria is not easily treated, either, so backbencher put himself in danger for no reason, not smart, which is what I have come to expect from him.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ticks don't worry me.

Chiggers do.

Permethrin isn't any more harmful than DEET, and should be fine to spray on most gear.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that what makes surplus stores smell like they do?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You spray he outside of a uniform, wearing a shirt underneath. Not having to deal with disease, which can do long-term, irreversible damage and leave you susceptible to that disease again is preferable. Malaria is not easily treated, either, so backbencher put himself in danger for no reason, not smart, which is what I have come to expect from him.

WTF bro...
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd  be  careful . That  shit  killed  my  dog. Exterminaters  came  in  saying  " this  stuff  is  very  safe  once  dry " . . . . . . yea . . . Read  the  can !  Causes  stroke .
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Just spray some bullfrog on your pants, it works for ticks and chiggers
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a resident (in a County Hospital)...we had a patient with Scabies.    They gave us:

To use.      

EVERY itch for weeks after that freaked all the residents out.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done a fair amount of research on Permethrin, as it's a key part of a bigger strategy for me to avoid having to take wheelbarrow-full levels of anti-malarials while working on assignment. Permethrin itself isn't as toxic as you might think, though it's not like I slather it on me.

The stuff most frequently used to treat clothes comes packaged with carriers that are more toxic than the permethrin itself. These carriers are what helps it saturate and bond to clothing for more than a single wash. Treating clothing with permethrin, *I suspect*, is fairly benign after the first wash. The worst carriers evaporate almost instantaneously, and the rest polymerize once it goes in the dryer. I suspect it's more toxic to pet your dog after treating with a spot-on treatment like Frontline than it is to wear permethrin impregnated clothes...in fact I'm positive of that fact.

Bottom line: I'm not sure you have the same lasting effectiveness from a water-based application in that it won't fully saturate the clothes fibers and bond, but it's a fair sight better than nothing. Oh, and for the record, I also suspect that permethrin is more benign than DEET for those really worried. DEET, which can be equally effective as a insect deterrent, is noxious-ass stuff. I won't apply that to skin under any condition, and with permethrin treated clothing I usually never have to. I've got piles of melted shoes, camera gear, baggage, and other plastic pieces that show the effects of DEET and I don't trust it at all.  

PS During hunting season I spend quite a bit of time laying on the ground in tick-ridden brush. Permethrin treated hunting camo is totally odorless to tasty deer, and I swear when I'm lying next to my hunting buddy, every tick underneath or around me runs away and straight onto him...because he refuses to treat his clothes with "expensive bug juice."
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wear a couple of flea and tick collars around each pant leg over yer boots.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#14]

I think that's the same product I buy from Tractor Supply to spray my dogs. I mix it per the label instructions for treating dogs and spray them during the Summer when the flies start to show up. After a few weeks, there are no more flies. It works great and the dogs have had no obvious side effects.  

This is the cheapest locally-available source of concentrated permethrin I've found.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know how much difference it makes to the bonding to clothing, but Sawyer's is water based, while what you are looking at contains petroleum distillates. These distillates have more of a tendency to stain clothing than does the water based mix and also take much longer to dry. I've used both water based and petroleum distillate based and the petroleum based take 3+ days to dry completely and for the odor to dissipate. The water based dries quicker (within a few hours) and leaves no odor.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When I was a resident (in a County Hospital)...we had a patient with Scabies.    They gave us:

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/pics/products/47293/0/permethrin.jpg

To use.      

AFARR

scabies suck, got them in high school from somebody.

the treatment is to slather yourself head to toe in permethrin before bed and leave it there until morning

so far so good, i've made it another 16 years without growing a third arm out of my ass

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To use.      

AFARR

scabies suck, got them in high school from somebody.

the treatment is to slather yourself head to toe in permethrin before bed and leave it there until morning

so far so good, i've made it another 16 years without growing a third arm out of my ass

Or you could use a few doses of oral ivermectin instead.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0915/p1089.html

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Use Sawyers brand

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#19]

FYI, the MSDS for that product shows that it is different from the cheaper permethrin the OP posted above. Sawyer's has 1% xylene and 98% 'inert ingredients'. 0.5% permethrin + 1% xylene alone in aqueous solution should be clear, but the MSDS describes this product as "milky white". I would wager that the inert component(s) that lend the milky white appearance are polymers intended to make the permethrin more persistent in clothing. If that's correct, the Sawyer's treatment should last longer than plain permethrin diluted in water. I've got no idea how much better that would work.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

snip.... but the MSDS describes this product as "milky white". I would wager that the inert component(s) that lend the milky white appearance are polymers intended to make the permethrin more persistent in clothing...snip

I've used both Durvet Permethrin 10% (petroleum distillates) as well as Martin's Permethrin 10% (Water Based) and when diluted to 0.5% with water, they are both milky white, so I don't think it has anything to do with the polymers, but is rather the permethrin itself.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF bro...

Probably referring to Backbencher leaving his hot girl friend with whole bunch of 1911s
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been using a synthetic derivated of  Permethrin, brand is Demon, or Cyper.  It's labeled safe for indoor use except not on surfaces used for food preparation.  Id does not have the odor of permethrin and lasts much longer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I use permethran in my garden all the time.  I buy it concentrated at the nursery.  It says you can spray it on vegtables up to the day before harvest.  No arm growing out of my ass yet either.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<––- scratches head

Gig 'em,

backbencher

The rest of the world sprays this shit in their baby formula.  US regs for it's use are unusual, and in light of the danger posed by tick borne disease, arguably harmful.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Some of the stages of Lyme are treatable with a short course of oral AB's.  Later stages are not.  Later stages are what leads to crippling and sometimes fatal effects.

There are known dangers with tick borne illness.  This trumps the imagined possibility that a chemical that has been extensively studied for decades without profound human dangers might be found to be harmful at some point down the line.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd  be  careful . That  shit  killed  my  dog. Exterminaters  came  in  saying  " this  stuff  is  very  safe  once  dry " . . . . . . yea . . . Read  the  can !  Causes  stroke .

They use it directly on dogs as a flea and tick treatment.  It kills cats dead though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<––- scratches head

Gig 'em,

backbencher

i like lime less.... southern ohio is tick infested.... to the point i have stopped on the side of the road.. got out.. walked 2ft into the grass, stood for a few seconds as i glassed the field, got back in to the car and had 3 ticks on me...  

considering i to tactical shoots in the part of town, were u lay in the grass for hours, ya.... thats what i want...

I think I was the only NCO at Ft. Knox using the issued kit that you soak your uniforms in, I'd rather have permethrin against my skin that the half dozen or so ticks I pick off every night during FTXs.

Even though we're infested with deer in SW Ohio, the ticks are nothing compared to W Kentucky.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't know how much difference it makes to the bonding to clothing, but Sawyer's is water based, while what you are looking at contains petroleum distillates. These distillates have more of a tendency to stain clothing than does the water based mix and also take much longer to dry. I've used both water based and petroleum distillate based and the petroleum based take 3+ days to dry completely and for the odor to dissipate. The water based dries quicker (within a few hours) and leaves no odor.  

if u look at the MSDS for
Sawyer's it
contains petroleum distillates as well
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just wear a couple of flea and tick collars around each pant leg over yer boots.

Yeah... No. Don't do that.

Here's why
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I spray this mixed with water on the cows all the time to keep off flies, and mix it with diesel for the back/face rub I have on the salt rack.

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Ceutic-Permectrin-II-32-oz/dp/B0002XJ132

Permectrin
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Flea and tick treatments are mostly permethrin, advantex and all the other treatments you apply directly to your dogs back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To use.      

AFARR

The joys of being a resident
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip.... but the MSDS describes this product as "milky white". I would wager that the inert component(s) that lend the milky white appearance are polymers intended to make the permethrin more persistent in clothing...snip

I've used both Durvet Permethrin 10% (petroleum distillates) as well as Martin's Permethrin 10% (Water Based) and when diluted to 0.5% with water, they are both milky white, so I don't think it has anything to do with the polymers, but is rather the permethrin itself.

I may be confusing two different products, then. I used deltamethrin to spray in and around the house for bugs last week. They say the memory is the first thing that goes...

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Have done it myself.

Don't remember the concentration or procedure -but I emulated whatever the big-name brand is.

Works great.  I don't like to wear it for really extended periods.

Keep permethrin as far away from cats as possible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I have used the Sawyer Military Style Clothing treatment and the Repel brand permanone with no issues.
I have read on Archery forums of guys diluting the stuff you can buy at Tractor Supply or Farm Fleet. The livestock and premise spray choices run from 10% to 2.5%. Premethrin<- LINK

I just read the one quoted below today.

Permethrin is the active ingredient in all of them that truly work. What you need to do is head down to tractor supply or lowes. Usually you can get a bottle of concentrate called Ortho Total Kill or a strait bottle of concentrate. If you get the Ortho, its a 2.5% permethrin, youll will mix this 5:1 with water. this gives you the same concentrate as No Stinkn Ticks or Sawyers. Check the bottle to see what your percentage is, obviously if its higher than 2.5 you need to redo the ratio to make it the same.

Put that concoction in a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store or where ever. Take it outside with all your clothes you plan to wear and DOUSE IT! DO NOT LET THIS MAKE CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN OR SPRAY YOUR SKIN DIRECTLY JUST LIKE OTHER TICK PRODUCTS. Let it dry outside until its 100% dry. Next time you hunt, you wont have a tick in sight. I lay it heavy on my pants cuffs, shirt cuffs, socks, anywhere you see they can get in.

If a tick gets on you, youll see it get sick quick and fall off. Its also... scent free ONCE DRY. And will withstand up to 6 weeks of use or 6 washes whichever comes first.

Use at your own risk but like I said, you can make gallons for the cost of one bottle of the other stuff. I found this on another forum awhile back and figured I would pass it on.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF bro...

Probably referring to Backbencher leaving his hot girl friend with whole bunch of 1911s

Among other things.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top