Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2012 3:46:34 AM EDT
Just wondering if they have that stupidity in Colorado like other states?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Virginia is an excellent gun right's state.  But most of the movie theaters here are posted with no weapons signs.  Which I construe to mean concealed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Virginia is an excellent gun right's state.  But most of the movie theaters here are posted with no weapons signs.  Which I construe to mean concealed.

Same with FL, I don't think I've ever seen a theater without a sign.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What was their sign?

In Texas,

is not legally binding of notification. The sign must be in accordance with 30.06 (yes, we get a joke out of that number). Mind one, though, that if a manager inside says that one cannot have a gun in there, then notification has been legally made and one must then depart.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
found on drudge-

From link-

This ordinance banning the carrying of "dangerous weapons" was deemed "unenforceable" when Colorado state prohibited cities and counties from enforcing such laws in 2003. After talking to officials the Aurora Police Department, we found that counties can now issue concealed-and-carry permits, BUT in Aurora, it is still against the law to fire the weaponunless at a shooting range (or if you are an officer on duty). Therefore, it would have been illegal for anyone to fire in the theater. Also, the theater reportedly had a ban on any and all weapons. Anyone without a conceal-and-carry permit in Aurora must also keep their guns unloaded unless at a range.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Cinamark has a no handgun policy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just read on drudge that Aurora has a law that makes firing a gun at anyplace other than a shooting range by anyone other than a police officer illegal.  So if a CCWer had shot him down, he'd have been committing a crime.

Also the entire city of Aurora has an ordanace on the books making carrying of "dangerous weapons" illegal.  The law was deemed unenforceable, but remains on the books.

This ordinance banning the carrying of "dangerous weapons" was deemed "unenforceable" when Colorado state prohibited cities and counties from enforcing such laws in 2003. After talking to officials the Aurora Police Department, we found that counties can now issue concealed-and-carry permits, BUT in Aurora, it is still against the law to fire the weaponunless at a shooting range (or if you are an officer on duty). Therefore, it would have been illegal for anyone to fire in the theater. Also, the theater reportedly had a ban on any and all weapons. Anyone without a conceal-and-carry permit in Aurora must also keep their guns unloaded unless at a range.

Does that report list the complete statute or references where it can be found?

As I have often noticed, people list the section of the law they want to make their point but often leave out the defenses and exceptions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was their sign?

In Texas,

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/No_guns.svg/336px-No_guns.svg.png

is not legally binding of notification. The sign must be in accordance with 30.06 (yes, we get a joke out of that number). Mind one, though, that if a manager inside says that one cannot have a gun in there, then notification has been legally made and one must then depart.

According to that sign, we can't bring in 1911s...but Glocks, Sigs and HKs and everything else are all perfectly good to go?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
In NC you can't take your legally carried concealed weapon in any location that charges a fee for entrance.  Theaters in NC are gun free no matter what the business wants.  At least free from legal CCW.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The signs mean jack shit in FL
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The back of my CCW does not list theatres as a place in which I can not carry.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Was the Colorado theater a gun free zone?

Obviously not.

The "gun free zone" is a myth. Hell, the government can't even keep all guns out of prisons.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if the theatre was chosen specifically because of the gun policies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To someone with a conscience who respects other people's shit it does. Same with shopping malls, and if I do go to a movie it's the 11am early bird where I'm the only asshole there. I hate crowded theaters

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]
IF it was gun free, how did he get 4 guns in?  Seems like a fail in security.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He walked through the front unarmed, had his car parked next to the emergency exit, so when he got into the theater he propped the door open and went and got the guns.

I used to go to this theater about a decade ago, not the greatest area to begin with, IIRC they typically had a few off duty cops there, apparently they didn't have them for the special screening.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Gun free zones are target rich envrionments to the nut cases, thugs and despots in our country, hell any country.

An unarmed society is a victim society, a victim society allows government to control their lives as government is responsible for thier safety.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was their sign?

In Texas,

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/No_guns.svg/336px-No_guns.svg.png

("Oh, Lord, give us a sign!"––the pilgrims, there is a flash of lightning and a traffic sign of "no parking, monday, wednesday, and friday" appears before them, (w,stte), an Omni cartoon)

I assume Glocks are permissible in places displaying that sign.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To someone with a conscience who respects other people's shit it does. Same with shopping malls, and if I do go to a movie it's the 11am early bird where I'm the only asshole there. I hate crowded theaters

Yeah I gotta go with this, I don't like it but I respect the property owners wishes I just try to avoid whenever possible.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:05:28 AM EDT
[#19]
A classic case of gun control being law dog piling.  It's not enough to have no assault, murder, etc on the books, we have to say that certain types of guns, magazines or places to take the guns are off limits.  He broke enough laws to put him away for life (death penalty?) without adding more to the books.  Obviously this guy didn't give a rip about laws and neither does anyone bent on harming others.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just read on drudge that Aurora has a law that makes firing a gun at anyplace other than a shooting range by anyone other than a police officer illegal.  So if a CCWer had shot him down, he'd have been committing a crime.

Also the entire city of Aurora has an ordanace on the books making carrying of "dangerous weapons" illegal.  The law was deemed unenforceable, but remains on the books.

As I have often noticed, people list the section of the law they want to make their point but often leave out the defenses and exceptions.

it does.   Aurora code sec 94-146a.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#21]
De jure, yes.  De facto, obvioulsy not.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it does.   Aurora code sec 94-146a.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I don't have the time right now to go through all the sections.............but review Article I-In General.
________________________________________________________________________________
("There are always possibilities."––Spock, (w,stte), "ST II:TWOK")
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I think this thread answered your question.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was their sign?

In Texas,

("Oh, Lord, give us a sign!"––the pilgrims, there is a flash of lightning and a traffic sign of "no parking, monday, wednesday, and friday" appears before them, (w,stte), an Omni cartoon)

According to that sign, we can't bring in 1911s...but Glocks, Sigs and HKs and everything else are all perfectly good to go?  

That's my interpretation as well...

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#25]
This will cost Cinemark many millions in lawsuit damages.

They prevent their customers from protecting themselves while on Cinemark's property but obviously failed to protect their customers themselves.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in South Florida, a liberal bastion, and I haven't seen a single anti-gun sign at any theater I have frequented.

There used to be a tiny, white, decal sign which listed carrying a concealed firearm as among a list of  many prohibited activities,  at one  of the entrances to the high end Boca Town Center Mall; but it's long gone probably because there was a serial killer active at that mall who has never been apprehended.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I gotta go with this, I don't like it but I respect the property owners wishes I just try to avoid whenever possible.  

I don't respect the wishes of anyone who, contrary to the laws of my state, want to deny me my right to carry a concealed firearm for my protection after opening their property to the public and extending to me the status of "invitee".

Piss on them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My right to survival and my duty to support and protect my family trumps any stupid liberal desires of property owners.

If they are open to the public, and I can legally carry there, I carry. Always.

If they don't want to operate a business in a carry state, they're welcome to fold up their tent and move on.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cinamark has a no handgun policy.

If only they had a no AR, and bomb policy everyone in the theater would have been safer...  It's their fault.

Why not just have a no shooting people policy?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I would imagine so. Seems 99% of these mass-shootings take place in 'gun free zones'.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Concealed means concealed.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A CHL holder who was in the theater should sue Cinemark for not protecting him when they had taken away his lawful right to defend himself.

Seriously, this is a lawsuit that needs to be tried and appealed to place liability on business entities that feel "uncomfortable" with CHL holders carrying their weapons.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) contacted TTAG to document Cinemark Holding‘s
firearms ban. The company’s website makes no mention of the policy and
their PR department’s not answering the phone. The SAF asked us to ask
our readers to provide a photo of the "no guns” notice. Several
commentators used their Google-Fu to find this notice. I guess they
forgot to mount it on the back of the exit door through which the Batman
Massacre shooter James Holmes entered.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#34]
While we can never know if a CCW holder could have lessened the tragedy, we DO know that gun free zone laws had ZERO effect.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#35]
They showed a pic of the sign on the door on the news briefly

OT:  I print signs, and when someone asks me to print a (non-compliant) "no guns" sign I'll use the silhouette of the most obscure handguns that come to mind just for the lulz

HK VP-70, Whitney Wolverine, Schofield, Gyrojet

I won't print a legally compliant 30.06 "no CCW" sign

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This will cost Cinemark many millions in lawsuit damages.

They prevent allow their customers from protecting themselves while on Cinemark's property but obviously failed to protect their customers themselves.

I was going to post about this.  Where do they stand here, legally?  Obviously Im free NOT to enter their theater under their protection without my own protection, but still, you've have to assume they mean to protect you?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine so. Seems 99% of these mass-shootings take place in 'gun free zones'.

I doubt it.  Pretty much every theater has a 'no guns' policy nowadays (if you look hard for their sign).  Plus, I would think that if someone was plugged in enough to evaluate a target based on this, they would also be plugged in enough to realize that many legal CCWers ignore those signs.

I haven't seen a map but I would be more likely to guess it was the nearest large theater to his apartment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was their sign?

In Texas,

I guess a 1911 is out for TX.

Good thing I'm in WY and do not carry a 1911.

Seriously, the local Sheriff here says "Concealed means concealed!"

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

....................... and if I do go to a movie it's the 11am early bird where I'm the only asshole there.  

Did that sentence structure convey what you wanted it to?

It leaves one wondering how many ordinary people were there at the same time you were.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I don't have the time right now to go through all the sections.............but review Article I-In General.
________________________________________________________________________________
("There are always possibilities."––Spock, (w,stte), "ST II:TWOK")

Thanks - It's in Section 94.144.

Section 94.144 - Unlawful Concealment and Display of a Weapon
(a) Concealment. Except as provided in subsection (b)
of this section it shall be unlawful for any person to wear under his or
her clothes
              or carry concealed on or about his or her person any
illegal or deadly weapon, including but not by way of limitation any
              firearm, slingshot, razor, dirk, dagger, or any knife,
nunchaku or throwing stars.

(b) It shall not be an offense of subsection (a) of this section if the defendant was:

(1) In compliance with the provisions of section 94-144.5, if applicable; or

(2) A person in a private automobile or other means of private
conveyance who carries a knife for lawful protection of such person's
              or another's person or property while traveling, or

(3) In his or her own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under his or her control at the time of the alleged
              violation; or

(4) A person who, at the time of carrying
the concealed weapon held a valid permit to carry such concealed weapon
issued pursuant
              to C.R.S. 18-12-105.1 as it existed prior to its repeal,
or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, held a valid permit to
              carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit
issued pursuant to part 2 of article 12 of title 18 of the Colorado
              Revised Statutes;
except that it shall be an offense
under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in
              violation of the carrying restrictions contained in
C.R.S. 18-12-214; or

(5) A peace officer, as described in Section
16-2.5-101, C.R.S. when carrying a weapon in conformance with the
policy of the employing
              agency as provided in Section 16-2.5-101(2) C.R.S.; or

(6) A United States Probation Officer or a
United States Pretrial Services Officer while on duty and serving in the
State of Colorado
              under the authority of rules and regulations promulgated
by the Judicial Conference of the United States.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt it. Pretty much every theater has a 'no guns' policy nowadays (if you look hard for their sign). Plus, I would think that if someone was plugged in enough to evaluate a target based on this, they would also be plugged in enough to realize that many legal CCWers ignore those signs.

I haven't seen a map but I would be more likely to guess it was the nearest large theater to his apartment.

Name a recent mass shooting that didn't take place in a 'gun free zone'.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

IIRC, the theatre was posted "No CCW".

However, the murderer ignored the sign. Go figure.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was their sign?

In Texas,

That's Racist
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://ttag.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Cinemark-gun-ban-notice-courtesy-vdcl.org_.jpeg

The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) contacted TTAG to document Cinemark Holding‘s firearms ban. The company’s website makes no mention of the policy and their PR department’s not answering the phone. The SAF asked us to ask our readers to provide a photo of the "no guns” notice. Several commentators used their Google-Fu to find this notice. I guess they forgot to mount it on the back of the exit door through which the Batman Massacre shooter James Holmes entered.

Thank god I don't carry a Beretta 92 or Taurus. So I guess other gun are legal, huh?

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Where Unlawful to Carry

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

Class 1 Misdemeanor the first time caught.

Class 6 Felony second time caught.

Class 5 Felony third time caught.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Concealed means concealed.

Except, in Virginia, a CHP holder is committing a crime if they enter posted property with a concealed handgun:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where Unlawful to Carry

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry; penalty.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.

Class 1 Misdemeanor the first time caught.

Class 6 Felony second time caught.

Class 5 Felony third time caught.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You cannot carry anywhere that charges admission in Va. Check the regs. Theatres charge admission.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He walked through the front unarmed, had his car parked next to the emergency exit, so when he got into the theater he propped the door open and went and got the guns.

I used to go to this theater about a decade ago, not the greatest area to begin with, IIRC they typically had a few off duty cops there, apparently they didn't have them for the special screening.

Must not have had a gun free zone sign on that emergency entrance then.

Think of how many lives could've been saved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#50]
OT: I print signs, and when someone asks me to print a (non-compliant) "no guns" sign I'll use the silhouette of the most obscure handguns that come to mind just for the lulz

You need to have a sign with a Dardick pistol.  It's one of the ugliest and least-practical guns ever made.  It looks more like a bad movie prop for a 50's flying-saucer movie than a real gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top