Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2012 4:15:30 AM EDT
I've debated about posting this as I expect there to be a few merciless souls out there to flame me on this.

This may not make sense to those of you who are fortunate enough to live in the foothills of NC where the water is tasty, but here in south Florida, the water sucks. Most bottled water tastes like ass as well. Even though it's expensive, I ordered twenty-four 1.5 liter bottles of FIJI water from Amazon, just to see if I'd drink it (I'm sure the UPS man loves delivering 10 gallons of water in boxes that look like they could contain toilet paper). After two weeks, the water is nearly gone. Considering what I spend on food, workout supplements, clothing, et cetera, 2-5$/day for water that I actually drink doesn't seem that bad, aside from getting past that I'm paying for imported water (the difference is less if you deduct what I spent on what I had been drinking).

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I hear ya OP.  Tap water here is disgusting to me for some reason so I buy Dasani. I really hate spending the money on water but whatever because the only way I can even think about drinking tap water is if it's literally ice cold. All things considered though I guess spending 4-6 bucks on a 24pack of 16.9oz waters isn't really that terrible although 3 cases is a Pmag
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Best water for sale in Florida  is Pure at CVS.
Get it on sale for $2.22/cs of 24.
The limit is 3 so I usually get 3 and so does wife.

Give 1 case a try for under $3.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Dasani is tap water

OP, we get the 2.5 gal dispenser type jugs of zephyrhills spring water from Wally world.  Cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Water should not cost more than gas. Buy a good filter.... or two?
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried the Brita pitcher & filters?  It certainly makes my tap water taste better.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Berkey water filter
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've debated about posting this as I expect there to be a few merciless souls out there to flame me on this.

This may not make sense to those of you who are fortunate enough to live in the foothills of NC where the water is tasty, but here in south Florida, the water sucks. Most bottled water tastes like ass as well. Even though it's expensive, I ordered twenty-four 1.5 liter bottles of FIJI water from Amazon, just to see if I'd drink it (I'm sure the UPS man loves delivering 10 gallons of water in boxes that look like they could contain toilet paper). After two weeks, the water is nearly gone. Considering what I spend on food, workout supplements, clothing, et cetera, 2-5$/day for water that I actually drink doesn't seem that bad, aside from getting past that I'm paying for imported water (the difference is less if you deduct what I spent on what I had been drinking).

is idiotic. you should buy air too. i'll sell you some for $1k a cubic foot.

seriously why don't you get a filter?  you could get a berkey lite and get the after filters for it for under $300
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at reverse osmosis filters for your sink.

You shouldn't have to buy water in containers unless you have no natural water source.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of the bottled water out there is just filtered tap water.  It's not all spring water like you are led to believe.  Get a Brita pitcher.  I've been using one for more than 10 years now.  Thats a lot of $ in water.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Have you tried the Brita pitcher & filters?  It certainly makes my tap water taste better.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/brita-filter.png

QTF.

Major improvement, and my wife and I like the OP like our water nice and cold.  I have a few friends who have installed the under-sink filter setups as well - not sure how well they work, but they swear by them.

ETA: Beaten by abnk on the RO system.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm

All the water I've ever encountered in Florida smells like sulphur.  I feel icky taking a shower in it.

As for all other bottled water tasting funny...I don't get that part.  Deer Park, Crystal, and Nestle all taste pretty normal to me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Look into an undersink Reverse Osmosis system. In the long run it should be cheaper and make you less dependent on a supply/delivery system.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a flame. I just returned to the US after 10 years of bouncing around the Caribbean, South America, and Mexico and love being able to drink from the tap. I cringe a little when co-workers talk about how shitty US tap water is. 80% of the world would love to access to our tap water. This is America land of a million choices and disposable income, we are lucky to have the option to turn our noses up at clean drinking water.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hear ya OP.  Tap water here is disgusting to me for some reason so I buy Dasani. I really hate spending the money on water but whatever because the only way I can even think about drinking tap water is if it's literally ice cold. All things considered though I guess spending 4-6 bucks on a 24pack of 16.9oz waters isn't really that terrible although 3 cases is a Pmag

Where the fuck are you in MD? Eastern Shore? Upper Bay? Everywhere else in the state has amazing water quality. If you'r on the shore, it's brackish, upper bay they chlorinate the fuck out of it. I live in Havre de grace and drink bottled water at home, but drink tap at work in Baltimore.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Paying for shipping on water has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Put in a god RO [reverse osmosis] undersink set up or a quality filter system and quit wasting your money. I don't understand why people think water companies have some secret super good water spring they get their water from. It tends to be the same stuff everyone else drinks in the area it's taken from. Ice Mountain is a local brand, they pump it from under the swamp by a river by my house, filter it and sell it to the masses. Ice Mountain my ass, and most water sale companies use whatever local water there is. They just filter it or RO it, bottle it, and distribute it for sale.

The other thing, draw some tap water and let it sit in the fridge a while to de-gas. It will usually diminish odor and taste you don't like quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Berkey Filter FTW.

Dont half step, do yourself a favor and do it right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a industrial sized RO system that pisses out perfect water at high velocity.  Money well spent, huge filters and membranes last forever.

Bottled water is an incredible scam and a wasteful amount of resources.  You don't need to be a hippie to be against that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#18]
OP
Its your money do what you want not what others think yo should do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes FL water sucks. Buy a filter or filtration system. In the long run you'll save money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Berkey Filter FTW.

Dont half step, do yourself a favor and do it right.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Considering what I spend on food, workout supplements, clothing, et cetera, 2-5$/day for water that I actually drink doesn't seem that bad

$2 * 365 = $730
$5 * 365 = $1825

Seriously, have should look into an RO system.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Paying for shipping on water has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Put in a god RO [reverse osmosis] undersink set up or a quality filter system and quit wasting your money. I don't understand why people think water companies have some secret super good water spring they get their water from. It tends to be the same stuff everyone else drinks in the area it's taken from. Ice Mountain is a local brand, they pump it from under the swamp by a river by my house, filter it and sell it to the masses. Ice Mountain my ass, and most water sale companies use whatever local water there is. They just filter it or RO it, bottle it, and distribute it for sale.

The other thing, draw some tap water and let it sit in the fridge a while to de-gas. It will usually diminish odor and taste you don't like quite a bit.

It's Amazon Prime, so whatever 70 lbs of water costs to ship is on somebody else.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#24]
try smart water instead, just as clean tasting/non-tasting as Fiji and you won't be supporting a suppressive Military gov't there

eta: dasani is good too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Plus, it's been said that it takes a quart of oil to import a bottle of FIJI water. I like that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/brita-filter.png

+1

The filters are available everywhere and compact.  They don't store (or they don't say you can store them) more than a year or two.

Costco, and other "club" stores seem to have them in bulk packs as does every Target, grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc.

I am sure the Pur brand ones are just as good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
get Deer Park to deliver 5 gal water dispenser bottles to you. They'll give you a free dispenser too.

Less than a buck a day.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to buy water in containers unless you have no natural water source.

FTW! We have this on our fridge. Our cold water and ice are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1.  Paying to bottle and ship water like that is
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#30]
A good UV purifier with filtration system does amazing things. Of course, really good ones are fucking expensive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been seriously considering buying one of these.

http://www.ecoloblue.com/
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#32]
$5 a day on....water? Wow, I don't spend anything close to that amount on food even.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Order one of these for $136 set up for drinking water.  You can even put a coconut shell carbon filter in it to improve the taste.  Filters should last six months or more depending on use and a replacement set is $22.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

QTF.  
Major improvement, and my wife and I like the OP like our water nice and cold.  I have a few friends who have installed the under-sink filter setups as well - not sure how well they work, but they swear by them.

ETA: Beaten by abnk on the RO system.

You dont understand
Much of floridas water contains tons of sulfur

My well water in ct is amazing, but we had delivery before we moved
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#35]
No Berkey love? I R Confused.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Bottled water?  The person who came up with the idea? Genius.  Reminds me of something Barnum said . . .
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No shit! $3-5 a day will buy you an RO system quickly enough.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#38]
The cheap Walmart brand water tastes pretty good around here...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Pfft...

I order oxygen and hydrogen in bulk from my wholesaler and just mix it at home myself.

I save tons this way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Mail order bottled water?  Seriously?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pfft...

I order oxygen and hydrogen in bulk from my wholesaler and just mix it at home myself.

I save tons this way.

Putting all those Hs and Os together by hand must take a while though.  How is the cost savings broken down?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No Berkey love? I R Confused.

A lot of people here probably don't know about it unless they have perused the survival forums. I have one and it's great.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The cheap Walmart brand water tastes pretty good around here...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Most of the store brand bottled water around here is made by Niagara out of...Ontario, CA tap water.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Plus, it's been said that it takes a quart of oil to import a bottle of FIJI water. I like that.

My inlaws lived in Florida. They had some sort of gizmo on their incoming water. Tasted normal to me.

But I own some Chevron stock, so by all means load up on the FIJI.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#46]
I just drink the water from my tap. The water meets all of the US EPA requirements, which is very strict. Save me a bunch of money. Bottled water is so expensive. The only bottled water that I drink is the Crystal Gyser Sparkling Mineral water, I get it for $1 for 1.25 litre bottle at the local supermarket.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I buy the Sam's Club brand $3.98 for (40) .5 liter bottles or $0.10 bottle.

Speed

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Have you tried one of the filters that you snap on to your tap? The water here isn't terrible, but it's better when run through a brita filter. A filter lasts a month and a half or so and runs about 10 bucks. We still keep a few cases of bottled water on hand, but that's primarily because you don't want to go anywhere in AZ without taking some water with you, and you sure as fuck don't want to be without water in an emergency.

Best of the bunch on bottled waters is Smart Water though. It's distilled and then has some electrolytes added back in. And you can probably find it at costco or walmart rather than having it shipped in-who the fuck pays for shipping on water?
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Buying FIJI water in bulk from Amazon

From what I know about the Amazon, I would not knowingly drink any water from it, unless someone held a gun to my head.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I notice none of my critics are writing from Florida
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top