Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:52:08 PM EDT
fucking morons!

working from home this afternoon and to relax, I shot couple BBs from a little daisy rifle I have sitting in the office room.  shot from 2nd floor windows, to the old ammo can sitting on the ground across backyard in the corner of solid wood fence 6 feet tall.

5 minutes later - 2 squad cars, 3 cops at my door - "did you shoot BB gun from the window?"

- "yes, is there a problem?"

- "yes, neighbor called on you - that you were sticking rifle from your window and he has 2 holes in his siding"

- "well, come to my office, take a look at what I was shooting at"

I showed them the BBgun, the ammo can that I shot at, they looked over my office - the gun cases in the corner, the safe, the hunting/shooting swag, checked my FOID card, and then told me that I can not shoot BBs on my property outside, can only do it inside the house!

they left and told me "not to do it again" and never told me which nejghbor called and where were the holes... I am super pissed... and need to so some research - I am in suburb of Chicago, in Cook Fucking County, but I never heard that I could not shoot BB guns on my property - all measly 1/4 acre, but I have 6 foot tall solid wood fence on all sides...

[/rant]

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Burn ALL of their houses down. To be sure ya know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice of you to invite them in to "look around" and see your stuff.

It could have ended badly for you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
no suprise....it is cook county afte rall.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]

But if you keep the barrel inside the house, doesn't that count as shooting inside the house even if the bb makes it to your back yard?

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Why did you let them in? Why did you admit to anything? If they had something they would have charged you. Probably some sort of city ordinance. And if at all possible leave IL!
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I would be pissed too.  Perhaps call the police back and ask for the information about the holes in siding "so you can make it right" with the owner.  If the holes suddenly disappeared, perhaps someone is guilty of the crime of filing a false police report.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Also it's time to update your siding.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would be pissed too.  Perhaps call the police back and ask for the information about the holes in siding "so you can make it right" with the owner.  If the holes suddenly disappeared, perhaps someone is guilty of the crime of filing a false police report.

Dispatch would never give him that info.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: I am in suburb of Chicago, in Cook Fucking County,

[/rant]

Found your problem right there....
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

fucking morons!

working from home this afternoon and to relax, I shot couple BBs from a little daisy rifle I have sitting in the office room.  shot from 2nd floor windows, to the old ammo can sitting on the ground across backyard in the corner of solid wood fence 6 feet tall.

5 minutes later - 2 squad cars, 3 cops at my door - "did you shoot BB gun from the window?"

- "yes, neighbor called on you - that you were sticking rifle from your window and he has 2 holes in his siding"

I showed them the BBgun, the ammo can that I shot at, they looked over my office - the gun cases in the corner, the safe, the hunting/shooting swag, checked my FOID card, and then told me that I can not shoot BBs on my property outside, can only do it inside the house!

they left and told me "not to do it again" and never told me which nejghbor called and where were the holes... I am super pissed... and need to so some research - I am in suburb of Chicago, in Cook Fucking County, but I never heard that I could not shoot BB guns on my property - all measly 1/4 acre, but I have 6 foot tall solid wood fence on all sides...

[/rant]

What a colossally bad decision.

That's so dumb I'm really not sure if this story is even real. Count yourself lucky and know better for the next time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you had done something illegal they would have arrested you.

Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You said you work from home so home can be anywhere? Sounds like time to move to a free state,you rent the truck and I'll drive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fucking morons!

[/rant]

That's so dumb I'm really not sure if this story is even real. Count yourself lucky and know better for the next time.

Well, I didn't do anything illegal and had all my ducks in a row, I know that I was shooting in "safe manner" and they knew it too - otherwise they would not just leave.  I try not to start confrontation with the LEO if I have nothing to worry about legally

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you by any chance checked into your local ordinances on BB guns?

If there is a law against it then you invited the man into your life.  Then your house

Schaumburg:
"airguns may be fired within a residence or household under the supervision of an adult member of the household"

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/schaumbu.pdf
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I though it sounded ridiculous, until I opened the thread and realized you're in Illinois (and that county).

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I was about to comment on the mental retardation of your neighbor, but then noticed where you're from....
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotta be trollin. I don't think any gun owner in cook county would think it was a good idea to stick a rifle (even a BB gun) out thier window knowing it's occupied territory. Then invite the cops to look around.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Most cities do not allow the discharge of a firearm in city limits. And yes... They count BB guns as a firearm in many of them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You said you work from home so home can be anywhere? Sounds like time to move to a free state,you rent the truck and I'll drive.

usually I don't work from home, but could easily find a job in any large metro area - however, my wife is stuck here because of her family...and I am not yet ready to divorce her.  (pics later)

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most cities do not allow the discharge of a firearm in city limits. And yes... They count BB guns as a firearm in many of them.

Many of the cities in my AO have a separate city ordinance for air/spring guns so as not to confuse the issue with firearms, which is clearly a little more serious.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why did you let them in? Why did you admit to anything? If they had something they would have charged you. Probably some sort of city ordinance. And if at all possible leave IL!

They would have made it into a public safety issue, made up some lame ass reason to enter the property, probably say the home owner assaulted them and made this into a huge issue. Why even bother anymore.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I know that you are not allowed to discharge firearms but was fairely sure that BB guns are not firearms and the fact the Cops left without any issues - probably they are not, but I will check on it for sure

my town is half in Cook and half in Lake county, PD is actually in Lake and I live 300 yards from county line :(

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Nice of you to invite them in to "look around" and see your stuff.

It could have ended badly for you.

yeah dude... bad move.

sucks that you have a NAZI neighbor somewhere.

you gotta figure that out.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They would have made it into a public safety issue, made up some lame ass reason to enter the property, probably say the home owner assaulted them and made this into a huge issue. Why even bother anymore.

exactly, they would enter anyways as there was a complaint and would be in a worse mood to add to the situation.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't think it was the actual shooting of the BB gun that did the OP in.

It was probably screaming out: "TAKE THATJFK!" every time he pulled the trigger that got the neighbors on the phone with the po-po.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
fucking morons!

[/rant]

Well, I didn't do anything illegal and had all my ducks in a row, I know that I was shooting in "safe manner" and they knew it too - otherwise they would not just leave.  I try not to start confrontation with the LEO if I have nothing to worry about legally

Yes, you probably did.

If there's a firearms discharge prohibition in your area, and if that extends to any air-powered projectile weapon (there may or may not be a muzzle energy threshold*), then yes, you did break the law.  Probably just a misdemeanor, but one that involves confiscation.  You're lucky those cops just didn't want to do the paperwork.

* Yes, in some jurisdictions, it's technically illegal to fire a Nerf gun, the way the laws are written.  Bottom line is YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS LEGAL AND WHAT IS NOT, so you need to SHUT YOUR MOUTH when talking to the cops.  There it is, as plainly as I can say it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Just last month my neighbor and his son were discharging a air rifle at some rats and they were promptly...

Reported
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Move to free state.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#30]
You need some kids and toy guns. Let them shoot out the window.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Move.

I swear if every true freedom loving gun owner moved to, say, Wyoming or Montana, we could have a hell of a fun time.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Hell, I know guys that hunt dove and coyote in Chicago city limits with shotguns.  

But they're cops.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just last month my neighbor and his son were discharging a air rifle at some rats and they were promptly...

Reported

Be glad you don't live next to me.

Jeebus.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#34]

And then this.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

no suprise....it is cook county afte rall.

No shit. Surprised he's not writing this from cell #87

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd be shooting my AR out my window next.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dispatch would never give him that info.
A call report to the dispatcher is public info.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I once showed an air rifle to my now ex FIL and he was out on the lawn looking through the red dot scope.  Did not even shoot the gun, he was just looking through the scope and the cops showed up.  It was a non event, but still WTF?  Just remember, morons are everywhere.  Always some damn ol lady looking out a window or some anti gunner.  There was once a shooting in the area and a female manager of the place I used to work said, can you imagine they had a GUN in the house?  I said I have a safe full in mine.  I was laid off shortly after that.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Shoot bb guns in my yard. Have done it since I was a kid. All the neighbor kids did the same. My next door neighbor had some hay bales out back and he used to shoot arrows into it.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I gotta say, if some guy was shooting out a window with my house in the background, I wouldn't be too joyful about it. Just what I want is my windows and potentially safety in the hands of some dude's marksmanship, sweeping the shit out of my living room windows as he goes from a ready position to aiming at the target.

Your noodle, fuckng use it. Go outside and shoot toward your own damn house.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I gotta say, if some guy was shooting out a window with my house in the background, I wouldn't be too joyful about it. Just what I want is my windows and potentially safety in the hands of some dude's marksmanship, sweeping the shit out of my living room windows as he goes from a ready position to aiming at the target.

This is almost like a thought crime, coming after someone for what they might do or say. Wait until they guys breaks your window before freaking out, no reason to call the cops on someone for what they may or may not do.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Reported

Hit you,  did they ?

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is almost like a thought crime, coming after someone for what they might do or say. Wait until they guys breaks your window before freaking out,

Nah, I don't want to deal with a broken window, schedulling contractor, taking time off to be home to let them in, etc. What if it's not my window? What if it's my dog's eye? What if it's my kid's eye? Morons are the reason we end up with 50,000 laws. People can't figure out bad ideas on their own, so they have to pass laws defining every bad idea.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reported

Hit you,  did they ?
They almost got Mittens!

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is almost like a thought crime, coming after someone for what they might do or say. Wait until they guys breaks your window before freaking out,

Nah, I don't want to deal with a broken window, schedulling contractor, taking time off to be home to let them in, etc. What if it's not my window? What if it's my dog's eye? What if it's my kid's eye? Morons are the reason we end up with 50,000 laws. People can't figure out bad ideas on their own, so they have to pass laws defining every bad idea.

He'll shoot your eye out. He'll shoot your eye out.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Someone please direct the OP to the thread about the guy who had all his guns taken away in Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Many cities do not allow the discharge of an air rifle or BB gun in the city limits.  It's fine in the unincorporated area that I'm in, but not in the city limits a mile or so away.  Might check your ordinances.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#50]
If you move a few miles north the air smells a little better and the land feels a little freer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top