Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/27/2012 5:58:30 AM EDT
I'm a mid 30's professional from Dallas who travels regularly for my job.  Whenever I am on-site I wear suits.  Yesterday I was walking down the stairs in my last pair of leather dress shoes and I had the sole split on me.  Instead of having a cobbler fix these, or buying new ones...I'm thinking of buying nice cowboy boots to go in their place.  

What say you, hive?  Are cowboy boots and a business suit acceptable?
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Only with the Stetson and a bolo tie...

ETA: plus you need the caddy with the long horns on the grille.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally don't like it, but I see it every day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
in Texas, certainly

I wouldn't try it north of the Ohio river though
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
White cowboy boots would look dapper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Acceptable if you work in oilk & gas or are a cattle baron, otherwise, tough to pull off for most people.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
in Texas, certainly

Nonsense, we don't mind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I wore suits and boots for years back in the '80s.

Even folks in New York City liked them.

Go for it. Dan Post fit me the best.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

in Texas, certainly

This.

I mean, you can do it, but folks aren't going to take you too serious

Speed

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I would say yes. Just look at some squared or rounded toe.  I actually prefer boots. BTW, they are western boots. Not "cowboy boots".  (kinda like the clip vs. magazine thing)
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I say go for it. get a pair of pimp ostrich or snake skin. I have friends that rock it
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would say yes. Just look at some squared or rounded toe.  I actually prefer boots. BTW, they are western boots. Not "cowboy boots".  (kinda like the clip vs. magazine thing)

All the boot shops in Dallas/Ft. Worth say you are wrong..."Cowboy Boots" listed exclusively on their websites and store fronts:

http://www.cavenders.com/
http://www.sheplers.com/
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I say go for it. get a pair of pimp ostrich or snake skin. I have friends that rock it

I don't think I'm "pimp" enough for snake skin, but ostrich is a definite possibility...as is a nice set of cigar colored alligators.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm a mid 30's professional from Dallas who travels regularly for my job.  Whenever I am on-site I wear suits.  Yesterday I was walking down the stairs in my last pair of leather dress shoes and I had the sole split on me.  Instead of having a cobbler fix these, or buying new ones...I'm thinking of buying nice cowboy boots to go in their place.  

What say you, hive?  Are cowboy boots and a business suit acceptable?

I think that it's OK. As long as they are polished and not too outlandish you'll be fine. I need a black pair to go with my charcoal suit. My everyday brown leather boots are a little rough for a suit.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Wear U.S. Army Vietnam style jungle boots with your suit. Blouse your pant legs and put on a crisp, new boonie hat and aviator shades.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say acceptable in TX, OK, and the Southwestern states,  would be out of place in NYC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fuck square-toed cowboy boots!
Anything else is fine as long as they are dress boots. Distressed leather is not acceptable while wearing a suit, even if they are nice, new, and clean.

a-bare
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I have worn cowboy boots with a suit every day for the last 3 years.

I'm not even a Texan.

Lots and lots of people do it here in work too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#23]
My old company was transplanted to Downtown Nashville from San Francisco.

The Director / VP of the office decided that he would fit in with Nashville.....and wear cowboy boots with his suit.

So it was allowed at the office.

I've never seen it done other than there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I did it for a while. Our company even had an online course for the office dress code. (We had online courses for everything!) They had some sort of style expert talk about not wearing boots with a suit.

Fuck the style experts, who says they're right? Most of them poke each other in the ass, do you want to follow that trend?

We were headquartered in Houston, and my office was 90 miles away. We wore boots with our suits, the guys in Houston wore boots with their suits. They went overboard with their dress code when people started complaining that I didn't wear white shirts. Apparently there was some unwritten dress code that frowned on non-white shirts with your suit or sports coat. 18 months of nitpicky shit like that and I got the fuck out of there.

I live in Texas, not New York. I don't even own a pair of dress shoes, I've got 3 pairs of dress boots though. 2 black, one brown.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would say acceptable in TX, OK, and the Southwestern states,  would be out of place in NYC.

I would agree with this.

But I have never lived there so just a guess on my part.

But just like with dress SHOES, make sure the boots are clean and well polished.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I am your age and demographic and I plan to do it next time I get suits.

Is the cut of your suit pants going to work with boots? Mine don't. I'll have to get some tailored for boots. Plan to have three pairs of boots slacks and three pairs of matching regular slacks so I can wear either.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Should look great.  Don't forget to finish the look with a stupid hat:

TV Lawyers and their Stupid Hats
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Nothing wrong with a pair of high end Cowboy Boots, usually a good conversation starter with Yankees, Southerners don't notice, and West Coasters don't care.  My personal observation, must be a good pair, $90 pair won't cut it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Mexican pimp look is your ticket to success.

Wearing costume footwear from last century, it's classy.

Is 1BigDog here yet?

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#31]
It looks dumb IMO.  Are you going to add a bolo tie with it?

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#32]
It works for our idiot governor, but then he is a liberal douche.
YMMV
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Ask yourself, "Do I want to look like Gene Simmons?"

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Count the number of men in suits with cowboy boots the next time you're in the office.

I wouldn't recommend the pair you use to work calves, although that would resonate with the right client.

over 50%
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:42:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It looks dumb IMO.  Are you going to add a bolo tie with it?

Just because they don't look good with scrubs or cheap suits you don't have to rain on our parade
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I wear boots with suits, but I also have caps.  To me, the boots are slightly more casual.

I think it's a matter of taste, but as long as the boots or shoes are well maintained you're ok unless they're some kind of flashy exotic shit or oddly colored/stitched, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only Two Words "Fuck" and "Yes"  I wear boots because they make my tongue longer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only Two Words "Fuck" and "Yes"  I wear boots because they make my tongue longer.

if I had 7" platforms with demon head soles I'd rock that shit every day, even with shorts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if I had 7" platforms with demon head soles I'd rock that shit every day, even with shorts.

And the thread has officially plunged into the GD abyss.  At least I got some good discussion before we went full retard.

You never go full retard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the thread has officially plunged into the GD abyss.  At least I got some good discussion before we went full retard.

You're in Texas. The origin of retard.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if I had 7" platforms with demon head soles I'd rock that shit every day, even with shorts Jorts.

Nope, now full retard
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Good enough for for Ron:

Good enough for George:

Hell - even good enough for Bill:

Good enough for me, I see it all the time here in AZ - some people can pull it off, others can't.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Absolutely NOT, unless you want to look like some cheap-ass Oklahoma ambulance chasing lawyer...
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, origin of retard is France...the monarchial inbreeding caused it to appear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, origin of retard is France...the monarchial inbreeding caused it to appear.

HHHmmm kinda explains what's wrong with Louisiana then I guess
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry for ruining the decorum of GD.

You may now go back to discussing costume footwear for the business professional.

I like a nice dark suit with hoplite sandals. It conveys dedication of purpose, and a never-say-die attitude.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Do it, but you'll likely need to have your pants tailored to be a bit longer.

Rios of Mercedes and Rod Patrick make some very nice boots if you can find them.

You may want to go for a single stitch v. the double stitch for a dressier look.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.

Personally I wouldn't do it unless they're subtle. If the suit has a western cut, more acceptable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My "legit" comments were made beforehand.

I'd still rock the "Love Gun" boots forever.  They could sit next to my Tony Lamas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top