Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/13/2012 2:02:52 PM EDT
I am a trap shooter and go through a lot of ammo.  Today I went to Dick's to buy shotgun shells and was asked to punch in on the credit card reader that I was a U.S. Citizen.

When I asked why, I was told by several sales clerks (and later a customer service rep by phone) that "that was the  law."

I asked what law and got doubletalk for an answer.
1) I don't like being lied to.

2) I am very wary of any attempt to make you jump through another hoop to buy ammo.

3) What's next––got to bring a birth certificate?
If Dick's wants to do that and keep me as a customer––no way!!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am a trap shooter and go through a lot of ammo.  Today I went to Dick's to buy shotgun shells and was asked to punch in on the credit card reader that I was a U.S. Citizen.
When I asked why, I was told by several sales clerks (and later a customer service rep by phone) that "that was the  law."

2) I am very wary of any attempt to make you jump through another hoop to buy ammo.

I only hope that one day my life is so boring that this is the kinda shit that I worry about. Whats next? Throwing a hissy because WalMart asked for a date of birth for a can of carb cleaner??
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that's becuse you live in a sucky state.  No such issue here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Send them a note.
I would.

There is no reason on this planet why they need that info.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I was up in NJ visiting a friend and they wanted to see his firearms ID card so he could buy a fucking EMPTY ammo can. Yeah, fuck that. I refuse to give them any more of my money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No! I live in a sucky state.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sucky  state? I would love to live in PA. You should see the BS in Ma and CT
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only hope that one day my life is so boring that this is the kinda shit that I worry about. Whats next? Throwing a hissy because WalMart asked for a date of birth for a can of carb cleaner??

So much to learn son, so much to learn...
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A sucky state that ALLOWS open carry. How's that working out for you in Texas? Oh yes BTW, no 30.06 signs up here either.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Took you long enough.

Dick's is a retailer of last resort for me.  I guess if they had some ridiculous sale on something I really wanted I might be tempted to go there, but I doubt it.

Fuck that place.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What if you pay cash?

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I know in Illinois, you gotta show ID to buy Drano
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
That's probably what they were told.  I doubt a bunch of minimum wage retail counter jockeys are conspiring against you.  But if that's what you want to think, go right ahead.

Just make sure you're wearing your tin foil briefs so when the TSA goes by your house with their backscatter x-ray scanner, they can't post pics of your junk on the interwebs.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Dick's can choke on a bag of their namesake.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You weren't lied to.... you are just ignorant of the law. You may want to tahnk them for doing what is right and apologize for bashing a store that was trying to prevent illegal aliens from purchasing ammunition

18 USC 922

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise
dispose of any firearm or ammunition
to any person knowing or
having reasonable cause to believe that such person -
(1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court
of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one
year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled
substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been
committed to any mental institution;
(5) who, being an alien -
(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I felt the same way, then last week I stopped in one and they had shotgun shells on clearance.
I snagged some shells and some PMC .223, punched in my info and de-assed the place in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You weren't lied to.... you are just ignorant of the law. You may want to tahnk them for doing what is right and apologize for bashing a store that was trying to prevent illegal aliens from purchasing ammunition

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or
year;
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

i'd also think it's a bad thing to sell ammo to anybody not a citizen...not sure how to go about that though...profiling works though..ususally
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I cant believe anyone shops at Dicks for ammo or anything else. Even their sale prices are high. All those fancy name brand north face/columbia clothes they sell are made in vietnam and china... 80 bucks for a pair of vietnamese pants with an american companies logo on it? No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
So, you weren't required to prove you were a citizen, just push a button saying that you were?

1. I would have pushed the button and left with my ammo.
2. What the fuck does that accomplish anyway? The illegals can push the same button as us. Proves nothing. CYA shit from Dick's legal team.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck Disk's.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
If I were legally visiting another country, and wished to purchase ammunition, I would like to be able to do so.

So, I am more than happy to see legal aliens purchasing either firearms or ammunition in my country.

Illegal aliens?  No, they should not be able to purchase either firearms or ammunition.  They should be able to purchase a ticket back home, however.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In southern AZ I appreciate it when a gun store asks if you are an American Citizen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I love Dicks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or

year;

Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

Tougher laws to by ammo than to vote

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've never had to press a button verifying that i was a US citizen to buy ammo.

But don't let that stop you from masterbating
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You used to have to fill out an ammunition log when you bought ammo in Texas. Not anymore but still.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, you weren't required to prove you were a citizen, just push a button saying that you were?

1. I would have pushed the button and left with my ammo.
2. What the fuck does that accomplish anyway? The illegals can push the same button as us. Proves nothing. CYA shit from Dick's legal team.

It's probably just a desperate attempt to fend off bullshit lawsuits

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#27]
This happened to me on July 4. Nobody seem to give a shit then. I haven't bought ammo from them again. It's more there than any where else other than Gander Mtn.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or
year;
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

He is not ignorant of the law.

It is not illegal for aliens to buy/possess ammo. Being a US citizen does prove that you are not an illegal alien but you can be a non US citizen and still legally buy it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Huh?
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is not illegal for aliens to buy/possess ammo. Being a US citizen does prove that you are not an illegal alien but you can be a non US citizen and still legally buy it.

Did you read the law I posted? If you have additional information, I would like to read it.

I also did not look up his state's law, which may be even more restrictive.

ETA- here is another summary that may be easier for you to read  Source

QUICK REFERENCE TO
FEDERAL FIREARMS LAWS
I. POSSESSION OF A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED
PERSON:
18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. May receive
minimum sentence of 15 years without parole if offender has three or more prior
convictions for a felony crime of violence (e.g. burglary, robbery, assault, possession
of offensive weapons) and/or drug trafficking felony.
Elements
A. Possession or receipt of a firearm or ammunition;
B. By a subject who falls within one of the following categories:

Felon - (Additionally, persons awaiting trial on felony charges are prohibited from receiving
firearms.);
Drug user or addict - (Often shown where paraphernalia seized, subject tests positive for drugs
and/or subject claims drugs were possessed for personal use.);
Alien - (Includes illegal aliens and aliens lawfully admitted under non-immigrant visas, i.e., those
aliens not admitted for permanent residence. This provision does not prohibit aliens who lawfully
possess a so-called “green card” from possessing guns or ammunition.);
Is subject to a domestic restraining order - (The order must prohibit contact with an intimate
partner, or child of the subject, and must have been issued only after a hearing of which the
subject was notified and at which the subject had an opportunity to participate. The order must
also find the subject poses a threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child or must
prohibit the use, threatened use or attempted use of physical force.);
Has a prior conviction for domestic assault - (Includes a prior conviction for any assault or
threatened use of a deadly weapon against a present or former spouse or partner or child or
guardian of any such person. The subject must have been entitled to a jury trial and been
represented by counsel in the prior proceeding or be shown to have waived those rights.);
Fugitive from justice - (Fled any state to avoid being prosecuted or to avoid testifying in any
criminal proceeding.); or
Dishonorably discharged from the military; AND
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the law I posted? If you have additional information, I would like to read it.

Erasmus_Jones is correct. LEGAL aliens can purchase ammo. ILLEGAL aliens would be violating the law you posted.

If they have a green card they are good to go to purchase ammo. ETA: and firearms too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sucky state that ALLOWS open carry. How's that working out for you in Texas? Oh yes BTW, no 30.06 signs up here either.

No one asking me stupid questions to buy ammo OR guns.  It's even stacked out in the middle of the floor. Just load up a cart and go.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You used to have to fill out an ammunition log when you bought ammo in Texas. Not anymore but still.

Nope, never done that either.  Now, when I was stationed in GA, yes I did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

We thought you might.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes I just had that happen to me, and I said America Fuck Ya.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one asking me stupid questions to buy ammo OR guns It's even stacked out in the middle of the floor. Just load up a cart and go.

I think you may have some mis-perceptions about Pennsylvania.  Just because PA borders NY & NJ does not make it similar.

PA's a pretty gun friendly state.  The only negative thing I can think of with regard to PA firearms laws is no FTF handgun transfers.

Also, I don't think you've shopped at Dick's lately.  It's not just a name, it's a way of life.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I make it a point to not shop at Dicks mainly because their prices are insanely high.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea about the intricacies of PA law, I am talking about things on a federal basis.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-18.pdf
Purchasing ammunition from a Federal
Firearms Licensee (FFL) or a nonlicensee
to possess in the United States
❖   A nonimmigrant alien generally MAY NOT purchase ammunition from an FFL or a nonlicensee to
possess in the United States.  If you violate this
prohibition, you could receive a maximum of 10
years of imprisonment.
THIS PROHIBITION APPLIES UNLESS YOU ESTABLISH
THAT YOU:
❖    Are an official representative of a foreign
Government who is accredited to the United
States Government or your Government’s
mission to an international organization having
its headquarters in the United States and will
possess the ammunition in your official
capacity; OR
❖    Are an official of a foreign Government or a
distinguished foreign visitor who has been so
designated by the Department of State and will
possess the ammunition in your official
capacity (if you have an official capacity); OR
❖    Are a foreign law enforcement officer of a
friendly foreign Government entering the
United States on official law enforcement
business; OR❖ Were admitted to the United States for lawful
hunting or sporting purposes or are in possession of a valid hunting license or permit
lawfully issued in the United States.

There have, however, been some recent changes (no longer a 90 day residency for NIA's), so I am not sure exactly what may have changed.
The above is only for NIA's. Resident aliens are not subject to the general NIA prohibition.

All I am saying is that being an alien does not automatically prohibit you from buying/possessing ammo, as you seemed to have suggested. Therefore, the "Are you a US citizen" question cannot be an absolute indicator of that person's ability to legally purchase ammo (with regards to citizenship/immigration status).

ETA: Here is an excerpt from the latest decision. I am not a lawyer so do not take my commentary as legal advice.
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/06/07/2012-13762/firearms-disabilities-for-certain-nonimmigrant-aliens-2001r-332p
Upon review of the comments and in light of the OLC opinion, the Department is issuing a final rule that applies to the firearms disabilities in section 922(d)(5)(B) and 922(g)(5)(B) only to aliens admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)). Nonimmigrant aliens lawfully admitted to the United States without a visa, pursuant either to the Visa Waiver Program or other exemptions from visa requirements, will not be prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing firearms or ammunition, and the regulations will also no longer proscribe the sale or other disposition of firearms or ammunition to such nonimmigrant aliens. [3]

From reading this decision, it would appear that the NIA prohibition now only applies to NIA's admitted under a NIA visa, and that the above ATF pamphlet now needs to be amended. (again, I am no lawyer).
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one asking me stupid questions to buy ammo OR guns It's even stacked out in the middle of the floor. Just load up a cart and go.

I think you may have some mis-perceptions about Pennsylvania.  Just because PA borders NY & NJ does not make it similar.

PA's a pretty gun friendly state.  The only negative thing I can think of with regard to PA firearms laws is no FTF handgun transfers.

Also, I don't think you've shopped at Dick's lately.  It's not just a name, it's a way of life.

I'm quite familar with PA.

I bought ammo at Dick's on Monday.  16 ga (the only place locally that carries it in anything other than steel shot) and 12 ga. $4 less a hundred rd value pack than WalMart.  Three Mojo doves, $6 less each than WalMart, $9 less tha Cabela's.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
They have some good deals, you have to pick and choose.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Now that I think about it, the last time I bought ammo at Rural King, they asked if I was a resident of Illinois.  Apologizing all the time.  I said no, I am a resident of Kentucky.

Not sure what he would have done had I said yes, as he had already taken my money, given me my change, and I had the box in my hands.  I think Rural King is headquartered in Illinois, and maybe some Illinois good old boys have been coming into Kentucky and buying ammunition, contrary to Illinois law.

Anyway, I never showed any non-Illinois ID, and the guy seemed almost embarassed to ask.  I try not to get too shook up over stupid corporate policies.  Though I do tend to prefer to patronize smaller shops to avoid such nonsense.  Hard to do nowadays, however.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Why do you think they call it Dicks? The name reflects the people that work there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they WERE asking for more identification to buy a box of shotgun shells than you need to present to vote in some states.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No! I live in a sucky state.  

Bitch please
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
<Snip>

i'd also think it's a bad thing to sell ammo to anybody not a citizen...not sure how to go about that though...profiling works though..ususally

What about legal aliens?
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Nope.  I'm in PA also and I just bought 200 rounds of 12ga target load last Friday at Dick's.  No such question asked of me, just "have fun".

From what I hear, our gun laws are better than your state too.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Why aren't you rolling your own?  That was the only way I could afford to shoot trap with premium loads.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah it was funny when I bought my Marlin 795 and a brick for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top