Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I get the email every year for the brief.

Are these emails sent out on an MOS-related basis, i.e infantry, Ranger, SF, etc.? Or can a cook still technically go?
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
anyone can try out.

It helps to be invited to get selected.

half who try out finish selection (give or take)
maybe 10% actually get the invite, however.

especially for officers.
My info is years out of date, however.

What little I have dealt with them, they struck me as very professional.

So it's my understanding that Camp Dawson is the selection portion. You mean only 10% get the invite after selection? I'm surprised half make it through Dawson. That ~ 45 mile compass course/ruck march is a killer!

So that is where in WV they go!  I know where Camp Dawson is.  Been there.  Preston Co. Cheat River.

Did a sleep study on a guy who was in 5th SFG. He was an E-7. He had been in CAG for a while and then went back to SF (didn't say why, I didn't ask). I did ask him how the hell he ever did that 45 miler. He kinda looked at me like how did I know about that, then smiled and said "I really don't know. All I remember is that it was dark when I started and dark again when I finished."

"Do the best you can." All the info you'll apparently get with regards to how long you have to complete the damn thing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Platoon Sergeant for my Company's 1st Platoon was former Delta. He was a medic. Dude had a long tab and everything.

Surprised a guy like that would want to go back to being a Line dog after spending time in CAG and Special Forces.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Platoon Sergeant for my Company's 1st Platoon was former Delta. He was a medic. Dude had a long tab and everything.

Surprised a guy like that would want to go back to being a Line dog after spending time in CAG and Special Forces.

I have heard that Delta, like any other unit, has X amount of slots for various ranks. Don't know about going to an infantry unit, but some go back to SF to make rank and then go back to Delta (this from my buddy who is a retired SGM from 5th Group).
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

similar experience with a guy here. He had some issues that kind of forced his hand to leave, if you know what I mean. Not a lot of choice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny story (and true too):

When I was in the sand box our infantry unit was running an op with none other then 22SAS and Delta.  Yeah yeah, call BS what ever.  It was a large scale 'hit' that basically covered close to 15 some targets in Ramadi....all to go simul.

Obviously the SAS and Dboys took down the highest priorty targets.  We rolled (along with Big Red 1 as armor suppport) to the other targets.

Anyhoo.....prior to the op a bunch of guys showed up to eat in our chow hall (which was nothing more then a tent with a buffet line of mermites).  They were all scruffy and mish-mash looking.

As soon as I walked in I said really loud (not really meaning to be so loud and obnoxious) "Hey, who let Brown and Root in here?!"  I was dead serious too though, they looked like B&R guys.
(ok, for those that don't know B&R were the civilian contractors that did just about everything over there as far construction jobs).

They all look up from there table for a second or two, shot me a look, then went back to eating.  I had no idea who they were until later that night during the op.  Anyway, it was pretty funny.

SAS lost a man that night. I had to make the notification to the SgtMajor of the unit.  That was tough.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

similar experience with a guy here. He had some issues that kind of forced his hand to leave, if you know what I mean. Not a lot of choice.

Same buddy told me of a guy who came back to Group from Delta, apparently was wound a little too tight for their liking. He was an E-8 so he was given a Team Sergeant slot. First day he has his team run like 5 miles with pro-masks on. My buddy was out doing PT with his guys when they saw this team go by. They were like WTF? They chuckled because word had filtered around about who the Team Sergeant was. Apparently some of them were ripping their masks off and puking.....guess it REALLY sucked. That day several guys were in front of some officer asking to be transferred to other teams or even terminate if not. Guy wanted to see what they were made of. They left him as Team Sergeant for a little while longer then quietly found him another job.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When I was in the sand box our infantry unit was running an op with none other then 22SAS and Delta.  Yeah yeah, call BS what ever.  It was a large scale 'hit' that basically covered close to 15 some targets in Ramadi....all to go simul.
Obviously the SAS and Dboys took down the highest priorty targets.  We rolled (along with Big Red 1 as armor suppport) to the other targets.
Anyhoo.....prior to the op a bunch of guys showed up to eat in our chow hall (which was nothing more then a tent with a buffet line of mermites).  They were all scruffy and mish-mash looking.
As soon as I walked in I said really loud (not really meaning to be so loud and obnoxious) "Hey, who let Brown and Root in here?!"  I was dead serious too though, they looked like B&R guys.

(ok, for those that don't know B&R were the civilian contractors that did just about everything over there as far construction jobs).
They all look up from there table for a second or two, shot me a look, then went back to eating.  I had no idea who they were until later that night during the op.  Anyway, it was pretty funny.
SAS lost a man that night. I had to make the notification to the SgtMajor of the unit.  That was tough.

I got to work with SAS a number of times. They're my favorite spec ops units I got to meet and hang out with.

You would not fucking have any idea who they were. They looked and acted like regular joes. And these are some of the baddest dudes on the planet.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got to work with SAS a number of times. They're my favorite spec ops units I got to meet and hang out with.

You would not fucking have any idea who they were. They looked and acted like regular joes. And these are some of the baddest dudes on the planet.

As you probably know, that's who CAG/Delta/ACE is patterned after. The squadron structure, that grueling long-ass ruck march/compass course. (there is a Brit on here who said one time where and what that march is called for the SAS) The "Long Drag" at Brecon Beacons.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The nice thing about the Cool Kids, is that they don't act like they're the Cool Kids.  Much respect and thanks to them, and prayers for their success and safety.

This.

In my professional dealings with 1st SOFD guys- they are the most professional, quietly efficient group as a whole I have ever seen in the US Army. No bragging, showboating...not an ounce of hubris.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 1:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The nice thing about the Cool Kids, is that they don't act like they're the Cool Kids.  Much respect and thanks to them, and prayers for their success and safety.

This.

In my professional dealings with 1st SOFD guys- they are the most professional, quietly efficient group as a whole I have ever seen in the US Army. No bragging, showboating...not an ounce of hubris.
+1.
One of the guys I met, you'd never know he was even really in the military.
But my god, the pictures he can share are fucking AMAZING.   Looks like shit right out of a computer game!

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ACE

Nah.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/10/delta-force-gets-a-name-change/64310/

Maybe it's been changed since then

Nah.

Maybe I'm clueless!

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these emails sent out on an MOS-related basis, i.e infantry, Ranger, SF, etc.? Or can a cook still technically go?

Theysend them to everyone
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#15]
A squad leader in my platoon went to Delta selection. He was a PT stud that could run everyone in the company into the ground and barely break a sweat; they broke him off where he could barely walk when he came back. He was on profile for the next two or three weeks after his return he was so messed up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the MOS based emails are for Support Sections, which mirrors the functionality of the GSB's at Sf Groups. Actually going to OTC is rank immaterial, as successful completion of all the training changes your MOS.

So there are emails that go out for their selection to be an operator, and MOS' that they're looking for in support will get recruiter emails about that as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Amen.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or whatever their moniker is now. Are they still an "invitation only" way to get in? When I was in (see sigline) they actually had open "tryouts" for lack of a better word. Right before I ETS'd all E-5's and above on post had to go to the post theater. Two dudes in three-piece suits (hey, it was the 80's) with barely regulation haircuts and bushy moustaches introduced themselves as "Mr. so-and-so" and proceeeded to show us a slide presentation (way before Powerpoint) about Delta. Asked if anyone was interested in applying and taking a special PT test to get the ball rolling. Not one hand went up in that theater!

So, in theory at least, a freakin' cook could've "tried out" and possibly made it if he had what it took. Heard that for a number of years now it's they-call-you to see if you're interested.

That's the whole idea. If you have what it takes to pass their little secret handshake, they can and will train you to their standard. Doesn't matter your occupational specialty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think they let just anyone into a Commander Air Group position.

Your navy past betrays you. Please try to keep up with the hero worship.

The video they show now is on youtube. The guy who does the presentation is actually a 79R or recruiter and he travels TDY to the different installations. They administer the APFT the following morning and immediately afterward they conduct an IQ test. You then receive an email and an information packet that you must fill out along with your personality test. This is all submitted along with a letter of recommendation and all of your past evalutations and APFT scores. There are two tryout times March and October out of those who actually get through the training they must then be selected. The selection process is unknown and is a committee of former special ops guys who determine who gets selected but no one knows how they do it. That is most of it for the initial tryout portion.

That's how my brother described it to me.  

He couldn't get the letter of recommendation, somebody in his chain of command (Cpt., Col.) don't remember told him he didn't need to go and wasn't going to sign off on it.

This was when he was at Camp Casey in Korea.  

He got invited again when he got stateside, but again, he said the higher up wouldn't sign off on the letter.

This used to happen all the time on the USMC side. Infantry refused to give up their best. I don't know if the pipeline works different now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought CAG was civil affairs group

In the marines it can be yes among other things. In the army it's just CA and when people look at you like you're a penicorn you say civil affairs. When they still look at you you just say fck it cuz it takes to long to explain and if they needed to know they would.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know how long do they have to complete the 45 mile compass march and how much weight are they carrying in their ruck?
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone know how long do they have to complete the 45 mile compass march and how much weight are they carrying in their ruck?

Ha!

Good one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not even they know how much time they have...
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]
they get a cool knife
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even they know how much time they have...

Yea I know they don't want the info out, but even the SAS their ruck march is known, due to all the '' book's ".

I was thinking somewhere around the 24 hrs mark. But that just  pulling it out of the air.

I remember reading Bravo 2 Zero and McNabb talking about  the one the SAS does and I thinking it was around 18-24 hours.

I'm sure someone here will know the book and know exactly what he said.
That would be one hell of course to run if someone wanted to challenge themselves though, even just cutting the mileage down to 10 or 15 would be a workout.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
anyone can try out.

It helps to be invited to get selected.

half who try out finish selection (give or take)
maybe 10% actually get the invite, however.

especially for officers.
My info is years out of date, however.

What little I have dealt with them, they struck me as very professional.

So it's my understanding that Camp Dawson is the selection portion. You mean only 10% get the invite after selection? I'm surprised half make it through Dawson. That ~ 45 mile compass course/ruck march is a killer!

So that is where in WV they go!  I know where Camp Dawson is.  Been there.  Preston Co. Cheat River.

Did a sleep study on a guy who was in 5th SFG. He was an E-7. He had been in CAG for a while and then went back to SF (didn't say why, I didn't ask). I did ask him how the hell he ever did that 45 miler. He kinda looked at me like how did I know about that, then smiled and said "I really don't know. All I remember is that it was dark when I started and dark again when I finished."

"Do the best you can." All the info you'll apparently get with regards to how long you have to complete the damn thing.

There are several books by former Delta operators that give a pretty good description of selection.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top