Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2012 7:18:07 AM EDT
Bio or combo better? How reliable is the bio stuff?

2yo son is curious and highly mobile...so need something for that, and quick access at night obviously.

Seen mixed reviews on most of the Gunvault stuff...others to look at? Good success with one?

So...Go!
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these and love it: http://www.gunsamerica.com/986387984/SMITH++WESSON+Fast+Handgun+Pistol+Safe+VersaVault.htm

I don't know if you can still get them, but something like it is what you want. You can set your own code, it springs open and has a nice secure foam lined sleeve inside to hold the gun.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Right now, I just use a sturdy, fire resistant lock box and put the key in the lock every night before bed and take it out in the morning.  However, I don't yet have kids.  This may change to one of those boxes that have the finger grooves on top when we do have kids.

The key is on my key ring with me when I am not home.  The other keys that will open it are hidden.  This will not prevent a thief from stealing the whole box, but keeps it secure and I know I won't get shot with my own pistol if I come home in the middle of a burglary.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Right now, I just use a sturdy, fire resistant lock box and put the key in the lock every night before bed and take it out in the morning.  However, I don't yet have kids.  This may change to one of those boxes that have the finger grooves on top when we do have kids.

Yeah...he's got fairly good mechanical skills for his age. A key in a lock might not be a good thing. He's into turning stuff like that right now

And granted...I have an FNX-9...but my luck he'd figure out the safety and pull the double action trigger back...I guess stranger things have happened...

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

2yo son is curious and highly mobile...so need something for that, and quick access at night obviously.

Seen mixed reviews on most of the Gunvault stuff...others to look at? Good success with one?

So...Go!

Fort Knox safe with the simplex lock.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...he's got fairly good mechanical skills for his age. A key in a lock might not be a good thing. He's into turning stuff like that right now

And granted...I have an FNX-9...but my luck he'd figure out the safety and pull the double action trigger back...I guess stranger things have happened...

Yep, then get one with the finger grooves.  They seem to be pretty good.  Granted, I guess it is possible he could manage to hit the buttons in the right order, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have one of these and love it: http://www.gunsamerica.com/986387984/SMITH++WESSON+Fast+Handgun+Pistol+Safe+VersaVault.htm

I don't know if you can still get them, but something like it is what you want. You can set your own code, it springs open and has a nice secure foam lined sleeve inside to hold the gun.  

More or less...intrigued by the bio ones, though.

Happy to go with a coded one only if the bios are a complete fail.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Right now, I just use a lock box and put the key in the lock every night before bed and take it out in the morning.  However, I don't yet have kids.  This may change to one of those boxes that have the finger grooves on top when we do have kids.

I just use one of those green, metal pistol safes bolted to the night stand and do the same thing. Key goes in the slot at night, and gets taken out and hidden again in the morning. I've got five kids... but the youngest is ten. They all know where the guns are and not to mess with them. Most are kept in the big fire/gun safe, and the one in the cheap, green Stack-On. But my Kahr CW9 always lives in the "man purse" and my NAA .22 is always on/near me. They could get to the last two pistols, but never do and never have. Granted, I would not have that kind of trust with a 2-year old. But they've all been trained to stay away from guns unless I'm around and it's been sanctioned (range day for example). I've also always told them that if they're at a friend's house and a gun is introduced -- to leave immediately and tell an adult.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nice.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i bought several of them about 3 or 4 years ago - it works well so far, but make sure to change your batteries often. i had it fail to open once and used the back-up key.

i have an old post about them here too.

it's not 100% reliable. YMMV.

bolted to my office at home, i'm left handed too.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right now, I just use a lock box and put the key in the lock every night before bed and take it out in the morning.  However, I don't yet have kids.  This may change to one of those boxes that have the finger grooves on top when we do have kids.

I just use one of those green, metal pistol safes bolted to the night stand and do the same thing. Key goes in the slot at night, and gets taken out and hidden again in the morning. I've got five kids... but the youngest is ten. They all know where the guns are and not to mess with them. Most are kept in the big fire/gun safe, and the one in the cheap, green Stack-On. But my Kahr CW9 always lives in the "man purse" and my NAA .22 is always on/near me. They could get to the last two pistols, but never do and never have. Granted, I would not have that kind of trust with a 2-year old. But they've all been trained to stay away from guns unless I'm around and it's been sanctioned (range day for example). I've also always told them that if they're at a friend's house and a gun is introduced -- to leave immediately and tell an adult.

Yup. And as he gets older, I won't be as worried. Like yours, he'll be taught properly, etc. The curious toddler stage, though...

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

The simplex lock is the most reliable way of getting a bedside safe open.  I would never trust a biometric safe for this purpose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xsMkkKzoo

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been using a GunVault for several years and it has worked flawlessly.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Gun vault non-biometric. Quick and reliable.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I've owned 3 Gunvaults.  My current is the fingerpad combo with key backup.  the release mechanism on the door took a shit.  

But to Gunvault's credit, they shipped me a brand new unit and sent me a box/label to return my old one.  It was at least 4 years old.  Other than that, I've been happy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I just put a cheap between the studs wall "safe" I got at harbor freight for $60. I put it in the walk-in closet in the master bedroom to store my most commonly carried pistols. A G26 and a G19. My wife will have access to the other one while I'm out and if I take it off at home for some reason, it is more secure than hiding it or putting it somewhere "inaccessible". All the other guns go in the safe in the gun room.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#17]
One with a mechanical pushbutton lock for simplicity, speed, and reliability.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been using a GunVault for several years and it has worked flawlessly.

http://www.floridaarmory.com/image.php?type=P&id=213

Same, and bolted to the floor.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a V-Line safe with mechanical safe for bedside duty. I keep it unlocked during the night so I don't have to fumble with any combo during a panicked situation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So...Go!

Yup. I have  simplex locks on 2 pistol safes of my 3 and Ft. Knox uses heavier gauge steel than anyone.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I used a gunvault for years. When the kids moved out I sold it to a rookie cop who had little kids. He liked it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://www.fas1safe.com/images/13466222496121215815641.jpeg

I was going to recommned you.  Expensive last I looked, but I like the idea of no batteries etc to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]
When I have kids I will design nightstands with hidden compartments. I figure I'll have the tabletop slide forward to reveal a handgun.  There will be a latch on the back side.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The simplex lock is the most reliable way of getting a bedside safe open.  I would never trust a biometric safe for this purpose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xsMkkKzoo

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So...Go!

Simplex lock is the way to go.  We had them on our office doors for years with NO problems & they were used hundreds of times per day.  Anything with a battery WILL suffer battery failure at some point.  

If your life and the safety of your family depends on it, choose Simplex.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes - that appears to be a simplex lock.  good choice.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Barska biometric pistol safe and love it.

It is programmed for all of my fingers and no one else in the house can open it.

The bio reader works first time every time.

It was pricey but worth it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to recommned you.  Expensive last I looked, but I like the idea of no batteries etc to worry about.

Thanks Jim.

To use 7ga steel on all sides and the door is a little more expensive than using lighter steel. The fabrication costs go up too as nothing is stamped and the sides are welded, not formed. There is a substantial amount of TIG welding and some grinding to achieve the finished product. The addition of a holster and gas strut that present the gun also increase the cost over a foam or carpet lined box. Even Fort Knox only uses 7ga on the door. The sides are 10ga on their handgun safes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have a Barska biometric pistol safe and love it.

It is programmed for all of my fingers and no one else in the house can open it.

The bio reader works first time every time.

It was pricey but worth it.

what if you're not at home and the wife needs access to it? that would always be my concern.

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#30]
.  My son started going shooting with me when he was 2. He had a healthy understanding of the dangers involved, and while still excited by them, he knew better than to touch one unless I allowed it.  

The best safe, is going to be the one ending in TY that you instill in him.  

I won't say don't get a bedside box, but at least work a little more with him on safety to where you don't worry quite as much if you happen to forget to lock it up
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Gunvault all the way.

I had a problem with one that the batteries would only last about 4 months, they are supposed to last much longer.
I called gunvault and they sent me brand new one and asked me to ship them the old one.

I change the batteries once a year and I open it twice a day.  Works great, never a problem, I've had it for I think about four years.

I'm getting another one soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top