Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2012 8:29:39 PM EDT
Yeah- he says a lot of common-sense stuff (and things a lot of us were probably already thinking), but his angle was still unique and useful.

I especially liked his rewording of "gun free zones" too.  

Against Monsters
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what the mass media are saying, but it seems that it's almost like an organized firemission on all of the articles that I've seen that relate to the shooting. While there are occasional comments regarding the NRA and gun owners being at fault, there seems to be a lot of rage against the gun free zones.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Good column. thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Good read- thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As usual, he's spot on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Good stuff from Mas.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good read- thanks.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I highly respect Mas Ayoob and have foryears decades.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Hes the man!

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Good stuff, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Spot on
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Mas - I know you're a member here. Excellent article and how sad it is that many in this country refuse to see the simplest solution.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#12]

The one I keep thinking about is the custodian in CT who saw what was going down and ran through the halls warning people.

What if he had been carrying concealed? Every single one of those kids and some of the adults would probably still be alive.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know what the mass media are saying, but it seems that it's almost like an organized firemission on all of the articles that I've seen that relate to the shooting. While there are occasional comments regarding the NRA and gun owners being at fault, there seems to be a lot of rage against the gun free zones.

I wish I could agree with you on the being upset by gun free zones. I have read more wanting to ban all guns articles then I have inthenlast 4 years
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]
good article...
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you, spot on article.

This method is the ONLY way to be proactive with regards to free fire zones, everything else is just reactionary and always too late to do any good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Armed citizens, armed teachers, armed pilots, armed ________.

Works for me.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
So simple. Good article.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Well done.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote:

"Children will continue to die in gun-free zones  hunting preserves for psychopathic murderers, and the cowardly murderers will continue to surrender or kill themselves as soon as armed good guys show up…far too late..."
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
there seems to be a lot of rage against the gun free zones.

Damn right.   Might as well change the name to "Everyone here is a sitting duck.  Shoot here"

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I refer to them as "Unarmed Victim Zones."
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I highly respect Mas Ayoob and have foryears decades.

Same here. He is what I consider required reading before carrying a firearm for personal defense.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#26]
What I have been saying to people is:  You keep trying to write laws and legislate against rain--and that doesn't work, clearly--why don't you maybe consider getting yourself an umbrella?

ETA: Also--there is a fundamental disconnect in the mindset of anti-gunners.  If you were to ask the average liberal:  "Do you wish that you were there?  Do you wish that you were the first person the shooter came up against when he stepped through the door?" their answer would be "Of course not--because then I would be slaughtered like everybody else!"--whereas if you ask a gun owner that same question they would instinctively imagine themselves armed and say "Absolutely--and I would have turned his head into a canoe and prevented the whole thing".
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Good article from Massad as always
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He gets a lot of grief here, but I find myself agreeing with him more than disagreeing.  

He gets a lot of grief in a lot of places, much of it undeserved. People try to poopoo him for various reasons, none of which are particularly compelling. He wrote an article for the wrong magazine, 87th hand stories of him being drunk somewhere, he worked for a tiny PD so he must not know anything... etc.

I don't agree 100% with him, but I've been to several of his courses and his general approach, and most of the details, are spot on. And he's certainly right about this issue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#29]
The thing gun owners need to keep repeating to everyone within earshot is the gun free zone issue.  CBS just showed the Michigan bill that would allow CCW in schools as if it was a "bad idea".  Time ot turn the tide to make people understand it aint gonna change until we change attitudes towards how we defend our kids.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Great article and Mas is OK in my book.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Felt compelled to copy/paste this:

Excellent points, Mas.  To elaborate, we have fire extinguishers at
strategic locations in all schools.  Why can’t we place "monster
extinguishers” similarly.  An easy-to-use rifle such as an M-1 Carbine
or AR-15 in a secure locker at several strategic locations on the
campus.  Specially trained staff would have keys to unlock the lockers
in case of an emergency.  The rifles would be much easier to use than a
handgun, and there would be no danger of unauthorized access which might
occur if a staff member were to leave a handgun in a purse or desk
drawer.

Teachers have proven that they are willing to die for their students.
 I’m betting some of them would be willing to kill for their students,
as well.

AB

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Excellent points, Mas.  To elaborate, we have fire extinguishers at strategic locations in all schools.  Why can’t we place "monster extinguishers” similarly.  An easy-to-use rifle such as an M-1 Carbine or AR-15 in a secure locker at several strategic locations on the campus.  Specially trained staff would have keys to unlock the lockers in case of an emergency.  The rifles would be much easier to use than a handgun, and there would be no danger of unauthorized access which might occur if a staff member were to leave a handgun in a purse or desk drawer.

Teachers have proven that they are willing to die for their students.  I’m betting some of them would be willing to kill for their students, as well.

AB

Always put yourself in the mind of the enemy when planning a defense.

In this case, you have effectively armed that enemy.  Any weapon accessible enough to be used in an emergency is far too easy to steal - the only exception is those concealed on people.  If I overpower and steal a pistol from a CCW holder, I have a small pistol.  If I steal a key from a "Specially trained staff" member (and keys are easier not to notice missing than a gun), I have a rifle - or several rifles.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good stuff from Mas.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mas - I know you're a member here. Excellent article and how sad it is that many in this country refuse to see the simplest solution.

Did not know that.  Does he post often?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He gets a lot of grief here, but I find myself agreeing with him more than disagreeing.  

What does he get grief about here?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Hes a pretty smart guy. Handy man to have around when the going gets tough I bet as well
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Good post, thanks.

Yes, Mas makes very valid points. I've also been enjoying his/Pro-Arms podcasts too.

-JC

ETA: Pro-arms podcast
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the typical Internet tuff guy/troll types that "know everything." It gets old and if I had my druthers, I'd silence the posting ability of anyone feeling the need to insult others here to make themselves feel better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm all for it.  Good article.  Now lets address the real underlying problem, letting complete wacko run roughshod over society.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the typical Internet tuff guy/troll types that "know everything." It gets old and if I had my druthers, I'd silence the posting ability of anyone feeling the need to insult others here to make themselves feel better.

Indeed.

Mas looks at shooting incidents and things in the news and and offers fresh analysis and opinion that is not just repeating an existing cliche.  There is nothing that offends some people more than to suggest they don't already know everything.  To even suggest that to them, as akin to claiming you yourself already know everything.  Yet, it's obvious Mas doesn't claim that, or he wouldn't keep looking at new incidents and measuring them against his already existing views... even *gasp* adjusting his teaching when new evidence points to the need.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#43]
But that would be like common sense. We cannot have that, that is completely inconsistent with how we do things.

When unarmed people get murdered, we have to disarm more people, when we are broke we have to spend more money to get out of debt... If something doesnt work we have to do it again and again the exact same way until it works.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#44]
He had me until "Ann Coulter". I have very little respect for her. As far as Im concerned she's a far right attention whore who picks the wrong venues to start a fight. She can be as right as the sky is blue but to me she looks like an idiot, like a priest trying to bring Christianity to a pack of retarded wolves.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I refer to them as "Unarmed Victim Zones."

I refer to them as canned hunts for the deranged.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent points, Mas.  To elaborate, we have fire extinguishers at strategic locations in all schools.  Why can’t we place "monster extinguishers” similarly.  An easy-to-use rifle such as an M-1 Carbine or AR-15 in a secure locker at several strategic locations on the campus.  Specially trained staff would have keys to unlock the lockers in case of an emergency.  The rifles would be much easier to use than a handgun, and there would be no danger of unauthorized access which might occur if a staff member were to leave a handgun in a purse or desk drawer.

Teachers have proven that they are willing to die for their students.  I’m betting some of them would be willing to kill for their students, as well.

AB

In this case, you have effectively armed that enemy.  Any weapon accessible enough to be used in an emergency is far too easy to steal - the only exception is those concealed on people.  If I overpower and steal a pistol from a CCW holder, I have a small pistol.  If I steal a key from a "Specially trained staff" member (and keys are easier not to notice missing than a gun), I have a rifle - or several rifles.

In this shooting ,according to eye witness accounts, the school principal had the courage to charge the shooter in an effort to stop him and lost her life. If she had been a trained shooter and had a gun this slaughter may have been stopped.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AB

In this shooting ,according to eye witness accounts, the school principal had the courage to charge the shooter in an effort to stop him and lost her life. If she had been a trained shooter and had a gun this slaughter may have been stopped.  

Not sure how your statement fits in with the flow of this discourse.  You seem to be stating an obvious fact that nobody is dismissing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#48]
i like mas ayoobs books. i am reading combat handgunnery now. the other two i read were equally informative.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AB

Biometric locks. No keys to steal. No combos to remember.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The one I keep thinking about is the custodian in CT who saw what was going down and ran through the halls warning people.

What if he had been carrying concealed? Every single one of those kids and some of the adults would probably still be alive.

If there had even been a rifle in the custodian closet, even that would have been better than what ended up happening.  Not blaming him of course, he did something to help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top