Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, their government has been making terrible decisions in regards to guns for many years now...looks like they're not breaking stride

Speed

Yep.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Defence chiefs say the Austrian-made Glock 17 Gen 4 is lighter, carries more bullets, fires more quickly and accurately, and is safer to handle than the Browning."

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There aren't going to be any suplus HPs available here.
Even if Britain sells them, Zero will EO ban the importation.

The Brits can drop them into a drum of cosmoline and wait for a few years as they do a gradual change out.

Better to sit on revenue for a few years than to lose it compared to dumping them into the general pool of .surp around the World.

The Brits are a wonky bunch though.  I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to Captain Crunch the lot.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it.
I just have no hope...

Too bad someone can't send them an old link to AIM surplus from when they offered the Israeli .surp Hi Powers.  I bet the Brits would get a snaggle toothed look of surprise on their faces and they would drop their monocles.

"The septics paid what????  I say, most interesting!"

Waste is bad and the economy in the UK doesn't look super rosy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the stupidity that comes from an un-armed society.  The only experience the typical Brit has with a semi-auto handgun is in the mil.  There is no sport shooting culture to draw from, no Hunter Safety courses, no week at Scout Camp earning a Shooting Merit Badge, no popping tin cans with a Daisy, and no putting squirrel on the table for supper.  

As much as I love my Glocks, I do not believe that a refurbished Hi-Power would not serve the Brits as well or better.  Hopefully, the stupid pays off for us in the end.  Hell, the Brits owe us, our grandparents and great-grandparents gave them guns for the Home Guard in WWII, they should have to send the High Powers here as a Thank You.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wonder what kind of package that was at $720 each.

Foot and leg insurance was included with every pistol purchased which accounts for the price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, their government has been making terrible decisions in regards to guns for many years now...looks like they're not breaking stride

Speed

Yep.  

Hey; if it was good enough for Plaxico it's good enough for the Brits.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They will probably destroy them.  

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/harry_afghanistan.jpg
I guess if they carry it pointed at the johnson, it's probably a good idea to do it in condition 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#10]
"DM, there's something very troubling about your readers' comments..that they all know too much about guns and side arms. Let's not forget that these are not playthings; these are primarily designed to disable if not end a man's life and send him into eternity for ever."
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
What happened with all the P226s they were buying a few years back?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#12]
"It is semi-automatic allowing a large number of rounds to be fired off quickly. Each magazine carries up to 33 9mm bullets, compared to 13 in the Browning"

Idiot reporters are idiotic  
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Military does not carry a handgun cocked and locked, usually.  So a Glock is far better than a single action first shot like an HP.  I love High Powers also, I think they are one awesome pistol.  But a Glock is a far better pistol for military or police work.

Hate all you want, but its the truth.

So a cocked and unlocked pistol is better than a cocked and locked?   If Glock is a better pistol, why is there no HiPower leg?  Not to mention they feel like hell compared to a HP.

Blaming a Glock for a negiligent discharge is not fair or even a rational arguement.  Poor gun handling by the operator causes Glock leg.   A pistol holds no ill will against the handler. It has no feelings whatsoever. A glock pistol is not out to "get Ya leg" ? I would guess that there have been some incidents with a careless or sloppy pistolero negligently discharging a HiPower.  

That being said..... Consider me a unashamed member of the Glockboy fanclub !  I loves me a good Glock 45.  You can keep your grandpappy's pistol.  

By that logic, it must be that most careless folks carry glocks rather than HiPowers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Surplus Brit HP's coming soon?

Won't the fine folks in England get first dibs?

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh please, oh please, oh please surplus Brit HPs! Millions of them!

They will all get turned into scrap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"Defence chiefs say the Austrian-made Glock 17 Gen 4 is lighter, carries more bullets, fires more quickly and accurately, and is safer to handle than the Browning."

Yeah.....

The comments are also pure comedy.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Just don't forget to take it out of your deployment kit when you get back home...
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I love this line in the article;

"Made of plastic instead of metal..."

LOL.

Comment;

I thought the Brits made a substantial purchase of SIG P226's some years ago?  In fact, I tho't obviously wrongly that the 226 had replaced the BHP in numerous units in the Brit military.  Anybody know any more on that?

For myself, I owned Glocks, no longer do, and am an age-old fan of the BHP.  Some of you know under what conditions I spend a lot of time and with falls and such occuring as they do, I will not carry a BHP C&L and especially in winter do not want to have to rely on cocking the pistol to get it running.

For me, more modern designs are not lacking, and I prefer SIG's, but fully understand the choice of the Glock.

As for the cracks about the British military, well, I'm not much in love with Great Britain myself, but their military culture and training regimen produces some of the best soldiers on earth, regardless of the fact that, as some have said, the rank and file are made up of personnel with essentially no prior gun experience.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess if they carry it pointed at the johnson, it's probably a good idea to do it in condition 3

Those aren't just family jewels, those are Crown jewels.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#20]
So... The British military got new hand grenades?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Glock takes less than a second to draw and fire, compared to the Browning which even for an expert often takes four or five seconds to remove from its holster, load the chamber and shoot.

I love me some G17, but WTF is this bullshit?

Okay, see the little flipper-looking thingy on the left side of the slide, below the rear sight?  That's called a "mech-an-i-cal sayf-tee ".  You can chamber a round *before you need it* (Totally cool, right!  I know!) and then push the "sayf-tee" until you hear a click.  Now, when your expert draws from a holster, have them simply push down on the "sayf-tee" until s/he hears the click again and then operate the trigger.  Neat little feature, rarely publicized, saves a lot of time.  

Seriously, I carry a G19 daily but this kind of stuff offends my intelligence.  It's like those infomercials where they want to sell you their "new" version of a colander so they have people act like epileptic imbeciles who can't pour water through a freaking strainer without suffering third-degree burns and a stroke.  If you want the new toy, buy the new toy.  Stop making lame excuses.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Didn't glock make a few 17s with a thumb safety for the Brits?

I remember seeing pics of one a while back that somehow got into the US, silly $$$ as it was so rare.

Not sure if this was the version adopted.

I guess speed into action has more to do with the holster than the pistol, fumbling a GP35 out of a canvas WW2 holster is probably harder than presenting from a Serpa or similar. One reaason why Harry had his tucked into his LBE.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Just curious, how much would people here be willing to pay for an old, abused Brit Hi-Power? I would pay $300 for one.

I already have a couple Inglis, but it would be very cool to have a FN Brit HP-35.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Didn't glock make a few 17s with a thumb safety for the Brits?

I remember seeing pics of one a while back that somehow got into the US, silly $$$ as it was so rare.

Not sure if this was the version adopted.

I guess speed into action has more to do with the holster than the pistol, fumbling a GP35 out of a canvas WW2 holster is probably harder than presenting from a Serpa or similar. One reaason why Harry had his tucked into his LBE.

I don't know about the Brits but there were some made for a group in Indonesia IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Glock takes less than a second to draw and fire, compared to the Browning which even for an expert often takes four or five seconds to remove from its holster, load the chamber and shoot.

No country that freaks out over a .22LR round spied on a sidewalk would consider cocked and locked.

So, would they let an entire Army walk around with one in the chamber of a Glock?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what kind of package that was at $720 each.

Foot and leg insurance was included with every pistol purchased which accounts for the price.

Shortly after the War for Southern Independence 1/3 of the entire Mississippi state budget was devoted to artificial legs for returning veterans. Say what you will about the Brits. They know their history!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh please, oh please, oh please surplus Brit HPs! Millions of them!

I think you need to look up how many people are in the MOD, the British army is barely 300,000 strong total
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Glocks will probably be stuck with empty chamber carry after their troops launch rounds trying to disassemble them.

This is actually the most "dangerous" aspect of a Glock.

Having said that, the pistols are in use by the millions now in military and law enforcement all over the world.

They work and they are not the cause of the Apocalypse.

GUYS:

Anybody know anything about Brit-purchased SIG's??
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Let's not forget the timetables we are talking about here.  The Brits announced today that they will be replacing their Hi-Power's with Glocks.

1) When will that transition be complete?
2) When will all the spare Hi-Powers get consolidated into one place?
3) When will some bureaucrat decide to overrule the military supply chain that decides to squirrel them away in some depot "Just in case"?

Think about it - When was the M9 adopted?  And there are STILL M1911's floating around in the system.  Hell, the Army is just getting around to surplussing M1's that were officially replaced 50 years ago.

FWIW I agree that Britain is just as likely to demil and destroy them.  But it won't happen while Obama is still in office.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
*shudder*

What is wrong?

I felt a disturbance in the force. Like millions of people who say "Glock is not used by any military as their main sidearm!!!" cried out!, and then were silenced.

Pretty much everyone uses Glock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
*shudder*

What is wrong?

I felt a disturbance in the force. Like millions of people who say "Glock is not used by any military as their main sidearm!!!" cried out!, and then were silenced.

Pretty much everyone uses Glock.

As they should
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks will probably be stuck with empty chamber carry after their troops launch rounds trying to disassemble them.

This is actually the most "dangerous" aspect of a Glock.

Having said that, the pistols are in use by the millions now in military and law enforcement all over the world.

They work and they are not the cause of the Apocalypse.

GUYS:

Anybody know anything about Brit-purchased SIG's??

The gun/design has nothing 'dangerous' about it. Now the operator, on the other hand...

The problem with pulling the trigger is that some dolts don't clear the damn thing before hitting the bang switch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shortly after the War for Southern Independence 1/3 of the entire Mississippi state budget was devoted to artificial legs for returning veterans. Say what you will about the Brits. They know their history!
Glock knows vertical integration

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#34]
They'll end up and AIM surplus and I might buy another one

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#35]
wow.   First they produce Peirs Morgan.  then they switch from the BHP to a glock?  

the brits are FUCKING STUPID.  

I would gladly GLADLY take a few HP's off their hands at surplus prices.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's a very common affliction among military forces, LE organizations, and even some regular folks that automatic pistol with an exposed hammer cannot be safely carried with a round in the chamber under any circumstances, while a striker-fired gun or a revolver is perfectly safe, even with no manual safety, to carry with a hot chamber.  I have absolutely no clue as to the reasoning behind this.  

I can understand a little bit, if it has no firing pin safety.

Having said that, if the weapon has a firing pin safety...What the hell is going to happen even if the sear is magically teleported away and the hammer falls?  NOTHING!
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Much as I like the Hi Power, good move.  The average soldier doesn't get that much handgun training.  In that situation, simple is good. Glock is about as simple as it gets.  Glock is also standard issue with UK police, at least the few that actully are armed.

In my own little world I carry a Glock way more than the Hi Power.  In fact, I don't think I've ever carried the HP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those aren't just family jewels, those are Crown jewels.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/imagesqtbnANd9GcRucXa_i9VyPzkoeMZCdRSIU_AkP3_sTGNKQp_kSE-WBXTeHI7XVTm36OjY.jpg

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They carry in condition 3  I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#41]
4 or 5 seconds?

Oh, I get it.  I saw Chariots of Fire.

They draw a gun at the same speed they race on the beach.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My bet is that our English brothers destroy them, every M-Fing one!

I'm with you on that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm really surprised they did not go with the Sig 226.  I was under the impression that they were already in the transition towards the Sig.

Oh well.  If they think the Hi-Powers were getting expensive to maintain they have not seen anything yet.    

And I REALLY hope someone gets those Hi-Powers imported to the US before the UK government  tries to destroy them.

EDIT:  Obviously this article was written by someone who not a clue.  G17's carry 17 rounds not 33 (with standard mags).  That is 4 more rounds than the 13rd Hi-Power mags.  And the time to draw and aim and fire a Hi-Power is no more than a G17.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes.

Why you laugh?

You pull the trigger, and it goes BANG!

What´s wrong with that???

Hermann
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Soon the foreheads of thousands of British servicemen will have nice little burn marks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What happened with all the P226s they were buying a few years back?

Yes , I also want to know.

BTW, Prince Harry carried a BHP ---- even with P 226 around.

They won´t issue their worst Gun to the  # 3 in the line of succession to the British Throne.

Hermann
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's to hoping for an importation...which is up there with my canonization, at this point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They'll end up and AIM surplus and I might buy another one

My trusty (and often carried) "T" Series needs some company.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#49]
L105 and L105A1, and L117A1 are all SIG's in Brit service.

Looks like limited purchases to special units; SAS, etc.

Curious...as we do the same thing.

I had my problems with Glocks, and finally parted ways with them, but they are excellent pistols overall.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top