Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think the only reason is that you are putting highly flammable materials into something designed to keep the firearms safe in case of fire.  

In a cabinet - no problem whatsoever.

In a heavy fire safe - kinda undermining your safe, possibly insurance issues?

Edit:  I'm not saying it's gonna explode...just that primers go off at a couple hundred degrees and gunpowder includes its own oxidizer - if the safe gets anywhere near hot in a fire, you could have a big damn mess inside and have mitigated the purpose of the safe.

Primers go off at a couple hundred degrees?

ETA:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUk-P_cvC_E
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like a fine idea to me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a separate safe for bulk ammo(in ammo cans) and the bulk
Of my loaded magazines. I keep a few loaded magazines in the gun safe just in case.

This.  I have my "starter safe" which is now dedicated to ammo in ammo cans and magazines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guns take up all the room!

yeah no shit where is this ammo going to go in there?

I have to precisley place my guns or the door won't close.  Time for another.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't have a single gun that's not cocked, locked and ready to rock
I don't see the point in this, how many can you use at once?

The point is if you need one you can just grab one. you dont need to fumble around to find the loaded one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
use one of these for my ammo

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100130283/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tool+box&storeId=10051I

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100130283/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tool+box&storeId=10051
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't say there's any problem with it.

There's no way I could ever fit any ammo that isn't loaded into a mag (can barely fit those), but I don't see anything wrong with it.  

I have mine in a tall double-doored metal locker.  I have a fire extinguisher mounted next to the locker but that's not really because of the ammo.  If my house had a fire and I had any chance to rescue anything, it would be what's in that locker and the safe.  An extra extinguisher in there to buy me some time (MAYBE) to throw cans and rifles out of the window in the room and then hop out myself (1st floor).......this possibility is worth just keeping a spare extinguisher in there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy a separate safe for ammo.

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I use separate safes.  I do keep some of each caliber in the gun safe tho.  If you're worried about heat build a fire box around them for added protection.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
+ 1
that and the ammo is worth as much as some of the guns!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I use boxes of ammo to raise up my carbines so they reach the racks.

Win-Win.

I took out all the racks to make more room.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Win-Win.

I took out all the racks to make more room.

I need a shorter row of rifle rests that I can mount halfway down on the wall, between the floor and the factory height rifle rests.  Only 1/3 of my long guns actually reach the top rests and all of the carbines are sloshed up against the walls and long guns that reach the top.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I put mine in 50 cal ammo cans inside my safe.

It's s big safe.

In two more years. I'll be adding another safe just for ammo.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
One of these for ammo
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Safes are for guns
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
1000 rounds of ammo in some cases is worth more than a lot of guns.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
stack it deep in 81MM mortar cans.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course there's ammo in my safe, what use is an unloaded gun? EDC doesn't go in the safe because it's always on me, pistols go in a separate box attacked to the too of the safe, ammo sits with the pmags on the top shelf.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]
In a fire safes have proven to be nothing but an oven anyway. My cousin's house burned, he had two nickel plated 1911's that got so hot in his safe the nickel plating melted off both guns. Needless to say every gun in there was a complete loss. A little ammo isn't gonna make much difference.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a separate safe for bulk ammo(in ammo cans) and the bulk
Of my loaded magazines. I keep a few loaded magazines in the gun safe just in case.

This.  I have my "starter safe" which is now dedicated to ammo in ammo cans and magazines.

This. its a Homak safe. I put some shelves in there. Reloading stuff goes in a ammo can, powder is in a metal file cabinet, the heavy ass .mil kind I got at DRMO for $5.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]

No my JO box has crystals and train sets in it.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I keep my SHTF ammo right next to my SHTF rig in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Id have to buy 2 more safes and leave my guns out.  doesnt seem like a great idea to me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What I did.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No imitation crab meat?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why not?

First response.

Is this another one of those ARFCOM dogmas I'm not aware of?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

For less experienced gun owners, it is often times recommended that ammo and guns not be stored in the same location for gun safety reasons. It falls along the lines of keeping firearms unloaded when not in use. Separating the location of ammo and the location of firearms make loading a firearm much more difficult. This idea would transfer to a gun safe.

More experienced firearm owners can safely disregard this recommendation.

Makes sense.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No imitation crab meat?

You gotta keep that in the freezer until use.  Perishable food, you know.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At the rate my collection is growing, the 2nd safe will be full in about 24 months.....

Ammo...heh...it doesn't stick around for long around here.  I reload it, shoot it, tumble it, reload it, shoot it, etc....  Its a vicisous cycle

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Oh hell son I got one of these

You know what it takes to gain entry? Less than a minute and a 3/8-1/2 drill bit. All that shit does is keep honest people honest. I can't tell you how many of these I have had to bust into first thing in the morning because my jackass drunk sack of shit foreman left his keys god knows where.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've got a heavy duty lockable oversize military footlocker stuffed full myself. Plus ammo cans that won't fit

Most folks who keep ammo in their safe are casual shooters or hunters or just keep some for quick loading like loaded mags. I couldn't fit my ammo in even a decent sized safe with all the shelving and guns removed lol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Takes up extra space, but it does add weight, which isn't a bad thing for a safe.

This too. But if you're worried about the whole tamale getting ganked, just bolt the damn thing to the floor!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is probably a bit much. But better to know they're all loaded than load a few and forget which ones. I keep one handgun 17+ 1 in this condition in a small biometric safe in the bedroom closet, along with an extra mag, a loaded ar mag, and a box of federal premium 3" magnum 00 buck 15 pellet plated with flite control wad to stuff in the 870 tactical in a pinch. Anything much worse than that I've got a couple cans full of loaded ar mags inside my ammo box. I'm more concerned with small-time threats and there's 3 good options within a few seconds.

Most people with loose loaded guns are more likely to have an accidental shooting by someone who finds it than ever needing to shoot it. Oh I also keep a 38 revolver at the other end of the house in a ziplock bag inside the hallway bathroom central air ceiling vent duct held in place by a semi-strong magnet. The vent cover pops off without tools and I can reach it standing on the toilet or tub. Kids have no idea and nobody would ever look there nor could they even get to it without a painter's ladder.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:56:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see the point in this, how many can you use at once?

The point is if you need one you can just grab one. you dont need to fumble around to find the loaded one.

Except in the event of a fire, they're all going to shoot at whatever they're aiming at when the ammo cooks...Which might be SAR, a first responder, etc.. or someone upstairs etc. this is especially dangerous if the integrity of the safe is compromised by the fire.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I would need two more safes

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

One of the reasons they say to keep your ammo seperate from your guns is for safety reasons. Should curious hands manage to get into your gun safe they will also have access to your ammo if you keep it there as well.

If "curious hands" get into your safe you have failed as a safe owner.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would need two more safes  

Then buy them

I'm saving up for a 6th
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For space reasons I keep all my ammo in its own "safe" cabinet.

I picked up a wall locker from a .gov auction several years ago and bolted it to the wall in my garage, installed two lock hasps on the door and use two different keyed locks on it. I've got approx. 13k rounds in various calibers in it and I could easily double the quantity with plenty of room to spare. I also keep mags and other shooting supplies in there.

Why all the security? Teenage son with lots of friends that used to hang out at the house.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/desertrider_bucket/DSCF0003_zpsc33934d8.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/desertrider_bucket/DSCF0004_zps8920c910.jpg

The XR's are winning, too.   :)

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/59674-Handgun-safety-rules-and-procedures/

- ALWAYS STORE YOUR FIREARM UNLOADED.

- Your firearm and ammunition should be stored separately in places and in a manner inaccessible to children and unauthorized persons.

That said... I keep mine stored together....

I meant not to store AMMO in a safe.

I carry in my apartment, once I get to the point I'm about to sleep or just sit around on the couch, I un-chamber the round and put it back in the mag and load it into the primary. My AR and another handgun keep mags in them, just not chambered.

If my apartment was set up differently, it'd be cocked, no doubt..

But, you basically have to go through 2 dead bolted doors to get into my unit, this isn't including the standard entry to the building. To get to my bedroom where the rest of the toys are, there are 2 more doors to pass through with regular locks. Essentially, someone has to go through 4 doors to get to me and the wife while we sleep, lol. My main handgun isn't always cocked, but it's always next to me in the apartment.
You shouldn't keep re-cambering a round it gets pushed back in the case each time you do that.

Yup. I was gonna post this.

Bullet setback is VERY dangerous. Keep pressing the bullet farther back in the round and eventually you have an over-pressure scenario.

Keeping a weapon in a quality holster is MUCH more safe that consistently manipulating the firearm as well. It won't go off if it's in a holster. I can go off if you screw up while loading or unloading it extraneously. I would advise you to keep the weapon loaded and in a quality holster at all times.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#43]
No problem with it fire wise.  A loaded weapon can pierce the cheap stack on safes and then you just invited fire inside but most decent safes can handle an internal hit.

The best solution is to put your safe in an area with a relatively low fuel load.  Low fuel load and stuff falling on it from above will protect the safe and it's contents.

The bigger issue that most people don't think of when placing their safe is to prevent water intrusion should your basement flood in the event of a fire.  Mine sits a foot and a half off the ground.  with the lip of the safe another 6" up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Win-Win.

x2

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I hear lots of shit. Im smart enough to discern fact from fiction.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One of the reasons they say to keep your ammo seperate from your guns is for safety reasons. Should curious hands manage to get into your gun safe they will also have access to your ammo if you keep it there as well.

If curious hands get into my safes, they're going to find loaded guns.  

The only 'curious' hands in my house are quite experienced handling any type of firearm they're likely to come across.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Nice setup.

Quoted:

For space reasons I keep all my ammo in its own "safe" cabinet.

I picked up a wall locker from a .gov auction several years ago and bolted it to the wall in my garage, installed two lock hasps on the door and use two different keyed locks on it. I've got approx. 13k rounds in various calibers in it and I could easily double the quantity with plenty of room to spare. I also keep mags and other shooting supplies in there.

Why all the security? Teenage son with lots of friends that used to hang out at the house.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/desertrider_bucket/DSCF0003_zpsc33934d8.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/desertrider_bucket/DSCF0004_zps8920c910.jpg

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#48]
i was feeling pretty good about my ammo stash until i ran across this guy's today...

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yep.  Separate lockable cabinet for ammo.     But that's just me.  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top