Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Would you live next to this? Yeah, me neither. Not all HOA's are filled with nazis, and not all HOA's are self-enforcing. If you live in a modern subdivision, you are likely bound to a specific set of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions. Often these are as restrictive as HOA rules and sometimes can carry the weight of law. HOA's also sometimes provide services for its community, such as common landscaping, rec centers, pools, etc. People find value in these things, and that is why they live there.

There are bad HOA's out there, and the onus is on you to find out if they are or not. If you don't like 'em, don't live there.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the problem with these threads is that HOA's tend to be associated with subdivisions. The replies in favor of HOA's tend to highlight the issues associated with suburban life.

Personally, I don't really give a shit what my neighbor does, because I'd have to walk a while to see it. When I look out my windows, I see nature, not other houses.

I guess what I'm saying is that the HOA vs. NO HOA question relates to property choices beyond the scope of neighborhood associations.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
So your neighbor has to mow their lawn every month or so, not leave cars in their front yard, not paint their house neon purple...

Some people like to protect their property value.  

I was waiting for this answer.

And Bren Franklin had something to say about these kinds of morons.

"Bren" never had a neighbor affect his property values.  I like my HOA; it is a mutual agreement to not be trashy.  If you don't want to join, don't move here.

Yeah... He kind of did.

That is if you understand what principles are.

I am assuming you are referring to his "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." quote.  I am not too sure how it applies here.  If you are referring to something different, please elaborate.  

I think we can just rack another 'swing-and a-miss' up for the OP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am assuming you are referring to his "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." quote.  I am not too sure how it applies here.  If you are referring to something different, please elaborate.  

I was gonna let Number21 hang by being obtuse, but not you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck HOA's with all their cookie cutter homes and crazy rules. I have friends who live in them and the things they have to put up with is not worth the grief in my opinion for the convenience of living close to town while maintaing the illusion of living in the country.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As the concept of an HOA did not exist during "Bren" Franklin's lifetime, please explain how I was being obtuse...

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the concept of an HOA did not exist during "Bren" Franklin's lifetime, please explain how I was being obtuse...

Jesus dude... It only applies if you understand principles.  I already told you that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you don't want to look at your neighbor's purple house, you should probably put up a fence.

The whole "But mah PROPERTY values!" argument is a load of crap.   You don't have a right to "value" in your property.   Value is in the mind of buyer and seller.

If your neighbor wants to sell his house to a "trashy" family, are you going to tell him it's your RIGHT to forbid the sale because of how it might affect your property's value?

Pure nonsense.

If you want a say on what goes on next door... then BUY next door.

I find it funny when people complain that the appearance of their neighbors drops their property values. I personally dropped the value of the homes in my neighborhood just by buying my home. I paid 113000 for a 3 bed 1 bath on 1/2 acre which is about 30000 less then it would have gone for before the market crash.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't understand it either. My property, my rules.

Same here.

My street and entire area has no HOA, and there are none of these mythical purple houses, or cars on blocks in the driveway.  Heck the people even mow their laws without being fined. lol

Same thing here.

I went out of my way to buy in a neighborhood WITHOUT an HOA.
Around here, that is a big selling point.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in a subdivision that will be 500 homes or so.  Don't have to pay the $250 a year until it is more than half sold.  I like the HOA I have, the restrictions are not bad and I don't have to worry about hoopties blocking by street.......
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus dude... It only applies if you understand principles.  I already told you that.

Post your quote/principles.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't fathom it.  Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

"If you don't agree with me I'll make a post on the interwebs and call you a moron"

Though you apparently enjoy having liberty, you are very concerned with the way other people exercise theirs.

Perhaps you should realize that not all people think the same way, or are in situations where they can enjoy living in a nice non-HOA neighborhood like you do, and arrive at their decision after weighing all of their options.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm tempted.

The neighbor to the right of me painted their house pink - Pepto Bismal pink - before they died. Now the pizza guy can find the house easy - I just say I live one home to the left of the pink house on the street. They never miss it.

Is the house vacant? What kind of siding? Rent a paint gun and spray just the side that can be seen from the road one weekend.

Oh nevermind I forget houses in other states don't have block fences on 3 sides of them.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom it.  Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

"If you don't agree with me I'll make a post on the interwebs and call you a moron"

Though you apparently enjoy having liberty, you are very concerned with the way other people exercise theirs.

Perhaps you should realize that not all people think the same way, or are in situations where they can enjoy living in a nice non-HOA neighborhood like you do, and arrive at their decision after weighing all of their options.

I'm just curious why people give up liberty voluntarily.

Simple as that.

Still waiting for an explanation that makes sense.  The only one that comes close is if there are literally no homes/neighborhoods within a reasonable driving distance that AREN'T HOA neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#17]
You're not giving up liberty when you're willingly entering into a contract/situation that you can easily extricate yourself from.

Not really hard to understand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a buddy who lives in an exclusive neighborhood. The stories he has are endless regarding HOA issues..

Why you would pay that sort of money for that type of house, and have so little property,  that you could spit on a neighbors house from yours is beyond me. Plus let your neighbors tell you what you can and cant do with your property.

I would much rather take the money and buy a small house with a butt load of property, were I didn't see any neighbors. But each to his own I guess.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#19]
What are these "neighbors" y'all speak of?

I wouldn't want to live in a subdivision, HOA or not.  

Fuck that.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just curious why people give up liberty voluntarily.

Simple as that.

Still waiting for an explanation that makes sense.  The only one that comes close is if there are literally no homes/neighborhoods within a reasonable driving distance that AREN'T HOA neighborhoods.

I haven't given up anything, voluntarily or not. I knew the rules when I bought and I am free to sell and move if the HOA goes full retard. As I said, I like my HOA right now. Please tell me how HOA rules that were explained in the beginning should be a problem?  

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Been awhile since we've had a HOA bitchfest.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Good luck with that. I know that place very well. You can't even call 911 without them listening to a scanner and barging in like they are cops. On another note let me know if you need anything I am just 10 mins away from your new place.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Its to try and keep the rif-raf to a minimum.

As others have said no giant purple virgin mary statues, no lime green houses, no trailer houses, etc.
And other amenities .
Ours keeps up with mowing the ditches and stuff plus we have a 160 acre private lake that needs maintenance.

If I live in a neighborhood I would rather have a HOA. Now if I lived in the country on say 50 acres then its not needed so much.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is everyone against lime green houses?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Me thinks it's to keep the cookie cutter owners together.

When I grew up, you couldn't have a basketball hoop in your driveway. To be fair, they did have a sports court with 2 hoops. (100 homes total)
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I travel between 24 and 30 weeks a year. I simply don't have the ability to keep up a yard, fences, snow shoveling, etc year-round. My HOA has been very non-intrusive and are awesome with grounds upkeep. My HOA works very well for me. Everyone has different needs and different preferences. I guess I could have just written "MYOB" and saved some time
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

To all the HOA hating people might as well move out of the city too.  City has a bunch of rules of what you can and can't do your property.  So that means moving out of the city into the county.  

I did just that.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#28]
What if i want a purple house? or god forbid have a flag/nativity scene.
I mow grass every damn week (dad owned a landscaping business).

I disagree with the idea of mowing grass for the most part. Seems to be a stupid wasteful practice. Weed is a derogatory term for natural plants. So we plant a special type of plant in front of our house that is useless and requires maintenance then we decide that it gets too long. So we spend 3 hours every other week wasting our saturday mowing it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
You really only hear about the really bad, overbearing HOAs. Most of them are good, and keep neighborhoods looking nice. If you want anarchy, buy some land out in the country.

Of course, instead of having an HOA I guess you could vet the people moving in and come up with some rules to keep the place clean and inviting, maybe turn it into some kind of neighborhood wide association..

...oh wait.

I disagree with the idea of mowing grass for the most part.

Mice, insects, snakes and other assorted wildlife probably love you then

I hate mowing too though. I'll probably have a gravel front yard with a few cacti.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#30]
at the time, I looked at loads of houses, the best one for the money had an HOA

everything else was out of my price range and/or a fucking dump.

I wasn't keen on living in a dump and I didn't want to live in a pos apartment anymore.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#31]
When we bought a home, I specifically told the realtor "no homes in HOA neighborhoods."  We found a good house in a decent neighborhood anyway.  

That said, I can't wait until we can afford to buy a place out in the country.  Fuck living in town, I hate neighbors (even good ones) that live within 20 yards of me.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
"Why do people buy homes in HOA neighborhoods?"

Why do you care?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm not giving up Liberty by joining an HOA.  Sweet Jesus Honda.  

I am looking for a group of like minded people in an HOA that want the same things from their property that I do.  If they don't, I wont live there.  Yes, it's that simple.

You get a copy of the rules and regs before you move in.  If you don't like them, you don't move in.  

If you like them however, it's a step toward ensuring the value of your home and the neighbors you want.  

I live down the road from you in a condo full of like minded people and we keep up the property together.  We got sued by a girl in law school who couldn't afford her mortgage over the rules.  Didn't go well for her.  

When you do your homework, find neighbors you like, rules and laws you agree with, an HOA is a damned joy to deal with.  When you move into one, ignore the rules you agreed to, hate your neighbors, make an ass of yourself, then HOAs are a miserable animal keeping you from flying your freak flag (exactly what they are there for ).

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I like my HOA.  I like houses in my neighborhood to not be pink or purple.  I like the fact that someone can't just take their car apart on the driveway.  I like the fact that there's no boat or camper on the drive way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I have but never will again
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#36]
As I get older I can see were an HOA would be nice if your living among like minded individuals who have the same ideals of what you want your neighborhood to look like. Stil would not live in an HOA controlled neighborhood unless it was just a pain in the ass to buy a house in a  nice neighborhood without an HOA.

An HOA is no place for a persons/families who dont have time or physcial capability to mow every week or dont make their home the first priority in life..
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So your neighbor has to mow their lawn every month or so, not leave cars in their front yard, not paint their house neon purple...

Some people like to protect their property value.  

the value in your primary residence is having it paid off so you have more expendable income to invest in something you don't have to live in.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

To all the HOA hating people might as well move out of the city too.  City has a bunch of rules of what you can and can't do your property.  So that means moving out of the city into the county

Whats your point?

Everybody lives in a Municipality.

Its called Civil Society.

Only those that bought into the wrong neighborhood have to put up with an HOA.

You may love your HOA today.

But all HOA's have a special rule. Its called Rule 22.

Rule 22 basically states that "We the HOA board can change the rules"

An HOA has the power to control your use of your property.

An HOA can levy fees and special assessments.

An HOA can take you to court and with 99% probability of winning.

An HOA can foreclose on your home.

An HOA can misappropriate your dues which is equivalent to steeling your money.

Your Neighbor working on his car in the driveway is not even in the same league as the evil and misery that an HOA can rain down on you when they go bad.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

My brother does, but they have community pools, tennis courts, and all sorts of stuff that they can use...

It ain't free tho.

Average hoa dues boost the real cost of a home bt 30 thousand dollare
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#40]
<-------  Lives in Maine.  Has no idea what HOA is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You really only hear about the really bad, overbearing HOAs. Most of them are good, and keep neighborhoods looking nice. If you want anarchy, buy some land out in the country.

Of course, instead of having an HOA I guess you could vet the people moving in and come up with some rules to keep the place clean and inviting, maybe turn it into some kind of neighborhood wide association..

...oh wait.
I disagree with the idea of mowing grass for the most part.

Mice, insects, snakes and other assorted wildlife probably love you then

I hate mowing too though. I'll probably have a gravel front yard with a few cacti.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Perhaps. My dad hates snakes (Like sincere a snake phobia) and wants to eliminate any chance of such things. Why not a victory garden? gravel? I just hate having 3 acres of rock hilly tree filled property that looks fine with natural high grass but yet i spend a stupid amount of time mowing it for my dad every once in a while when it just grows back.

Getting married and moving out soon so I'll see what happens in seattle. We will see what i get to do. Where i live its a real old neighborhood when each house has ~5 acres and lots of woods. So i raised my sheep in my backyard growing up and soon we will be holding horses. So i just get scared looking at all these new suburbs popping up where houses are 13 feet from each other.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#42]
With google earth and all the ways real estate is measured today, who CARES whether your temporary neighbor has cars or appliances parked in their yard? You only want to increase your property value if you want a quick return when you move. If you like where you live, YOU DON'T WANT HIGHER PROPERTY TAXES! Those assessors don't even live in your town...
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because people have become so stupid, so self absorbed, that common sense can't be relied upon to govern people's actions...hence the HOA has to hammer the fools.

This...
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#44]
It is simple and plain, none of you live where I live.  None of you can appreciate my neighborhood.  I could buy 50 acres in an unincorporated area and avoid the HOA after I paid to get utilities ran to the land. Or I can read, understand and accept the HOA rules on a .25 acre plot of land and be happy. It really sucks for you if you cannot read, understand, and accept basic terms before you agree to purchase property..........  Or if you take no interest in your HOA after moving in.  I would bet most of those bitching about the board of their HOA are also bitching about background checks and mag limits but have not joined the NRA or any other firearm owners group......
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#45]

People tend to like rules when they keep the "riff-raff" in check.

People tend to not like rules when they're the ones defined as "riff-raff."

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:47:47 AM EDT
[#46]
it is so their neighbor doesn't do this:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/05/technology/adzookie/index.htm
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Some people like the controlled aspect of the HOA neighborhood. The fact that you dont understand that doesnt seem to matter for those folks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#48]
They're not that bad, just like anything else, you only hear about the bad ones.

As long as you read the rules and abide by them then there won't be any problems.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:10:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I am tired of living in fucking slums.  I hate having to drive past yards with cars on blocks, overgrown weeds and bushes, and grass that aint been cut in 5 months.  I want to live in a nice up kept neighborhood.  The people that live here are assholes; but their homes and yards are neat and clean.

My liberty and freedom are not infringed.  My HOA started some BS with me when I first moved in, I eventually told them to get fucked.  No issues since.

Those are no no's in my city. If they homeowner doesn't fix those you can report them and the city will get it taken care of.

Yeah, I'm sure they're getting right on that in places like Detroit and Chicago.  

I purposely moved into a home that has an HOA and I'm glad I made the decision.  Tired of worrying about the dumbass family that trashes their house and yard, lowering my value.  Best decision I've made.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#50]
As of now I am in an HOA, first time for me.
If I had to buy another house I would not be in another HOA.
I like it here, but would rather not be in the HOA, it can be good or bad.

Yes there are fees, not bad though. It is a gated community is the biggest reason for the fees.
It is a very safe place with higher income people.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top