Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
hold up, he was blind the entire time?

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

I don't understand how people arrive at this conclusion.

If he was blind how did he:
A) shoot the hairless cat with his bow at the beginning?
B) feed cat to the mouse?
C)see the low power reading on his IPOD?
D)not walk off the damaged overpass?
E)see the water container in the the female bandit's shopping cart that he picked up to check?
F) shoot multiple bad guys in the street in all sorts of locations at all kinds of ranges with a handgun?

These are just the things that come to mind and I haven't watched the movie for probably a year.
Just because he wore dark glasses to protect his eyes and he could read brail does not mean he was blind.

I don't think your supposed to think he is blind until the end. Then your like damn he's blind He walked by faith.....
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

E)see the water container in the the female bandit's shopping cart that he picked up to check?
F) shoot multiple bad guys in the street in all sorts of locations at all kinds of ranges with a handgun?

These are just the things that come to mind and I haven't watched the movie for probably a year.
Just because he wore dark glasses to protect his eyes and he could read brail does not mean he was blind.

This times elevty billion.

He was not fucking blind.

He WENT blind at the end because his mission was accomplished.

I go blind everytime I complete a mission.

It sucks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WTF! Next time use a spolier alert! I hadn't seen this yet!

Spoiler alert??? Movie is damn old.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF! Next time use a spolier alert! I hadn't seen this yet!

Spoiler alert??? Movie is damn old.

I've been waiting until I can see it for free. My father was a Scot, what can I say?
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do people here keep saying there is no God?
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Book of Eli threads are troll threads that troll for trolls and then get trolls to troll other trolls and then the trolls don't know who got trolled but all of the trolls feel like they trolled somebody so they are happy about trolling even though they got trolled into trolling in the first place and then all of the trolls forget that while they were busy trolling there is that one dude who really doesn't know that Denzel was FUCKING BLIND!!!

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

I think you missed the entire point of the entire movie, entirely.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which was the biggest tragedy because he couldn't see Mila.

He wouldn't have been in a hurry to kick her out of his room when we has staying over....  
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

Listened for the sound before he released box.

mouse squeaked, so he knew it was there

Battery ran out and music stopped.

Listened for wind off the ruins.  Then he heard the appoach of the couple and then the outlaws.

He didn't see it, he demanded from her, "where is your water", took a sniff and declined to drink

They all fired a shot first, that enabled him to locate their position and drill them with the Holy HK of Power

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Actor  did such a Fantastic job in that movie but he topped himself in The Fifth Element,  Shawshank Redemption , and Blazing Saddles. Tier one all the way.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought it was decent, and somehow the ending wasn't ruined before I saw it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Some douche bag mechanic ruined it when I was dropping off a LMTV after some training thing. Stupid mechanics . Still a good movie.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, he had a bionic eye and knew the anatomy of a vulture, could smell a bald cat 50 yards away and knew the flight path of a 9mm. He was the shits in those times!

The movie has a very strong faith overtone.  Everything that happened to him, all of his shots, everything that missed him, was because of "god".

But we all know that couldn't happen in real life, god isn't real.

Tell that to Marcus Luttrell's face.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
The movie juxtaposes belief and religion.  Eli believes in God, heard his voice.  He is sincere, but the initial reaction is that he is imbalanced - just another religious crazy. Carnegie believes in Religion, but not God, and is seen as rational - evil, but rational.  The ending recasts those roles: Eli is shown to be sane, and God *was* guiding his steps.  Literally.  And Carnegie is shown to be metaphorically blind - he could not see that he was losing the power he already had while he was chasing something that only existed in his mind.

This is also where the viewer has a choice.  If Eli was blind, he could not have done all the things that he did without divine intervention or being literally super-human.  Since it really doesn't feel like a superhero movie (for one thing, he dies at the end), if the viewer cannot believe that there was divine intervention in the movie the only choice is that he could see.  There's no bridging the gap.  It is the same with more mundane miracles. If there is no rational explanation for something good happening, the believer says that God must have intervened, because it could not have happened any other way.  The non-believer says that, since God does not exist, there MUST be another explanation that we simply haven't found yet.

The filmmakers ended the movie right on the knife edge of faith.  Pretty good job, too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, he had a bionic eye and knew the anatomy of a vulture, could smell a bald cat 50 yards away and knew the flight path of a 9mm. He was the shits in those times!

The movie has a very strong faith overtone.  Everything that happened to him, all of his shots, everything that missed him, was because of "god".

But we all know that couldn't happen in real life, god isn't real.

Tell that to Marcus Luttrell's face.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
it amazes me how the "walk by faith, not by sight" theme is lost on some people.

the entire point of the movie is that he did the impossible.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

Listened for wind off the ruins.  Then he heard the appoach of the couple and then the outlaws.

He didn't see it, he demanded from her, "where is your water", took a sniff and declined to drink

They all fired a shot first, that enabled him to locate their position and drill them with the Holy HK of Power

Sounds like the movie should have been called Book of Daredevil.

If he was blind, why did he wear sunglasses?
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, HE WAS NOT BLIND!

Because if he wasn't, it would be even easier to tell that he was blind, since blind people generally stare straight forward.  It would have ruined the story they were going for.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nope

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Because if he wasn't, it would be even easier to tell that he was blind, since blind people generally stare straight forward.  It would have ruined the story they were going for.

Shush your logic and mechanics of proper story telling. Shush it now.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shush your logic and mechanics of proper story telling. Shush it now.

Not to mention everyone else was wearing sunglasses due to the Event that fucked the Earth's mesophere...so he'd stand out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Just saw this in another thread, and thought it was a perfect response to those saying that he was not blind for the entire movie:

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
9mm vs 45
Beans vs no beans
Was Eli blind

My favorite kind of threads!
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
9mm vs 45
Beans vs no beans
Was Eli blind

My favorite kind of threads!

I agree, but I'm still going with the bionic eye theory.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

1) Everyone in the movie wore sunglasses outside.  If he didn't he would stick out like a sore thumb.
2) Bright sun can still be painful to your eyes even if you can't "see."
3) It's customary for the blind to wear sunglasses.  He was old for the times; he would have remembered that custom.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exactly! The blind don't wear sunglasses!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top