User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw it yesterday in IMAX.

I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely worth watching. I think the flash hider was a pws of some type.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Tom Cruise makes pretty good movies. I look forward to seeing it.

This.

Fuck the actor's political views , just do your muthaluvin job and entertain me

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw it this past weekend. Wasn't sure what to expect... other than I was expecting to be disappointed (as I have been with the majority of the crap coming out of Hollywood the past few years).

I won't say it was on my top ten list of best movies ever, but it was worth watching.

I will say that I wish I had Tom Cruise's working partner relationship.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Just watched it and I think Alex Jones' take on it is pretty accurate.  Without that perspective, I understand why people are scratching their head and saying ,"Da fuck"?

Spoiler, there are no "aliens."

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My son and I really liked it.  Great visuals and a cool story.

I hate to support the scientologist, but he makes great movies.  no L. Ron Hubbard in the end, so that was good! :-)
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome soundtrack.  Good movie.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw it on Saturday night and thought it was a great movie.  I thought Tom Cruise was ok in it but I wish they had used somebody else with less celebrity power only because any movie he is in nowadays seems to become a "Tom Cruise" movie and detracts from the greatness of the movie itself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought it was ok... But I have to say this... The first thing that I thought was unusual in the movie was "every time" the red head was on the screen her eyes were dialated???!!! Yes.... Every time !!!

noticed this too - they were huge! great movie IMO
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I thought it was pretty good. The storyline was slightly less predictable than a lot of movies. I'll probably end up buying it when it is released to disk.

That's funny, I leaned over to my wife about 15 minutes in and told her I knew exactly what the plot was.  I was disappointed it was so predictable.  As far as a review... looks better in previews than in reality.  It was 'OK', but wish I had waited for RedBox instead of paying for 4 of us to go.

ETA - There is some extensive Ma Deuce pr0n with Fiddys vs. DroneBots.  Pretty rousing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anybody else see it?

ETA (to bring this question):  Did anybody else see the Magpul MS3 sling on the main character's rifle? or identify the Muzzle Brake?

Who wouldn't want to see Musetta?

EDIT: Hmmmmmmm. You know, for the way this list is, there seems to be a lot of guys who are very gung ho about a movie with George Takei in it. Curiouser and curiouser.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought it was ok... But I have to say this... The first thing that I thought was unusual in the movie was "every time" the red head was on the screen her eyes were dialated???!!! Yes.... Every time !!!

Yeah, my wife noticed that and mentioned it to me. Sure enough, giant wide open pupils in every shot.

I was too focused on Olga and her bulging right eye, as if it were about to pop out of her head.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, my wife noticed that and mentioned it to me. Sure enough, giant wide open pupils in every shot.

I was too focused on Olga and her bulging right eye, as if it were about to pop out of her head.

http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/olga_kurylenko_in_oblivion-HD.jpg

What's wrong with her again?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of out of the loop, just saw a preview for it today. Looks like a decent Sci Fi flick.  

I have a lot of catching up to do.. just remembered I never saw Cloud Atlas, which was on my short list of things to see.

Never heard of Cloud Atlas until now.  Looks pretty cool.

Cloud Atlas Trailer

wont watch anything with Susan Sarandon in it.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I am not a scifi fan but Oblivion was a good movie.  The graphics were well edited.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Just watched Oblivion. Dozed off a few times. Can anyone tell me if there were really aliens, or were humans still battling each other?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#18]
SPOILERS

Saw it today.
Fun to watch. Good score. Cool story. The whole "aliens stealing our natural resources" thing is completely new and refreshing [/sarcasm].
Interesting twists. Was a little confusing how the backstory was pieced together but by the end I think everything is more or less answered, although at that point it seemed kind of like a test audience demanded a few things so they edited it to fill in some gaps.
Overall I liked it and would see it again in the movies.

Added bonus... saw it in one of the local remodeled theaters that has reclining leather seats. Wow... changes the whole experience. And it was a matinee so it was only $6.00.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am not a scifi fan but Oblivion was a good movie.  The graphics were well edited.  

I saw this (or similar) on HBO...the behind the scenes Inside Look
How they filmed...then refilmed on set with 360degree screen, etc.

I really appreciate the movie a little more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9m6KzRMWnA

forward to 4:45 (ish)

eta: damn embed
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone else instantly think Elder Scrolls?

I did. But then again I'm still playing skyrim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw it Tuesday night at the IMAX. It was a good flick with great special effects, but I found the story to be predictable.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I saw this (or similar) on HBO...the behind the scenes Inside Look
How they filmed...then refilmed on set with 360degree screen, etc.

Wow... that was AMAZING. Almost as impressive as watching the movie itself. I think people have gotten so used to the idea that everything is CG'ed in and blue-screen filmed that you really need to watch that to appreciate what went into this and how much of a difference it made to the crew to have those real elements as part of the filming. Awesome.

And I don't care what anyone says... Tom Cruise is flippin awesome. He's a watchable actor. If you deny him that you're on the crack. He's committed to his craft and it looks like everyone really enjoys working with him. He's not a lunatic that blows up at people. He appears (at least on these inside look documentaries) to have as much respect for the people working on the film as they do him. Yeah, he seems a little weird, but I'd totally hang out with the guy and buy him a beer.

I'm seeing this movie again tonight. There ain't shit else out for another month or so anyway. I might see Iron Man 3 but I'm walking into that expecting to come out smelling like poop. Aside from that... Star Trek, Man of Steel, and Elysium are all I'm looking forward to for the summer 'blockbusters".
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Dat Olga.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Good movie, especially if you like hard science fiction.  It seemed to me that the story was a throwback to the great SF novels of the '60s.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of out of the loop, just saw a preview for it today. Looks like a decent Sci Fi flick.  

I have a lot of catching up to do.. just remembered I never saw Cloud Atlas, which was on my short list of things to see.

Never heard of Cloud Atlas until now.  Looks pretty cool.

Cloud Atlas Trailer

wont watch anything with Susan Sarandon in it.

Sorry.

Now that movie was rather disappointing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It seemed to me that the story was a throwback to the great SF novels of the '60s.

It did didn't it. Especially when you see the concept art and how they flawlessly made it reality.
The story is kind of like a Philip K. Dick story... without the mutants or downer ending. I was half expecting for a drone to fly into the compound and Cruise look at Freeman and tell him how they've been trying to infiltrate the last of the humans for decades or some crap... like Total Recall. Glad they didn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Loved it.  Movie is mostly one long eyegasm. Instantly noticed the MS3 sling, vortex flashhider, and most of the "scavs" weapons were HK or modified HKs.  The blond headed guy had a modified USP that looked really cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think one of the Scavs had a Barrett and there was one gun I have no idea what it was. Looked like something out of [David Lynch's] Dune. Remember the scene where he's showing them the "weirding modules" and he has the dude cut the stone. The guy brings out this big long cutter. I can't find a picture of it to confirm it though.

I was off on this one... not the same one from Dune. I don't have any stills from Oblivion to compare yet.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Son saw it right off the bat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I liked it

felt like a decent sci fi novel

or at least as close as you are going to get from Hollywood

as I heard more than a couple people walking about remark it was hard to follow

really?

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep saw it and liked it. Predictable but interesting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Real fun movie.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Great movie, wasn't expecting the multiples twist. I thought the cgi / graphics wa amazingly good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#34]
To bad it's Tom Cruise.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...snip...
I keep hearing Tom Cruise's rifle was a modified Bushmaster ACR with shrouds and such added on.
Can't wait to see some replicas of the rifle and more so the sidearm come out.
...snip...

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Anyone else recognize the US Optics SN-9 10-42x80mm scope on that Barrett?

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The technique they used for projection mapping the environment was pretty cool:

http://youtu.be/9DCkIuv82Q4

Yeah, the skyscapes around the station were amazing, now I know why it didn't look like crappy CGI.  If I was enormously wealthy, I'd have at least one room of my mansion set up like that.

The redhead didn't impress early on (lack of personality), but the pool scene was mindnumbingly hot, I was too dazed afterward to care all that much about the brunette.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think either chick was whip-it-out-in-the-middle-of-the-theater-and-beat-it hot. I can think of other chicks that could have done as good.
But the Brit chick played the part great. Rigid and all business.
The other chick had a few scenes where she really showed great emotion. Other scenes she was just along for the Cruise.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Spoiler Alert (question)

We are led to believe that all the other clones of jack, working on earth as drone techs, have jack's memories and instincts.   Does that mean more Jacks will eventually show up at the mountain house?  Would imagine that would be a awkward situation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I liked it!  

I though the dialogue was a bit poorly written in parts (especially what was supposed to pass for romance or passion), and a few scenes were unnecessarily dramatic (in a cheesy way). I also thought the final ending scene (with 52) could have been dropped - it seemed forced, and the film would have been fine without it.

But, ultimately those are nitpicky points, and I thought that overall - it was a really good film!

Agree 100%.  Wife and I walked out and looked at each other and near spit out the same sentence.

However...still a good movie.  Worth the admission fee.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Spoiler Alert (question) We are led to believe that all the other clones of jack, working on earth as drone techs, have jack's memories and instincts.   Does that mean more Jacks will eventually show up at the mountain house?  Would imagine that would be a awkward situation.

Hard to say how many areas of the planet had drone/tech occupation.

My interpretation was that the other clones memory wipes stayed tight because there was nothing to trigger a "recall". The 49 tech probably had flashbacks because he was patrolling the NYC area where he obviously had lived or done things in.
The 52 techs memories were immediately triggered by 1) seeing another him and 2) seeing the girl. She seemed to be the memory he held onto/cherished the most.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Spoiler Alert (question)
We are led to believe that all the other clones of jack, working on earth as drone techs, have jack's memories and instincts.   Does that mean more Jacks will eventually show up at the mountain house?  Would imagine that would be a awkward situation.

None of the rest met Julia and had their memories shocked into better clarity like 49 and 52.  None of the others know Julia exists.  If they eventually remember that she existed they wouldn't know she was still alive.  So no.
Quoted:

My
interpretation was that the other clones memory wipes stayed tight
because there was nothing to trigger a "recall". The 49 tech probably
had flashbacks because he was patrolling the NYC area where he obviously
had lived or done things in.

The 52 techs memories were immediately
triggered by 1) seeing another him and 2) seeing the girl. She seemed
to be the memory he held onto/cherished the most.

I think all of them had memories resurfacing.  I think as time went on more and more memories would resurface.  I think that was the reason for the time limit for them being on planet.  Eventually they'd remember and the alien AI would bring them back up for disposal before the memory wipe completely wore off.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Saw it. Was less than impressed. I can't help but feel tbis was based on an intelligent sci fi book that they dumbed down for audiences, like Bladerunner, Starship Troopers, or I, Robot. And the last line Harper says seems completely out of character.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spoiler Alert (question) We are led to believe that all the other clones of jack, working on earth as drone techs, have jack's memories and instincts.   Does that mean more Jacks will eventually show up at the mountain house?  Would imagine that would be a awkward situation.

My interpretation was that the other clones memory wipes stayed tight because there was nothing to trigger a "recall". The 49 tech probably had flashbacks because he was patrolling the NYC area where he obviously had lived or done things in.
The 52 techs memories were immediately triggered by 1) seeing another him and 2) seeing the girl. She seemed to be the memory he held onto/cherished the most.

All of the Jacks are apparently living with the red head, and the two of them were fairly close before they were captured.  The capture would be a really intense memory, and "another day in paradise" leaked into their new personalities.  Probably all of the Jacks are at least a little discombobulated by that alone.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the Jacks are apparently living with the red head, and the two of them were fairly close before they were captured.  The capture would be a really intense memory, and "another day in paradise" leaked into their new personalities.  Probably all of the Jacks are at least a little discombobulated by that alone.

I thought the flashback to the space mission showed that the red head wanted his balls.

Also, I never knew the little bastard was left handed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Saw it yesterday. Good flick. Definitely reminds me of the good hard sci-fi I was reading back in the 60's.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the flashback to the space mission showed that the red head wanted his balls.

Maybe that's why she never questions the mission.  She's living out more or less what she wanted most and is contented, he's not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's why she never questions the mission.  She's living out more or less what she wanted most and is contented, he's not.

This was my impression as well. I got the sense that while Tom's character is constantly dreaming of this unknown brunette, the redhead is probably dreaming up her old feelings about jack.

There was a lot of tension when Olga was at the table with the other two.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top