Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Dog was there first grandson must go.  

j;k  Dog needs to go to a childless home.

ETA
I have 2 130 pound dogs I have trained them while they were eating by putting treats in their bowls and had friends small children do the same.

They now associate small children with treat providers and if while they are eating and a child approaches their food bowl they will step back , sit, and wait for a treat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I agree with you - sad but the warning signs appear to be quite clear.

I wouldn't necessarily bury it in the woods, but I'd take it to the animal shelter and warn them that the dog has issues with kids and went for a youngling.

No question though - the dog needs to go.   That's a big powerful dog and a kid would stand no chance if it came down to it.

This...or buried in the woods already.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Dog needs to go.  

SSS
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a big fan of American Bulldogs. My limited experience is they are not a forgiving breed.

Just something about the breed. Beautiful dogs, but I would never leave my kids near them alone..

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
ill be the first to admit im not any kind of dog expert. that said. its my belief that if you want any kind of dog, who is pack trained, and can deal with small kids, or other small animals. You should buy the dog as a puppy, and raise it around the young kids, and small animals.

adding a baby, to a family with a grown dog, is a mistake to me.  the dog should be raised from a puppy, having become used to small squealing children, and crying babies.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some pets just don't react well to children.  Find him a new home without them, and everyone will be happier, including the dog.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I like dogs and all... but snap at a child with no provocation? The dog would "be sleeping with the fishes"... Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]
When I married my wife she came with two small girls.  My Australian shepherd border collie mix snapped at them shortly after they moved in.  Within an hour he was at the pound.  You just cannot ignore it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Time for a new home for the dog.

Yep, give it to someone who has no kids.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The problem isn't the dog.

But he still has to go because of the "real" problem isn't really in charge of the "pack" in that household.

I have a Newfoundland/ wolf mix in our house and he knows exactly where I stand on aggression.

My son and now my nephew as babies, have crawled all over him, pulled on his fur, tried to sit or ride on him.

Most of the time he will simply lay down and take it until I can get to him and save him or he will simply walk away or come over to me for reassurance.

He will sometimes look at me and I can tell he's a little panicked.  I will say "easy" in a soft tone and remove the kid.  He knows I will save him.  He also knows to just walk away.

He also knows if he does anything remotely aggressive that thunder will rain down upon him.

He learned that one the hard way.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree. Give the dog away to some friends etc. Way too dangerous for a small child.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Some dogs cannot be trusted with children regardless of training.

Its not worth the risk.  They should find the dog a new home WITHOUT kids and probably without other dogs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
First sign of aggression from a pet and it should be euthanized. Hindsight is 20/20 and you have hindsight to base a decision.

I'm no great lover of animals but I work closely with cows and herd dogs when at work. There's no predicting animals, based on what you've said, if'in I was in your shoes I'd dig a deep hole in soft dirt and take the animal for a walk.

Giving animal to folks with no kids is no guaranty of that animal not getting close to a child. I walked into that scenario as a 5 year old. I no sooner got out of car and neighbors dog bit through my jeans and tore an inscisor grip into my thigh. Lots of blood, stitches and tears. This was a country neighbor, not a next door neighbor. Dog had run of the farm.

Neighbor, says yea, that dog doesn't like kids.

Really ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kids >Dog.

The dog needs to go. And, by "go" I mean approximately 3-4 feet underground...

Oh for fuck's sake, some of you just look for reasons to kill anything. Dog needs a new home without children, problem solved Billy Badass,

Makes you wonder who the cops are in these threads.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit dog owners not setting proper social skills with said future child muncher.

Even worse is that this particular dog is giving you all the warning signs for FREE.  Some owners never see the warning signs because they never look for them.

And that right there is why we see so many owners claiming their dogs just snapped one day without warning after having been the sweetest dog ever. It's a lie. There are always warning signs. Whether they are noticed and acted upon is an entirely different matter.

Dog has to go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a blue heeler that I was fond of.  The second time he growled at my daughter(then a toddler), he went bye-bye.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Kids >Dog.

Oh for fuck's sake, some of you just look for reasons to kill anything. Dog needs a new home without children, problem solved Billy Badass,

Ha!

No seriously though, why kill a dog when you can put him in a different home (without children)?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My cousins daughter was attacked in the face by her family black lab at the age of 2...permanently scarred for life....Dog showed early signs of aggression just like this one.
The parents are crazy and insane to see what happens....personally I would call CPS on them if I know what you know...the dog needs to be given to a shelter and told that the dog does not like kids...this is a DISASTER waiting to happen.

Calling CPS over a dog snapping at a child?  The act of calling CPS "on them" is equivalent to you saying that the child should be taken away from his parents and cared for by the state foster care system.  The circumstances for doing this should be cases of serious abuse/neglect.

I agree that the dog "should" be gotten rid of, but it is one thing to believe that someone "should" do something, and it is another thing to send armed government agents to enforce that something shall" be done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a 7 mo old grandson, his parents have a 100lb American Bulldog 5 yrs old male family pet, no signs of aggression shown towards the child until this weekend, the kid has recently become mobile  (started crawling) he of course crawls toward the dog, at first the dog growled, and he was corrected by the owner, but yesterday he growls and snaps at the kid....
I say the dog has to go, no choice, the parents want to keep him kenneled and supervised more closely and "see what happens"

I don't trust any dog breeds around children unsupervised, but especially these large breeds... if he attacked me I couldn't stop him....
I know more people get bit by dachsunds, but I can throw them against the wall...
Sucks to lose a pet, but wait and see isn't an option in my opinion.

If It was my dog, he would be buried in the woods already...

I LOVE it when my parents try to tell me what to do with my children.  It really helps to strengthen our bond...

You better have some serious firepower if you plan to go to war with your chilren over your grandchildren.  

It's also a good way to get to spend more time with your grandchildren.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kids >Dog.

This. ANY dog that shows one iota of aggression toward a child should be wasted immediately. Why give the dog away to someone else so that it can potentially hurt someone else's child. No dog is worth even one tiny scar on a kid. Much less a worse injury.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#21]
BIL's GSD bit his daughter on the face. He wasn't looking so he assumed it was accidental.
He figured it never bit his other two kids so it couldn't have been intentional

Dog took a hunk out of her cheek a month later

He put it down.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 7 mo old grandson, his parents have a 100lb American Bulldog 5 yrs old male family pet, no signs of aggression shown towards the child until this weekend, the kid has recently become mobile  (started crawling) he of course crawls toward the dog, at first the dog growled, and he was corrected by the owner, but yesterday he growls and snaps at the kid....
I say the dog has to go, no choice, the parents want to keep him kenneled and supervised more closely and "see what happens"
I don't trust any dog breeds around children unsupervised, but especially these large breeds... if he attacked me I couldn't stop him....
I know more people get bit by dachsunds, but I can throw them against the wall...

WTF is that.....do they want to see Marlin Perkin's "Wild Kingdom" acted out in their living room????

Tell those idiots to get rid of the dog or put the kid up for adoption.....they don't know how to be parents yet.

"See what happens" is just too stupid to comprehend.  They need to be slapped into reality.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Kids >Dog.

Not me. Although I would be lying if I said I hadn't ever considered it.

Sorry HiramRanger, we'll agree to disagree; no "Billy Badass" about it. I see the dog as a liability whether it's in a household with kids, or not. A liability I wouldn't feel comfortable pawning off on someone else.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wouldn't have a 100lb dog of any breed around a very small child.  When my son was little I noticed large dogs always seemed to be frightened by him.  Cows too.  My guess was it was the way children that age move, too erratic.  I believe it is instinct for animals to be afraid of children.  I know there are a million exceptions to what I just said but a child is worth more than any animal.  Take no chances.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Bah... Dogs cost money.  Kids are free, and fun to make.

Get a new kid.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Find a American Bulldog rescue, they can place the dog in a good home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"see what happens"

that mentality gets a bunch of people hurt.

I start our dogs at day one. this is my world you live in it and your alpha nothing.
not over the rabbit not even the bird I hate so much

my dogs are kid proof....and we dont even have kids
I started them both with the goal of becoming therapy dogs. I say it in every one of theses threads.... dogs need social skills
plain and simple

ETA: dont mean to sound like mr. badass or anything. Its just irritating to see people have dogs that let them get away with so much
and ignore behavior that leads up to stuff like this
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A properly motivated dog can break out of a typical kennel. Saw it with my own eyes.

ETA I love my dogs, but they don't get to spend any unsupervised time around my child. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#29]
You need to remove the dog and give it to someone who doesn't have any children.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not a big fan of American Bulldogs. My limited experience is they are not a forgiving breed.

Just something about the breed. Beautiful dogs, but I would never leave my kids near them alone..

It's not the breed. It's the dog. Even as a young pup my 4yo had complete dominance over the dog.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#31]

we gave up our beloved newfie to adoption when he growled at my crawling toddler

his first and only growl

and his last in my home

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

we gave up our beloved newfie to adoption when he growled at my crawling toddler

his first and only growl

and his last in my home

A NEWFIE?!

They're supposed to be damn near teddybears with legs around kids.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My cousins daughter was attacked in the face by her family black lab at the age of 2...permanently scarred for life....Dog showed early signs of aggression just like this one.
The parents are crazy and insane to see what happens....personally I would call CPS on them if I know what you know...the dog needs to be given to a shelter and told that the dog does not like kids...this is a DISASTER waiting to happen.

This.

Jesse....browning? From axe men had his child bitten by the family dog. Stupid fuck kept it and it mauled his daughter to death 9 months later.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Dog would be DRT.  I got bit when I was four by a dog.  Never saw his ass again.  I assumed that dad and grandpa took him out to our ranch and blasted his ass.

I was bitten badly by my dads German Shepherd when I was 2. He had never shown a single sign of aggressiveness towards my brother or I.

I have permanent scaring on my face and scalp to this day. It took over 30 stitches to patch me up.

Artamus was promptly tied to a tree and put down. My dad cried like a baby, but it had to be done.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd get rid of the kid
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#36]
New home with no kids. The dog has already had a second chance. Don't give it a third....
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#37]
This is a no brainer.
I saw a toddler (toddler isn't the right term, just walking while holding the couch, under a year old) get "nipped" by a pit bull about a foot away from me and it has left a lasting impression. That dog was the calmest, nicest dog you could ask for until that moment. Toddler got some marks, pit got <COC>. <Not my pit bull, not my justice, but the owner (toddlers dad) made sure it wouldn't happen again. I would have had a similar reaction.
We have two dogs and a baby about that age now. They are nice and calm, no signs at all of aggression, but I watch them like a hawk. I love my dogs, but my boy comes first.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling CPS over a dog snapping at a child?  The act of calling CPS "on them" is equivalent to you saying that the child should be taken away from his parents and cared for by the state foster care system.  The circumstances for doing this should be cases of serious abuse/neglect.

I agree that the dog "should" be gotten rid of, but it is one thing to believe that someone "should" do something, and it is another thing to send armed government agents to enforce that something shall" be done.

You are kidding me right? When a child is placed in harms way from their parents to something that can maim them or kill them you have an obligation if the parents won't do anything to rectify the situation to report it. I am not talking about a parent who let's their kids ride a dirt bike and they might get harm from an activity....The dog has warned the parents that it can attack at any moment...It is their OBLIGATION as a parent to try to provide a safe environment for their child. It is the obligation of the grand parent who knows FIRST hand what may happen to do something...I know of the consequences first hand and how my cousin has suffered for her ENTIRE life because of the idiot of a father she had who refused to remove the dog...by the way he went to prison for 5 years for child endangerment because of the dog....  so now the WHOLE family was destroyed...It is not the act of the dog snapping that is the issue...it is the wait and see attitude of the parents AFTER the fact that the dog snapped is the problem
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Im calling BS, it was probably a pitbull, know your dog breeds people, labs are not aggressive.  Even if the dog is registered and the parents are 100% labs proven by DNA once the dog attacks it automatically turns into a pit, that is the GD way.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:43:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Op if it was a pit I would say kill it, but since its not Id keep it around see what happens give it to someone else see what happens.  I mean sure the signs are there but its not a pit and arfcom gd has gone full retard
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#41]
My roommate's dog is the sweetest dog. Last weekend, we were over at a friend's house and his and another friend's kid were there (both almost one and recently mobile). They were both fascinated by the dog. The dog kept moving away from them not knowing what to make of these two small creatures. The little girl petted him gently and leaned in to give him a kiss. He put his snout out to her. It was pretty cute.

The boy, on the other hand, was rougher. He would pinch handfuls of fur and kind of pull and twist; hence, the dog made a concerted effort to navigate out of the boy's reach after be figured out what was going on. Little kid backed him in a corner and started slapping at the dog's face. Dog kind of straightened back and growled/snarled. Roommate, sitting on the couch next to where the dog was sitting on the floor, grabbed him and said, "nooooo!"  

I whispered, "good doggy."

No one likes to get hit in the face. The fact of the matter is some kids are just too young to be around dogs. Some kids don't know how to behave around an animal and don't understand what they can be capable of. For the record, the kid didn't even blink when the dog checked him. He just mind of gave the dog a look like, "huh?"
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im calling BS, it was probably a pitbull, know your dog breeds people, labs are not aggressive.  Even if the dog is registered and the parents are 100% labs proven by DNA once the dog attacks it automatically turns into a pit, that is the GD way.  

Not only was the dog a black lab but his name was Lincoln from the mod squad. There was no pit bull in him....none...I know my dog breeds...I have been involved with MANY MANY dogs for my entire life...and I am 51
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I love my dogs but if they snapped at my daughter they are getting put down. If they bit my daughter we would step out back and i would do it my self.

If they want to re-home the dog that's up to them but dog has GOT TO GO!
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:58:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Dog  has to go.

Plenty of people without kids would be willing to adopt him.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Idiot dog owners. Changed the living conditions on the dog. Not the dogs fault. Keep your kids away from animals while they are small. The safest thing may be to relocate the dog. Talking about killing your pet because you changed the conditions just shows what assholes you are.

You know you're in GD on arfcom (a gun forum), right? People here love to shoot and kill shit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Our 15lb shihtzu snapped at my daughter and he got sent to a rescue.  No way I'd have a dog that big being aggressive.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife and I had a Norwegian Elkhound before our first son was born.  She was our "child substitute" for five years before the boy was born and we mostly spoiled her.

Our dog never accepted our son.  She had nothing to do with him and showed signs of zealously.  We tried to get her to accept the boy but she never would.

The first time she snapped at our son we scolded her to let her not that she couldn't establish dominance.  She didn't learn the lesson so we got rid of her when she did it the second time.  It hurt to get rid of her but it was the right thing to do.

Maybe we could have trained her better or done things differently but we didn't.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the replies, the dog has to go... No brainer. New home, whatever, just away from the kid, and new owners need to be aware of the entire situation.

it isnt our decision, but it is our grandson and 23 year old parents don't have the wisdom to make the best decisions
 We are simply stuck in the middle, Grandma gave them our advice, they know where we stand, Its up to the parents to make the next move.

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#50]
GD shows its typical bloodlust for killing animals. The dog needs to go but im sure a bulldog rescue can find a home without kids for it.

Dont some of you realize that a growl is a dogs way of saying "stay away from me". Definitely not a reason to kill it. But then again some of you would get off on stomping kittens heads in.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top