Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2013 5:25:09 PM EDT
Picked this up for $500 today. Haven't had a chance to run it yet.  I've had electric and nitro cars and boats. This is my first gasoline RC.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
dude that looks like the engine on my Echo trimmer!
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, how fast does it go? I had a miss Budweiser hydroplane but it never went faster than 1mph :(
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like fun.

I don't know anything about boats, just curious, why is the rudder off center?
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Now you need one for trolling with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure on the off center prop?  My guess has to do with the prop torque. Its is basically a water cooled weed wiper motor. I was told by the seller it would keep up with a full size Baja
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Gas boats are a ton of fun!!!

And yes they are basically modified string trimmer engines.

2.4 GHz?
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gas boats are a ton of fun!!!

And yes they are basically modified string trimmer engines.

2.4 GHz?

No it an older 75mhz. I'm sure a radio upgrade is in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like fun.

Straight prop shaft. Drive line comes straight out of the transom at a shallow angle. Because of this the prop is set well to the rear. Rudder is offset to stay clear of the prop.

There are flex drive units where the prop/rudder both steer the boat, but these are complex and expensive.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like fun.

Straight prop shaft. Drive line comes straight out of the transom at a shallow angle. Because of this the prop is set well to the rear. Rudder is offset to stay clear of the prop.

There are flex drive units where the prop/rudder both steer the boat, but these are complex and expensive.

well if you cut off that 3" of extra prop shaft and I bet you could fit the rudder behind the prop. Does the extra prop shaft provide extra stability considering how overpowered r/c are to the real thing? OP watch out on those right turns.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Tuned pipe really wakes the Zenoah engines up
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like fun.

well if you cut off that 3" of extra prop shaft and I bet you could fit the rudder behind the prop. Does the extra prop shaft provide extra stability considering how overpowered r/c are to the real thing? OP watch out on those right turns.

Can't put the prop that close to the transom with this setup. It could come in maybe an inch if it had to, and still get a decent bite, but it looks good to me where it is.

Rudder doesn't need to be in line with the prop.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tuned pipe really wakes the Zenoah engines up

Has one
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]

I want to see a turbine powered RC boat someday.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEaTyauQMU

Ok, that is seriously cool.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I was saving post 223 for when I got my LPK but this thread is relevant to my interests. I had a SV27 that I sold to my little brother. He upgraded the motor to some huge brushless motor, upgraded all the watercooling, prop, drive shaft and ESC. He runs it on 6S Lipo. We have'nt GPS'd it yet because it won't stay in the water.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't put any guns on it..they are sure to be lost.  

Every boat owner has two good days the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like fun.

Can't put the prop that close to the transom with this setup. It could come in maybe an inch if it had to, and still get a decent bite, but it looks good to me where it is.

Rudder doesn't need to be in line with the prop.

The hull sits too high on plane? I can definitely understand being wrong, I just want to know why so it does not happen again,  As to the off set rudder does it help counter the torque from the prop or am I right in thinking that it would be much more effective on right turns than left turns?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#18]

lots of fun - mine is over 20 years old and still runing
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEaTyauQMU

how that little thing does not lift off ... is beyond me..  

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 4:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't put any guns on it..they are sure to be lost.  

Every boat owner has two good days the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it.

Eh...just a hole in the water to throw your money into
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The hull sits too high on plane? I can definitely understand being wrong, I just want to know why so it does not happen again,  As to the off set rudder does it help counter the torque from the prop or am I right in thinking that it would be much more effective on right turns than left turns?

Sorry to leave this hanging, went to sleep.

Actually it's the height of the prop in relation to the hull. With the shaft coming straight out at the bottom of the "V" at a shallow angle, it takes a little setback to get (and keep) the prop in the water.

Torque would probably not be an issue with this boat but prop walk might, and that would tend to steer the boat to the right (left hand prop). Having the big rudder next to the prop will help, but most RC racers are set up to favor right hand turns anyway, as that's how most courses are laid out.

It will turn to the left fine, but it may take a little trim to track straight. A set of turn fins would be a good addition, but otherwise I think it's just fine the way it is.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to leave this hanging, went to sleep.

Actually it's the height of the prop in relation to the hull. With the shaft coming straight out at the bottom of the "V" at a shallow angle, it takes a little setback to get (and keep) the prop in the water.

Torque would probably not be an issue with this boat but prop walk might, and that would tend to steer the boat to the right (left hand prop). Having the big rudder next to the prop will help, but most RC racers are set up to favor right hand turns anyway, as that's how most courses are laid out.

It will turn to the left fine, but it may take a little trim to track straight. A set of turn fins would be a good addition, but otherwise I think it's just fine the way it is.

That makes sense a prop half out of the water ain't much of a prop and if you tip it too far down you will lose a lot to front end drag. what I was worried about is in a sharp fast right hand turn that the rudder might have enough force to pick the keel off the water then I imagine bad things happening at a high rate of speed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top