BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I comprehend just fine.  Work harder and maybe you can afford some decent medical care too.

I design medical equipment for a living. Lovely medical plan. Also have real world honest to gosh medical experience. EE and medical certifications.

Mostly saves. One loss. Everyone from first on scene (me) to the tertiary care facility to the Medevac guys to the trauma team at Children's did everything humanly possible.

You?

I could guess at what you're attempting to say through that horribly written paragraph but I won't...

No answer?

Expected.

Let me try that again, Rachel: What medical experience do you have with patients whose lives are hanging in the balance?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That's two people killed for emotional bullshit.

We should just take the organs from hateful adults when a child needs a transplant
You have no clue of the facts of the case.

This girl would died without the lungs and you call it "emotional bullshit". Think about that!!
The girl got adult lungs (never done before and was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance it would work), a ticket to the front of the line, and they have had to throw away a viable set of lungs already.

Yes and that is a chance to save a child

And  kill a  possible responsible tax paying  adult  who would have had  a much greater likelihood of  surviving the procedure.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]

She had a chance and regretfully it failed, make her comfortable and let nature take its course.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every last person here would do the same for their kid that this mother did. Fair or not, you would fucking do the same thing.

True.

False.

How old is your daughter?  You mean you would let her die when the doctors told you she could receive a transplant but a rule by HHS wouldn't even allow her to have a shot?  

I would LOVE to be part of your family.  You really have their backs.

"My baby dint do nuffin!! My family is always right!!!!!"

The mantra of society today.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We should just take the organs from hateful adults when a child needs a transplant

This girl would died without the lungs and you call it "emotional bullshit". Think about that!!
The girl got adult lungs (never done before and was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance it would work), a ticket to the front of the line, and they have had to throw away a viable set of lungs already.

Would you choose to save a child who would live at most 10 more years, or an adult who would live 4x times that?

Sure and why not just exterminate all disabled people so they don't use up resources that productive people could use? Who else has used this logic???

Without social programs , that is what would happen naturally, in many to most cases.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
So what happens when this next set fails as well?  Does she get a third set of lungs?  At what point do we finally realize that this girl's chance of survival is zero?

This situation sucks but we have to realize the reality of the situation, and getting politics and the media involved will not magically fix it.  I feel for her parents.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know about that....I think the lungs came from a dead person already unless you mean someone else not getting the second set of lungs..

Two other far more applicable candidates were denied so that these games could be played.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know about that....I think the lungs came from a dead person already unless you mean someone else not getting the second set of lungs..

well, if you include the donors, it's 4. Little girls almost inevitable, immediate death, or death 10 years down the road makes 5.

If she survives, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she offs herself from survivors guilt if she fully realizes why she's alive.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I comprehend just fine.  Work harder and maybe you can afford some decent medical care too.

I design medical equipment for a living. Lovely medical plan. Also have real world honest to gosh medical experience. EE and medical certifications.

Mostly saves. One loss. Everyone from first on scene (me) to the tertiary care facility to the Medevac guys to the trauma team at Children's did everything humanly possible.

You?

I could guess at what you're attempting to say through that horribly written paragraph but I won't...

No answer?

Expected.

Let me try that again, Rachel: What medical experience do you have with patients whose lives are hanging in the balance?

None of the bleeding hearts in here have responded...typical.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a father I would have fought tooth and nail for my daughter.

Right or wrong, I would have done the same thing.

When my son was ten, I would have strangled that little girl with my bare hands to save his life.  So what?  All that means is that parents act emotionally and medical decisions should be made rationally.  That said, the real villains here are the media - in all likelihood they effectively killed two people for ratings.

You would murder an innocent child to save the life of your own child???? You and a bunch of other sociopaths apparently think that is not just OK, but admirable. Our society deserves to fail.

Let me re-iterate: you are not saying you would shoot and kill somebody who was attacking and trying to kill your child. That is self defense and is OK. You would murder an innocent child and seem proud of that fact!

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Every last person here would do the same for their kid that this mother did. Fair or not, you would fucking do the same thing.

This too.  

I am sure the family of the two people who didn't get lung transplants would do the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you choose to save a child who would live at most 10 more years, or an adult who would live 4x times that?

Sure and why not just exterminate all disabled people so they don't use up resources that productive people could use? Who else has used this logic???

Um... Barack Obama and company?

What do I win!?!
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my son was ten, I would have strangled that little girl with my bare hands to save his life.  So what?  All that means is that parents act emotionally and medical decisions should be made rationally.  That said, the real villains here are the media - in all likelihood they effectively killed two people for ratings.

You would murder an innocent child to save the life of your own child???? You and a bunch of other sociopaths apparently think that is not just OK, but admirable. Our society deserves to fail.

Let me re-iterate: you are not saying you would shoot and kill somebody who was attacking and trying to kill your child. That is self defense and is OK. You would murder an innocent child and seem proud of that fact!

well, that little girl's family used the media to murder two other patients by proxy, and you're supporting their actions.

If I misunderstood your argument, then I believe you misunderstood Jane's which I believe was not that it was ok to murder innocent people for your own benefit, but that it is normal to have those urges when it concerns your loved ones; therefore emotion should have precisely nothing to do with medicine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't fault the parents for doing this - if my kid, or grandkid was in a strait like this, you can be damned sure I'm doing everything possible to give them a life.

As to the morality of saving a child over an adult....should there even be a question? Yeah, I know...value to society, etc. Guess what, children are and should be a priority.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't fault the parents for doing this - if my kid, or grandkid was in a strait like this, you can be damned sure I'm doing everything possible to give them a life.

As to the morality of saving a child over an adult....should there even be a question? Yeah, I know...value to society, etc. Guess what, children are and should be a priority.

What about quality and length of life?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we'll know when she dies, eh? Might be a fast death, might have a complete life and give birth to the next Albert Einstein - or Dahmer.

We don't know, but what we do know is that if she isn't given a reasonable chance (and of course my "reasonable" will be different from your "reasonable"), it's certain she won't do anything other than be fertilizer.

Quality and length of life aren't up to you, me, or the forum to decide. It's up to that person, and God, in the end.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We can't save everyone, death is part of life.

That gave me a flashback to the Benghazi hearings.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, if you include the donors, it's 4. Little girls almost inevitable, immediate death, or death 10 years down the road makes 5.

If she survives, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she offs herself from survivors guilt if she fully realizes why she's alive.

So according to your impressive mental calculus they murdered the organ donors to obtain the transplanted lungs.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

He's right, she killed two people because her mother cried on TV.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And  kill a  possible responsible tax paying  adult  who would have had  a much greater likelihood of  surviving the procedure.

More likely kill someone who is a smoker and is getting what they deserve.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Someone else loses their chance--actually TWO people lost their chances--because of the media-savvy mother.  There's always more to the story.

When you politicize healthcare, this is what you end up with.
ayup

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding the original quote, but including smith's for posterity

yeah, kids are the future, but where do you draw the line? or do you? would you commit infinite resources to nearly infinite odds against you, when option b is a 50/50 shot and requires finite resources that can be measured?

It's a cold, heartless decision, that should ALMOST be made purely by numbers, but really needs human intervention for reasons of judgement i.e. "This patient has a much better chance at survival, but they're also in a family full of meth addicts...so give it to the other patient who has a slightly worse chance, but lives in relatively sane conditions"

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So according to your impressive mental calculus they murdered the organ donors to obtain the transplanted lungs.

no, the guy I quoted thought the guy he quoted thought that. I was just saying IF that was the case, it would be 4, not 2.  Although, technically, the donor's did have to die, they just weren't murdered for the purpose of being a donor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You?

No answer?

Expected.

Huh?  What does that have to do with your libtard opinions about Wall Street you voiced earlier?  Where did I make a comment about your medical experience?  More importantly -- what gave you the indication that I gave a fuck?  Like I said DU is to the left.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess we'll know when she dies, eh? Might be a fast death, might have a complete life and give birth to the next Albert Einstein - or Dahmer.

We don't know, but what we do know is that if she isn't given a reasonable chance (and of course my "reasonable" will be different from your "reasonable"), it's certain she won't do anything other than be fertilizer.

Quality and length of life aren't up to you, me, or the forum to decide. It's up to that person, and God, in the end.

So the Dr's saying that based on her disease and the chances of the lungs taking don't mean anything?  We do have a pretty good idea based on previous cases how this will play out.  But because she's a child, we throw experience and science to the wind and rely on emotion?  I feel for the kid and I'm with you that a child should be given every opportunity to live they have, but in this situation thats not the case.  A child with a life expectancy of 10 average to crappy years should not trump an adult with the potential for a full life.  Its the sad harsh truth...
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's a counter argument.....the more they can do stuff like this, the more they can learn from trial and error and make it such that transplants like this can have better results.

The problem is the whole injection of government into the sphere of medicine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

He's right, you know.  And while we will never know for sure, that first set of lungs could be keeping someone else alive right now.

Seems to me transplants should be "one time only".  You shouldn't be able to keep getting the same organ transplant time and time again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Of course, but as AK pointed out, that's why there need to be medical professionals who make these kinds of calls, not the media.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the Dr's saying that based on her disease and the chances of the lungs taking don't mean anything?  We do have a pretty good idea based on previous cases how this will play out.  But because she's a child, we throw experience and science to the wind and rely on emotion?  I feel for the kid and I'm with you that a child should be given every opportunity to live they have, but in this situation thats not the case.  A child with a life expectancy of 10 average to crappy years should not trump an adult with the potential for a full life.  Its the sad harsh truth...

No, of course not - the assessment of the professional definitely means something. But I'm also aware that one professional will say something, and another professional will say something 180 degrees in opposition - yet both can be correct. Agreed that the past history does give us a pretty good idea, but I'm approaching this from the viewpoint of a Grandfather. I'd sacrifice myself to give my kids, or grandkids extra time. Life expectancies are nothing more than statistical blocks of data that suggest what will happen, and they're not always correct.  I know what you're saying, but I still have to look at it from the personal standpoint. It's a sad harsh truth agreed, but it would be sadder if the parents just fell back and said "well, that's the way it is then, no use fighting it...".

For our next topic, we'll discuss liver transplants for adult alcoholics.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Got this story beat:

Happened in NC in the early 2000's.

Illegal family shows up in NC from Mexico.
Daughter needs a transplant.
News was full of sob stories about the girl.
Duke University agreed to do the transplant.
Doctor screwed up and didn't cross check the blood types of the girl and the organ.
She got a second transplant, too.
Still died.
Family sued and won a bunch of cash.

And the kicker? Turns out the mother snuck her across the border because she knew indigents weren't turned away in this country. They snuck here specifically for the transplant.

eta: JESICA SANTILLAN
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

He's right, you know.  And while we will never know for sure, that first set of lungs could be keeping someone else alive right now.

Seems to me transplants should be "one time only".  You shouldn't be able to keep getting the same organ transplant time and time again.

Do you have any reason for that stance besides this SNAFU?  If transplants were an actual cure, you might have a valid point.  Transplants are a treatment; a successful one can last for many years.  However, there is always the risk of rejection, which can happen even when the regimen of drugs is strictly followed.

Should someone whose 20-year transplant was just rejected be denied a second just because they already got one?

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

wasn't this the girl who was low on the priority list because of the lower success rate for people that age? And want she bumped up to the top after publicity? No wonder they kept the failure a secret - someone else is going to die because they wasted a pair of lungs to appease the public.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

YES.  2 other people with better chances to adapt to those lungs didn't get them.  Fuck the age doctors have determined can easily adapt to those lungs.   We'll let EMOTIONS rule us.  And so many ARFCOMers were acting like liberals supporting this.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

In her state alone there were 40 people classified as urgent need.  That's not counting nearby states.  40 people who had, statistically, a MUCH. MUCH better chance of adapting to those 2 sets of lungs.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While denying life to 2 other people who happen to be over 12.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

True.

That's why there should be doctors making the call, not the media.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, of course not - the assessment of the professional definitely means something. But I'm also aware that one professional will say something, and another professional will say something 180 degrees in opposition - yet both can be correct. Agreed that the past history does give us a pretty good idea, but I'm approaching this from the viewpoint of a Grandfather. I'd sacrifice myself to give my kids, or grandkids extra time. Life expectancies are nothing more than statistical blocks of data that suggest what will happen, and they're not always correct.  I know what you're saying, but I still have to look at it from the personal standpoint. It's a sad harsh truth agreed, but it would be sadder if the parents just fell back and said "well, that's the way it is then, no use fighting it...".

For our next topic, we'll discuss liver transplants for adult alcoholics.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you, anyone else would act the same.  The parents are not wrong for the way they feel, they should fight tooth and nail.  The problem occurred when government got involved because of an emotional ploy by the mother to the media.  Emotionally, it makes sense.  Rationally it does not.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid threads always bring out the White-Knighting.

Kid anything always brings out political expediency.

Our representatives will do anything, and I mean anything to save their own skins and careers.

How many officials would pull a Johnny Iselin today? I'm guessin 98-99%

This is why they use kids to piggy back gun laws.   But some arfcommers are STILL dumb enough to fall for it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

She had a chance and regretfully it failed, make her comfortable and let nature take its course.

No, that didn't fit the narrative!  Get another set of lungs!

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, that little girl's family used the media to murder two other patients by proxy, and you're supporting their actions.

If I misunderstood your argument, then I believe you misunderstood Jane's which I believe was not that it was ok to murder innocent people for your own benefit, but that it is normal to have those urges when it concerns your loved ones; therefore emotion should have precisely nothing to do with medicine.

BINGO!

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So if I'm reading this article right

Lung transplants are very sketchy and don't have a very high success rate to begin with. [/div][div]

There are rules that say kids are last on the list to get lung transplants (like out of the 1600ish on the list, only 12 or 16 are kids, the numbers make sense to me for this).

This girl's mom lobbied and sued and raised hell to bump her daughter forward of other people on the list. [/div][div]

I don't really know what to say here. I don't know any parent that wouldn't get emotional when their kids are sick, but this wasn't really fair to the thousands of other folks out there.

BUT IT'S A CHILD!!!!!!! /arfcomer

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Politics + medicine = tragedy

Politics+Anything=Tragedy
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

Organ transplants are the use of a commodity in a life and death market.  If a Doctor has to make a decision that is going to equal someone lives/

someone else dies, conscience seems to require that the Doctor make the decision that would give the person chosen to live the longest possible

life, or at least longest chance at life. After all, someone else died to give them life.  These decisions aren't made frivolously without understanding

of the cost.  At least, not until this case.

Yep, they should go to those with the best chance of success and survivability.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.  Click.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You're god damn right I would and I wouldnt apologize for it either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

Hes right, theres reasons why they don't want to do them on patients under 12.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

What's classy about killing people for a girl that isn't going to make 20 anyway?

If she were my kid, I'd kill ALL you fuckers to give her one more day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Someone else loses their chance--actually TWO people lost their chances--because of the media-savvy mother.  There's always more to the story.

When you politicize healthcare, this is what you end up with.

So what you're saying is you were FINE with a "nonpolitical" death panel deciding she dies.  Gotcha.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top