Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2013 5:03:56 PM EDT
In light of recent events, it dawned on me that some here may not have the tools to prepare a proper range card for defensive fighting positions.  It is a good skill to know.  Remember: Knowledge is power!

Preparing a Range Card

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, okay.

I did a google maps satellite view printout with concentric lines every 50 yards on my map and printed it on an 8x10 glossy. It was awesome. That was a while ago living in the ghetto.

I used a laser range finder to do the distances and then overlaid the circles on top using Corel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir.  I've never been in the military, but can see the utility of this immediately.

Now, how to explain this laminated card mounted next to every upstairs window!

Very cool, much appreciated Wingnut.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Meh, okay.

I did a google maps satellite view printout with concentric lines every 50 yards on my map and printed it on an 8x10 glossy. It was awesome. That was a while ago living in the ghetto.

I used a laser range finder to do the distances and then overlaid the circles on top using Corel.

This guy knows what he is doing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
So I have to buy night vision, IR illuminators, body armor, and now you're telling me I
have to have set defensive positions and range cards filled out?

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a laser range finder for a reason. No shots over 150m for me
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I have to buy night vision, IR illuminators, body armor, and now you're telling me I

Why else would you have all that other stuff?  Otherwise you need too many spotting rounds for the mortars.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Meh, okay.

I do something very similar for coyote hunting
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup. Next week you need to buy something else.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why else would you have all that other stuff?  Otherwise you need too many spotting rounds for the mortars.

I just unlocked claymores, and now you tell me I need mortars?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've pretty much done this for every deer stand I have ever erected since I discovered aerial photography 20+ years ago.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, yeah!

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, yeah!

http://webpages.charter.net/angwingnut/Mortar/4.jpg

Bastard. Are you still planning on hunting with that? You're gonna post vid, right?
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, yeah!

Bastard. Are you still planning on hunting with that? You're gonna post vid, right?

Yup.  Just started a build thread for a camera round and a dummy round here in the DD forum
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, yeah!

Yup.  Just started a build thread for a camera round and a dummy round here in the DD forum

Sweet
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump for informative purposes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No job is finished until the paperwork is complete.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No job is finished until the paperwork is complete.

If you've got time to jack your jaws, you've got time to do a damned range card for your defensive fighting position!
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I just pulled up google images and typed "fuck no" and hit enter. You wouldn't beeelliiiiiieeeevee some of the shit that comes up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been looking through the TVA map store and have ordered maps of my entire AO. Folks think i'm weird for having maps posted on the wall of the man cave. Range cards are next.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just pulled up google images and typed "fuck no" and hit enter. You wouldn't beeelliiiiiieeeevee some of the shit that comes up.

Dude.. I can't tell which hole that is.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both, I think...
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both, I think...

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both, I think...

It gets better as you scroll down, too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, okay.

I would like to subscribe to his newsletter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That wasn't nice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, okay.

Most range cards for static positions nowadays are panoramic point-of-view photographs with TRP's marked and ranged with an overlay showing cardinal directions and degrees.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I actually have a powerpoint somewhere that I used to give to Ugandans who were going to be working on DoD static contracts in Iraq. I also had a big whiteboard made up into a blank range card with Sharpie marker, and the guys would have to fill it out with dry erase to reflect whatever POV I gave them. Good times.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't nice.

It was a lot nicer than it could have been.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, okay.

Most range cards for static positions nowadays are panoramic point-of-view photographs with TRP's marked and ranged with an overlay showing cardinal directions and degrees.

Now see, that's a damn fine use of technology.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top