Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/20/2013 2:42:22 PM EDT

Full auto .30 carbine? Good enough to replace the M1 Garand as the main service rifle during the war?

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, no?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope Don't think so.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Two different applications; two different weapon systems

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.  Not enough power in that cartridge for what was needed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Would have replaced all SMGs, handguns and such. Awesome gun with lots of firepower.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
nope.

still a sub gun.

not a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Seems like they were still good enough for nam.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't stop the Norks and the Chinese, did it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
No.  It's better than a rock or sharp stick, but one must be as good as John George and get head shots in to put the enemy down.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
nope.

still a sub gun.

not a battle rifle.
View Quote

AR15 is not a battle rifle
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#14]
In urban warfare, hell yes.

In open fields, desert and mountains, hell no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
If someone shot me with one of those and I ever found out about it, I'd be pissed!
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
No. Because some of us shoot further than 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be because it is a myth. Lots of bad guys get shot with 5.56 and keep on fighting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope.

still a sub gun.

not a battle rifle.

not a fuckin subgun either, hero.........

get a clue.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many norks and chicoms died in that one again?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/M1A1left.jpg

Full auto .30 carbine? Good enough to replace the M1 Garand as the main service rifle during the war?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwk8HMjtjq9ezDncONj8iv52qbPJ5udwp2OO_wCPv4lATpbn1HPw

View Quote

neither of those are M2 Carbines

top is a M1A1
bottom is a M3

and to answer your question no. The mindset up until the 1950s was that the 1000yd capable battle rifle would remain the standard service rifle. Look at how the Army Ordnance viewed the STG-44 and AK initially, to them they were essentially submachine guns and were not taken very seriously
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

DMR Garand/1903 at the squad level. Long range engagements are for Machine guns, mortars and arty.

"During the recent Iraq campaign, US Marine riflemen were interviewed about their experiences by after-action interviewers.

Almost all interviewed stated all firefight engagements conducted with small arms (5.56mm guns) occurred in the twenty to thirty (20-30) meter range. Shots over 100m were rare. The maximum range was less than 300m. Of those interviewed, most sniper shots were taken at distances well under 300m, only one greater than 300m (608m during the day). After talking to the leadership from various sniper platoons and individuals, there was not enough confidence in the optical gear (Simrad or AN/PVS-10) to take a night shot under the given conditions at ranges over 300m. Most Marines agreed they would “push” a max range of 200m only. "

http://donaldmsensing.blogspot.com/2003/06/infantry-rifle-combat-distances.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I forgot to press the sarcastic smiley button.  

Relevant Link -- Thanks O_P
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

top is a M1A1
bottom is a M3

I know, couldnt find any decent pics of a M2.

and to answer your question no. The mindset up until the 1950s was that the 1000yd capable battle rifle would remain the standard service rifle. Look at how the Army Ordnance viewed the STG-44 and AK initially, to them they were essentially submachine guns and were not taken very seriously

I know what the mindset was, but that was not the question

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwk8HMjtjq9ezDncONj8iv52qbPJ5udwp2OO_wCPv4lATpbn1HPw

top is a M1A1
bottom is a M3

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
As much as I love the M1 Carbine... no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

DMR Garand/1903 at the squad level. Long range engagements are for Machine guns, mortars and arty.

"During the recent Iraq campaign, US Marine riflemen were interviewed about their experiences by after-action interviewers.

Almost all interviewed stated all firefight engagements conducted with small arms (5.56mm guns) occurred in the twenty to thirty (20-30) meter range. Shots over 100m were rare. The maximum range was less than 300m. Of those interviewed, most sniper shots were taken at distances well under 300m, only one greater than 300m (608m during the day). After talking to the leadership from various sniper platoons and individuals, there was not enough confidence in the optical gear (Simrad or AN/PVS-10) to take a night shot under the given conditions at ranges over 300m. Most Marines agreed they would “push” a max range of 200m only. "

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then it changed in afghanistan? and it will change again in the next conflict?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I think so.  I know which one I would rather have carried.

My grandfather had the choice and carried the carbine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#28]

On my father's first tour, he carried one.  He hated it, said it was the jammingest piece of shit he ever had to use.  Went to carrying a M-14 from the arms room when he did go on patrols (Radio Operator).
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

top is a M1A1
bottom is a M3

then no due to insufficient power and range
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
An M2 carbine would of been an awesome main battle rifle for me. Cause as an ET in the Navy working on land based radio transmitters. I would not really need anything else to shoot the rats over by the dumpsters
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
neck it down to a .224 dia projo and maybe stretch the service life of the weapon system is about all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
It's interesting that SF used the M1Carbine extensively as a primary shoulder-fire weapon before the AR15 came along in the early 1960's.

There's video of Larry Thorne's SF ODA in 10th SFG conducting a raid that was filmed for training purposes, and everyone was carrying a carbine from what I remember, except maybe someone with a belt-fed system.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That would be because it is a myth. Lots of bad guys get shot with 5.56 and keep on fighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M1 Carbine with standard military ball ammo was almost, but not quite, one of the original assault rifles. The round was too pistol-like to make the grade.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

On my father's first tour, he carried one.  He hated it, said it was the jammingest piece of shit he ever had to use.  Went to carrying a M-14 from the arms room when he did go on patrols (Radio Operator).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

probably a shot to shit gun by that point. Just like all the negative opinions of the 1911 in during nam and later.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I bet I can hit/do anything I can do with an M4 with that M1 carbine, fixed stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Not no.

But FUCK NO
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Good rifle but no way.
Different weapon for a different purpose.
I have a few Garands and an M1 Carbine so I do know a bit about them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Full auto .30 carbine? Good enough to replace the M1 Garand 1911 as the main service rifle officer's sidearm during the war?

View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Seems like they were still good enough for nam.
View Quote

Okay, this one made my dick move, no homo. Where does one purchase an M1 Carbine cut down pistol? Anyone know if that is FA?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

top is a M1A1
bottom is a M3

How much range do you need? Average infantry was not killing krauts at 1000 yards.  MG were used for suppression and maneuver. Outside MG range you used arty.

If it was a completely inferior weapon then it would not have been the most produced weapon of the war.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

No and the full auto version was called the M2 Carbine
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#42]

I want to believe that that photo was staged for the camera, perhaps by a REMF.

I served with Combat vets from that era, and I seriously doubt they would have stepped foot outside the wire with all that bling.

They damn sure wouldn't let ME go out like that, even for training. They woulda been all up in the young privates ass.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good rifle but no way.
Different weapon for a different purpose.
I have a few Garands and an M1 Carbine so I do know a bit about them.
View Quote

I do as well. This is a thought experiment considering what we have learned since that time about smaller calibers being preferable and infantry ranges mostly being very short.

Full auto .30 carbine from a .30 round mag would have been quite effective during the invasion of france. The germans were still mostly armed with K98s.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Could replace another close quarter rifle like the PPS
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know the full auto was called the M2, that is why it was in the thread title.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How much range do you need? Average infantry was not killing krauts at 1000 yards.  MG were used for suppression and maneuver. Outside MG range you used arty.

If it was a completely inferior weapon then it would not have been the most produced weapon of the war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

top is a M1A1
bottom is a M3

I'd say out to about 300-350yds, the Carbine doesn't quite give that.

It was far from being inferior, for what it was---something to arm cooks, drivers, mechanics, rear echelon, non Infantry types, it was great weapon and a testament to what American manufacturing could do
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I like my M-1 carbine for a fun range toy and as a collector piece, but I wouldn't want to trust my life to it. Mine is finicky about mags.

It doesn't compare to any newer assault rifle.

I guess compared to the Garand it's a good bit lighter, and the detachable magazines are a big plus. I wouldn't want to have to carry a Garand all over Europe or the Jungle, it's one heavy sumbitch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I Combat vets from that era, and I seriously doubt they would have stepped foot outside the wire with all that bling.

They damn sure wouldn't let ME go out like that, even for training. They woulda been all up in the young privates ass.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I Combat vets from that era, and I seriously doubt they would have stepped foot outside the wire with all that bling.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I carried a captured one my buddy killed a VC to get....gave it up and went back to the M-16 due to drawing friendly fire from an M-60
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top