User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

Pretty much every rifle, optic, mount and sight in my safe is now SELF-LUBRICATING!!!!!!!!!

Off to threadlock the wife....

ETA: If I'm not back in 20 minutes, call a gunsmith.
View Quote

That's some funny shit right there.  Let us know if it works so we can start a run on threat locker.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If there is one thing I have learned in my 40+ years.....

Anything made by Loc-Tite FUCKING WORKS like advertised. When I really need or want the best adhesive for the job, I buy Loc-Tite brand.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
FANTASTIC!!!!

Pretty much every rifle, optic, mount and sight in my safe is now SELF-LUBRICATING!!!!!!!!!

Off to threadlock the wife....

ETA: If I'm not back in 20 minutes, call a gunsmith.
View Quote

Well, happy threadlocking then.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Guy who said that works behind the counter at a gun store. No more comments needed
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, just wow.  Get a new gunsmith.  I wouldn't want that guy touching any of my guns.  I wouldn't even want to know or find out what other idiotic notions he holds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Having worked at a gun shop as the gun fixer.aka gunsmith, I can say without reservation that that idiot doesn't know what he is talking about.
Loctite does what is it designed to do. Lock threads.
Did I say the guy is an idiot?
Find another gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That doesn't even make sense.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I may have not been clear the "gunsmith" only helps us on the sales floor, he is not an in house gunsmith. And I'm the guy behind the counter so.....Everyone RUN! When he said it "tuned into lubricant" I was like . But I didn't want to be ass and tell him he is a moron, my thought are pretty consistent with most posts.  But trust me I will never be going to him for any help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope not  I blue lock-tight everything.  I mean everything.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What should have been a red warning flag flying in your face was you were in the Local Gun Shop.  The guy telling you this BS was probably a jerky selling SEAL.
View Quote

Comprehension Cat sez:  He works there
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Guy sounds like a bright one, don't believe everything you hear
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
He is full of shit
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was mounting a scope at the LGS and a gunsmith that helps us on big sales came into the store. He saw me putting blue threadlocker on the scope rings and told me I shouldn't do that. He said over time the threadlocker will break down and turn into lubricant and the screws will work loose. Any truth to this or is he just, "I'm older and know better than you boy"?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Congrats, you met a retard
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]

So what does he suggest… silver solder?

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Just follow the specs of who ever made the rings and not worry about what some knobhead has to say about it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I lubed my bolt and entire BCG with red Loctite yesterday, after reading this thread.   I chambered a round when I put it back together.  I took it out this morning to shoot it and heat up the Loctite. I fired the round in the chamber but the bolt did not come back.  I tried mortaring it but it won't move.  What do I do now?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Obviously needz moar...

Try soaking it in a vat of purple overnight?  Careful, though, if you mix red and blue to get the purple the sonuvabitch might slip thru the space time continuum and kill future you.  Or maybe past you.  

Could also kill present you, then get away with it.

What with being slippery, and all...

I'm replacing my motor oil with red loctite as we speak.  I expect great things...
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#20]
That's why he's gunsmith. And not a chemical engineer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I lubed my bolt and entire BCG with red Loctite yesterday, after reading this thread.   I chambered a round when I put it back together.  I took it out this morning to shoot it and heat up the Loctite. I fired the round in the chamber but the bolt did not come back.  I tried mortaring it but it won't move.  What do I do now?
View Quote

You know the AR likes to be run really wet right?  One small tube of red locktite isn't going to be enough to properly lube that rifle if its new, you need at least two.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I read the thread title and thought to myself..."moderators must be tired of going in dry".  
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#23]
If he was using loctite 87 it will. google it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#24]
The LIQUID LocTite will act as lubricant on the threads you put them on when it is still wet, thus lowering the coefficient of friction and ultimately raising the torque you apply to the bolt.

Doing this means you may end up over torquing bolts.

Your choice.

I've never heard of the other thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#25]
He's right, and it's also true of the aluminum and/or steel that the scope and rings are made of.  Apply enough heat and they'll turn to liquid.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Wait.  Whut?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
..it will be a bitch to get the thread locker off...

for scopes I recommend the weaker version "purple" thread locker...

blue is not that bad

Red needs heat

but purple works..

leave the green alone...

and I have never had it "Turn to lubrication"

<----- Professional gunsmith not a chemist..
View Quote

Purple is awesome for small screws.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The LIQUID LocTite will act as lubricant on the threads you put them on when it is still wet, thus lowering the coefficient of friction and ultimately raising the torque you apply to the bolt
raising the amount of pre-load applied to the bolt

Doing this means you may end up over torquing bolts stretch the bolt beyond its yield point.

View Quote

FIFY.

Proper torque specs are specified both the amount of torque and what lubricant (or dry ) is to be used. (actually there several other better ways to specify this).

You are correct that lubing a bolt and then using "dry" torque specs would be bad because you could over stretch the bolt.

But understand what we are trying to achieve is NOT TORQUE.  What we are trying to achieve is pre-load.  A bolt

is basically a heavy duty rubber band - the more you stretch it without over-stretching it the better it will hold.

The reason dry torque specs suck is the large majority of the torque on the bolt is used to overcome friction,

and we end up with an unknown amount of pre-load because the friction can vary from bolt to bolt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Caliper bracket bolts usually have thread locker painted on.  Calipers can exceed 700*F and the loctite stays where it is and does it's job.  I say they old guy you described in the OP is a ra-tard.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hope not  I blue lock-tight everything.  I mean everything.
View Quote

Did you locktight a man eating his own head?

Then you haven't locktighted everything, Gary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#31]
i have personally heated green threadlocker to failure.  it turns to a white powder, and NOT to a liquid or a lubricant.  oh and it required 600 degrees to do it.  

guy was as full of shit as a haggis.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

FIFY.

Proper torque specs are specified both the amount of torque and what lubricant (or dry ) is to be used. (actually there several other better ways to specify this).

You are correct that lubing a bolt and then using "dry" torque specs would be bad because you could over stretch the bolt.

But understand what we are trying to achieve is NOT TORQUE.  What we are trying to achieve is pre-load.  A bolt

is basically a heavy duty rubber band - the more you stretch it without over-stretching it the better it will hold.

The reason dry torque specs suck is the large majority of the torque on the bolt is used to overcome friction,

and we end up with an unknown amount of pre-load because the friction can vary from bolt to bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The LIQUID LocTite will act as lubricant on the threads you put them on when it is still wet, thus lowering the coefficient of friction and ultimately raising the torque you apply to the bolt
raising the amount of pre-load applied to the bolt

Doing this means you may end up over torquing bolts stretch the bolt beyond its yield point.

FIFY.

Thank you for the corrections.  I knew it was wrong, but didn't know how else to say it at the moment.  Thank you!

And I call myself an engineer.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That being said, if your scope rings are getting hot enough to melt loctite,you're doing it wrong.
View Quote

Or it'll make an epic video well worth seeing!

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you for the corrections.  I knew it was wrong, but didn't know how else to say it at the moment.  Thank you!

And I call myself an engineer.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#35]

I suppose if the threadlocker melts then it would make it easier to loosen something than if you had never used the threadlocker at all on it. So in essence one could say it lubricates.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If there is one thing I have learned in my 40+ years.....

Anything made by Loc-Tite FUCKING WORKS like advertised. When I really need or want the best adhesive for the job, I buy Loc-Tite brand.
View Quote

This made me laugh but it is true
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What should have been a red warning flag flying in your face was you were in the Local Gun Shop.  The guy telling you this BS was probably a jerky selling SEAL.

Sorry had a bit to much of the grape so yes my comprehension was
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Be a man, use loctite 660!
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I use a lot of blue threadlocker.

I highly doubt it.

I've removed things that were loctitied for years and the residue is always dry and crystalline in appearance.
View Quote
+1

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top