Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/5/2013 5:49:05 PM EDT
Was one or the other really just over-gunned?

Which one had the most firepower?

Which was biggest?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The Iowa class had better fire control ,first class armor, and the 16 inch guns could penetrate the armor on either of the other 2 ships listed.  I would take a Iowa class any day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Iowa class wins /thread.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Without digging out my book on WW II battleships, didn't the Yamato have 18-inch guns?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Iowa class wins /thread.
View Quote

Yep. Not even really that close.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Two of those three were sunk.  I'll take the one FLOATING in Pearl Harbor...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Iowa class.  The Iowa class was laid down later and had the benefit of better advancements over the Bismarck...especially in radar.  Not even going to mention the Japanese ship.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Japanese ship - excessive size, cool points for biggest
German ship - mediocre but lots of 88 love
American ship - dominant alpha
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Without digging out my book on WW II battleships, didn't the Yamato have 18-inch guns?
View Quote

46cm=18.1"

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iirc not th greatest ap ammo, accuracy/fire control or velocity though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Obviously the Yamato, because it flies through space and shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea but if i nailed ya with 16 inches do you think you'd really notice it wasn't 18 inches
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Whoever got the first solid hit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Fire control on the Destroyer was very accurate. "Last stand of the Tin Can Sailors" fire control officer telling how he was able to pepper
the super structure of Japanese cruisers with 5" shells. DE Skipper jogged back and forth dodging cruisers shells for the longest time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The BISMARCK (not Bizmark) let old slow Swordfish torpedo planes disable it's rudder.

The guns could not traverse SLOW enough for those old things.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yamato, Battleship.  Displacement:  73k tons.  18 inch primaries.  27 knots.

Missouri, Battleship (Iowa class).  Displacement: 57k tons.  16 inch primaries.  31 knots.

Bismark, Battleship (AKA Pocket Battleship).  Displacement:  50k tons.  15 inch primaries.  30 knots.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Iowa class had better fire control ,first class armor, and the 16 inch guns could penetrate the armor on either of the other 2 ships listed.  I would take a Iowa class any day.
View Quote

I think the Bismark may have had the edge in 41

Iowa wasn't launched until  27 August 1942

yamamoato was the biggest and heaviest witth the biggest guns but was primitive compared to the other two.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fire control on the Destroyer was very accurate. "Last stand of the Tin Can Sailors" fire control officer telling how he was able to pepper
the super structure of Japanese cruisers with 5" shells. DE Skipper jogged back and forth dodging cruisers shells for the longest time.
View Quote

And this is related to the three battleships in question how?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Iowa class  for sure.

Its armor was proof against ALL other guns.   Yes, even against the 18" guns of the Yamato.

But,  the Mk VII 16" 50 caliber guns of the Iowa class were also equally able to defeat even the heaviest armor on

the Yamato or Bismarck.  

The Yamato front turret armor was 26" thick and in post-war testing,  the MK VII rounds ripped through it like cardboard.

No other armor could withstand the Iowa class big guns.

No other guns could defeat the Iowa class armor.

Iowa class wins,  hands down,  not even close.
CJ

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]

HQuoted:

http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/images/title.jpg

Obviously the Yamato, because it flies through space and shit.

View Quote
I used to love that series, unfortunately it would air right before I would start elementary or jr high and couldn't finish watching an episode.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
ding

btw the Japs had some pretty damn good capabilities with targeting & fire control, they kicked our asses in Iron Bottom Sound
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Overall the Iowa.

The yamatos guns were actually capable of penetrating more armor than the Iowa. A chunk of armor that was a shipyard spare from the yamato class ships was found after the war. The 16/50 popped right through it, it was sub par armor.

The Bismarck and tirpitz were bad ass battle wagons and well engineered but the tech on the Iowa wins every time
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Yamato front turret armor was 24" thick and in post-war testing,  the MK VII rounds ripped through it like cardboard.

CJ
View Quote

I don't disagree at all, but how did they test it given that Yamato was at the bottom of the sea?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
The Bismarck and Tirpitz along with the u boats almost brought down the The Royal Navy. The other two ships mentioned in this thread didn't nearly do as much damage to any other fleet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all had Advanced Fire Control, Look it up.
Japanese  were using dyed projectiles and human spotters.

ETA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_I_Fire_Control_Computer
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't disagree at all, but how did they test it given that Yamato was at the bottom of the sea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Yamato front turret armor was 24" thick and in post-war testing,  the MK VII rounds ripped through it like cardboard.

CJ

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/USNavyMuseum/OtherExhibits/pages/32Yamato26InchArmorPlate.htm
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

They got some of the armor plating from the turret that was to go on IJN Shinano.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
ding  

btw the Japs had some pretty damn good capabilities with targeting & fire control, they kicked our asses in Iron Bottom Sound
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ding  

Until the Chin Lee arrived on the scene and trained the USN how to use RADAR.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

Simple.  They did the tests on parts of the incomplete sister ship of the Yamato.   Same design,  but the war was over before the ship was completed.

Google "Navy Yamato armor test" and you'll find the article quickly.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Bismarck and Tirpitz along with the u boats almost brought down the The Royal Navy. The other two ships mentioned in this thread didn't nearly do as much damage to any other fleet.
View Quote

Well if they had built another 100 subs instead of useless battleships they might have actually brought down the Royal Navy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They did the tests on parts of the incomplete sister ship of the Yamato.   Same design,  but the war was over before the ship was completed.

View Quote

Shinano, the third ship of the Yamato-class was completed, as an aircraft carrier. That's the reason they had turret armor to test, because it was unused.

The Shinano joined her sisters at the bottom of the sea, sunk by a submarine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know - the 18" guns on the Yamato were really something.  She was sunk because the IJN didn't have the fuel to keep her going - so she was used as a decoy and sunk.

Gun to gun against an Iowa ?

3000 lb shells with a 25 mile range.  owee.  From what I just read the shells fusing had too long a delay and the shells tended to pass through before they detonated.  With all the armor of an Iowa, have to wonder if the shells would have worked.  speed Yamato 27 knots, Iowas 31 knots - so the Iowas have a 4 knot advantage.

Glad we never had to try it.

Yamato was sunk by at least 5 1000 lb bombs and 10 torpedoes, so if an Iowa could get in and get hits without taking many of the main gun hits from the Yamato the Iowa could win the day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Iowa class was the pinnacle of BB's. Superior fire control with a well-trained crew would put a world of hurt, especially at night. Look no further than the battle of Surigao Strait in the Pacific to see a picture of how lop-sided that engagement would be for an Iowa class. At Surigao, the Yamashiro was taken out in just minutes by combined, accurate fire from RA Jesse Oldendorf's task force. The Iowa's improved greatly on fire-control, firepower and maneuverability; it wouldn't be close and at night neither the Yam or Bismarck would know what hit them.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  See HMS Hood for details.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]
This link came up the last time this question was asked.  I'm not enough of a naval buff to say how accurate any of it is, but it seems like a fairly in-depth consideration of the ships.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yamato, Battleship.  Displacement:  73k tons.  18 inch primaries.  27 knots.

http://battleshiplist.com/battleships/japan/yamato/images/001-battleship-yamato.jpg

Missouri, Battleship (Iowa class).  Displacement: 57k tons.  16 inch primaries.  31 knots.

http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/images/oahu/attractions/uss-missouri-02-usnavy-400x302.jpg

Bismark, Battleship (AKA Pocket Battleship).  Displacement:  50k tons.  15 inch primaries.  30 knots.

http://www.warcovers.dk/greenland/bismarck_pic.jpg
View Quote

I think the GRAF Spee and her two sister ships were pocket battleships ( large gun cruisers- six 11"ers.)
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#38]
The Bismarck wasn't a pocket battleship, it was a full size.

The pocket battleships (a la Graff Spee) were heavy cruisers.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still no link.  The thread is about BBs, not DDs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They got some of the armor plating from the turret that was to go on IJN Shinano.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

Cool.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and since Bismark sank her with only 3 salvos, Bismark had some pretty damn good fire control, especially considering it was her very first action. Still, I think Iowa could knock Bismark's dick in the dirt sea.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Missouri's fire control and radar would give it the edge.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fire control computer was the same. Thus, it is relevant.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#44]
At work we have the majority of the Navy Models from the shipyards when they were commisioned.

Nothing drops my jaw like BB-63. That ship had so many guns and such big balls, that's its amazing it could float. Wish we would have kept a few around for cheap littoral Fire Support.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep, and since Bismark sank her with only 3 salvos, Bismark had some pretty damn good fire control, especially considering it was her very first action. Still, I think Iowa could knock Bismark's dick in the dirt sea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HMS Hood was a battle cruiser, not a battleship. Not only that Hood was due for a refit that would have added armor, but that refit was not conducted due to wartime requirements.

Not a good historical comparison. Prince of Wales, the ship accompanying the Hood and a proper battleship, sustained several hits and kept fighting. Hell, the USS Johnston, a destroyer, took several cruiser and BB hits and kept fighting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, the Bismarck, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Graf Spee, the U-boats, etc were deployed as commerce raiders.

They sank a lot of Allied shipping, but other than the Hood, I can't recall any of them actually doing a lot of damage to the Royal Navy itself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hood had almost no protection from a plunging shell.

All 3 of the ones mentioned were much more heavily armored.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#48]
These threads are so stupid. As long ago as in the middle of WWII, there was no question that a single South Dakota class battleship could easily sink the Tirpitz, with no appreciable risk of harm to the US BB. That's why a single SD class battleship was sent to lure the Tirpitz into a one on one fight, but the Nazi pussies knew better. The planners knew the SD would sink the Tirpitz from beyond the effective range of her guns. The Ship involved was whichever SD class ship served with the British fleet --either the Massachusetts or the Alabama. I don't remember.  Look it up.

American battleships were the best of their generation, from the Nevadas forward. They were slower, as if that matters, but otherwise were better in every respect. Better guns, better armor, better fire control, and better damage control.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  Cruisers, even tenders, had the same fire control system.  No relevance in a thread about BBs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember reading about the mechanical computers used in the fire control systems of the BBs.

Really impressive analog computing technology. SMART people built that!

I don't know if we have anybody left who would have the knowhow to build equally good analog computer mechanisms today,

or even someone who would know how to design such a thing.

It might be a lost art.  But then again, it IS EMP-proof so perhaps it's not completely useless tech.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top