BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still don't understand. If it's a bad habit to "chase the numbers" instead of just looking out the window to see what's going on (as a VFR pilot, anyway), doesn't this apply to steam gauges as well?  

There's a gap here, somewhere.

Do glass displays show information that steam gauges do not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can somebody tell me why having an electronic representation of an attitude indicator, altimeter, etc differs from their analog counterparts? Do they not behave identically?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Why would a pilot care?

When I flew a plane for the first time, it was after being addicted to flight sims for 10 years. The only difference I noticed was that things like the attitude indicator were more "fluid" in movement.

I know I'm missing something, or am otherwise not on the same page as everyone else.

For some folks it's the scan. The method you look at the instruments. Steam gauges are basic enough though, that you have to look outside the plane. The setup to the glass cockpits can be so efficient and effective at displaying info that it's like flying a sim itself. Looking outside the plane is vital. It gives you proper perspective.

The other issue is you need to know how to do real piloting with all your information. What can give trouble to someone spending too much time with their head in the cockpit is chasing the numbers. Something goes hinky and they immediately lock onto the reading they want to correct. Especially as a new pilot, you need to rely on all your information, including what you see out of the windows. Learning to fly by instruments comes later or not at all. It is a specialized skill set that you don't just figure out on your own in a VFR aircraft.

Other writers can explain it better than me, but it's really something that you would need to experience. It's kind of analogous to training on a rifle. A very good way to learn is to start young with a single shot .22. If you give someone an AR and a mag and tell them to blaze away, they won't learn marksmanship nearly as quickly.
I still don't understand. If it's a bad habit to "chase the numbers" instead of just looking out the window to see what's going on (as a VFR pilot, anyway), doesn't this apply to steam gauges as well?  

When you fly instruments you music scan each one, they all have to jibe. In an emergency like a vacuum failure you can fly the aircraft using the compass, the ball, the airspeed indicator and the altimeter if you had to, you will feel sick to your stomach because you are no longer seat of the pants and after 10 minutes you will be drenched in sweat, but once you fight the feeling and trust the instruments that work you will survive. I imagine an electrical failure you have to revert to gauges. My first few hours I was fixated with all the instruments that my instructor covered them all and made me fly by feel in VFR. Later on flying  under the hood it was learning small corrections and smoothness, maintaining a more precise heading and altitude using the instruments. I can only imagine the glass cockpit as being more accurate and faster
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are my 2 cents:

If possible and you're motivated enough, start flying in gliders. Yes, you read that right, gliders. Most glider pilots have better stick & rudder skills compared to most power only pilots. Not all but definitely most. That's at least true for the hundreds+ of guys and gals I've flown with over the decades.

Next get into an aircraft with steam gauges. Why? Transitioning will be a piece of cake flying wise. Flying an aircraft will appear easy to you compared to a glider. So you can focus on the engine and a few more systems.

If you plan on getting an IFR rating I'd recommend doing that in a steam gauge aircraft as well. Why? Because the backup instruments in modern cockpits are usually steam gauge type instruments. That's not true for every avionics installation but the vast majority is equipped/certified like that.

Then transition to glass if you wish.

There are quite a few 'professional' aviators these days that have sweat breaking out just because their PFD and MFD failed in the Sim and they have to rely on shooting an approach on a few old fashioned backup instruments. Don't be one of them.

Extra bonus: learning to fly that way is usually cheaper as well.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Steam gauges will make you a better pilot.  Better situational awareness.  I get countless copilots now that, when I cover the GPS display, cannot tell me where we are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Learn on the old equipment.learn how to pilot a plane.too many today rely on modern instuments.I always tought it was a lot more rewarding to fly by map.
View Quote

This.

Be able to operate at the lowest (reasonable) technological level.  

This idea applies to ALL endeavors that involve machines.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A neighbor who was an airline pilot told me "find the cheapest time you can and fly as much as you can" when I was about to start on the road to a commercial multi rating.
View Quote

Who sees the flaw in that advice?
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Who sees the flaw in that advise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A neighbor who was an airline pilot told me "find the cheapest time you can and fly as much as you can" when I was about to start on the road to a commercial multi rating.

Who sees the flaw in that advise?

Starting down a road to commercial aviation.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The glass cockpits to some peoples thinking, are too good. They are so easy to use that it's easy to rely on them too much. They are a beautiful GUI for the sky. Now you can very easily rely too much on the instruments and get your head in the cockpit with steam gauges. Some say it's worse with glass cockpits.

I think I may have given the impression that was my opinion too. I think if glass has that effect at all, it's minimal. Just as long as you learn a regulated scan that includes looking outside. I do think it is good to learn both steam and glass though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid, but I don't think I can afford it.
View Quote

Last quote I got was $8,000 for private pilot (not sport pilot) FAA license.  That was for wet time, instructor time, ground school and simulator.  Katana low wing two seater with modern inst.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Flash lights arn't connected to the electrical system.

Just saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of choosing between two schools and need some advice.  One school is really close driving distance and has all new planes with glass instruments, this school is more expensive by $10 for instructor and $15 for plane rental) .  The second school has some planes with glass instruments and some with standard gages, this school is further away but slightly cheaper.  It has been suggested by a friend of mine that flies that I should first learn on the older gauges before going to the LCD screens.  What do you guys think?

I learned on steam gauges. When I bought my plane I stuck a WAAS 530 and a 430 in the thing and desperately wished I had enough money to go all glass.

Steam is OK, but compared to glass it's like comparing a 1979 Corvette to a 2013. Yeah, they both work, but one is science fucking fiction and easier to use and more reliable due to redundancy. Besides, in a glass cockpit there will usually be a small steam cluster just in case.

When my electrical system failed totally over Bleckly, WV in 2008, the steam didn't work either because I couldn't see them. Sometimes, at 2AM, you just have to aviate, and navigation and communication aren't in the picture.

Go learn on glass. It is more fun and less stress.

Flash lights arn't connected to the electrical system.

Just saying.

Always one in my flight bag with extra batteries.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wasn't confident with the instructor on the intro flight lesson today.  How do I tactfully schedule with another, more experienced instructor?
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about tact. It's your money and your neck. If you get another instructor that you can't jell with, check out the other school. I remember doing an intro ride years ago with an instructor who was not only more interested in showing me how shit hot he was at flying than instructing, he seemed to be trying to scare the shit out of me with some antics. He succeeded. That actually put me off of flying for several years.

Jelling with an instructor doesn't mean you have to like them, but it does mean someone who's competent, listens to and answers your questions, and who it matters to that you actually learn. One that you can foster a teacher/student relationship.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Last quote I got was $8,000 for private pilot (not sport pilot) FAA license.  That was for wet time, instructor time, ground school and simulator.  Katana low wing two seater with modern inst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy cow! It cost me 3000 in a 172 wet to get my ticket....in 1994
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about tact. It's your money and your neck. If you get another instructor that you can't jell with, check out the other school. I remember doing an intro ride years ago with an instructor who was not only more interested in showing me how shit hot he was at flying than instructing, he seemed to be trying to scare the shit out of me with some antics. He succeeded. That actually put me off of flying for several years.

Jelling with an instructor doesn't mean you have to like them, but it does mean someone who's competent, listens to and answers your questions, and who it matters to that you actually learn. One that you can foster a teacher/student relationship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't confident with the instructor on the intro flight lesson today.  How do I tactfully schedule with another, more experienced instructor?

Yup I just called the school.  They are trying to get me in with a guy that flies commercial jets for a living and has had a passion for instructing for 40 years, he's also qualified for helicopters.  So this guy sounds very serious about flying and sounds like someone I can learn a lot from.  I just said I am looking for someone that has been instructing for a long time and also is instrument certified.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost me $5000 in 2000.  Solo'd at 16 hours IIRC.  

Looked into getting back into it, and buying a share in a plane, or one outright.  Decided against it mainly due to time constraints.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#14]
BTW, I highly recommend this book:
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Time to throw some harsh reality into this thread.  It's for your own good.

<-----former VFR pilot.

My first concern would be the predominate weather at either school.  

I went to Northern Michigan University in Marquette. The old airport was about 10 miles from the shore of Lake Superior.  I can't tell you how many times my flight time was cancelled because weather did not meet VFR requirements.  You can't even practice touch & go's if the airport is socked in.

Second concern is how many students are using the aircraft.  A high number of students per aircraft and flight instructors can mean you don't get to schedule enough time in the air.

Two other things also destroyed my opportunity to get time in the air.  One of the other students - obnoxious spoiled rich kid ridin' daddy's money - ground looped one of the Cessnas into a snowbank and took it out of commission for months. This kid didn't bother showing up for any other classes, he'd just schedule hours and hours of time - to the exclusion of the other students.  The worthless little fuck would block 3hrs a day on the schedule and be a no show OFTEN.  The other thing was when a flight instructor quit teaching mid semester and went to work full time for the FAA as an air traffic controller.

Third - MONEY.  Flight time costs A LOT OF MONEY.  You will want to have a big pile of MONEY to keep proficient.

Forth - there will be bunch of former armed forces pilots leaving the service and entering the commercial market.  Most have thick log books and years of experience.  If your goal is to fly professionally, that is who you will be competing with.
All that said - if you enjoy flying, pursue it with unrelenting passion and learn every aspect of being a good and SAFE pilot.  After all, you may only get one chance to crash land.

Link Posted: 8/11/2013 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Forth - there will be bunch of former armed forces pilots leaving the service and entering the commercial market.  Most have thick log books and years of experience.  If your goal is to fly professionally, that is who you will be competing with.
Hang it up because the 1500 hour rule will create a rift in the pilot time continuum.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2013 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cheaper

As far a glass vs analog it doesn't matter as it will still have analog DG, T&B, RoC, Compass. Your education on VOR may be a bit spotty but who gives a shit, I haven't used a VOR in 15 years.

OH BTW most flight instructors are young aspiring ATP trying to build hours. instruction is NOT what they want to be doing with their time. Try to ask around and find a guy that actually likes dual instruction and has some time doing it. My first instructor had 10k hours in the right seat; he was very good. Also it is against the rules to do spins and stalls; you should learn this. Some guys will bend the rules if they are good and know you wont fuck them up.
View Quote

I went through 3 instructors during my private instruction. They kept getting hired by airlines, which is great for them, but I had to do some lessons over getting up to speed with a different instructor. That cost me money. My first instructor was a nice young gal but she would not teach me the stall/spin moves. I mentioned this to the guy giving me a progress check. He just shook his head. My progress check went very long that day as we went to the practice area and did spin/stalls until I was tired. His thought, and mine was that it would be criminal not to teach me something that could very easily save my life. He ended up being my second instructor and took me until I was almost ready to take the FAA ride.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok, the truth is, it doesn't matter, Much.  

Biggest factor:  how rich are you?    I assume you meant 25 more per hour?      Personally, I would lean toward the cheaper option, but what are your plans after you get the pvt ticket?

Buying a plane?

Renting?  

More ratings?

If money isn't a factor, go with the option that is more convenient for you.   You should be flying at least 2-3 days a week.

You need to put in the work to be as prepared as you possibly can be.   If the instructor introduces a concept, emergency landing, etc, memorize it before the next flight.    Ask about it here.   Don't expect to be spoon fed.   Thats an expensive way to go.    Also, don't do it at all if you need to agonize over every dollar.   It's an art and a science, and what matters is your aptitude.   Could take 60 hrs, could take 600.    Don't do it at all if you can't laugh off an extra ten grand here or there.    

Most important thing is find an instructor who is good, and finish quickly.  

The Majors will be hiring, and that creates vacancies all throughout the industry.  those instructors will be moving on to the first multi engine job they can find.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was paying $26 an hour (wet) for a 150, and $8 an hour for the instructor (I was told the instructor got all of the $8).

I was going to college, and flying was getting harder and harder to pay for.  But the biggest problem was that I was young and stupid, and filled out the medical history completely truthfully.  The doctor asked what my heart condition was, and I explained my childhood condition, how long ago I had been discharged, that my "treatment" had been nothing but monitoring my condition until I 'grew out of it', and what the doctors at Vanderbilt had said when they discharged me.  The doctor said he wished I hadn't checked that box, wrote something on the form, and then did the medical exam.  I soloed a week or two after the medical exam, then got the letter asking for my medical records...

Decades later, my logbook still says I have a total of 25 hours.  My current job doesn't involve any flying for me, but from 1999 to 2010 I had a job that eventually resulted in some right seat time in Barons and King Air 200's, and some left seat time (with somebody in the right seat) in 172's.

If I lived closer to Chattanooga, I'd probably build an ultralight glider and fly really cheap.

Basic Ultralight Glider
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
What do you guys think about learning on a Cessna 162 with glass gauges?  I flew it today for an intro lesson and thought it was pretty nice.  Downside is that is has glass instead of the old gauges and the upside is that it is about $48 less per hour.  This would be at the school closer to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Glass Vs. Steam. In the true Arfcom tradition get both.

" />

I missed a chance to buy a Cessna 150 for $8000. It's was an ugly airplane but flew well. I had 20 hours in it before it broke down. It sat for a couple of years before being fixed. I wish someone had told me it was for sale I would have loved to have it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What do you guys think about learning on a Cessna 162 with glass gauges?  I flew it today for an intro lesson and thought it was pretty nice.  Downside is that is has glass instead of the old gauges and the upside is that it is about $48 less per hour.  This would be at the school closer to me.
View Quote

That'll work, if you have a good instructor.    The price is right,
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:24:34 AM EDT
[#23]
We have an Aviation forum here, stop by sometime! And learn on the steam gauges. Especially if you're not going to fly for a living and aren't rich, because if you buy an aircraft most likely that's what it'll have.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got lots of time as an instructor and loved it so here are my suggestions.

1: Fancy panels are not your friend. You'll spend thousands more over the course of your training if you start on glass. Transitioning students to glass is much easier than transitioning from glass. Hell, I don't let private students even use a GPS until their long cross countries.

2: If your instructor won't teach you spins then find a new one.

3: Study a chapter a week and nail it down so that you don't waste your money on the ground when you could be spending it in the air.

4: Ask questions constantly.

5: Show up prepared and try to fly at least twice a week.  That will keep your skills sharp and decrease the number of things you have to relearn.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been a flight instructor and airline pilot for over 25 years.  Things I have learned through that time..
The screen doesn't matter.  You can fly either with little transition.
The school, Unless you are looking at a very high paced fast training cycle, don't use a school.  You are wasting your money.  (I also use to chief pilot a very large international flight school)
1.  Buy your own plane.  A 4 place PA-28 makes a super training platform for about $25K-35K depending on how it is equipped, uses about $45/Hr in fuel and will do everything you need for PPL and IRA.  It can be financed long term, you will pay less than standard per hour rent and you will be able to re-sell it once you are done if you choose to.  Insurance is very affordable and so is maintenance and for all this you have much more than just time in your logbook.
2.  Hire your own personal flight instructor.  There are plenty of good ones out there and are not hard to find.  You will save money.
3.  Prepare to study.  Even going to a school will not help you here if you don't have it in you to begin with.  
4.  Anyone can do this!
5.  Good luck and keep it as a hobby, not as a profession!

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of choosing between two schools and need some advice.  One school is really close driving distance and has all new planes with glass instruments, this school is more expensive by $10 for instructor and $15 for plane rental) .  The second school has some planes with glass instruments and some with standard gages, this school is further away but slightly cheaper.  It has been suggested by a friend of mine that flies that I should first learn on the older gauges before going to the LCD screens.  What do you guys think?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:29:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Um, wrong.

Quoted:
I think you should prepare to get raped on your life insurance bill.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Not true at all.
You may be asked to disclose but that is all.

Quoted:

They will ask you a lot (not sure for smaller amounts) so if you die in a private plane crash they probably won't want to pay you.  I thought Airman Certificates were also a matter of public record?  I just reupped on a thirty year term and was dinged for that and skydiving on my rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you should prepare to get raped on your life insurance bill.

Are you required to disclose that?

They will ask you a lot (not sure for smaller amounts) so if you die in a private plane crash they probably won't want to pay you.  I thought Airman Certificates were also a matter of public record?  I just reupped on a thirty year term and was dinged for that and skydiving on my rate.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#28]
This

Quoted:
I honestly don't see the difference in what gauges you fly, but I have over 10,000 hours so maybe that makes a difference.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I want to believe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you can.
I want to believe.  

PPL is comparatively cheap.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have been a flight instructor and airline pilot for over 25 years.  Things I have learned through that time..
The school, Unless you are looking at a very high paced fast training cycle, don't use a school.  You are wasting your money.  (I also use to chief pilot a very large international flight school)
1.  Buy your own plane.  A 4 place PA-28 makes a super training platform for about $25K-35K depending on how it is equipped, uses about $45/Hr in fuel and will do everything you need for PPL and IRA.  It can be financed long term, you will pay less than standard per hour rent and you will be able to re-sell it once you are done if you choose to.  Insurance is very affordable and so is maintenance and for all this you have much more than just time in your logbook.
2.  Hire your own personal flight instructor.  There are plenty of good ones out there and are not hard to find.  You will save money.
3.  Prepare to study.  Even going to a school will not help you here if you don't have it in you to begin with.  
4.  Anyone can do this!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
4.  Anyone can do this!

Quoted:
Hey Guys,

Those annual inspections are asskickers
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Add my vote to those for the older instruments. Learn to fly. Then add in the screens.

Also, here's a great article that will help you minimize your costs:
http://www.avweb.com/news/avtraining/186545-1.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I got my license in 1976 when Cessna had a big promotion.  There obviously were no glass cockpits back then,  The planes were all new 150's & then 152's and the newer ones had transponders!  There are trade-offs to all training situations.  I trained at an uncontrolled airport where you simply announced your intentions on Unicom.  I struggled whenever I flew into a controlled area or major airport, but I solo'd in about 6 hours.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't sweat the VOR's, etc. if you're going to fly a plane that is equipped with more modern avionics.

Getting my ticket was a blast.  Shortly after getting my license, I got married, had kids and quit flying.  I'll have my license for the rest of my life and could get back into flying a little easier (I guess) but probably never will.  One hell of an experience getting the license though!
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

For $48 less an hour, DOOOO EEET!
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Go with whichever is more affordable.

The license will look the same....no matter which plane you learn on.

The old steam driven gauges will give you a better scan anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#36]
A lot of good points already on thus thread. Another thing to consider is airport congestion. If one airpirt is busier and taxi time is longer, that is time that you're paying for and not learning.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A lot of good points already on thus thread. Another thing to consider is airport congestion. If one airpirt is busier and taxi time is longer, that is time that you're paying for and not learning.
View Quote

Avoiding a/c on the ground is just as important as avoiding a/c in the air. Sometimes landing at a large busy airport I need the flip side of the Jepp chart just to navigate

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Learn on the old equipment.learn how to pilot a plane.too many today rely on modern instuments.I always tought it was a lot more rewarding to fly by map.
View Quote

This.  Too many "Children of the Magenta Line" out there.

Good luck.  Lots of us old farts getting ready to retire.  

Remember this:

1.) Flying is 20% learning stuff and 80% going out flying, screwing up and realizing WHY you learned the 20%.

2.) Usually, the guy in the room talking the loudest is the one who knows the least.  Find the pilot who everyone respects and learn from him or her.

3.) If you don't occasionally scare yourself, others should be scared of you.

4.) Nature is cruel, unyielding and not politically correct.  

Have fun!

TC
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You want to be a pilot.  You don't have to be tactful.

It's YOUR money.  It's YOUR time.  It's YOUR call as to who you learn from.

TC
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#40]
It doesn't matter if you use glass or not.  Properly done, a Private pilot should be outside visual references 85% of the time flying.  Don't forget the national average for a Private license is around 75 hours.  Don't be afraid to fire an instructor.  There are many out there, contrary to conventional wisdom and hangar bullshit about CFI's shortages.  Review 49 CFR 61.87 (a) - (d) for solo requirements and 61.105 & 61.107 for PVT pilot requirements along with a Practical Test Standards for Private pilot.  Make sure you are being taught to those requirements and standards.  In aviation, you have to act as your own QC, luckily the information is published.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Go get your medical, the 3rd class is your student pilot certificate
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He only has 550 hours in 8 years of flying (and instructing for two years)? Something doesn't add up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took an intro class today and the instructor has about 8 years flying, 550 hours, and almost 2 years instructing.  So far one student has a license and a few others are in the process.  I figure he is the new guy at the school.  He was okay, he really didn't get into detailed explanation of things or assumed that I knew what he was talking about; for example, he mentioned elevators and I had no idea what he was talking about until I asked later on.
He only has 550 hours in 8 years of flying (and instructing for two years)? Something doesn't add up.

This, find an instructor you are comfortable with. not someone with a minimum of hours.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This, find an instructor you are comfortable with. not someone with a minimum of hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took an intro class today and the instructor has about 8 years flying, 550 hours, and almost 2 years instructing.  So far one student has a license and a few others are in the process.  I figure he is the new guy at the school.  He was okay, he really didn't get into detailed explanation of things or assumed that I knew what he was talking about; for example, he mentioned elevators and I had no idea what he was talking about until I asked later on.

He probably does it just for fun/ego/ to hang out away from the wife and try to flirt with the young chicky snacks.

We had a few instructors like that, and they all seemed to fit a certain pattern.     I would find a sharp young cfi. Personable, but professional. Male.  American.    They are out there, But you may have to look around a bit.
Overall hours don't matter.  Good instructors can have 500 or 20,000 hours.    I was a better instructor at 1000 hours than I would be now, because I loved the job, and I cared greatly about my students and aviation.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here are my 2 cents:

If possible and you're motivated enough, start flying in gliders. Yes, you read that right, gliders. Most glider pilots have better stick & rudder skills compared to most power only pilots. Not all but definitely most. That's at least true for the hundreds+ of guys and gals I've flown with over the decades.

Next get into an aircraft with steam gauges. Why? Transitioning will be a piece of cake flying wise. Flying an aircraft will appear easy to you compared to a glider. So you can focus on the engine and a few more systems.

If you plan on getting an IFR rating I'd recommend doing that in a steam gauge aircraft as well. Why? Because the backup instruments in modern cockpits are usually steam gauge type instruments. That's not true for every avionics installation but the vast majority is equipped/certified like that.

Then transition to glass if you wish.

There are quite a few 'professional' aviators these days that have sweat breaking out just because their PFD and MFD failed in the Sim and they have to rely on shooting an approach on a few old fashioned backup instruments. Don't be one of them.

Extra bonus: learning to fly that way is usually cheaper as well.

View Quote

My first license was Glider Private.

Coincidentally, I did it for the reasons you listed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup I just called the school.  They are trying to get me in with a guy that flies commercial jets for a living and has had a passion for instructing for 40 years, he's also qualified for helicopters.  So this guy sounds very serious about flying and sounds like someone I can learn a lot from.  I just said I am looking for someone that has been instructing for a long time and also is instrument certified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, a long term instructor with a instrument!    Good job.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top