Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2013 12:06:02 PM EDT
Is he so bad because our government says so? I mean it seems as though he has kept the peace for a long time until our foreign policies in the middle east and N Africa were revamped by our government; and the governments of Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt collapsed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
assad made zero look like a weak asshole.  May fuck be upon both of them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The guy is definitely an asshole, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he's far better than what we are about to get.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Because Al queda and  the Brotherhood apparently will provide a brighter future
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
He is a dictator, he's running and Arab country, he's killed a lot of Arabs,he's killed a lot of his own citizens who are muslim,  he's secular, he hasn't attacked Israel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
He's bad because he didn't roll over for Obama's "Arab Spring".  On the other hand, Hillary says he's a reformer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's bad because he didn't roll over for Obama's "Arab Spring".  On the other hand, Hillary says he's a reformer.
View Quote

Don't forget he's a good friend of Kerry's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He is a dictator, he's running and Arab country, he's killed a lot of Arabs,he's killed a lot of his own citizens who are muslim,  he's secular, he hasn't attacked Israel.
View Quote

He did support AQI so I find his current predicament awesome.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He made Kerry pick up the check each of the five times they dined together.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

assad made zero look like a weak asshole.  May fuck be upon both of them.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So he is the standard model of how to effectively run a middle eastern country then?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So he is the standard model of how to effectively run a middle eastern country then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Nuther reason for Zero to hate him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
He's running an Iranian proxy state. We've been involved in a proxy conflict with Iran for the last 35 years that has taken the lives of hundreds of American military and civilians. He's been a longtime supporter and facilitator of terrorism against Israel. Under his and his father's regime Syria occupied and destabilized Lebanon for decades. The majority of the foreign fighters in Iraq entered via the Syrian border: he was complicit, and they killed a lot of American troops. He's brutally repressed what began as a secular uprising against his government during the Arab Spring and he's used nerve gas against his own civilians. Regardless of what you think of intervention he's not some goddamned hero holding the tide against the jihadis.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because he killed 400 children with poison gas.
View Quote

but the others killed with conventional weapons are OK? Oh, I see, makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's running an Iranian proxy state. We've been involved in a proxy conflict with Iran for the last 35 years that has taken the lives of hundreds of American military and civilians. He's been a longtime supporter and facilitator of terrorism against Israel. Under his and his father's regime Syria occupied and destabilized Lebanon for decades. The majority of the foreign fighters in Iraq entered via the Syrian border: he was complicit, and they killed a lot of American troops. He's brutally repressed what began as a secular uprising against his government during the Arab Spring and he's used nerve gas against his own civilians. Regardless of what you think of intervention he's not some goddamned hero holding the tide against the jihadis.
View Quote

Truth, 100%.

He's better in power than the extremists though, bet thing to do it keep the civil war going in perpetuity with only covert American involvement.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Because he people on his side allegedly killed as many as 400 children with poison gas.
View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is my understanding as well.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Assad:

• Sent jihadis and weapons to kill us in Iraq.

• Supports Hezbollah, which has killed a lot of Americans (including the 241 Marines, Sailors, and Soldiers in the '83 barracks bombing)

• Is a strong ally of Iran

It's not a zero sum game. Everyone can be an asshole here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
He's just the latest bogeyman.

After he goes, another one will magically appear, almost as if on cue.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonder how many children will be killed if we lob a couple hundred cruise missiles into Syria.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true, only thing I might quibble with is the secular uprising.  The arab spring is largly a MB uprising.  Helped in Syria by the ruling Shia/majority sunni situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Like father, like son.

Google his father and his use of poison gas on the locals.

He was a real peach.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
He's doing our government's job for it, and doing it better than it could do for itself.  They don't like the competition.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say we build a wall around Syria and throw in guns until the shooting stops.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Assad:

• Supports Hezbollah, which has killed a lot of Americans (including the 241 Marines, Sailors, and Soldiers in the '83 barracks bombing)

View Quote

Yes, but when one enemy is busily exterminating another enemy, should you not cheer his progress?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

being sarcastic...or do have info no one else has?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Very true, only thing I might quibble with is the secular uprising.  The arab spring is largly a MB uprising.  Helped in Syria by the ruling Shia/majority sunni situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MB membership in Syria was punishable by death prior to the revolution. It was destroyed by Assad's father and was not a coherent political movement in Syria in 2011. There's no evidence that they played any role in the early stages of the uprising. It was pretty much a secular movement. We fucked up by not getting out in front of it then.

In any case, the Syrian MB is not the Egyptian MB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Brotherhood_of_Syria
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, but when one enemy is busily exterminating another enemy, should you not cheer his progress?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assad:

Because 1. Somebody's going to win and 2. The Syrian opposition is not entirely composed of our enemies. In fact, nobody knows how much of it is made up of Islamists. It almost certainly isn't even a numerical majority.

But we ARE creating more enemies by NOT intervening. http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/why-syrians-in-turkey-are-not-%E2%80%9Crefugees%E2%80%9D-and-why-it-matters
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Assad:

I'm fine with that, but we are getting some posters on here that seem to think Assad is a good guy.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#30]
US dithering allowed the Salafists to gain a foothold. Had there been support of secularists,dissidents and deserters early Assad would be gone and AQ would not be an issue in Syria.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm fine with that, but we are getting some posters on here that seem to think Assad is a good guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assad:

No one over there is a good guy. He is a "stable" guy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Uhm, you do realize the John Kerry has stated that Assad is fine dude with a righteous wife, and eats like a gentleman?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
US dithering allowed the Salafists to gain a foothold. Had there been support of secularists,dissidents and deserters early Assad would be gone and AQ would not be an issue in Syria.

View Quote

I will bet you one trillion dollars that that is not true.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because 1. Somebody's going to win and 2. The Syrian opposition is not entirely composed of our enemies. In fact, nobody knows how much of it is made up of Islamists. It almost certainly isn't even a numerical majority.

But we ARE creating more enemies by NOT intervening. http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/why-syrians-in-turkey-are-not-%E2%80%9Crefugees%E2%80%9D-and-why-it-matters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assad:

I'm not sure I agree with you on that last sentence, or on number 2.  My uncertainty makes me unwilling to roll the dice with American Soldiers' lives.  I do know that one of the 5 pillars of Islam is to make the world subject to Islam.  That in itself is a mission statement that is repeated every day by every "good" practitioner. It is difficult, and I'm not sure it's wise to try to decide which are the "good" muslims and which are our enemies.  The MB is clearly an enemy.  The Baath party is somewhat more secular, and while it's fascist, it's not as fanatical in its hatred of us.  More of a pragmatic enmity.  Either way, both sides want to take us down a notch.  I'm for not helping them do it.  There is absolutely nothing to gain that I care about, and it would mean getting involved in ANOTHER land war in Asia.  Even Vassilly from Princess Bride would say that was a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Because his country currently prints their own money.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is he so bad because our government says so? I mean it seems as though he has kept the peace for a long time until our foreign policies in the middle east and N Africa were revamped by our government; and the governments of Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt collapsed.
View Quote

He gassed his own people.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assad:

Not anymore. Even if he manages to tamp this down and regain control over most of the country it'll never be stable under an Assad regime again. It'll be a jihadi magnet and rallying cry, and the sectarian fighting will continue to spread thru Lebanon and through-out the ME. Cat's out of the bag.

If he were really that stable in the first place we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why stop with Syria, encircle the whole middle east and much of the far east as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Assad:

I'm fine with that, too. I'm just irked by the "it's AQ versus the good guys" BS.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Uhm, you do realize the John Kerry has stated that Assad is fine dude with a righteous wife, and eats like a gentleman?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

some posters on here that seem to think Assad is a good guy.

Kerry is an assclown.

I wonder what his screen name is.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I agree with you on that last sentence, or on number 2.  My uncertainty makes me unwilling to roll the dice with American Soldiers' lives.  I do know that one of the 5 pillars of Islam is to make the world subject to Islam.  That in itself is a mission statement that is repeated every day by every "good" practitioner. It is difficult, and I'm not sure it's wise to try to decide which are the "good" muslims and which are our enemies.  The MB is clearly an enemy.  The Baath party is somewhat more secular, and while it's fascist, it's not as fanatical in its hatred of us.  More of a pragmatic enmity.  Either way, both sides want to take us down a notch.  I'm for not helping them do it.  There is absolutely nothing to gain that I care about, and it would mean getting involved in ANOTHER land war in Asia.  Even Vassilly from Princess Bride would say that was a bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assad:

Yeah, there's no good options, just varying degrees of bad ones. It's all percentages. And I don't think anything will involve going in on the ground. Even if we had overwhelming public support and a staging area and a good reason, Barack doesn't have the sack.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Because our government needs another war. As weak as it is, like blatantly weak. Obama has discarded his banana leaf garb.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Assad is a dick but he's a secular dictator.  

So not only are we coming down on the side of AQ, but we are also fighting FOR the very dipshits that oppress women.  You have jackasses like Pelosi who says not providing free birth control is a fundamental attack on women's rights but yet she is more than ready to come down on the side of MuBo who would do nothing more than strip away all women's rights in Syria.

On top of all that, the US will basically be supporting genocide when the dominant sunni population kills off the minority allawites.   Its back to hiding in the hills for the allawites.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not anymore. Even if he manages to tamp this down and regain control over most of the country it'll never be stable under an Assad regime again. It'll be a jihadi magnet and rallying cry, and the sectarian fighting will continue to spread thru Lebanon and through-out the ME. Cat's out of the bag.

If he were really that stable in the first place we wouldn't be having this conversation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assad:

Good point.  But that is like the chicken or the egg argument.  
Is he unstable so we have to support his ousters or did we support his ousters so now he is unstable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I like how the libtard media was fawning over Assad's old lady a couple of years ago describing her aa shining light in the mid-east and now is throwing her under the bus.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Kerry is an assclown.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

some posters on here that seem to think Assad is a good guy.

Kerry is an assclown.

Breath smells like Obama sauce
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#47]
He was in charge of a stable country.

Those are not allowed to exist in the new world order.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Previously they just wiped entire populated towns off the map with artillery.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

He gassed his own people.  
View Quote

True, but so has the opposition. This is two bad guys going to town on one another, and Assad is currently in the lead. If our airstrikes are truly "limited" then it should even the playing field and prolong the conflict... which is kinda what most of GD wants isn't it? ...

ETA: Forgot to put the quote in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
You really don't know that.  Scumbags are on both sides of the war.

The radical rebel types would sacrifice 4000 of their own children if they thought it had the chance of getting us to enter their war to fight on their side.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top