Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2013 12:36:07 PM EDT
OK, so this Ip Man scene kicks ass, but in the end, it's a movie.

What martial arts do you think is best when the Queensbury rules aren't in effect and opponents can fight dirty or with whatever is around?

ETA: Guys, don't be so literal. I don't actually want to fight 10 guys, it's the  scene from IP Man I posted.
Am I the only one who's seen the movie?

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
In your state, I'd recommend a good pistol with a hi cap mag. In some, like NY, there would be 3 left to stomp your ass.
Seriously, I have boxed and taken Nin Jitsu and Gracie Ju Jitsu. I'd love to see the man who can take in 10 people intent on stomping their ass. The don't attack in 1s and 2a like in the movies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock HK P2000SK and Ruger LCP bug
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In your state, I'd recommend a good pistol with a hi cap mag. In some, like NY, there would be 3 left to stomp your ass.
Seriously, I have boxed and taken Nin Jitsu and Gracie Ju Jitsu. I'd love to see the man who can take in 10 people intent on stomping their ass. The don't attack in 1s and 2a like in the movies.
View Quote

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, however.

Thugs rarely stand 20 feet off and announce that they are going to draw down.
Just wondering what's proven effective when the BGs announce their intent to misbehave when already up close.
Say, while you are entering or exiting a store.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Those qualified to answer will be ignored, those not will agreed with and applauded, and somebody will post the Indiana Jones gun versus sword video.

Another Arfcom martial arts thread yay!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Gun-fu.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Krav. but in reality the  reebok, nike, adidas, New balance defense. Short of that a shotgun, short of that a rifle, short of that a pistol, short that a good spear, short of that a sword, short of that a knife. short of that Krav. short that  see the above.

or hand grenades
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessing Krav Maga since you said fight dirty. Realistically though you'd be in for an ass whooping no matter what. Only takes one missed punch or kick to slow a person.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
A good bo staff in the right hands is a sight to see also.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm guessing Krav Maga since you said fight dirty. Realistically though you'd be in for an ass whooping no matter what. Only takes one missed punch or kick to slow a person.
View Quote

Never heard of it before. quick google shows its promising.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A good bo staff in the right hands is a sight to see also.
View Quote

gunkatta FTL
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
this one gang keeps trying to get me to join. i'm pretty good with a bo staff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You just gotta have "the glow" , like Bruce Leroy.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Put an ad on Craigslist. Only, since they're opposed to violence, you'll have to abbreviate it as "I Want to F____ Ten Men." Don't worry, they'll know what you mean.

Casual Encounters would probably be the spot for it. Make sure you include your phone number.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Rape whistle and some rough-talkin' should do it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Put an ad on Craigslist. Only, since they're opposed to violence, you'll have to abbreviate it as "I Want to F____ Ten Men." Don't worry, they'll know what you mean.

Casual Encounters would probably be the spot for it. Make sure you include your phone number.

View Quote

HAAAAAAAA!
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Krav Maga and Muay Thai...

but WTF do I know... I've never done martial arts before... just what I've read/heard

On a little side note, I've always wondered how effective Aikido was ...  ??
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
You have to be that good and your opponents that bad.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#20]
At that distance anything short of being Jerry Miculek with enough rounds and they will get to you then beat your ass.

Asian movies have some of the most retarded fight scenes every imagined.  I love that they just stand around looking at him while their buddies get pummelled at some point you'd think they would just say "hey chung chow over there, you grab him from behind lee wong grab his left arm bill grab his right arm, I'll kick him in the nuts then punch him in the face...then we can take turns raping him, uh i mean we'll beat him down."
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
.45 vs Kung Fu= Kung Fu
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

aikido principles have saved my ass more times than i can remember, but it's not a fighting system--it's a system of controlling the space you're in.

a lot of times, that means relocating the space you're in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Big fan of Ip Man and the art of Wing Chun. His story is pretty cool and the art it self is a decent fighting system, maybe not the best but for its simplicity, its effective. Actually purchased this book recently to add to my collection. It's one of the only copies, if not the only copy in the US. Written by both of Ip Mans sons, Ip Chun and Ip Jing/Ching, and edited by Arthur Chan. Was purchased from a Neurosurgeon out of Illinois who trained under Arthur Chan the editor back in the 70's. Thing should be in a martial arts museum. One of the first English printings on the Wing Chun system. Pretty happy to have it in my collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WING-CHUN-WOODEN-DUMMY-TECHNIQUES-YIP-MAN-RARE-FIRST-EDITION-/181206647998?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=9ChrETLCUZsDSxT34bRRNIOScx4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#24]
There's a couple of approaches you might try:

(1) Just say, "Hheeey, you fellas all look so buff and taut, why don't we go back to my place for some San Miguels and some fun?"

(2) Loosen your collar, take off your watch, uncinch you belt one notch, spread your legs apart just past shoulder width, stoop to low squat, bend forward then upward, and kiss your ass good bye.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Not that I know WTF is going on in that clip, but it LOOKS like wing chun..
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Homicide vest.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#27]
10 Guys?  That would definitely meet the almost universal definition of "expectation of death or serious bodily injury."

Just try to avoid them---and if they cut you off/won't let you go; commence to putting holes in them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Silat. It has been refined through combat over thousands of years. Largely based on using blade weapons.

Not too many videos out there because it hasn't caught much attention in the West.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#29]
10 guys you're gonna get beat unless you have a rifle with a full magazine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

aikido principles have saved my ass more times than i can remember, but it's not a fighting system--it's a system of controlling the space you're in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

now THAT is interesting... to actually have someone say it has worked well for them in a real situation.

I just really enjoyed learning about how it teaches you to use your opponent's movements, mass, & energy against them. It seems kind of like it was designed by an engineer or something.

plus it looks cool

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
"I want to fight 10 Men! "

Good luck with that, Trayvon!
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good points.

Quoted:
Big fan of Ip Man and the art of Wing Chun. His story is pretty cool and the art it self is a decent fighting system, maybe not the best but for its simplicity, its effective. Actually purchased this book recently to add to my collection. It's one of the only copies, if not the only copy in the US. Written by both of Ip Mans sons, Ip Chun and Ip Jing/Ching, and edited by Arthur Chan. Was purchased from a Neurosurgeon out of Illinois who trained under Arthur Chan the editor back in the 70's. Thing should be in a martial arts museum. One of the first English printings on the Wing Chun system. Pretty happy to have it in my collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WING-CHUN-WOODEN-DUMMY-TECHNIQUES-YIP-MAN-RARE-FIRST-EDITION-/181206647998?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=9ChrETLCUZsDSxT34bRRNIOScx4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc.

at $280, that's a collector's item all right.  
Needs to be scanned and posted before it is lost for good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you guys are way too literal for GD.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#33]

You've been holding onto that pic a while.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Krav doesn't live up to the hype.

There is no martial art or combination of arts that even after a lifetime of study and dedication will prove effective against ten attackers. Your best bet against multiple attackers is a combination of western boxing and Muy Thai kickboxing. BJJ works well against a single opponent, against multiple you'll suffer kicks to the head and ribs. Stick and move, stay on your feet and you may survive 2-3 guys.

Ten guys will do whatever they want to you. In that case your best bet is a beltfed bullet hose, and they'd better be a good distance off and unarmed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Those qualified to answer will be ignored, those not will agreed with and applauded, and somebody will post the Indiana Jones gun versus sword video.

Another Arfcom martial arts thread yay!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Shit just got real.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Shit just got real.

View All Quotes

Funny that he posted that particular pic as evidence of his mastery in the fighting arts.

His form there is pretty fucking horrible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Opie, as long as you are not in very good shape, not very big, not a good fighter, and have a physical disability, I'll fight you.

edit;

That is, assuming that I'm with the 9 other guys you want to fight. Hey, I'm just trying to help you out.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Saw a guy in high school take on 5 people.  Just started swinging and keeping everyone in front of him.  He used no kicks, only punches. He would have lost, but managed to hang on long enough for others to break it up.

So I would say for fighting multiple opponents, boxing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#40]
A while ago in a sword group the demonstrator defeated twelve (maybe it was more than that).  But it was because of his strategy not his 'system' or technique.  I think that applies to all of the systems, though Systema  practioners regulary train for group events.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#41]
American Combatives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not?

I edited my top post so everyone would stop taking the " fight 10 men " so literally.
Apparently, no one has seen the movie.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
There is no martial art or combination of arts that even after a lifetime of study and dedication will prove effective against ten attackers.
View Quote

this.  all the technique in the world goes out the window the moment the first guy wraps you up.  that's honestly all it takes--one guy to tie you up and slow you down.  in the time it takes to disengage from that guy, you have totally lost the ability to manage range against everyone else.  standard procedure in 3v1 is the first guy ties up, the second guy controls, and the third guy finishes.  as long as the multiples aren't totally ignorant and/or actively interfering with each other, 3 guys can handle 1 even if they're seriously physically outclassed.

obviously any kind of weapon changes this, since the first guy has to protect himself while he's anchoring.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Have done bar brawls as a bouncer against 6 and 5 guys twice in nearly a decade of it.  More scary than fun, more fun than horrific and like a knife fight you are going to get hurt.  Multiple 2-3 on me but knowing how to control the fight and not get tunnel vision will keep your skull intact and still breathing but still not fucking worth it.

Also been shived with something other than a knife, and took someone with a blade outside the club which almost resulted in me losing my guts a shredded shirt and a wicked scratch from liver to left hip.

As far as fighting style goes it evolves into a ground game at some point in a street fight and against 1 or more ground is going to get you fucking killed.  More than one attacking you better be good enough to stop the fucking threat or be willing to mother fucking end them right the fuck there.
No ifs butts and or mother fucks about it more than one or a weapon the same rules for self defense apply for hands as a gun.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Why not?

I edited my top post so everyone would stop taking the " fight 10 men " so literally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?

Because it focuses on a few low percentage lethal or debilitating attacks at the expense of fundamental stand up.

I've never studied it and while I'm sure it contains some valuable attacks, IMO you'd be better off studying traditional stand up first.

The major misconception for those with little or no experience is that a "no rules" based discipline is fundamentally superior to traditional martial arts. Spend some time learning the craft, sparring, and you'll see why this is a fallacy. It may provide a few decent additions to the tool box, but it's not a foundation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Have done bar brawls as a bouncer against 6 and 5 guys twice in nearly a decade of it.  More scary than fun, more fun than horrific and like a knife fight you are going to get hurt.  Multiple 2-3 on me but knowing how to control the fight and not get tunnel vision will keep your skull intact and still breathing but still not fucking worth it.

Also been shived with something other than a knife, and took someone with a blade outside the club which almost resulted in me losing my guts a shredded shirt and a wicked scratch from liver to left hip.

As far as fighting style goes it evolves into a ground game at some point in a street fight and against 1 or more ground is going to get you fucking killed.  More than one attacking you better be good enough to stop the fucking threat or be willing to mother fucking end them right the fuck there.

No ifs butts and or mother fucks about it more than one or a weapon the same rules for self defense apply for hands as a gun.
View Quote

Not necessarily. If you're dealing with someone who has nothing in his tool belt but liquid courage, a couple well placed low kicks will end things pretty quickly.

I avoid street fights at all costs, haven't been in one in years. The last thing I want to do is trade blood with some random asshole. I'll pass on cutting my knuckles on his teeth, thank you.

Good solid low kicks are a game changa, and I gots em.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. If you're dealing with someone who has nothing in his tool belt but liquid courage, a couple well placed low kicks will end things pretty quickly.

I avoid street fights at all costs, haven't been in one in years. The last thing I want to do is trade blood with some random asshole. I'll pass on cutting my knuckles on his teeth, thank you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After tearing a couple knuckles to the bone on belt buckles. Back when people wore their pants like people not like faggots on a troll in a cell block.  Besides the buckle is over the bladder and if they did not have to piss before getting punched there they sure as hell made them after.. and doubles them over better than a shot to the solar plexus without the added risk.
I never punched in the head.. Always found a heafty meaty bear paw to the side of the head/ear/brachal artey in the neck got better results.  Also a well placed man slap is almost as loud as a gun shot in a crowd, and has the addded effect of them getting bitched royally in public.

I prefered kicking them, never the head and never above their shoulders.  Long legs, size 14 boot often times with a steel toe really does make an aggro shit heel reconsider, and keeps them out of laying their shit wipers anywhere near me.   Anything below the rib cage is fair game.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Donny Yen is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Just whom I was thinking of.

Where'd he go?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top