[#2]
Seems pretty easy.

"The
benchmark test comes when the students are tasked with hitting a
2-by-4-inch target from 100 yards away 90 percent of the time they pull
the trigger."
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
FBI sniper for 24 yrs huh - wonder what he uses for practice targets?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Political yard signs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
LEO only class??
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Rifle number two is mighty compact.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Wonder if any of his students participated in Waco or Ruby Ridge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems pretty easy. [div style=' ']"The benchmark test comes when the students are tasked with hitting a 2-by-4-inch target from 100 yards away 90 percent of the time they pull the trigger."
View Quote

Like I said...it's "decent".  Bufford's strong point is not such much his physical abilities or experience.....it's his technical knowledge.  Especially as it relates to ballistics.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Having trained/dealt with FBI "snipers" I'd call them more "perimeter marksmen".
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rifle number two is mighty compact.
View Quote

That stock still weighs a fuck-ton though
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Like I said...it's "decent".  Bufford's strong point is not such much his physical abilities or experience.....it's his technical knowledge.  Especially as it relates to ballistics.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems pretty easy. [div style=' ']"The benchmark test comes when the students are tasked with hitting a 2-by-4-inch target from 100 yards away 90 percent of the time they pull the trigger."

Not to mention it's very possible the officers taking the class have fired less than 100 rounds out of their rifles prior to attendance. It's probably a solid class that puts them over 90% of the population.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd love to take a class on precision shooting.   Some day......
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#13]
At least they are training. It's something....
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Meanwhile, 100 yards away...

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Pregnant woman targets?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Those look like really bad prone positions to me.

Not a single bent leg, no open legged positions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like a pretty standard LE sniper position to me.  Minimal profile, feet dug in, allows for quickest follow up shot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a fairly basic class, but then, they aren't generally asking PD snipers to make 600 yard shots in a 20 mph (gusting to 40) crosswind, with the guarantee of pursuit requiring exfil plans and evac points, etc.  More like "Set up on that rooftop over there about 40 yards away and watch, if we need you to do anything, we'll tell you."
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I alway thought it would be stupid easy to be a PD sniper. You mostly watch and observe and if you have to shoot, at max a shot at 100 yards.

And needing a $3,500 rifle to make those shots seem stupid to me. Im sure some cost more and some cost less, but you dont need much rifle to shoot sub moa at 100 yards.

If I am wrong please school me. seems money would be better spent training like in op. 90% is unacceptable hit percentage at 100 yards. Come one, they call themselve snipers. They should be past this learning curve if they are already a PD sniper
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had the pleasure of working with Mr. Boone several times, as well as sitting down to supper with him once.  He is arguably the most accomplished man in his field in the nation.  He is also an exceptionally nice gentleman.

I've never had the pleasure of shooting with him, but I suspect he teaches an outstanding class.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Political yard signs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Political yard signs.

They make great range targets, and they are free, you can pick them up anywhere.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#23]
in before the butt hurt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LEO only class??
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Non-bent leg is ok, but the legs should be spread a bit with insides of the feet flat on the ground.  If you can do it comfortably, it's a pretty stable position from what some of the AMU guys told me.  Kinda like a wide-track Pontiac.

ETA: I shoot highpower, but would love to take a precision rifle class.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Good times.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good times.
View Quote

I see at least two very sexy arfcops in that photo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good times.

Me, homo, and who else?

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
“We are a small community, but there are six times we have had folks barricade themselves in their homes,” said Clanton Police Chief Brian Stilwell. “We have had our sniper ready to take the shot
View Quote

Great- training to kill people in their own homes.

and I don't know if they're as much "snipers" as they are just designated marksman. But everyone gets a trophy I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Me, homo, and who else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good times.

Me, homo, and who else?

Geriatric man is damn sexy, in fact way more than you and homo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

and I don't know if they're as much "snipers" as they are just designated marksman. But everyone gets a trophy I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“We are a small community, but there are six times we have had folks barricade themselves in their homes,” said Clanton Police Chief Brian Stilwell. “We have had our sniper ready to take the shot

Go away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#32]
holy balls do those guys have poor form.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I alway thought it would be stupid easy to be a PD sniper. You mostly watch and observe and if you have to shoot, at max a shot at 100 yards.

And needing a $3,500 rifle to make those shots seem stupid to me. Im sure some cost more and some cost less, but you dont need much rifle to shoot sub moa at 100 yards.

If I am wrong please school me. seems money would be better spent training like in op. 90% is unacceptable hit percentage at 100 yards. Come one, they call themselve snipers. They should be past this learning curve if they are already a PD sniper
View Quote

big difference between military and police....generally you are aiming for a 1moa area at 100 yards, and your subject will be generally 75 yards in and less
.mil is aiming over very long distances, all in all however the moa is still the same....

its not that easy....

been to multiple schools
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"We are a small community, but there are six times we have had folks barricade themselves in their homes,” said Clanton Police Chief Brian Stilwell. "We have had our sniper ready to take the shot

Call it what you like.

Being able to take a precise shot at some distance is useful in a lot of LE scenarios.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Lots of stylish cargo pockets on display
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

and what do you do bro?

bless your heart by the way
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

LEO only class??
View Quote
NRA precision rifle is police only.... if you close to ohio, you can take my class, we shoot out to 900y

all the info you need is in the PDF flyer attached,...

who is this class geared for?

someone who hasnt shot much past 100/200y and wants to stretch their legs some, someone that wants to get into the tactical precision rifle sport or someone who is new to the sport and wants to get better.

someone that wants to lean how to you there tools to achieve the best results they can, and pick up some helpful tips to get even better.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please post pics of your form.

What would you consider a proper prone form for shooting presicion?

Remember this is pretty short range shooting. LE snipers aren't going to take a 900 yrd shot.

Being in line with the rifle for a quick follow up shot is pretty basic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
NRA precision rifle is police only.... if you close to ohio, you can take my class, we shoot out to 900y  

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']all the info you need is in the PDF flyer attached,...
[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']https://www.box.com/s/m6f3ykzu391w5m1d5qvj

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']who is this class geared for?
[div style='font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica;']someone who hasnt shot much past 100/200y and wants to stretch their legs some, someone that wants to get into the tactical precision rifle sport or someone who is new to the sport and wants to get better.
someone that wants to lean how to you there tools to achieve the best results they can, and pick up some helpful tips to get even better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO only class??

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']all the info you need is in the PDF flyer attached,...

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']https://www.box.com/s/m6f3ykzu391w5m1d5qvj

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(215, 215, 215);']who is this class geared for?
[div style='font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica;']someone who hasnt shot much past 100/200y and wants to stretch their legs some, someone that wants to get into the tactical precision rifle sport or someone who is new to the sport and wants to get better.

Are you the guy whose PD offered a badge in exchange for training the dept?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread is going exactly like I thought it would
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO only class??

Not the same class. The class taught by Boone is a 40hr class.
Sponsored by the FBI and free to PDs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This thread is going exactly like I thought it would
View Quote

its to easy now...
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO only class??

Are you kidding me???
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Looks like a pretty standard LE sniper position to me.  Minimal profile, feet dug in, allows for quickest follow up shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no...

this is proper...

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO only class??

150 rounds
and wolf is fine?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Remember this is pretty short range shooting. LE snipers aren't going to take a 900 yrd shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

pssstt.... i teach long precision rifle... i have taught MIL, LE, and civ...

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

150 rounds
and wolf is fine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO only class??

150 rounds
and wolf is fine?

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LEO only class??

they asked me to become a special officer so they wouldnt have to pay me... i consulted some with them, but work elsewhere now making more $$$...

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Me, homo, and who else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good times.

Me, homo, and who else?

I knew I saw some sexy on the firing line.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Having trained/dealt with FBI "snipers" I'd call them more "perimeter marksmen".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top