Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2013 9:55:46 PM EDT
Dose it work? Or should I just break down and buy new injectors?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's most effective if you remove your injectors from your engine and soak them in injector cleaner.  The coils can be checked with a digital ohmmeter.  You can also replace the tiny basket filters inside of them, if you really wanted to.

I did it once, thinking my injectors had to be plugged up...but all 8 basket filters were very clean..
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
certainly, if they are gummed up, it is worth it to try before spending a fortune on new injectors
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
BG44K perhaps....
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also clean & test your injectors with a little DIY kit.  I built one just like this myself when I was having fuel injector trouble, and it works great with a 9V battery.

DIY Injector testing/cleaning

Carb cleaner is more effective than fuel injector cleaner, but I am not sure I would want to soak my injectors in carb cleaner or not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It's worth a shot.

I've seen some amazing things happen with old cars when the right fluid additives are used.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
SeaFoam works pretty damn well... I have been using it for several years. You use can use it both in the gas and in the oil.  I use it more often in my gas tank though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
SeaFoam.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SeaFoam works pretty damn well...
View Quote

This maybe the best stuff out there
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Seafoam is practically worthless as a fuel additive. It will clean your intake manifold if you suck it through a vacuum hose. That is about all it's good for.

On the other hand....dealerships use cleaners like BG44K.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seafoam is practically worthless as a fuel additive. It will clean your intake manifold if you suck it through a vacuum hose. That is about all it's good for.

View Quote

But can your average Joe get BG44K locally? Probably not unless you know somebody that works at a dealership.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But can your average Joe get BG44K locally? Probably not unless you know somebody that works at a dealership.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can get my hands on some, maybe.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. I've paid through the nose to have a dealership use BG44K and it seems to work well.

But I wouldn't trust that I've thoroughly cleaned my injectors just by dumping a bottle of Seafoam in my gas tank. That's why I posted the DIY video on how to 100% verify that your injectors work and clean them at the same time.

I don't know how well off the shelf brand Injector cleaners work, but I know for a fact that carb cleaner works well. The only problem is that injectors are made of plastic...and carb cleaner is nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know. I've paid through the nose to have a dealership use BG44K and it seems to work well.

But I wouldn't trust that I've thoroughly cleaned my injectors just by dumping a bottle of Seafoam in my gas tank. That's why I posted the DIY video on how to 100% verify that your injectors work and clean them at the same time.

I don't know how well off the shelf brand Injector cleaners work, but I know for a fact that carb cleaner works well. The only problem is that injectors are made of plastic...and carb cleaner is nasty stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I hear not to use carb cleaner for this reason.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can get some, by all  means use it. A friend of mine that works at a local Ford dealership as a mechanic (certified) says it's the shit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SeaFoam works pretty damn well... I have been using it for several years. You use can use it both in the gas and in the oil.  I use it more often in my gas tank though.
View Quote

I came to post this. Shit works.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you use it in the oil, they recommend you dump it in the crank case, drive 25-50 miles, then change your oil.  It's not meant to stay there long term.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you use it in the oil, they recommend you dump it in the crank case, drive 25-50 miles, then change your oil.  It's not meant to stay there long term.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many products that work much better than Seafoam in your crankcase to flush your engine oil.

I have personally seen GUNK brand engine flush prevent a head gasket rebuild by unsticking lifters on a newer OHV engine. I've heard that ATF fluid and diesel fuel work just as good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or should I just break down and buy new injectors?
View Quote

Having your injectors rebuilt might be another option.

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I dump a bottle of Techron in my tank every now and then.  I was told by one of the mechanics I used to use that it worked pretty well for an additive type cleaner; I haven't had any issues with it on two different Toyotas now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are many products that work much better than Seafoam in your crankcase to flush your engine oil.

I have personally seen GUNK brand engine flush prevent a head gasket rebuild by unsticking lifters on a newer OHV engine. I've heard that ATF fluid and diesel fuel work just as good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand, I personally witnessed GUNK radiator repair destroy a radiator instead of simply fixing a small leak.

In all reality the automotive add a can fixes are hit or miss at best. Your best bet is run quality fuel and maintain your vehicles mechanical bits from day one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

On the other hand, I personally witnessed GUNK radiator repair destroy a radiator instead of simply fixing a small leak.

In all reality the automotive add a can fixes are hit or miss at best. Your best bet is run quality fuel and maintain your vehicles mechanical bits from day one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Fix-everything-in-one-can is not going to be the best at anything. It may help a bit, BUT if you are going to attempt to use something like that, it's better to use a specialty product that has one specific proven use.

I don't advocate "add a can" fixes, but in some cases, it really is worth a shot. I would certainly attempt to flush out my lifters before I bite the bullet and do a cylinder head rebuild.  But on the other hand, why would someone risk using radiator stop leak on a leaky radiator, when it's so easy to just replace it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
The most effective fuel additives contain high percentages of polyether amine, or PEA.  The good ones I know off hand are Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, and Techron.  The cheaper stuff is generally worthless.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Used sea foam in the 1999 saturn at 90,000 miles when the injectors were dirty used 2 cans over three tanks of gas problem gone car has 130,000 now .Put a can in the 2003 chevy truck in the spring and fall  220,000 miles
and have had no injector problems .Used there tranny cleaner at 150000 miles still running the same tranny with no problems .So I guess i`m saying before you spend big $$$ spend 8 bucks on it give it a try
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seafoam is about the best you can get for an off the shelf injector cleaner, you can put it in gas, diesel, in your crank case oil( most people recommend leaving it in there for about 75-100 miles) the store i work at typically sells a can per day or more. There is another way to clean your intake/ injectors using a vacuum line and such but i dont have all the details on hand and have never done it. Oh and its good for using on small engines too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Find a local performance shop with an injector cleaner.

If you can't find a local shop to do it, contact the shop linked below.  I know them personally and they are top notch.

http://www.42autosports.com/
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seafoam is about the best you can get for an off the shelf injector cleaner, you can put it in gas, diesel, in your crank case oil( most people recommend leaving it in there for about 75-100 miles) the store i work at typically sells a can per day or more. There is another way to clean your intake/ injectors using a vacuum line and such but i dont have all the details on hand and have never done it. Oh and its good for using on small engines too.
View Quote

Using Seafoam through a vacuum line cleans out your intake manifold, not your fuel injectors. (most people use the vac hose at the master cylinder)

As far as using it as a fuel additive, I've seen just as many reports of it not doing anything at all, as people claiming that it worked. I don't believe there is even any proven fuel additives it contains besides maybe alcohol. (which burns better than gasoline, but is not an effective cleaning agent)

Using it in your oil is a bit silly, when there are so many better alternatives. Flushing your engine oil is dangerous and shouldn't be done unless it's absolutely necessary. But Seafoam is probably safe to use regardless, because it doesn't actually contain any solvents or anything.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I use a bottle of Redline in my rotary once in awhile. Any decent auto parts store should have it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you can get some, by all  means use it. A friend of mine that works at a local Ford dealership as a mechanic (certified) says it's the shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/B-G-44K-BG44K/dp/B00ER8HDRE

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been told by engineers at auto companies that this is one of the few types of additives that actually can help.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't know how bad your problem is.

When I got my IROC it wouldn't idle long after start up.  It would slowly drop rpm and then die.  The guy I bought it off of said it needed to have the injectors pulled and professionally cleaned.  I started running bottles of injector cleaner through it and after about 5 bottles (two in the first tank full of gas and one each in the next three it idled just fine.  I'd pour a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank a couple times each year and its still running the same injectors almost 13 years later.  Has 186,000 miles on it now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#32]
BG44K is the best if you can get it.

Chevron techron is another that is good. I know you can find it at autozone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The engineers I know suggest Chevron also.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:12:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can also clean & test your injectors with a little DIY kit.  I built one just like this myself when I was having fuel injector trouble, and it works great with a 9V battery.

DIY Injector testing/cleaning

Carb cleaner is more effective than fuel injector cleaner, but I am not sure I would want to soak my injectors in carb cleaner or not.
View Quote

Awesome!

About TechRon: GM has known problem with the fuel sender getting dirty from sulphur in the fuel and failing. Nothing I have tried except TechRon will fix it, and I have tried just about everything. One bottle of TechRon and 20 miles later the fuel gauge is working again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Red Line is what a lot of tuners use, as it has far more of the active cleaning ingredients and solvents than most of the commercial ones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Pour in tank additives can work or at least help. Don't be too surprised if they don't, what you're trying to do is remove thousands of miles of crud by mixing in a solvent that's diluted down to somewhere around eighty to one by the gasoline and merely driving as you normally would. It's usually worth a few shots though because it's cheap compared to the next steps.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had good luck with it as well

Free'd a stuck oil pressure sensor (vdo sensor)
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pour in tank additives can work or at least help. Don't be too surprised if they don't, what you're trying to do is remove thousands of miles of crud by mixing in a solvent that's diluted down to somewhere around eighty to one by the gasoline and merely driving as you normally would. It's usually worth a few shots though because it's cheap compared to the next steps.
View Quote

If you can get what the pro's use, it works a lot better than typical parts store stuff.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used Chevron and it must have removed the deposits holding my valve guide in place because it promptly shot down into the piston after running a tank of that stuff
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#40]
12 mothballs in the gas tank FTMFW !
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Seafoam, BG44K and Techron are all pour in's that take driving the vehicle and possibly a couple of tanks of gas depending on how dirty your injectors are. I would suggest finding a Wynn's or BG shop and have them use their in line cleaner. It's much more effective as it is introduced thru the fuel rail and then the engine is run strictly on the cleaner. Then you can follow up with a pour in that actually does a better job cleaning the intake and exhaust valves.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Red Line is what a lot of tuners use, as it has far more of the active cleaning ingredients and solvents than most of the commercial ones.
View Quote

I've heard that, too.

According to internet lore, the formula for BG-44K was changed a couple years ago. The stuff they currently sell is not nearly as effective as the old stuff.

Red Line SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this... Thank you for adding the info...

I own a small business buying & selling cars from auctions. And i have parts accounts at most dealerships as well as a couple friends who work at different dealerships. I will inquire about the BG44K and see if i can get it easily or not and what my cost is.
Maybe i can get a couple cases of it and we can all use it-
I'll want to ask my friend who is a master mechanic if its that good though. He has worked at the Land Rover dealership for 22yrs so I'll try to find out what he thinks about it... ETA: He actually uses SeaFoam on his vehicles-

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There's a handful of them that are okay as a preventative maintenance sorta thing.  None of them will really fix mechanical problems.

Chevron Techron is the only one I'm aware of approved by a few OEMs, GM, Ford, BMW, Honda and Toyota I think as well.  Mostly to deal with sulfur contamination to fuel senders, causing weird gauge readings and such.

Seafoam ranks up there with the Obama administration in terms of scams and lies.  I wish I would have thought of it myself, I'd have been retired like seventy times over.  There's nothing in that can that will do what they say it will do, it's three ingredients that you can purchase and mix together yourself to make the same basic product if you were so inclined.  At best it's a waste of money, at worst it's a good way to fuck up an engine and/or catalytic converters and O2 sensors (if so equipped).
View Quote

Seriously?  

Is that what happened to one of my cats on my S4???  Damn... how do you know this anyway- can you share?

Whoa!  Now the BK44K is not so good either?  What demo are you referring too anyway?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure it's buy one get one at Autozone right now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA - I saw a fairly eye opening demonstration first hand of what BG 44K is, I spoke well of it for a long time until I saw this demo.  It ain't all it's cracked up to be.
View Quote

Who did the demo and is it on the Internet?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I've always found the kits that attach directly to the schrader valve on the fuel rail work best - FAR better than any of the in-tank products. You disable the fuel pump and run the engine on straight fuel injector cleaner until the can is empty. 3M and OTC both make the kits. There used to be a more affordable version but that company isn't around anymore.

3M kit

OTC kit (they make a few different versions)

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was done by a Tec 2000 chemicals representative, and as far as I know the demo is not on the internet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA - I saw a fairly eye opening demonstration first hand of what BG 44K is, I spoke well of it for a long time until I saw this demo.  It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Who did the demo and is it on the Internet?

It was done by a Tec 2000 chemicals representative, and as far as I know the demo is not on the internet.

Never heard of them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top