Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/10/2013 1:25:30 PM EDT
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-owner-tennessee
About 30-45 seconds later, there was a warning on the dashboard display saying, "Car needs service. Car may not restart." I continued to drive, hoping to get home. About one minute later, the message on the dashboard display read, "Please pull over safely. Car is shutting down." I was able to fully control the car the entire time and safely pulled off the left shoulder on the side of the road. I got out of the car, and started to get all my belongings out. About 5-10 seconds after getting out of the car, smoke started to come from the front underbody of the car. I walked away from the vehicle to a distance of about 100 yards. More smoke started to come out of the bottom of the car, and about two minutes after I walked away, the front of the car caught on fire.

I am thankful to God that I was totally uninjured in any way from this impact. Had I not been in a Tesla, that object could have punched through the floor and caused me serious harm. From the time of impact of the object until the time the car caught fire was about five minutes. During this time, the car warned me that it was damaged and instructed me to pull over. I never felt as though I was in any imminent danger. While driving after I hit the object until I pulled over, the car performed perfectly, and it was a totally controlled situation. There was never a point at which I was anywhere even close to any flames....
View Quote

Oh, the humanity! Ban electric cars! For the children!!!

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Key point.

"This experience does not in any way make me think that the Tesla Model S is an unsafe car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat"
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
lol the dude sounds like Tesla got to him in time! Free Teslas for the whole family!

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course he would have died if he was in anything other than the Tesla.....

$122,000 (that includes the $7500 federal subsidy) for a maxed out Tesla S...for fucks sake

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
How many other cars burn to the ground when they hit an object in the road?   out of  
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit a trailer hitch laying in the road and it damaged something, leading to the fire.  Certainly not the hyped "Tesla burst into flames without explanation!" news stories that have been in the media.  Guess there may need to be an engineering review to see where skid plates are needed to prevent future repeats of this sort of incident.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many other cars burn to the ground when they hit an object in the road?   out of  
View Quote

Quite-a-few thousand every year, actually.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd still drive a Tesla if I could afford one. Yeah, it's all electric, but it has a range of 270 miles. It would be perfect for trips around town. Longer drives can be made when Tesla finishes the quick charge stations on the interstate system.

Apparently most luxury car makers are losing customers to Tesla. Tesla just needs to reinforce the battery pack and they should be good to go.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd still drive a Tesla if I could afford one. Yeah, it's all electric, but it has a range of 270 miles. It would be perfect for trips around town. Longer drives can be made when Tesla finishes the quick charge stations on the interstate system.

Apparently most luxury car makers are losing customers to Tesla. Tesla just needs to reinforce the battery pack and they should be good to go.
View Quote

Good news is it would be very easy to swap them out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would guess 10's of thousand internal combustion cars have caught fire after hitting an object in the road. I would guess hundreds of thousands of IC cars world wide have caught fire. What's your point?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. It's hilarious that Tesla is getting all of the focus.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I like this part.

My assistant later found a gouge in the tarmac where the item scraped into the road.
View Quote

When I visited the Tesla show room, I thought the assistant upgrade package was a ripoff.  You couldnt pick if you wanted a female or a male one.  

God forbid the low proletariat is mentioned by name.

Sounds about right for a Tesla owner.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Of course he would have died if he was in anything other than the Tesla.....

$122,000 (that includes the $7500 federal subsidy) for a maxed out Tesla S...for fucks sake

View Quote

For that kind of money, an Audi RS7 would be calling my name.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted the stats in the last Tesla bashing thread,  but some people don't want facts to get in their way.  Hitting a 45 or 50 pound object in the road at 70 mph is going to fuck any car up.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I posted the stats in the last Tesla bashing thread,  but some people don't want facts to get in their way.  Hitting a 45 or 50 pound object in the road at 70 mph is going to fuck any car up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I still had the pictures somewhere from a Jeep forum where a guy took a downed sapling through the firewall and nearly lost his balls.  While offroading.  Not exactly highway speeds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Key point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Key point.

"This experience does not in any way make me think that the Tesla Model S is an unsafe car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat"
What if it locked him in the car? he may have changed his mind.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like this part.

When I visited the Tesla show room, I thought the assistant upgrade package was a ripoff.  You couldnt pick if you wanted a female or a male one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I like this part.

My assistant later found a gouge in the tarmac where the item scraped into the road.

Seriously? Who the fuck cares if he's rich?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Key point.

Have there been issues of Tesla Model S' locking people in?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I had a van burn to the ground for no apparent reason whatsoever.  Caught fire driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles on I-15.  Flames started coming through the floor so we pulled off to the side and bailed out.  A few minutes later it was a hollow shell.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing like driving a coal powered car?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Key point.

No
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]

A Tesla starts in the high 60k range.  Quite affordable to about 20% of the population considering a F250 Diesel can top 55k easily.  The National Fire Protection Association said U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 152,300 car fires per year between 2006 and 2010.  Elon Musk is a genius, he will figure it out.  Tesla sold more luxury cars in California last month than any other luxury brand.  Period.  

And no, I'm not a tree hugger.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I was driving home from work one evening, 3 or 4 cars behind a Porsche 911.  It started smoking badly and came to a stop several hundred feet past where I noticed the smoking start.  The driver jumped out as five feet flames burst from just behind the passenger compartment.  This was on PCH northbound in Santa Monica.  The smoking started in the McClure tunnel and the driver barely got out of the tunnel before the flames appeared.

I wouldn't object to owning a 911  or a Tesla Model S.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Key point.

Nope. He even popped the doors open with the keyfob when the firefighters were about to pry the doors open.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#25]
good for him, my Toyota won't catch fire though after hitting a  rusty three-pronged trailer hitch
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The majority of car fires are electrical, so most catch fire from hitting absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would guess 10's of thousand internal combustion cars have caught fire after hitting an object in the road. I would guess hundreds of thousands of IC cars world wide have caught fire. What's your point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have replaced tires, rims, a radiator, a grill, and got dinged out  bumpers, and got a crease in an oil pan. Not once have I had an object on the road cause my cars or truck to burst into flames.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was driving home from work one evening, 3 or 4 cars behind a Porsche 911.  It started smoking badly and came to a stop several hundred feet past where I noticed the smoking start.  The driver jumped out as five feet flames burst from just behind the passenger compartment.  This was on PCH northbound in Santa Monica.  The smoking started in the McClure tunnel and the driver barely got out of the tunnel before the flames appeared.

I wouldn't object to owning a 911  or a Tesla Model S.
View Quote

Number of 911s sold to 911 burned? Number of Teslas sold to burned?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I am a firm believer the the Model S is not just the best electric car, but quite simply, it is the best car on the road today. Driving one redefines what you think a car can be. It is unfortunate that they are so expensive, and out of reach of most people, but the same can be said for its rivals (Audi A8, BMW M5, Panamara, ect.)
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hit a trailer hitch laying in the road and it damaged something, leading to the fire.  Certainly not the hyped "Tesla burst into flames without explanation!" news stories that have been in the media.  Guess there may need to be an engineering review to see where skid plates are needed to prevent future repeats of this sort of incident.
View Quote

I have read that the battery is protected with a 1/4 inch steel plate under it. Not sure what more you could ask for. Gas tanks are plastic or thin metal and don't have any protection.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pro-tip: Nobody (well, almost nobody) that's buying a Model S gives a shit about saving the environment. It's a REALLY nice car, regardless of how it's powered.

And hell yeah, I'd love me a coal fired Model S, if I could afford it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hit a raised sewer cover in my 73 Gran Torino at 50mph. Nearly stopped the car and it sounded like I was hit by a torpedo.
It scratched the front crossmember. That was it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]
The important thing is, the car warned him there was trouble. My grandfathers BMW X5 didn't give him ~2 minutes warning before it burst into flame and burned him while he tried to escape the flames, it just burst into flames.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A Tesla starts in the high 60k range.  Quite affordable to about 20% of the population considering a F250 Diesel can top 55k easily.  The National Fire Protection Association said U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 152,300 car fires per year between 2006 and 2010.  Elon Musk is a genius, he will figure it out.  Tesla sold more luxury cars in California last month than any other luxury brand.  Period.  

View Quote

Yep, I'm no tree hugger either, but I'd like a Tesla as well. Luxury car makers are very afraid of Tesla at this point in time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no tree hugger, but you'll come to know Tesla motors in the future. If they can get the pricing down watch out. Look at their latest sales and compare them to other luxury cars.

I don't care what you use to produce the electricity to charge the thing. Coal, natural gas, or nuclear plants. Tesla is made in the USA and it's cars are powered by electricity generated in the USA from our own fuel resources.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep, I'm no tree hugger either, but I'd like a Tesla as well. Luxury car makers are very afraid of Tesla at this point in time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're reliable, and other than tires they need no maintenance.  What's not to love? Compare that to a range rover or comparably equipped BMW...

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm no tree hugger, but you'll come to know Tesla motors in the future. If they can get the pricing down watch out. Look at their latest sales and compare them to other luxury cars.

I don't care what you use to produce the electricity to charge the thing. Coal, natural gas, or nuclear plants. Tesla is made in the USA and it's cars are powered by electricity generated in the USA from our own fuel resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why these stories are making big news, cant have a successful american company putting .gov motors in the ditch.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which is why these stories are making big news, cant have a successful american company putting .gov motors in the ditch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Tesla has done what no other car company has been able to do at this point in time. I bet GM loses money on the Volt. I'd like to see money GM spent developing the Volt and what Tesla spent on the Model S. I know Tesla took out a government loan, but they've paid it back. Apples to Apples comparison in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my Ferrari last year

and the year before that

and my Lambo

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to own an '96 Vette in 2000, I hit a huge big rig tire at night, it pushed the front up and dislodged the drivetrain and transmission housing. It cost over 5k to fix, but I had a $200 deductible. It was no Tesla S, the fucker almost killed me when I was stuck in the middle of the freeway at night without power.

Here's a picture of it when I was visiting relatives, I miss it. It had a ProCharger, headers/exhaust,and a modified LT4.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#42]
How many cars out there will tell you that you need to pull over because 'shit's broke, yo!' ???
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like this part.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I like this part.

Rich guy owns an expensive car. Shocking.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Google the good doctor. Interesting dude.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The important thing is, the car warned him there was trouble. My grandfathers BMW X5 didn't give him ~2 minutes warning before it burst into flame and burned him while he tried to escape the flames, it just burst into flames.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And for those of us that can't afford a car with triple redundant sensors in every facet of the car, we'd have the same experience as your grandfather in an electric car.

Quoted:
How many cars out there will tell you that you need to pull over because 'shit's broke, yo!' ???

Of modern ones?

Most of them.  The check engine light is not intended to be small talk.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

good for him, my Toyota won't catch fire though after hitting a  rusty three-pronged trailer hitch
View Quote
My dad has an interesting tale of a Mecedes hitting a trailer hitch on the U.S. 60 during mid morning traffic.  The trailer hitch flew up into the vehicle's undercarriage and tagged the air bag sensor housing....a one in a trillion shot...and deployed the airbag while the car was moving.

THAT HAD TO MAKE SOMEONE CRAP THEIR PANTS!!!

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#48]
At least the NTSB had to wait 2 weeks after they crashed a Volt and parked it before it caught fire because they did not unhook the batteries afterwards.

Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
At least the NTSB had to wait 2 weeks after they crashed a Volt and parked it before it caught fire because they did not unhook the batteries afterwards.

Just sayin'.

View Quote

Isn't that worse?  Get in a fender bender, park the car, and it randomly burns your fucking house down one night?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brother-in-laws million $ motorhome burned to the ground a few years ago after running over a mattress that fell off a truck in front of him.  Most modern vehicles have pressurized fuel lines underneath that when damaged cause not so pleasant things to happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top