Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2013 5:58:36 PM EDT
That was the first thing I thought about when I got to my site the other day.

I showed up to put a block foundation up and the footers that were poured the day prior (not by me) had caved in and flooded.

This is what it looked like after shoveling all the dirt back out, I still had to bail muddy water before we could even think of starting to lay up the leads.

I think every kid should have to do a job like that a few times before deciding what they want to do after high school, would probably make for some more motivated college students.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Where's the generator and sump pump?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where's the generator and sump pump?
View Quote

At Walmart with the pressure washer.

I usually don't trench pour my footers, I over dig both sides and form them up, so it typically is a non issue for me. I didn't put these ones in though, I just showed up to lay up the block.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Well our completion date hasn't changed so you're now behind schedule!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well our completion date hasn't changed so you're now behind schedule!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
pump
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think every kid should have to do a job like that a few times before deciding what they want to do after high school, would probably make for some more motivated college students.
View Quote

BTDT, got the tee shirt.  I framed houses during the last year of high school (late 60's) and I've been there many, many times.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Where did you get the truck you hauled the concrete blocks in?

Your Ford dealer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Dirty jobs was an awesome show, one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your Ford dealer.
View Quote

Haul?

I get that shit delivered.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Haul?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Ford dealer.

Haul?

Mike Rowe does a lot of the ford commercials.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Ford dealer.

Haul?

I do drive a Ford
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do drive a Ford
View Quote

And where did that truck come from?

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
To hell with that noise.  Time to quit, boy!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/tSslOPbSKMg/hqdefault.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do drive a Ford

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/tSslOPbSKMg/hqdefault.jpg

You can get one at your local ford dealer
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To hell with that noise.  Time to quit, boy!
View Quote

I got nowhere else to go.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I showed up to put a block foundation up and the footers that were poured the day prior (not by me) had caved in and flooded.

This is what it looked like after shoveling all the dirt back out, I still had to bail muddy water before we could even think of starting to lay up the leads.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u576/sitdwnandhngon/temporary_zpsc613247a.jpg

View Quote

My Dad was a Mason for over 50 years. Been there, done that.

Edit;

I loved the work, but he convinced me to take up another career path. He was probably right.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I realize you weren't really asking, but Mike is actually up to some very cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#18]
What a Lovely Canal there in New York
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate November, it is still warm enough to keep working, but shitty enough so you don't want to.

I got up and did a few estimates and other small inside stuff this morning, now I am waiting for my dad so we can go pick up a site and move to the next one. I keep getting calls too, it amazes me that people are incapable of calling during the nice  months to schedule a job, and then winter hits and they freak out because it needs to get done "right now"
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I realize you weren't really asking, but Mike is actually up to some very cool stuff.
View Quote

Yup, saw the story because of his appearance on Glen Beck's show, and all the butthurt that ensued after.  I really like the idea behind MikeRoweWorks and getting more people into the technical field.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks familiar.  We work all winter in those conditions though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I hate November, it is still warm enough to keep working, but shitty enough so you don't want to.

I got up and did a few estimates and other small inside stuff this morning, now I am waiting for my dad so we can go pick up a site and move to the next one. I keep getting calls too, it amazes me that people are incapable of calling during the nice  months to schedule a job, and then winter hits and they freak out because it needs to get done "right now"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to any service industry job ever.  My one goal in my career is to have a large enough customer base that I don't have to take rush jobs anymore, and maybe even have a waiting list.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u576/sitdwnandhngon/temporary_zpsc613247a.jpg

View Quote

Did block/brick work in the '80's..motivated me to go back to school (nothing against it, just working in the summer on a slab of white cement in Orlando tossing blocks is a rough way to make $$)
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did block/brick work in the '80's..motivated me to go back to school (nothing against it, just working in the summer on a slab of white cement in Orlando tossing blocks is a rough way to make $$)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had some epic battles with concrete and stucco up here in the summer, I can't even imagine being in FL in August trying to do the same stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top