Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2013 4:50:01 PM EDT
I particularly find the Rhodesian Bush war fascinating the more I read about it. There are so many interesting factors and interesting characters in this war yet I find myself reading and just not quite understanding what actually was going from either side. Are there any good books on the subject from reputable writers or those that were there. IMO most of the books I see look like they are written by some secret squirrel "mercenary" type poser. I also wonder why there are not more photos or video I mean I haven't found a single documentary on the subject but I have seen a few mentioned. That being said I understand there was quite a bit of censorship with the war and a lot maybe just didn't get out. I would love to see a good documentary on the people who played key roles and the men who stood up and how they were able to scrape a formidable army by anyone's standards with scraps from wherever School me GD and please throw out a GOOD documentary or Book!

Oh and FBHO.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Start here I reckon.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rhodesian+bushwar&sm=3
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought it is less documented because it is considered a "politically incorrect" war.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always thought it is less documented because it is considered a "politically incorrect" war.
View Quote

I can see that for sure. Still though you would imagine there would be more out there considering so many people from so many countries were involved.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can see that for sure. Still though you would imagine there would be more out there considering so many people from so many countries were involved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only people I have met who have given praise to the Rhodesian forces are some South African immigrants I encountered at a bar.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They seem to have a nice dag.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
There's  great read called The Bush War in Rhodisia, by Dennis Croukamp. It's his story of fighting with the Rhodisian Selous Scouts, I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bush-Rhodesia-Extraordinary-Reconnaissance/dp/1581606141

Edit to add: It also has a ton of pictures he took.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Research the Nyadzonya raid when you get a chance. Fascinating stuff.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

A great read.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Mugabe sucks...lets slot floppies!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Who wears short shorts?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Go here and register:  www.newrhodesian.net/?
forum with a lot of real-deal members.

I got interested when I ordered some surplus parts for an L1A1. I got a trigger guard with some of the Rhody baby poop camo paint still on it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Growing up in Miami public schools in 80's and 90's, I never even heard a mention of Rhodesia.  I've read a little here and there, but the Rhodesia Unafriad videos shed some serious light.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
The Elite by Barbra Cole. If you can find it...
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur!   My two (new) girls:

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember the ads at the time.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Communists won after they played the race card. Then they started the same shit in SA. As a result communist terrorists ran both countries and ran them into the ground. As late as the 2000s the fucking president of South Africa did not believe that AIDS was caused by HIV and thought it was the result of poverty. Acting on his backwards tribalism he actively denied the distribution of AIDS drugs and instead pushed toxic quack bullshit in a country with over 6 million AIDS cases. Fuck be upon all of them.

ETA:

Fuck Nelson Mandela

Fuck Thabo Mbeki

Fuck Robert Mugabe

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Communists won after they played the race card. Then they started the same shit in SA. As a result communist terrorists ran both countries and ran them into the ground. As late as the 2000s the fucking president of South Africa did not believe that AIDS was caused by HIV and thought it was the result of poverty. Acting on his backwards tribalism he actively denied the distribution of AIDS drugs and instead pushed toxic quack bullshit in a country with over 6 million AIDS cases. Fuck be upon all of them.

ETA:

Fuck Nelson Mandela

Fuck Thabo Mbeki

Fuck Robert Mugabe

View Quote
Actually I am sorry to say this but the Carter Admin along with the UK sold Rhodesia out....The UK makes a lil more sense but after UDI the British govt was considering invading Rhodesia to reestablish control....And probably giving it over....In the end the Brits could not stomach fighting their fellow country men and a invasion never happened.

It was outsider politics that destroyed Rhodesia....Do I think the Rhodesians could have carried on if they didn't have sanctions & outside interference? Yes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur!   My two (new) girls:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/20131117_115707-1_zps12a855d7.jpg

Beauties!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]
A small country besieged by fucktard wannabe Communists under the guise of "equality". Rhodesia had white rule but was preparing to phase it out in favor of majority rule/voting rights for everyone and then ZANLA and ZANU-PF happened. (At least, that's my understanding of it- I've read FireForce and Out of Action so far, with Selous Scouts on the way and I plan on reading some others.

As far as events go, what happened there makes my blood boil when I think about it. One of the most productive, if not THE most productive country in Africa as far as agriculture goes, and a place where one could raise a family, but it was destroyed by some fucking mook who thought that he could do better (and the result was crashing Rhodesia/Zimbabwe into the fucking ground nose first.)
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#25]

That's all I got for now.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
BEAUTIFUL FAL!!!  I remember in a european history class in HS, we had gotten to the colonial era and the teacher had his colonial map of Africa up on the wall, I saw this little spot in SE Africa labled "southern Rhodesia"  and I asked aloud, "What happened to Rhodesia?  I haven't heard of that country."  The teacher heard me, gave me a look and completely ignored my question and no mention of Rhodesia was made in class at all during that section.  

The African Bush Wars have since then become a hobby/passion of mine and I read all the books I can on them.  The story of Rhodesia is sad, tragic and apparently inevitable. I find South Africa to be fascinating in its own right,  They stared down Cuba, the USSR and their proxies in Namibia and elsewher, fought them to a standstill, outlasted them and only lost because of the international pressure against Apartheid.  Fascinating histories that are just not covered.  Top notch military hardware and technology as well as training and discipline.  Focking Kak!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you!

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Growing up in Miami public schools in 80's and 90's, I never even heard a mention of Rhodesia.  I've read a little here and there, but the Rhodesia Unafriad videos shed some serious light.
View Quote

Same for me, had all liberal democrat teachers all the way through, no way they would teach us the truth, so they obviously just buried it.  Never heard about Rhodesia and what really happened, until I found this website. Thanks to everyone here interested in this topic and posting over the years.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
A thorough discussion of their weapon of choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZyYDikOto

The Rhodesians did not have any left-handed citizens
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

They had the Cool Camo before Multicam................
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#31]
This may be of interest if you're as fascinated about their history and military as I am. (and a sly way for me to thread bump... )
http://smallwarsjournal.com/documents/rhodesian-cover-or-drake-shooting.pdf
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A small country besieged by fucktard wannabe Communists under the guise of "equality". Rhodesia had white rule but was preparing to phase it out in favor of majority rule/voting rights for everyone and then ZANLA and ZANU-PF happened. (At least, that's my understanding of it- I've read FireForce and Out of Action so far, with Selous Scouts on the way and I plan on reading some others.

As far as events go, what happened there makes my blood boil when I think about it. One of the most productive, if not THE most productive country in Africa as far as agriculture goes, and a place where one could raise a family, but it was destroyed by some fucking mook who thought that he could do better (and the result was crashing Rhodesia/Zimbabwe into the fucking ground nose first.)
View Quote

THIS. The breadbasket of Africa. Well, used to be.

As a previous poster said the US & UK shunned them and let the commies win.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to know a woman who's family lost their land during that war. She was a young girl during it and told me stories of her father and brother walking around fully armed and would give arms and ammo to the black farm workers that stayed with them.

I wish I didn't loose contact with her as I would love to off gotten copy's of the pictures she showed me, but she moved back to the U.K. to be by the rest of her family.

I will always remember in her bedroom she had a flag hanging in it and a map and pictures of her family's land.

I was just a dumb young kid in my late teens and early 20's and she was in her late 30's early 40's and we had fun when she wasn't teaching me history of the region.
One thing I will never forget is the story she told me about hearing gunfire and some of their farm workers then bringing the body of their friend and laying it on the kitchen table and that there was nothing they could do.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A thorough discussion of their weapon of choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZyYDikOto  

The Rhodesians did not have any left-handed citizens
View Quote

That had a bad ass bipod!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#35]
TAG to learn more myself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Look for "Top Secret War" by Ron Reid Daley.

Bought my copy at the airport bookstore in Johannesburg on the way back from a hunt in Zimbabwe in '99.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Well shit. That picture just cost me $42. One of those shirts for me, and a B-52 shirt for a buddy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#38]
They really made that place better didn't they
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

There's  great read called The Bush War in Rhodisia, by Dennis Croukamp. It's his story of fighting with the Rhodisian Selous Scouts, I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bush-Rhodesia-Extraordinary-Reconnaissance/dp/1581606141

Edit to add: It also has a ton of pictures he took.

View Quote
Thanks, just downloaded it to my kindle.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you!
Indeed.....thank you very much

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top