Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
I know everyone says they had AR-15s and AKs, but on all the photos I've found they employed a variety of bolt-actions, O/U shotguns and handguns. There was one guy with an M-1 carbine, a guy with a Tec-9, and someone with a Daewoo.

So what were really the weapons of the Korean community in LA riots?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Big, home-made slingshots.

Yep. Lots of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen SKSs in abundance

ETA- Guess I had selective memory...

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Sticky rice balls filled with gunpowder.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Mostly shotguns and bolt action rifles.

But there were PLENTY of AKs, Daewoos and other semi-autos too. The problem is alot of those photos have been lost to time.

If memory serves me right, the korean lady that shot that black girl 300+yds away had something like a remmy 700. Most of the handguns I've seen were high-capacity ones (Glocks, 5906s , BHPs, Barettas).

Edit - Here's a photo, guy closest to camera has a mini-14.

Daewoo

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder who they voted for?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there any info on successful thwarting of break ins or theft? Or is all that off the books for obvious reasons?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
On the topic of the LA riots, here's a black store owner who confronts kids breaking into his store with a hammer :D

Poor guy....

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
NEVER take a hammer to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess the closer you've been to the whole Dictator thing, the more you take personal responsibility of your own security.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there any info on successful thwarting of break ins or theft? Or is all that off the books for obvious reasons?
View Quote

IIRC they held off the looters until the police came and made them leave, assuring them that they would protect their stores.  The stores were looted and burned within hours.  At least that is my recollection, I am getting old and I may be mistaken.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

IIRC they held off the looters until the police came and made them leave, assuring them that they would protect their stores.  The stores were looted and burned within hours.  At least that is my recollection, I am getting old and I may be mistaken.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On the topic of the LA riots, here's a black store owner who confronts kids breaking into his store with a hammer :D

Poor guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SOwK6L5-mk
View Quote

A few real Americans there, too. How very sad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
My dad bought an 18", pistol grip Winnie 1300 Defender just for the riots, still has it NIB.  He figured that most of the rioters were too dumb to find the San Fernando Valley if you drew them a map, but he wanted to be a bit more prepared than he was.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
South Korea throws some world-class riots.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#16]
My son was looking over my shoulder when I first started reading this thread.

He asked about the riots and we watched old news clips on Youtube.

It was sad trying to explain this whole thing to my son.....about the law abiding and the lawless....about the productive and the unproductive.....the civilized and the uncivilized.

Some of those newscasters were shockingly ignorant. As the camera showed those brave Korean business owners out there defending their property, those "journalists" were concerned with the weapons. Were they registered? Did those men have licenses for those handguns? Is that an Uzi, Bob?

One ass clown actually said, "I wonder what the police and the National Guard think about this."
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
F**king savages. They were just stealing to steal. They were dragging an old ass band saw down the st. Wtf were they going to do with it get 3$ for scrapping it. I have respect for the Asian community coming together to try to protect what was there's. Cause everyone knows the cops couldn't and didn't.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
F**king savages. They were just stealing to steal. They were dragging an old ass band saw down the st. Wtf were they going to do with it get 3$ for scrapping it. I have respect for the Asian community coming together to try to protect what was there's. Cause everyone knows the cops couldn't and didn't.
View Quote

On that note, watching the footage, I don't recall seeing one Asian looting. Blacks, whites, and Hispanics, all day, but I don't recall seeing Asian looters.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I still think a video game as a Korean shop owner during the riots would be pretty sweet.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are pics take from the San Gabriel mountains that night. Maybe Mt. Wilson. The whole city looked like an inferno. I lived in Long Beach at the time and stores within several blocks of me were looted and burned.  

I have heard several times that the arson targeted Korean business. That is, it was selective and planned by the major black gangs (Crips, Bloods, etc).

Did not read that in the LAT, for sure. Wouldn't support the lefty narrative of random violence.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

On that note, watching the footage, I don't recall seeing one Asian looting. Blacks, whites, and Hispanics, all day, but I don't recall seeing Asian looters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because of Asian dads, dude

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have heard several times that the arson targeted Korean business.

View Quote

Ice Cube fans.

So don’t follow me up and down your market

Or your little chop suey ass will be a target

Of a nationwide boycott.

Juice with the people, that’s what the boy got.

So pay respect to the black fist

Or we’ll burn your store right down to a crisp.

And then we’ll see ya…

‘Cause you can’t turn the ghetto into black Korea.

----"Black Korea" by Ice Cube, from the 1991 album, Death
Certificate.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Look like real Americans to me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ice Cube fans.

Of a nationwide boycott.

And then we’ll see ya…

----"Black Korea" by Ice Cube, from the 1991 album, DeathCertificate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ice Cube fans.

Of a nationwide boycott.

And then we’ll see ya…

And now he is a pitch man for Coors Light.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Blurry 1980's videotape doesn't allow absolute ID, but the handgun one shop owner ran out with and fired at a car of looters with (in a good stance, at that) looked like a K5/DP51. Damn good gun, vast improvement over the S&W it was derived from.

If anyone had a K2, I'd like to see that photo.

ETA: Found its immediate predecessor, at least.

K1A1. Direct impingement, wire stock. Would make an awesome 300 with a suppressor.

Also still in use by ROK, on left.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#26]
It seems like most had shotguns and bolt actions but people holding assault rifles/sub guns were captured on film here and there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRc_FlmW2Jc
Uzi-man on the roof around 2:08

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#27]
ARs were not particularly popular then.

On another note, recall how the media and tv shows attacked Koreans as racist afterwards? There was tension between blacks and Koreans, and the media / news definitly knew which side it was on. The mean. stereotyping Koreans were depicted as ready to shoot down any innocent black child that entered their store.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On another note, recall how the media and tv shows attacked Koreans as racist afterwards? There was tension between blacks and Koreans, and the media / news definitly knew which side it was on. The mean. stereotyping Koreans were depicted as ready to shoot down any innocent black child that entered their store.
View Quote

From what I remember reading about it, shortly before the 1993 Rodney King trial, i think it was the civil trial, the Koreans armed up quite a bit. I remember one of the community leaders saying he had personally bought 5 AK47's just in case they decide to riot again. I remember reading that AK/SKS rifles were pretty popular because they were cheap and readily available at the time, was before the import ban on Chinese guns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

From what I remember reading about it, shortly before the 1993 Rodney King trial, i think it was the civil trial, the Koreans armed up quite a bit. I remember one of the community leaders saying he had personally bought 5 AK47's just in case they decide to riot again. I remember reading that AK/SKS rifles were pretty popular because they were cheap and readily available at the time, was before the import ban on Chinese guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. those were the days of $69 SKS's and $99 AK's from Norinco. Cases of 'em at gun shows.

I never could convince Dad that we should get any.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still think a video game as a Korean shop owner during the riots would be pretty sweet.

View Quote

throw that up on kickstarter
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Scars Remain Five Years After Los Angeles Riots

By Lou Cannon

Special to The Washington Post

Monday, April 28, 1997; Page A04

Korean Americans, many of whom operated convenience markets in poor neighborhoods, suffered nearly as much economic damage in the riots as everyone else combined, an estimated $350 million to $400 million of a total $800 million in losses. By one assessment, 1,867 of 3,100 businesses destroyed or looted were Korean-owned.

View Quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/lariots/lariots.htm

http://iamkoream.com/april-issue-mapping-the-riot-damage-to-korean-run-businesses/

edit - for those interested

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1317220_20_years_ago_today__LA_Riots_.html

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry was referring to the looters

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
A Korean lady shot a black girl from 300 yards away? What happened?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could program games, I could probably kickstart a few.

I can't even do HTML though, coding would probably give me a stroke.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

She was acquitted. Almost caused another riot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If memory serves me right, the korean lady that shot that black girl 300+yds away had something like a remmy 700.  
View Quote

was she prosecuted?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

NEVER take a hammer to a gunfight.
View Quote

this

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

was she prosecuted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If memory serves me right, the korean lady that shot that black girl 300+yds away had something like a remmy 700.  

was she prosecuted?

I think i'm getting my stories crossed.

There was a girl shot by a korean and the Korean was aquitted (I guess one of the reasons that maybe the blacks targeted koreans).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins

There ALSO was a story that I had read a while back about someone on a roof shooting a girl in the head. I need to find it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of this. Where can I find some info?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Poor guy....

View Quote

They should have just told the good people to evacuated and then leveled it. Compensate store owners and been done with it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ice Cube fans.

Of a nationwide boycott.
And then we’ll see ya…

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice Cube fans.

Of a nationwide boycott.
And then we’ll see ya…

and today he is a celebrated actor and treated like a star instead of a thug
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Poor guy....

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Poor guy....

View Quote

1:09 "y'all need to listen to this"

Fallen on deaf ears
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Internet bravado statement:  Target rich environment

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#50]
It appears it wasn't just the Koreans either......

Bet these guys wish they had body armour.... Shot in a gun battle with papa lima's (Possible Looters) protecting their business!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top