ghetto
Thermodynamic + Economics question remains:
. ( where they getting the ICE from ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#2]
GseriesFAL has a DIY channel now?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
That may work well in a dry environment like we have in the western states.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ghetto
View Quote

My thoughts as well. It is an interesting idea, but you still need a source for the coolant. Though I have seen some interesting builds for solar freezers to generate ice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Im thinking 55 gallon drum, go big or go home Doubles as a beer cooler!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well. It is an interesting idea, but you still need a source for the coolant. Though I have seen some interesting builds for solar freezers to generate ice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ghetto

What do they use? Batteries to store the juice and peltiers to cool the water?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ghetto
View Quote

Yeah it still requires somebody/something to make ice with. So you'll be making or buying ice regularly to fill the makeshift airconditioner with.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Swamp cooler would be easier to make at home
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#9]
tag for home
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#10]
i tried something like this when my ac died a couple years ago not very effective at all when it's 100+
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i tried something like this when my ac died a couple years ago not very effective at all when it's 100+

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t384/linkhyrule70/67583924.jpg
View Quote
A bar I worked at had the AC go out one July 4th, the owner went to an Ice house and got 10 big blocks of Ice, he put the extras in the walk in freezer and used 2 at a time, he opened the bottom of the tall unit where the return air goes through, he put the ice in front of the units and it cooled the place down to 75 degrees, better than 95.

I couldn't believe it worked that well.

Got us through the night until the repair guy showed up the next day.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually that would a good idea to have on store for hurricane supplies.  

During the summer when it is hot as hell and a hurricane hits and you are without power for awhile then you could have some cooling as long as the ice jugs in your freezer last, which could be a couple of days.  A couple of days of cooling is better than none at all.

Of course the better idea is to get a small 1000 watt window AC unit in a small bedroom and a small quiet fuel efficient Honda generator to run it and just make sure you have plenty of fuel on hand.That way you could have cooling for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]

it's a cool idea, if you had a solar panel or two you could power the fan.  one thing you could use is a milk jug.  fill it up, freeze it and then use it.  once it metls, freeze again and then use.  you'd just need a way to freeze stuff.  i think this would only work in a small room too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
The energy released from 10lbs of frozen ice is nothing... compared to what it takes to cool the volume of even a small home.  This would be good for blowing direct on a person in a chair, and not be very effective at all at controlling the temp of a room.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Need a solar powered freezer as well!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah it still requires somebody/something to make ice with. So you'll be making or buying ice regularly to fill the makeshift airconditioner with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ghetto

How does the cost of making/buying ice compare to running the AC for 5 hours.  He said his gallon container of ice should last about 5 hours.  You'd of course have to take into account the small area this cools.  
My power bill during the summer is never over $180 during the hottest months.  So that's like $6/day to run the entire house of all needed electricity...2400 Sqft, 2 stories.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Wouldn't it also eventually be putting out a lot of humidity? humidity+heat= sucky
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it also eventually be putting out a lot of humidity? humidity+heat= sucky
View Quote

No.  His ice is contained within a 1 gallon milk jug.  So you're not giving off humidity as the ice melts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ghetto

How to Build a Solar Icemaker

It's a freaking huge contraption and still requires ammonia, but I thought it was pretty 'cool'.

edit: changed link to a full version of the PDF
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t384/linkhyrule70/67583924.jpg
View Quote

Air conditioners are rated in "tons" of cooling capacity.

You would need to melt 2,000 pounds (one ton) of ice every 24 hours in order to produce the same cooling as a 1-ton air conditioner - and that's just 12,000 BTUs.

Most residential air conditioners are considerably larger than 12,000 BTUs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Goes great with the tea light and flowerpot heater.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The energy released from 10lbs of frozen ice is nothing... compared to what it takes to cool the volume of even a small home.  This would be good for blowing direct on a person in a chair, and not be very effective at all at controlling the temp of a room.
View Quote
It would work great in a small tent while camping, they all have ice machines and if not the local stop & rob does.

Get through a sticky nice easy enough

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It may make a small area more bearable for a while, but if the ice is made by a freezer inside of your home, the cooling you get from that A/C will be more than offset by heat created by the freezer - both the heat removed from the water plus waste heat from the motor.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Bah you dont even need the stupid fan...

hang a bucket of ice with a pipe through it from the ceiling

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The term BTU (British thermal unit) Is the amount of heat required to melt 2000# of ice in a 24hr period.

So this is what a 1/225h of a ton of cooling
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ghetto

from the freezer that's always on anyway.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
He aimed the handheld pryometer right through one of the PVC "Ducts" right at the frozen gallon jug and got 43 degrees?

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Con sarn it iPad....
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No.  His ice is contained within a 1 gallon milk jug.  So you're not giving off humidity as the ice melts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. What about the water condensing on the gallon jug?  Swamp coolers no matter how they are made suck when the humidity goes up. They are only effective in arid climates, like Arizona, but during monsoon season they are useless. May as well just have the fan on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes. What about the water condensing on the gallon jug?  Swamp coolers no matter how they are made suck when the humidity goes up. They are only effective in arid climates, like Arizona, but during monsoon season they are useless. May as well just have the fan on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking, the condensation, not the melt.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#31]
i like how he drilled love holes in his homer bucket
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I spent $50 on a used GoldStar wall window mount. Cheaper in the long run.

The thing still runs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#33]
EBT pays for ice, yo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top