Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/20/2014 7:42:23 PM EDT
These seem cheap, but what do you folks think of this?:

I have a hk93 - mainly the reason I'm looking at this. Searching the internets, I see this was available back in 2011 and sold out until now where I see it popping up on a few sites again. Anyone have any experience with these?

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking huge

Good for guard tower type duty trying to spot a million Russian zergrushing your position

Trying to find the ATF sneaking up on your house ?  Not so much
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fucking huge

Good for guard tower type duty trying to spot a million Russian zergrushing your position

Trying to find the ATF sneaking up on your house ?  Not so much
View Quote
How did you know what I will be using this for ?

Yeah it's big and heavy, but don't have $3k for a pvs-14. ~ $600, I will give it a try if it's better than anything at that price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Gen 1??
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy and I bought these a year or two ago and they worked great !! Came with 3 separate mounts for different weapon systems and run on standard "C" size batteries. Picture has some barely noticeable graining when in use. IIRC it's like 3 gen one tubes in series so each tube is amplifying the output of the previous tube giving it about gen 2 quality. The mounts alone are worth at least half the price of the entire package. Zeroed mine to my FAL, though mine didn't come with a user's manual I found one in English out at the KCR MG shoot for $20 IIRC. Search the web for cheapest pricing then get SPG to price match so if anything is wrong you have their return guarantee...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Gen 1??
View Quote

yeah, the technology is technically gen 1, but then I hear reviews claiming gen 2 image quality...

2 C batteries
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A buddy and I bought these a year or two ago and they worked great !! Came with 3 separate mounts for different weapon systems and run on standard "C" size batteries. Picture has some barely noticeable graining when in use. IIRC it's like 3 gen one tubes in series so each tube is amplifying the output of the previous tube giving it about gen 2 quality. The mounts alone are worth at least half the price of the entire package. Zeroed mine to my FAL, though mine didn't come with a user's manual I found one in English out at the KCR MG shoot for $20 IIRC. Search the web for cheapest pricing then get SPG to price match so if anything is wrong you have their return guarantee...
View Quote
Thanks for the input. I only found this on Copes and Sportsmanguide... Everywhere else they seem to have been out of stock for years and really no discussion since then.

The fact it's one of the rare things that actually mounts directly to my 93, intrigued me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get one.... focus adjustment is fucking key to getting as clear an image as the unit is capable of delivering. Once I got mine dial in I had no problem picking out images at 300 yds. Check for some online pics thru the unit... it will surprise you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you get one.... focus adjustment is fucking key to getting as clear an image as the unit is capable of delivering. Once I got mine dial in I had no problem picking out images at 300 yds. Check for some online pics thru the unit... it will surprise you.
View Quote

Ok, wtf...ordered. Should be interesting scanning for coyotes, if nothing else
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! I'd be interested to see a review once you get it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Are these the scopes that put 3 gen1 tubes in a row to get a gen2 quality picture?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
buy once cry once the diff between gen3 pvs-14 and cheap shit IS NIGHT AND DAY

gen 1/2 your better off with a decent flashlight ...that said check the EE for some GEN1 shit I am getting rid of LOL

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
That really isn't bad image quality.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I searched around on these and found claims they are 4.5x magnified and do not work with an illuminator .  They are interesting
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
One concern I have is that it doesn't give a date when they're made. These could apparently be, according to writing elsewhere, refurbs from the 70's up to barely used units from the 1990's.

Quoted:
View Quote

SPG?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One concern I have is that it doesn't give a date when they're made. These could apparently be, according to writing elsewhere, refurbs from the 70's up to barely used units from the 1990's.

SPG?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SPG?

SportsmansGuide
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

SportsmansGuide
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SPG?

SportsmansGuide

Ha. No. If they ever bother to ship, I'd have to replace a credit card again because someone at their payment processor compromised mine the last time I ever ordered from them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe it's a Gen1 cascade arrangement. Outstanding image quality for the price but you pay a huge weight penalty for it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I believe it's a Gen1 cascade arrangement. Outstanding image quality for the price but you pay a huge weight penalty for it.
View Quote

pro tip

here is the deal

get something with a head mount gen 2+ and this :

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lasermax-uni-max-lasersight-47935.html

You will thank me later

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That really isn't bad image quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iNf6ffHndE
View Quote

Where are the crosshairs?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

That helps with NV on a 7.62 battle rifle how? That's what OP is talking about, (though 5,56) and that's my interest. Putting something on a FAL that won't be screwed up by recoil.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That helps with NV on a 7.62 battle rifle how? That's what OP is talking about, and that's my interest. Putting something on a FAL that won't be screwed up by recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

That helps with NV on a 7.62 battle rifle how? That's what OP is talking about, and that's my interest. Putting something on a FAL that won't be screwed up by recoil.

well for starters you will have a helmet/head mounted NOD and a nice blinking dot where the bullets go as opposed to a heavy ass single purpose device ....
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

Cool protip brah.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine is a great unit. I put an arms qd mount on it.

It has a really clear image that provides a lot of detail. I would say the quality is almost as good as a pvs-4.

The included mounts will not work on a picatinny rail, so you need a picatinny stanag mount.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

well for starters you will have a helmet/head mounted NOD and a nice blinking dot where the bullets go as opposed to a heavy ass single purpose device ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

Yes, well, I'm thinking more putting down coyotes, not so much urban warfare.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

Cool protip brah.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/86PlymouthQuest/100_0542_zpsb12e3326.jpg

whats the nod there ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmm..gonna have to look into these.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

whats the nod there ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lasermax-uni-max-lasersight-47935.htmlu

You will thank me later

Cool protip brah.

whats the nod there ?

Pulsar plated tube in a third party housing. Somewhere between modern gen 1+ and older gen 2. Better image than gen 1 but more ir dependent than modern gen 2+. past around 50 yards. Much wider field of view than older units but not quite gen 3 level.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Okay, ordered one. I'd been looking for some sort of NV, yeah, it's heavy, but it's going on a G1 FAL. I've always been pleased with the quality of German gear, I'll see how well it works.

Apparently not good with flaring light sources, but there's no streetlights here. I just remember how pitch black it was after the 2008 ice storm wiped out all the power for weeks, just enough moonlight for one of these, likely. Can't hurt to have one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#29]
If I had the cash, I'd get one for my CETME.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I seem to remember reading that these things actually have a shelf life?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I have one.  It's big and heavy.  Mine wouldnt focus out far enough and I found online where you can loosen the set screws and move the adjustment knob so it will adjust further.  I achieved this, but then I broke the dayshade, and I have to remove the batteries to get it to turn off.

Anyone know how to fix this? LOL
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pro tip

here is the deal

You will thank me later

Cool protip brah.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Is Copes GTG? I seem to remember an outfit mentioned here on ARFCOM that was fairly big but had a bad reputation. Not saying that its Copes, just curious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#35]
sold out
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I just picked one up from Cope's, had some extra cash and was curious. Paid $10 for hand select.

Haven't got to really test out in a big open space but  it seems like it does what it does WELL for the price. A PVS-14 can't take .308 recoil but I'm sure
the visuals are far superior, just like premium handloads are far far FAR better than TULA, but TULA is far far better than NO AMMO.

Not my vid but helped me decide. I heard these have a 1k hour lifespan, hope the Germans didn't train TOO much.
GREAT VID OF RINGING STEEL @275 WITH ZEISS ORION

PS mine makes a quiet, hi-pitched whining noise, is that normal?

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just picked one up from Cope's, had some extra cash and was curious. Paid $10 for hand select.

Haven't got to really test out in a big open space but  it seems like it does what it does WELL for the price. A PVS-14 can't take .308 recoil but I'm sure
the visuals are far superior, just like premium handloads are far far FAR better than TULA, but TULA is far far better than NO AMMO.

Not my vid but helped me decide. I heard these have a 1k hour lifespan, hope the Germans didn't train TOO much.

View Quote

That's fairly common. You can hear it in his video too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm impressed by what it can do for the money. Scanning the blacked out silhouette of the neighborhood treeline, I can see everything- no way a ninja
is going to hide up there. Dark silhouette of nearby houses become clear pictures of cable lines, brackets, TV dishes, etc. Built like a tank.

(My fixed mag PTR, must be disassembled to remove 10-round mag)

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#39]
These Zeiss NV scopes are the best bang for the buck on the market IMO. I have one on my HK and use it on my C93 sometimes. They work pretty good. There are several youtube vids on these as well if you want to see how they work at night. Here's a pic of mine mounted on the HK in the middle (thats a Hensoldt Z24 scope laying in front of it too BTW.):

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't let the price fool you. Just as the Hensoldt scopes that were originally sold for $450 here are really more like $800 scopes quality-wise, I've seen a lot
of reviews by people comparing these Zeiss Orions to $1200-$1400 Gen II scopes with a few advantages (never owned anything else so I can't say.)

Yes, Ideally one would have a hi-end AR with a $3000 NV unit on it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#41]
So ITAR doesn't work both ways...
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So ITAR doesn't work both ways...
View Quote

And you think this why?  ITARS doesn't stop imports and exports of items on the Munitions List, it regulates, licenses, and places duties on them.

Had to be imported on a DSP-5 (probably not a Form 6).

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

So after 1k hours they are no good? Can you order replacement parts to extend this lifespan?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Can one really use the word "cheap" (w/o preceeding it with NOT) to describe anything Zeiss?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Please tell me where I can obtain a tripod like that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Out of stock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's the lightweight Stepanov tripod for the PKM.    Mine came with my PKM.

Try Google or Gunbroker.  Apex Gun Parts has a damaged one for $325.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Out of stock.
View Quote

Since the last batch came in 2011 and was jumped on, I figured I better jump on these. Hopefully more will come in. I will post my impressions of it, view of otherwise black NH woods, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Update, just got mine.

The case has expected transit wear, but is in great shape. Inside, though?

Everything is there, and...

It is brand freaking new, I doubt it was ever used outside at all. It even smells new. 1991 date of manufacture.

It works, too. It's too windy out, or I'd take it outside and try it out. I am VERY pleased!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top