Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]

SHTF quite regularly. Anyone who doesn't prep for a week without access to food and fuel is foolish IMO.

Total breakdown of society / Doomsday / TEOTWAWKI? Not so much.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you carry any sort of insurance? Why? Are you planning on something bad happening? That could never happen. You're wasting your money.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont worry about it, I think its pointless. If it comes on a major scale, the preps I could realistically gather wouldnt last long enough to significantly affect my outcome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did Sandy and Irene. No power for at least a week. Hasn't changed my view and my lack of prep.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in a hurricane state. SHTF is likely every summer.
I did Sandy and Irene. No power for at least a week. Hasn't changed my view and my lack of prep.  

Different locales, but you'd probably feel differently if you did the 2 months that I did with no power, communications, or running water in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

It took me 4.5 hours to get to my parent's home to make sure they were OK after the storm started easing.  They were 14 miles away.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd imagine many people preparing for SHTF become gunowners if they weren't already and the mindset of people who are gunowners is more towards preparedness.
View Quote

It is your personal choice, but not having enough spare food and water for a week at the least is foolish. Natural disasters and all of that. I became a gun owner just after I started prepping. Like a month after a couple years ago.

Quoted:
I don't consider myself a prepper, but my wife and I have several months of extended storage emergency food in addition to what is in our pantry, which is quite a bit.  We also have equipment for filtering, treating, and storing water.  Other random stuff includes cook stove, white fuel, candles, matches, KI tablets, N95 masks, crank radio, solar chargers, first aid/medical gear, and whatever else I am forgetting...in addition to standard hunting, fishing, and camping gear.

I don't expect to ever need most of it, but it's worth $500 or so to me to have enough to take care of my family for several months (at least) if the food trucks stop coming, the power fails, and/or water stops coming out of the tap.  We get a storm around here and the grocery store is cleaned out in a day.  What happens when a dirty bomb goes off in DC...20 miles east of us?

We started setting up this supply after talking about how much money goes through our hands each month and how little it would take to be better prepared.  Good luck buying this stuff in the unlikely event that the shit does actually HTF.  Our gear will not be for sale.  As someone else said, it's just like having an insurance policy.  You don't buy it thinking you'll need it.
View Quote

Got news for you.. you are a prepper
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
After the April 2011 Tornadoes in Alabama, I discovered my neighbors didn't believe in prepping for SHTF either.  One had NO food in her house for she and her child, none at all, she always ate fast food.  She also had almost no gas in her car and was about to go trying to siphon some from someone else (so she could drive around looking for someone that would take credit cards).
Another family down stairs had no way to cook the food in their refrigerator that was going to go bad, no cash, no gas...
In the end I provided food and fuel for all of them and turned what would have been panic and train wreck into a very warm community event... which bought lots of good will and help later on.  Why?  Because I was prepared on at least some level for SHTF.   And I prepare for some level of SHTF because some is always happening somewhere, and you may not get much of a head's up when it's coming to your neighborhood.  Your preparedness might just make an important difference for yourself and others.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, not everyone is going to make it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After the April 2011 Tornadoes in Alabama, I discovered my neighbors didn't believe in prepping for SHTF either.  One had NO food in her house for she and her child, none at all, she always ate fast food.  She also had almost no gas in her car and was about to go trying to siphon some from someone else (so she could drive around looking for someone that would take credit cards).

Another family down stairs had no way to cook the food in their refrigerator that was going to go bad, no cash, no gas...

In the end I provided food and fuel for all of them and turned what would have been panic and train wreck into a very warm community event... which bought lots of good will and help later on.  Why?  Because I was prepared on at least some level for SHTF.   And I prepare for some level of SHTF because some is always happening somewhere, and you may not get much of a head's up when it's coming to your neighborhood.  Your preparedness might just make an important difference for yourself and others.

View Quote

On the other hand, I know two separate people from the Joplin tornado who were somewhat of preppers, stocked extra food and water and such. All gone when the tornadoes hit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I fired up my grill and my smoker and fed half the damn neighborhood, just to keep some of my frozen food from going to waste.  Even baked some biscuits on the smoker and they were damn good!  While I don't really consider myself a "prepper", I do consider myself "prepared".  Could have easily gone another week without power given the amount of food products I keep on hand.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]
... I don't obsess, but I do keep a couple years of long term storage food on hand
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in earthquake country, so I have supplies set aside to go a couple of weeks without power and trips to the grocery store.
Doesn't take much, some food, some water, genset, few gas cans, extra propane for the BBQ. Also keep a small amount of cash money around in case banks are not accessible and credit card processing isnt happening.  Since camping is a hobby, many of the things we have for a weekend trip to the desert can be pressed into service to make life more tolerable at home should a disaster strike.

I also have a get home bag in my work truck. I work ~30 miles from home, traffic is awful on a normal day, much less the standstill it would be if roads were damaged or impassable.

I was always somewhat preparedness minded, even before I became a gun owner.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Depends on what you mean by prepared?

If you can't survive a week or two without going to the supermarket, living without power for a few day,  then yes you should be doing more.

View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm just in it for the (to be) harem of former soccer moms and coeds who will service me for protection and supplies.
View Quote

they call me Kildar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh some people will need to die...no fucks given

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I prepare for SHTF.

Not...war SHTF...

More along the lines of...

Trains go through my hometown all the time...

A train could wreck..spill some dumb chemical....and we won't be able to use tap water for a week or two...

Or...

Power goes for for a few days....for whatever reason...

You know...

Shit that happens in other towns..but you think could never happen to you...

So I am not that guy going to Wal Mart buying all the bottled water/bread when something stupid happens.
View Quote

This.

SHTF happens every day.  Houses burn down, people lose jobs, ice storms, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., etc., etc.

Prepare for this, and you are fairly well prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

Prepare only for the zombie apocalypse and you are likely fucked for anything else.

Three months worth of "preps" for a Katrina level incident is a not terribly expensive, or space/time consuming.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]
guns are power.  the power to decide that something will die.  some people who like guns seek this and other forms power.  they recognize that if they have power, they can control their own lives.  preparing for shtf is an attempt to maintain control over your own life in the event that the social structure around you deteriorates.

there are other forms of power.  money is one.  the fidelity of other humans is another and is also the greatest.  this is the riddle of steel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The shit will hit the fan.  It's not if, but when....

When the ultimate, nastiest shit hits the fan, you'd better be prepared.

Not that it will really matter all that much, but it may gain you a couple of extra days of breathing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what did you do without power? Food prep? Heat?

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't prep for SHTF but I prep for if/when the electricity goes out.  Used to happen often at the house I lived in before so I got in the habit of always having jugs of water around.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Always be prepared!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Assuming it's just you and not a family of 8  - a couple hundred bucks at Costco could have you set for months.  Rice, beans, canned foods, camp stove, water source.  Doesn't have to be expensive.

Keep some cash on hand.  Refill the gas tank when it gets to 1/3rd instead of empty..

Never let the beer supply fall below 2 cases per person.

Simple stuff really.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Depends on your definition of SHTF.
View Quote

What he said  ^

At a very minimum, if you're not prepared to look after yourself for at least some period of time, then you're pretty much a moron.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Has any one bought land for shtf?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

It's like driving on a two-lane road. Everyone faster than you is a damn fool, and everyone slower is blocking traffic.

I keep enough food around for a couple-three weeks because a natural disaster could easily take out resupply for that long. I'm not trying to survive Mad Max. I think the people with only a day's extra ramen are foolish.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I think people go about prepping all wrong.  They invest most of their money in the least likely to occur SHTF events.

An education/job skills that you can get a job anywhere in the world in the time it takes HR to fill out the paper work should be priority number one.  If you really want to "prep" invest in a job/education that gives you true security.  

Enough savings to get you through one year of living expenses with no income should be priority number two.  These two will get you through 90% of all SHTF scenarios.

Add an emergency car bag, a month of fresh water, food, batteries, generator, candles, etc, will get you through 99% of your probable SHTF's.

Add a CCW, Rifle, and Shotgun with a couple hundred rounds of ammo and some proficiency will get you through 99.999% of probable SHTF's

The ultra slick high speed low drag gear, tricked out rifles, carbine course, ammo forts etc, are for that .001%.  Nothing wrong with enjoying them but justifying them as needed for SHTF is pretty silly.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have auto insurance - in case something bad happens

You have fire/flood insurance - in case something bad happens

You have health insurance........... in case something bad happens

You have life insurance........

Why would you not have some supplies?  - in case something bad happens.

If you are buying a missile silo that might be a little over the top, but having a few supplies, food, ammo, gas, etc is just being prudent and is akin to any other insurance type.

Always have a plan B
View Quote

No, I have auto insurance because the state mandates it.  It's cheaper to pay the premium (extorsion) than it is to pay a fine should I get pulled over.  The only times I have been in an accident was when a deer decided to head butt my car's grill at night.  Twice.  Yes, insurance paid for it both times.  I took the money and did the repairs myself.

I have house insurance because my mortgage makes me.  It's actually theirs, they let me live there until I stop making payments.

I also don't wear my seat belt.  I turn up the stereo to drown out the that damn DING! DING! DING! reminder.

Back when Blockbuster rented VHS movies, I'd return them without rewinding them.

Yeah, I am a rebel like that...out there living on the edge.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#30]
What I prep for is the Cascadia fault buckling and the destruction that will follow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's even worse, I live on Long Island. Pretty much the only way off the island is through the biggest terrorist target in the world. We couldn't even evacuate if we wanted as the roads would turn into a massive parking lot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I lived in NY I wouldn't bother prepping either. You're pretty much fucked no matter what.
It's even worse, I live on Long Island. Pretty much the only way off the island is through the biggest terrorist target in the world. We couldn't even evacuate if we wanted as the roads would turn into a massive parking lot.  

Just about any major urban area will gridlock.  Prepping doesn't mean bugging out.  For most people bugging out isn't practical.  For some here it's the wet dream of choice.

So you prep for staying put.

In my case, I just went through 3 days of pretty potent reminders that we have earthquakes around.  (less than a mile from the epicenter of all of them)  We've re-arranged a few things.  Brought back some egress tools into the bedroom from whence they had migrated.  Crowbar, etc.  Thinking of getting a FU-BAR or two.. The automatic gas shut-off valve works.  The re-set instructions had faded off but the internet took care of that for printing replacement for the bins.   Memory was good and I remembered after 20+ years how to re-set
I have 2 55 gallon drums of drinking water, around two weeks of food, propane, camp stoves, tent trailer, tents, etc.  we used to go family tent camping now we have the trailer.  A lot of our prep supplies are in there.  We use and replace.  

Our neighbor has a pool.  Can't drink it, but it's 25 kgal of flushing and cleaning water

Next project will be solar panels and a proper controller for the deep cycle batteries on the trailer.

Do I prepare for masses of FSA minors coming down the street?  umm, no

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe have a canoe or some other small water craft, a small sail boat.

Wow.

Think, try it sometime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I lived in NY I wouldn't bother prepping either. You're pretty much fucked no matter what.

Wow.

Think, try it sometime.

Where would he go??  Connecticut, New Jersey or out to sea?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Think, try it sometime.

SHTF doesn't usually mean EVERYWHERE is totally slogged down and wrecked.
In many instances just going 5 miles puts you out of the disaster zone.

Ride your canoe along the shore.
You can easily paddle 15 miles if you are moderately trying.
Come ashore, whip out your wallet and cell phone and call
a limo to pick you up to drive you to the Hyatt. Order room
service and watch cable TV while you surf arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That's always been in the back of my mind. I have years and years of sailing experience.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's always been in the back of my mind. I have years and years of sailing experience.    

On the flip side I almost got myself killed, and had two helicopters sent up on a kayaking adventure gone wrong.

Because you weren't prepared.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Are we talking a porno?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Michelle / Hillary 2016?
Are we talking a porno?  

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#36]
You should at least have a few days water/food stored up in case power's out for a while.

Probably warm clothing/cheap surplus wool blankets for winter, maybe a gennie for storm power outs plus some fuel with stabilizer.

Not everyone can afford true "EOTWAWKI" preps, but you CAN prepare for realistic scenarios.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm ready for SHTF.  I've got my outfit picked out already.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Depends on what you mean by prepared?

If you can't survive a week or two without going to the supermarket, living without power for a few day,  then yes you should be doing more.

View Quote

Yep, at a minimum.

Only a fool doesn't prepare for likely hiccups in the road.

Do you need an armory, a bunker, and 2 years of food and water, tank traps and concertina wire surrounding your compound? Probably not.

Is it wise to have the basics of human existence covered for a few weeks or more, depending on your budget? I'd say yes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

My brother lives in Manhattan and was properly fucked after that big hurricane. Zero preps and he'd always eschewed any such thought. He never realized how precarious life and supply lines can be.

The next Christmas, I put together a pack with the essentials for a few days, including a crank radio/phone charger. He was very appreciative and has at least seen a little bit of the light.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a wife or children?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Give us an AAR on your experience.  Then we'll see if you were really prepared or just the luckiest guy on the planet.  Either way works out the same in the end.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres no shortage of humans. Go die in peace.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoeleather express.
Boat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
do you carry a toolbox in your trunk?

if so, you're a prepper--it's just a matter of degree.
View Quote

The same could be said about a CCW, pocket knife, smart phone and AAA.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been without power for 7+ days during an ice storm. That's the only "shtf" I plan to tackle. All the mad max bs is pure fringe lunatics.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

+1

But that's where all the fun is. Remember when you were a kid and used to build forts? Who wouldn't want their own fortified bunker?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Like others it depends on what SHTF means to you.  I live in a earthquake zone that has the potential for a biggie.  I have just enough to get my family through the aftermath of a big rattle and roller.  Anything less is irresponsible as a father and anything more frankly is heading towards paranoiaville, a place I don't feel like living.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

terminally stupid

Fitting
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fuck no I dont prep, I study at the Marauders School of Apex predators, got my single shot 12 gauge and home made body armor ready.
Now bow to my wolf stare while I try to not smile!!!!

http://media.thenewstribune.com/smedia/2014/01/15/13/45/1pLnHN.AuSt.5.JPG
View Quote

Hide your dag
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#50]
OP gonna starve to death when SHTF!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top