Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/6/2014 8:51:36 AM EDT
Do you all carry revolvers on an empty chamber? If I'm carrying my 1911 I carry cocked and locked.
If I carry my Sig 938 I carry with an empty chamber, because I carry it in my pocket. Just trying to
expand my understanding of why some do some don't. Rock on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If trouble finds you, I pray it finds you when you're carrying the 1911.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
One in the chamber always on all guns, just because I haven't figured out a way to put two in there yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you all carry revolvers on an empty chamber?
View Quote

This hasn't been relevant since the Single Action Army was superseded by well made double action revolvers.  So about 80 years now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
OP IS DRUNK/HIGH/GHEY.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not unless it was an authentic SAA I wouldn't.  Carrying on an empty chamber with a revolver is a holdover from the pre transfer bar days.  With a modern revolver, there's no point in doing so.

Your Sig has a manual safety.  Put it in a good pocket holster, put the safety on, and carry it with a round in the chamber.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This hasn't been relevant since the Single Action Army was superseded by well made double action revolvers.  So about 80 years now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to roll up a $1 bill and stuff it inside that empty chamber!

That way, if you miss you can still pay the undertaker for a Christian burial.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you all carry revolvers on an empty chamber? If I'm carrying my 1911 I carry cocked and locked.
If I carry my Sig 938 I carry with an empty chamber, because I carry it in my pocket. Just trying to
View Quote

Why would anyone do this with a modern revolver?  

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I own a NAA .22 Magnum mini-revolver.  If I were to carry it, yes, it would be with an empty chamber.  Same for my single action army clone.

Other than those 2, fill the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP asks about revolvers:

Attempts to make a qualifying statement about a COMPLETELY different gun, a Colt Automatic Pistol:

And then goes on to describe his own 'pocket-carry' automatic pistol:

What in the blue waffle is your point?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]
In a high stress situation you are likely to have a bit more difficulty with skills that require fine motor control.

Racking the slide is more of a fine motor control skill than just thumbing the safety off, aiming, and squeezing the trigger.

If it's truly a SHFT situation you don't have TIME to fuck with the mechanisms on your gun.   If you need to do that, you are

gambling your very life against the possibility that you might fumble the loading part and give your opponent the time he needs to win.

If THAT moment comes to your life,  you will be in the best possible position if all you have to do is draw, aim, and fire.  ANY additional tasks

that you have to perform as part of that process will reduce your odds of achieving a favorable outcome.

Carrying a revolver with the hammer down over an empty chamber is fine.  That's a safe way to do it.  When you draw and squeeze the trigger (Double action)

then it'll work.  

But on a semi,  you need to carry with one in the chamber and get used to it.   But don't carry a semi pistol in that condition unless it's also in a holster that

prevents accidental manipulation of the safety and trigger.    

General George Patton once had an AD in his own home with a 1911 while carrying in the "Mexican carry" style.   Which is cocked and locked but without a holster.  

He never quite trusted the 1911 after that incident, even though he considered it to be a good gun.  A good gun that needs to be carried in a holster if carried

with one in the chamber.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Racking the slide is more of a fine motor control skill than just thumbing the safety off, aiming, and squeezing the trigger.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Israeli carry is one thing, but I have never heard of anybody doing it with a revolver.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]

I'll never understand the unchambered crowd.  Your life, your choice...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#19]
A troll post from an 06'er with over 5000 post's WTF ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#20]
An unloaded gun isn't useful for what is is designed for. Not having one chambered = unloaded.

Why bother carrying one then?

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#21]
5 beans in the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A troll post from an 06'er with over 5000 post's WTF ?
View Quote

It was a fun attempt to create some Sunday head explosions. I do really carry my 938 as described.
It is my backup gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#23]
One day, if you need that unchambered pistolo, the other guy with the gun on you isn't going to wait that extra .5 seconds it will take for you to unholster it and rack the slide. Boom. You're dead.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I carry a Taurus 605. One in each chamber. For one, the firing pin CANNOT contact the primer unless the trigger has reached it's rear travel limit. The trigger assembly lifts the firing pin into place, so for 99.99999% of the time the firing pin isn't anywhere near a live round. For another reason, the revolver I carry only holds five rounds as it is. No way would I limit myself further.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't understand the question.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't understand the question.
View Quote

He's trying to be a troll, and not doing it very well.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Thats just dumb
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I carry a Taurus 605. One in each chamber. For one, the firing pin CANNOT contact the primer unless the trigger has reached it's rear travel limit. The trigger assembly lifts the firing pin into place, so for 99.99999% of the time the firing pin isn't anywhere near a live round. For another reason, the revolver I carry only holds five rounds as it is. No way would I limit myself further.
View Quote

Good response, thanks. I was bored with all the current threads, and thought you
All might want to explain some of the reasoning to the younger less knowledgable
members. However I read an article in Guns & Ammo, or some such magazine
where they did a timing evaluation based on one in the chamber vs. one not in the
chamber. It was less that a half second difference. Many people will forget to deactivate
the safety in times of stress. Just having a discussion. The revolver bit was bait.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I took a pistol course a couple of years ago and unloaded chambers were part of that discussion.  The instructor said his opinion was that with revolvers it was a throw back to the old Colt SAA's and the two screw Rugers of the 50's and early 60's.  On semi autos his opinion was the demand by the general shooting public for lighter and shorter trigger pulls (he actually said target triggers) on semi autos has made more than a few people leery about carrying them with one in the chamber.  A 4-6 pound trigger pull and a holster that fits correctly (protects the trigger) are more than adequate for a self defense semi auto and in the hands of a attentive  shooter present no problem.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Single action revolvers? Yes. Everything else I carry one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I always carry with a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If trouble finds you, I pray it finds you when you're carrying the 1911.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Only if it's my Colt SAA
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One in the chamber always on all guns, just because I haven't figured out a way to put two in there yet.
View Quote

And that
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't have a revolver for carry.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I own a NAA .22 Magnum mini-revolver.  If I were to carry it, yes, it would be with an empty chamber.  Same for my single action army clone.

View Quote

You should read the manual for the NAA... There are carry slots for the hammer to rest between the chambers to safely allow a full cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I own a NAA .22 Magnum mini-revolver.  If I were to carry it, yes, it would be with an empty chamber.
View Quote

Uh, don't those have a safety notches between each cylinder hole so you can carry it hammer down but not on a round? YES.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why?

You know that they're designed with a notch between the cylinders, for the hammer to rest safely away from any primers? So that you don't have to leave a chamber empty?

You knew about the safety features on a gun you own, right?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#39]
My Smith and Wesson bodyguard 380 rides in my back pocket in a holster that looks like a wallet any time I can't carry my bigger guns. It has a safety, but I never use it. The double action only trigger pull is very long and heavy. With the holster I feel 100 percent confident and I sit on it all the time with a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#40]
OP -  "Hold on, let me chamber a round"
PERP-  "BANG"
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol
LOL back at you.   It is for the reason that it (generally) requires two hands and you have to do it correctly.   Short rack it and you don't have a bullet in the chamber.

We're talking about functioning in a critical, high stress situation.    Keeping your task list short and simple in this situation is HIGHLY advisable.
Pulling out your pistol, aiming, and squeezing the trigger only to remember "Oh fuck, I forgot to rack the slide!" is a BAD thing, mmkay?  Particularly when

you're REALLY not in a position where you can afford time consuming mistakes ike that.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Fully loaded and loaded and locked.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#44]
 Why?

You know that they're designed with a notch between the cylinders, for the hammer to rest safely away from any primers? So that you don't have to leave a chamber empty?

You knew about the safety features on a gun you own, right?  
View Quote

I know all about the notches.  I simply don't trust them.

I have tried carrying it with the hammer resting in a notch.  Later, I discovered it had slipped out of the notch, and was resting on the rim of a live cartridge.  Once was enough, a sharp blow to the hammer, or dropping it could have lead to an AD.

Reading about a safety feature in a manual is one thing.  Actually using it can be another.  Hammer down on an empty chamber is much safer than the so called "safety notch".

Maybe it was a one in a million occurrence, but it happened.  Doesn't take much to pull the hammer back far enough for the cylinder to rotate.  It was in a pocket holster when this happened.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not unless it was an authentic SAA I wouldn't.  Carrying on an empty chamber with a revolver is a holdover from the pre transfer bar days.  With a modern revolver, there's no point in doing so.

Your Sig has a manual safety.  Put it in a good pocket holster, put the safety on, and carry it with a round in the chamber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your post has about a seventy year technology gap. Transfer bar don't enter into it, unless we're strictly discussing single actions - millions of revolvers have hammer mounted firing pins that are perfectly safe to carry fully loaded.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your post has about a seventy year technology gap. Transfer bar don't enter into it, unless we're strictly discussing single actions - millions of revolvers have hammer mounted firing pins that are perfectly safe to carry fully loaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor explanation on my part.  I was thinking specifically of the Ruger SAA clones there, but didn't say so.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Every S&W revolver made in the past 100+ years is safe to carry with a full cylinder

WTF
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good response, thanks. I was bored with all the current threads, and thought you
All might want to explain some of the reasoning to the younger less knowledgable
where they did a timing evaluation based on one in the chamber vs. one not in the
chamber. It was less that a half second difference.
Many people will forget to deactivate
the safety in times of stress. Just having a discussion. The revolver bit was bait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

chamber. It was less that a half second difference.
Many people will forget to deactivate

That works when the aggressor is 15 yards away clearly expressing his intentions...
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP IS DRUNK/HIGH/GHEY.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Poor explanation on my part.  I was thinking specifically of the Ruger SAA clones there, but didn't say so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. Some people believe, and will espouse as fact, that any revolver with a hammer mounted pin is unsafe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

I even remember someone here who encountered a guy who thought it was an unsafe practice with any revolver - and thus carried only four rounds in his 642.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top