Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2014 7:37:43 PM EDT

Criticizing "Game of Thrones,” it turns out, is about as thankless a task as criticizing Ron Paul. Somebody has to do it, but be prepared to get an earful from legions of angry and fanatical supporters.

What I find particularly annoying about "Game of Thrones” fans is that they have been pampered by universal praise from highbrow critics—which in my book is a sure-fire sign that you’re on the wrong track—so they can’t imagine anyone could possibly dislike the show. If you do dislike it, they become belligerently defensive and feel free to impugn your integrity, claiming that you could not possibly have even watched the show, so you’re basically faking your review. (More on that in a moment.)

But then after a week of this sort of thing, "Game of Thrones” serves up an episode in which this happens. Let’s just say that if it were an episode of "Friends,” it would be titled, "The One Where the Guy Rapes His Sister Next to the Corpse of Their Murdered Child.”

Really, at this point "Game of Thrones” has descended into self-parody, because that is exactly the kind of scene a satirist might have invented to mock the show’s promiscuous lust for shock value.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Dragon Boobies!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Um, that's what makes it a thoroughly entertaining show.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So don't watch it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
GOT is F wording awesome
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Never seen it, but knowing HBO the author is probably spot-on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone just did this same thread.

*not a GOT fan

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And even more entertaining books. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I only watched the entire first episode because it was at a get-together of friends, it had no appeal to me whatsoever.  It's carefully manufactured trash for the dull witted masses.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm currently on book 5 and i cant watch the show because of how weird/bad i see it as. TV/movie adaptations almost always suck compared to the original

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The Lanisters are the bad guys for fuck sake.  Bad guys do all kinds of depraved shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Be that it may, what's depicted in GOT is pretty much par for the course throughout history (War of the Roses comes to mind, any numbers of Chinese dynasties, Ottoman and Byzantine empires, no doubt repleted with beheading and castration aplenty.  More modern examples would be War of Austrian Succession, War of Spanish Succession, and Franco-Prussian War)

without the dragons, of course.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I only watched the entire first episode because it was at a get-together of friends, it had no appeal to me whatsoever.  It's carefully manufactured trash for the dull witted masses.
View Quote

Curious.....what in your mind constitutes quality cinema? Is there anything that is made for TV or any movie that is made specifically for smart people like you?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]
you mean a show with rape and murder has rape and murders

game of thrones fucking ownnnnnsssssss
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
All it takes is a little rape to piss off pajama boy/liberal critics?  Seems a bit too easy.

Needs more rape!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
boobies!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't imagine having such an uneducated worldview. I don't watch the show, but it takes someone seriously ignorant of history to not realize mindless violence is a part of humanity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Be that it may, what's depicted in GOT is pretty much par for the course throughout history (War of the Roses comes to mind, any numbers of Chinese dynasties, Ottoman and Byzantine empires, no doubt repleted with beheading and castration aplenty.  More modern examples would be War of Austrian Succession, War of Spanish Succession, and Franco-Prussian War)

View Quote

Wait.   You mean to tell me that someone who criticizes a TV show would have no clue about history or human nature?  

Game of Thrones.   Pissing off more liberals and getting more attention than the 40+ murders in one weekend in Chicago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
All women say "No" at first unless you are paying them.  People are making too much of that scene.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What I find particularly annoying about "Game of Thrones” fans is that they have been pampered by universal praise from highbrow critics—which in my book is a sure-fire sign that you’re on the wrong track

View Quote

Wait, you wrote a book?!?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a reason why Martin condenses a lot of striking examples happening over hundreds of years into everyday events in a small timeframe: the vast majority of life in the Middle Ages (including warfare) was relatively tedious and boring.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/137363/kelly-devries/game-of-thrones-as-history

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to see the little Stark girl turn into a mass murderer with the Hound and then see the dragon girl riding her dragon nude while burning the seven kingdoms to the ground.  I set my DVD to record every episode on the free HBO weekend Game of Thrones marathon.  I then watched the first 3 seasons non-stop.  I'd never seen it before.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't have any interested in it.  People eat poop then lick the taint of hollywood asking for seconds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wait.   You mean to tell me that someone who criticizes a TV show would have no clue about history or human nature?  

Game of Thrones.   Pissing off more liberals and getting more attention than the 40+ murders in one weekend in Chicago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I wouldn't (and didn't) say that.  However, those who think the kinds of violence depicted exist only in TV for the debasement of viewers' minds are ignorant of history.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I didn't have any interested in it.  People eat poop then lick the taint of hollywood asking for seconds.
View Quote

Engrish motha flocker......do you speak it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#26]
That clearly tells me they Cant read a book.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All women say "No" at first unless you are paying them.  People are making too much of that scene.
View Quote

No.

Waits 5 seconds.

how about now?

Repeat till yes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
anyone going to see the Warcraft movie in 2016?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#29]
In the time it took to write that article, the author could have changed the channel 37,428 times.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

anyone going to see the Warcraft movie in 2016?
View Quote
I'm holding off watching video game movies until they make one about PacMan or Q*Bert.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I happen to like the show a lot. There are several sub plots going on all the time. Not just one thing ........ Now I've been called a lot of things in my life. But I have to say that Dull Witted, was never one of them

You need to get off your high horse. You don't sound like a Happy_Camper.
You sound more like a narrow minded snob. That knows what is best for everyone. Or thinks he does. Democrat by chance?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I happen to like the show a lot. There are several sub plots going on all the time. Not just one thing ........ Now I've been called a lot of things in my life. But I have to say that Dull Witted, was never one of them

You sound more like a narrow minded snob. That knows what is best for everyone. Or thinks he does. Democrat by chance?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't like the TV shows you like = Must be a Democrat
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Curious.....what in your mind constitutes quality cinema? Is there anything that is made for TV or any movie that is made specifically for smart people like you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, do tell.  I would love to know what the enlightened Happy_Camper thinks of as having artistic merit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

War of the Roses is part of the source material Martin used, as well as Hadrian's Wall, The Black Dinner, The Glencoe Massacre, and several other items from medieval history.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Now I wouldn't (and didn't) say that.  However, those who think the kinds of violence depicted exist only in TV for the debasement of viewers' minds are ignorant of history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being sarcastic.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, do tell.  I would love to know what the enlightened Happy_Camper thinks of as having artistic merit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or read his bestselling fantasy series
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I found the show boring and quit watching it.

I think the author of the article is right on some points and wrong on some others, at least the part I read, because that article was boring too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#39]
One of the ER docs told me the books were great.  So, like a dimwit, I bought all 4 on my kindle.

I forced myself to read them because I paid for them.  But they were just depressing.

Well written? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. Disturbing and depressing?  Absolutely.  I would never watch the series. I am too busy repressing the memories of the book.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, like a dimwit, I bought all 4 on my kindle.
View Quote

Oh.... there's more than the four you have read.  But keep trying to forget, if that is what brings you peace.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Choke yourself internet television interviewer man.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I think these commentators don't like GoT because there is no one there that is a liberal.

No social movement to the Left = no redeeming social value = they are not interested = they think you shouldn't be interested, either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO Democrats want to control everything/ I didn't like this part. "It's carefully manufactured trash for the dull witted masses
Who is he to judge.
I don't care what he chooses to watch
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm sure the left and right both hate it because it shows how manipulative politicians really are...

Brilliant show though. I'll RARELY watch a show like this, but GoT sucked me in and hasn't let go. As soon as I saw an episode I watched the first three seasons then read all of the books.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Sons of Guns. It has guns and stuff
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I have yet to watch the show.  I'll hold out 5 or 6 years until the first season shows up on Netflix.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't say he doesn't like the show......he said its carefully manufactured trash for dull witted idiots.

By proxy, if you enjoy watching the series, you are a dull witted idiot.

Judging someone because they have a different opinion than you.......being intolerant and making condescending blanket statements based on opinion, not fact? Being an elitist snob?

Very Democrat..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Never seen it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Just started watching it tonight
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#49]
And here I was, thinking it was only a TV show, produced to make money and entertain and not necessary serve as a measure of moral or social values.

Silly me.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I think most of the people here complaining about this reviewer didn't actually read the whole article.

I watched a few episodes, because everybody told me to.  To be truthful, the only thing that really caught me was the intro.  But then, I don't like the fantasy genre at all.  Adding boobs and excessive violence doesn't really change that for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top