Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same to be said for Conservation Officers/Game Wardens.  Here in Mi, they look like storm troopers(bloused pants, green BDU type uniform).  I like the Wardens show in Wy/Mt.  They wear blue jeans, carhart type vests, regular hunter type gun belts(usually with colt type 1911s!), and their attitude is similar, kind of like, Lets see if we can do this legally vs I gotcha!
View Quote
Class A's(on right)

Utilities

If your going to be tromping through the woods all day, personally I think the utility uniform makes much more sense.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Class A's(on right)

http://i.imgur.com/W7zzUlT.jpg

Utilities

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/283666_10150945420938016_1836001704_n.jpg

If your going to be tromping through the woods all day, personally I think the utility uniform makes much more sense.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same to be said for Conservation Officers/Game Wardens.  Here in Mi, they look like storm troopers(bloused pants, green BDU type uniform).  I like the Wardens show in Wy/Mt.  They wear blue jeans, carhart type vests, regular hunter type gun belts(usually with colt type 1911s!), and their attitude is similar, kind of like, Lets see if we can do this legally vs I gotcha!
Class A's(on right)

Utilities

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/283666_10150945420938016_1836001704_n.jpg

Of course, and beyond the color and addition of the evil cargo pockets is no different than what most LEOs wear.  They are not BDUs and make perfect sense. They need to blouse those boots though.  I hate pants tucked into boots.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
AST have BearCat's and all kinds of JBT gear, it's simply the difference between extreme rural vs urban environment.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]

LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

As for the 2 state troopers who just lost their lives, RIP.  I have respect for these guys, they have a dangerous job up there.  It doesn't look like alot of slapdicks slip through the cracks in a work environment like Alaska State Troopers...these guys all seem squared away and professional from what I gather....

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2011/02/12/22/5824358.100716.original.aurora_standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg
View Quote

Having lived in Fairbanks for two years...   And worked with a few of those guys...   I would have to agree 100%
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always had good interactions with Troopers, including Fish and Game, all over the state.

They are good people.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AST have BearCat's and all kinds of JBT gear, it's simply the difference between extreme rural vs urban environment.
View Quote

And they don't role out the Bearcat while suited up like they are going to retake Fallujah to serve a warrant for unpaid library fees.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disagree. AST are fine policemen and the distinction isn't simply a matter of terrain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?
View Quote

Stop. They're having an Andy Griffith circle jerk

Gr
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I had to take a wild ass guess as to why AST are so professional and community driven (besides the fact that they are professionals and community driven), I would say it is because they need the communities support if things go bad. LEOs a lot of the lower 48 have backup available within minutes, their backup is hours or even days away. You would really not want to piss off the people who will be rushing to your aid when shit gets out of hand.
View Quote

I am going to go with this as a large part of the reason the AST act the way they do.

I have a couple friends who are retired police officers - one was a game warden. They both passed on the same sense that not having backup immediately available 15/20/30 years ago caused them to act in a more self preservational way than many of the departments nowadays because now there are plenty of additional officers to come to their aid. There are some departments around here, and I'm sure in a lot of other places, that won't even complete a routine traffic stop unless there are  2 squad cars on the scene.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:24:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gr

I've been consistent here in not caring about pocket count etc. it's an attitude problem that bothers me.

I had a cop tell me last year after he accused me of being a burglar that I was walking on the proper side of the street so he "can't" give me a ticket.  What did he gain in return for earning my distrust? Or is he not even alert enough to know what he has done?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]

You do realize that is their SRT team right. And their response WAS warranted. The 2 troopers killed were the ONLY troopers in Tanana. The call Fairbanks AST got from the VPSO was a frantic both troopers are shot and killed and the shooter is still at large with no more information. Do you expect random onesies and twosies to come strolling in with a known killer at large that doesnt give two fucks if you're in a uniform or not.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the OP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]
This article should be a testament of how well regarded our troopers are when you get a few thousand people out to pay respect in a town that only has a few thousand people to begin with its a pretty big deal.

http://www.newsminer.com/thousands-pay-respects-as-bodies-of-slain-alaska-state-troopers/article_cf3db166-d345-11e3-9a46-0017a43b2370.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Our Troopers are awesome!!

one encounter I had trooper pulled me over for no seat belt he asked for my current registration

conversation as follows

mdw: well I can not do that i'm sure you noticed it's expired

AST: yes I did is there a reason for that?

mdw: nope I have no excuse I know it's expired, due to lazy procrastination I just didnt renew

AST: ok well expired tags carry a $115.00 fine and 2 points on your license, no seat belt is a $15.00 fine no points

mdw: ok fair enough

AST: this is what I'm gonna do, if you go get your tags I;ll just give you a verbal warning, but I am gonna issue you a citation for no seat belt

mdw: wow! seriously! Thanks!!!

trooper prints out the ticket comes back hands it to me, says have a nice day I say likewise and be safe, and thanks again on the tag warning
View Quote

That trooper just bought a truckload of good will, because not only was it a big deal to you, you were a big blabbermouth and surely told your friends, family, and now the entire internet.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was watching an episode last night where they were at a call of a man with a gun. They arrived on scene and proceeded to talk to the guy that was shooting off rounds from his AR15 from inside his house.
They managed to wait him out until he sobered up, and he walked out of his house and they calmly walked him to one of their cruisers and took him to jail.
No SWAT teams, no burning down his house, no shots fired by the Troopers, no dog pile and ripping his arms out of socket trying to cuff him, no "STOP RESISTING" while they are beating his head in.  It was refreshing to watch really.
View Quote

It's a great show.  They do seem to have a knack for diffusing a tense situation, rather than escalating and increasing tension.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been consistent here in not caring about pocket count etc. it's an attitude problem that bothers me.

I had a cop tell me last year after he accused me of being a burglar that I was walking on the proper side of the street so he "can't" give me a ticket.  What did he gain in return for earning my distrust? Or is he not even alert enough to know what he has done?
View Quote

Precisely. Attitude is everything.

I once had a CSPT pull me over and insist that I was drinking and driving. I know exactly what happened, too. The car in front of me peeled out as he was leaving a store to beat oncoming traffic. By the time I got on the road, the trooper was behind me and pulled me over, thinking I was the guy that left a little rubber on the road (I was in a 5.0 Mustang). He spent five minutes doing everything he could to either find booze in the car or get me to confess I was drinking. Finally, I broke the ARFCOM cardinal rule and snickered to him, "tell you what, you hop in here and I'll HELP you look for it."

What's interesting is as soon as I said that, he took my reg and DL and went back to his cruiser and after a good, long wait, came back with a ticket for unnecessary noise.

There's even more to that story, but I don't want anyone to think I'm making it up, so you get the Reader's Digest version.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Class A's(on right)

Utilities

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Class A's(on right)

Utilities

Is it a Michigan requirement that all LEO's have to have fucking shaved heads?

This has become a very disturbing trend.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
AST's are LEO in what is arguably the wild wild west. They have a different mentality and respect for the job that anyone in the lower 49 could never have without actually living it.
View Quote

And I would say that respect is gained through the environment. You can't be all billy bad ass when your are miles away from backup. There needs to be a bit of professionalism, and respect since you won't be just flexing your badge for compliance. A lot of that "Because I said so" goes out the window when your respect is the difference in how the situation goes down.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I had to take a wild ass guess as to why AST are so professional and community driven (besides the fact that they are professionals and community driven), I would say it is because they need the communities support if things go bad. LEOs a lot of the lower 48 have backup available within minutes, their backup is hours or even days away. You would really not want to piss off the people who will be rushing to your aid when shit gets out of hand.
View Quote

Point exactly x10000

When the gov fear the people = liberty
When the people fear the gov = tyranny

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't know if it's SOP but I don't agree with the disarming of people who are legally carrying in order to run the gun's serial number that they've showed on the program.
View Quote

Not SOP, but it does happen, IIRC state law says you are required to surrender it to them if requested and you do have to inform, I never bothered to see if it said anything about them being able to run it, and in two decades I never had it happen, but I did have several friends have it happen, though generally they did something stupid on contact didn't inform, were evasive, or had a flurry of movement in the cab before the Trooper got to the window.

Troopers dress is sharp other than the silly hats, they have all the "militarized" individual crap, I don't think they've got any MRAPs yet, and many of them drag it out at every opportunity. A great many of them are very unprofessional in their actions, some are truly great people, the wildlife officers always seemed like the better branch to me. I have more interactions with Troopers than any other LEA except the one I do service work for now. Overall I'd say they're more committed to the job than most, overzealous seems fitting. Use of force gets excessive often, and very rarely did I see any effort put into de-escalating situations. I don't mean to paint with too broad of a brush they're not all bad or JBTs, but don't believe everything you see on tv.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#24]
It's very refreshing to see a police force that doesn't feel the need to implement a heard of storm troopers using gestapo like tactics.  

When I see all those other wannabe JBT's, I lose complete respect for them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If the laws of your society requires an army of heavily armed men kicking in doors, shooting dogs, and throwing your ass in a MRAP, your society fucked up the creation and implementation of laws.

View Quote

It seems they want them though.
http://articles.ktuu.com/2013-03-20/tactical-vehicles_37881945
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn this place acts like 99% of cops are dressed like Delta Force.  Mainly because you search out photos of guns and gear with your grubby little dick beaters fantasizing about how awesome you are going to be next time you interact with a cop.  Pretty much makes a lot here sound no different than the professionally offended.  Womg militarization...

Bonus if they get cake before a shift they have to use 200% more jack boot to work off the calories.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Having visited Alaska and met some of the people I would think that a lot of it has to do with the citizens. A higher percentage of people would rather handle things themselves. They want to be left alone. Don't need someone hand holding every move and don't cry and whine to 911 if mcdonalds doesn't have chicken nuggets

This in turn allows the police to do the job they were meant to.

Some states are worse some are better but I do think it can be a direct reflection of what the citizens will allow. Something tells me that what goes on in New York or LA police departments would not be tolerated in many areas of Alaska by the people living there.

It makes a difference when the people are all armed, self reliant, and don't need a babysitter.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Having visited Alaska and met some of the people I would think that a lot of it has to do with the citizens. A higher percentage of people would rather handle things themselves. They want to be left alone. Don't need someone hand holding every move and don't cry and whine to 911 if mcdonalds doesn't have chicken nuggets

This in turn allows the police to do the job they were meant to.

Some states are worse some are better but I do think it can be a direct reflection of what the citizens will allow. Something tells me that what goes on in New York or LA police departments would not be tolerated in many areas of Alaska by the people living there.

It makes a difference when the people are all armed, self reliant, and don't need a babysitter.

View Quote

As well as having a huge area to search for a missing person with plenty of inhospitable terrain, thousands of miles of flowing waterways, and lots of big hungry creatures to devour any evidence of their existence should they travel too far off the beaten path in too small of a group.

I say this a not as part of a Judge Dredd circle jerk but as it relates to a story I was told of a veteran game warden vs a newbie. The veteran basically felt that it was his jurisdiction to enforce the game laws if he could see the violation from his vehicle. The newbie felt the urge to go after potential violators deep into the forests - one time to return to his vehicle ablaze after he was duped into going after somebody he never did catch.

I guess it could be the same mentality of 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas'.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#29]
The Claud Dallas jury said the difference between a conviction and acquittal was not the first shots. It was the finishing shot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

View Quote

So, to clarify OP comments, the Alaska state troopers that showed up at Tanana dressed in swat outfits are intimidating bad dudes that OP has little respect for, but the troopers wearing the regular everyday patrol outfits are cool?    Very interdasting....my mind has been blown.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So, to clarify OP comments, the Alaska state troopers that showed up at Tanana dressed in swat outfits are intimidating bad dudes that OP has little respect for, but the troopers wearing the regular everyday patrol outfits are cool?    Very interdasting....my mind has been blown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't take much.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe the show paints a picture they want you to see.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Didn't take much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't take much.

True Dat!  
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

And what picture would that be?
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn this place acts like 99% of cops are dressed like Delta Force.  Mainly because you search out photos of guns and gear with your grubby little dick beaters fantasizing about how awesome you are going to be next time you interact with a cop.  Pretty much makes a lot here sound no different than the professionally offended.  Womg militarization...

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/04/16/Texas-Highway-Patrol.jpeg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/galvestondailynews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/e4/4e41db7c-07b8-11e3-9479-001a4bcf6878/5210439e34388.image.jpg

Bonus if they get cake before a shift they have to use 200% more jack boot to work off the calories.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cMjzn_0d7J0/S7zQAVyguCI/AAAAAAAACsY/z2WZaU8BldY/s1600/frank+4.jpg
View Quote

quoted for truth
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't know if it's SOP but I don't agree with the disarming of people who are legally carrying in order to run the gun's serial number that they've showed on the program.
View Quote

Always liked your attitude.

If you like small town Southern life, we'll be needing a new Chief in a month or two.

We just got rid of a corrupt mayor, and the chief and several officers that were his personal Gestapo will be let go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#37]
That's nice that GD bases their opinion on the way people dress.....maybe if the two dead troopers up in Tanana had "special forces" body armor they wouldn't be dead. Sometimes things that look scary (like heavy body armor) actually serves a purpose, you know like a rifle compared to a handgun. Of course I'm speaking to people who are afraid of anyone wearing cargo pants so......
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The picture that the OP sees.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#39]
The rest of the 49 states should take a lesson from the Alaska State Troopers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Gr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gr

The difference is that deploying the mechanized infantry platoon or air assault platoon is not AST's first go-to option.  In Tanana they already had two officers down.  In general they seem to approach situations with a lower level of force even if that means assuming a bit more risk in some ways for the officer initially.  Although I'd say that by winning the trust and respect of many of the people, they actually lower their risk in the long run.

Honestly it reminds me of a line right out of the COIN field manual...  The more you button up in armored vehicles and use heavy handed measures for force protection, paradoxically, the less secure your force becomes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except those of us that have lived up there also have positive personal interactions.

I have some professional interaction with local LE due to my job.  The difference between ASTs and some big urban metro departments I saw after I moved was significant.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except those of us that have lived up there also have positive personal interactions.

I have some professional interaction with local LE due to my job.  The difference between ASTs and some big urban metro departments I saw after I moved was significant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think what some people are missing is that this is a statewide agency vs some local agencies that have been pointed out where they may follow similar policies in their appearance and interactions with civilians.

But in all fairness most urban metro areas are sh!+holes so a lot of those officer's conduct may be environmentally influenced just as the AST's conduct may be environmentally influenced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The rest of the 49 states should take a lesson from the Alaska State Troopers.
View Quote

You are right. This shooting will be studied and picked apart and used as an example in academy and training classes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#47]
What makes JBTs JBTs is not the equipment, it is the attitude. Now sometimes having the equipment makes them think "now we have this cool stuff we have to use it, otherwise they are going to take it away" or "I am so fuarking operator I am now going to make up laws and whip around in my MRAP. I am the law"
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Disagree. AST are fine policemen and the distinction isn't simply a matter of terrain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my impression as a lifelong Alaskan as well.  The AST are generally known here as a very professional force, with some exceptions of course ("You are too arrogant to be a cop," said the judge to a guy who attends my church).

Meanwhile, during some downtime 10 years ago I took the Anchorage cop test.  Don't get me wrong, I am not police material.  The aptitude test was a series of video scenarios, but each potential response (A, B, C, D, or E) seemed designed to escalate the situation instead of reducing it.  The entire test shocked me as it was clear they were recruiting guys with a militarist commanding mindset who see the public as "others" to be controlled, even in random encounters.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top