User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If true - deserter.

However I think he got smacked (or other things) by the hard dick of reality. Typical of libtards his age when he "grew a brain" and thought walking off would be better, as if the Taliban would see his ways...

That being said, he doesn't deserve any more time in captivity, tried, anything. He's served his hell I'm sure. Just because he might have played their game in captivity doesn't mean they didn't fuck his world up.

What he does deserve is to be discharged, and left in peace. I don't care who you are - 5 years with the Taliban will ruin your life and smash your rose colored glasses.
View Quote

Bullshit, if he did indeed leave his unit and from the sounds of it might have joined the Taliban willingly he deserved to stay there forever.  If we did get him back we sure as hell shouldn't have given anything up for him and he should have gone straight to the deepest prison we have.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Poll Fail.

98% think he is BOTH.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Captured US soldier has joined our cause, say Taliban

22 August 2010

This image made from video released Wednesday April 7, 2010 by the Taliban via the Site Intelligence Group shows U.S. soldier Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl. In the video, Bergdahl, captured in Afghanistan in June 2009, says he wants to return to his family in Idaho and that the war in Afghanistan is not worth the number of lives that have been lost or wasted in prison. It is the first he has been seen since the Taliban released a video of him on Christmas Day. A Taliban commander in Paktika said the 24-year-old Bergdahl had converted to Islam (AP) The only known American soldier in Taliban captivity is training fighters in bombmaking and ambush, according to one of his captors and the Afghan intelligence agents working to free him.

A Taliban deputy district commander in Paktika province said the 24-year-old American had converted to Islam in the months after his capture. He said Bergdahl, from Idaho’s Sun Valley, had trained Taliban fighters in bomb-making and ambushing convoys.

“When I saw him for the second time, he had totally changed. He had a beard and he treated all of us very respectfully. He seemed very relaxed in our company.
View Quote

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Afghanistan/article376561.ece

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The more I read about this today the more furious I become. This is disgusting. Seeing that video of his dad, his dad's tweets, and reading the accounts of people who served with him just solidifies what a bad fucking deal this was.  

We traded 5 high ranking terrorists for one POS. On top of that all the good men who were killed or wounded looking for the POS. God only knows what kind of intelligence he gave the taliban while in captivity.  

This is truly a sad day for America. One more in a long line since Jan. 20, 2009.  
View Quote

Me too, but honestly how much intelligence does an 11B PFC have to give?  Certainly not anything past short-term tactical.  That said, we're a bunch of suckers for making hte particular trade we made, particularly since it seems that he ended up with the Taliban on purpose.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bullshit, if he did indeed leave his unit and from the sounds of it might have joined the Taliban willingly he deserved to stay there forever.  If we did get him back we sure as hell shouldn't have given anything up for him and he should have gone straight to the deepest prison we have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If true - deserter.

However I think he got smacked (or other things) by the hard dick of reality. Typical of libtards his age when he "grew a brain" and thought walking off would be better, as if the Taliban would see his ways...

That being said, he doesn't deserve any more time in captivity, tried, anything. He's served his hell I'm sure. Just because he might have played their game in captivity doesn't mean they didn't fuck his world up.

What he does deserve is to be discharged, and left in peace. I don't care who you are - 5 years with the Taliban will ruin your life and smash your rose colored glasses.

As much as my gut agrees with you, any of it would be very hard to prove at a court martial, Military Rules of Evidence being what they are.  The defense could easily refute any Taliban press releases (even if they're true) - those fuckers lie all the time, and everyone knows it.  Pretty easy to get him for UA, and probably a few other charges like disobeying a lawful order (assuming there was a standing order to stay within the COP perimeter and not wander around the countryside. By yourself. At night. Unarmed.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]
He's considered a "valued guest" by the Taliban now.............

Quoted:
By deserting under the circumstances he did, he effectively became a traitor, imo.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
From OAFnation

I'm fucking sick of people that are barely gripping on to their relevancy amongst this generation dick riding this Bergdahl cocksucker or even suggesting we stand down until the dust settles. All they are doing is exposing their own irrelevancy and how incredibly out of touch they are with the people they consider to be their "target demographic."

They don't know the hard dicks that were on the ground in Paktia when this shit went down. They don't know the hitters that were tasked to recover him. The hitters that got read on to the fucked up shit Bergdahl was doing with the Talibs. The hitters that dropped bodies in efforts to find him. The hitters that were running on all cylinders doing 40 hits in 1 night, rolling ankles and pissing out fucking steam.

SO, that being said, OAF being OAF, tomorrow night we will share an article on the TRUTH from someone who was part of the SOF package tasked to recover this shit head while keeping OPSEC in mind of course. See you then and in the mean time please refrain from dick riding jihadists.

Stay Dangerous,
HNIC@OAF
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is all so Obama can claim that he didn't leave anyone behind when the war is over.
View Quote

I think this is to distract from either bengazi or the IRS scandal. Obama knows he will take a political hit but if it keeps him and his buddies out of prison it is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/archive/00062/Bowe-Bergdahl-580_62843a.jpg

22 August 2010    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Afghanistan/article376561.ece  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/archive/00062/Bowe-Bergdahl-580_62843a.jpg

22 August 2010  

This image made from video released Wednesday April 7, 2010 by the Taliban via the Site Intelligence Group shows U.S. soldier Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl. In the video, Bergdahl, captured in Afghanistan in June 2009, says he wants to return to his family in Idaho and that the war in Afghanistan is not worth the number of lives that have been lost or wasted in prison. It is the first he has been seen since the Taliban released a video of him on Christmas Day. A Taliban commander in Paktika said the 24-year-old Bergdahl had converted to Islam (AP) The only known American soldier in Taliban captivity is training fighters in bombmaking and ambush, according to one of his captors and the Afghan intelligence agents working to free him.

A Taliban deputy district commander in Paktika province said the 24-year-old American had converted to Islam in the months after his capture. He said Bergdahl, from Idaho’s Sun Valley, had trained Taliban fighters in bomb-making and ambushing convoys.

“When I saw him for the second time, he had totally changed. He had a beard and he treated all of us very respectfully. He seemed very relaxed in our company.  
 http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Afghanistan/article376561.ece  

If it's true he assisted the Taliban, he needs to become a historical footnote like the Russian deserters found living as Afghans in the first few years of the fighting in Afghanistan.  I vote the MF-er gets sent back to the worst possible village over there in goat-fucker land and never be allowed to return to the US.  They can drop his father over there with him, too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this the look of a man in captivity?

Reminds me of some guys I met in 2012...

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

By deserting under the circumstances he did, he effectively became a traitor, imo.

View Quote

I agree and it just burns me up that we traded o get the idiot back.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Deserting in a time of war in a combat zone in a combat unit . . . Deserter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Has he come out as a convert to Islam yet?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Desertion during war.  Hang him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to hear something from some of the people voting "hero." Don't be afraid to come in here and defend your opinion. There must be more to it than anonymous trolling on this poll.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
FUCK berghdal, he is a Traitor and good men died because of him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Bobby Garwood Returned to the U S Marine Corps while I was a boot at Camp LeJuene.

At least he didn't go looking for the fucking NVA.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
FUCK berghdal, he is a Traitor and good men died because of him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Obama needed a quick and cheap foreign policy/ military "success" because he is getting hammered for his failures.  Did it without telling Congress as the law requires because he knew there would be objections to negotiating with terrorists, especially for a deserter.  The administration has to make this guy out to be a hero because they were forced to stoop so low to get their little "Success story."   It shows how completely incompetent Obama is and how totally fucked we are because of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just read the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone have a good video to watch or a short link going over the basics of this? I am 100% unfamiliar with any of this.

Just read the thread.

I have and didn't learn anything at all, just conjecture for the most part.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Deserter first. But I'm leaning towards traitor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone have a good video to watch or a short link going over the basics of this? I am 100% unfamiliar with any of this.

Just read the thread.

How is first-hand information conjecture?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something I'm learning from this whole deal - the average idiot doesn't care how close you personally were to a story, if it's not in a news article or press release, it didn't happen. No wonder the US is in the state it's in now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Hundreds if not thousands could now die due to his actions. I'm extremely disappointed that we would negotiate with terrorists, and actually feel sick to my stomach "we" would do something like this. This guy will keep pushing because republicans won't do anything about it. After midterm elections regardless of who wins I hope everyone has everything they need, and you should prepare for a 100% import ban along with massive executive orders and atf "laws" against the second amendment. Obama has nothing to lose now, and knows republicans wont do anything because they are scared to be labeled racist.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Something I'm learning from this whole deal - the average idiot doesn't care how close you personally were to a story, if it's not in a news article or press release, it didn't happen. No wonder the US is in the state it's in now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I don't believe random people from the internet. It's the medium that insists upon that. You know this. The thread consists of reports on what terrorists say he's doing and a bunch of people saying he's a deserter or a traitor or both.

Let me put it like this. I didn't know he was a captive until yesterday. What I know is he was traded for five terrorists. Usually this websites user base  is on it with dishing out information but it's done a pretty bad job of it this time around.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hundreds if not thousands could now die due to his actions. I'm extremely disappointed that we would negotiate with terrorists, and actually feel sick to my stomach "we" would do something like this. This guy will keep pushing because republicans won't do anything about it. After midterm elections regardless of who wins I hope everyone has everything they need, and you should prepare for a 100% import ban along with massive executive orders and atf "laws" against the second amendment. Obama has nothing to lose now, and knows republicans wont do anything because they are scared to be labeled racist.
View Quote

Like this. What does this guy have to do with gun rights? I haven't found anything in this thread about that but, with how arfcom is doing with this bit of news, maybe his dad is an established anti?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If true - deserter.

View Quote

Left in peace? Are you out of your fucking mind? This POS went over to the enemy, causing fellow soldiers to lose their lives. In a just world, he would be facing a rope, not getting head from the CIC.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry, I don't believe random people from the internet. It's the medium that insists upon that. You know this. The thread consists of reports on what terrorists say he's doing and a bunch of people saying he's a deserter or a traitor or both.

Let me put it like this. I didn't know he was a captive until yesterday. What I know is he was traded for five terrorists. Usually this websites user base  is on it with dishing out information but it's done a pretty bad job of it this time around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll clarify that I didn't direct, "average idiot" at you. I have been very frustrated with the majority of people commenting on facebook whom have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Bottom line about the whole story - there are many of us who were there, or at least in the same unit or in afghanistan at the time.  I'm pretty sure you can trust what is posted by a tank holder, because if something inaccurate was posted, one of our guys would be on it right quick.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#31]

we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl.
View Quote

Don't feed into the hype. Fuck this guy.

"Forwarded from Jeff Howard. "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little "out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them.

View Quote
https://www.facebook.com/Operatorasphuk/posts/1498917640323682:0

If that's all true this guy needs to be charged. I can't even believe we would trade for him. I'm in disbelief, and shock right now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. It's just been "This guys should fucking die" as a consensus.

I'm sorry that doesn't fit what you want.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Deserter.

And deserves to be put in front of a firing squad.

But the public will eat up the bullshit from the administration. I got into an argument with my sister about how big of a piece of shit this guy was and he deserves capital punishment. She didn't agree. I guess you can't explain these things to civilians.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

This guy better not get a hero's welcome home.  What a POS!
View Quote

Oh he will.

And his dad is an outright supporter of the Taliban.

ETA: The only reason I think he is probably alive is he fucking switched and helped the taliban. I wouldn't be surprised if he took part in some ACM operations.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Now let's make a deal with Mexico.

We will trade them 10,000,000 illegals for one Marine.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Ol' Bowe was probably helping set the timers on the 107mm rockets with his Taliban buddies. His dad is clearly balls deep in the Taliban's cause, it would not surprise me in the least bit if we find out that he and his dad planned this shit all along for a publicity stunt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
That.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

yep

That.
what?

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Credge, you are one of the worst posters I have ever seen Congrats.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]
He is a fucking traitor, yet no one will remember that Obama traded five dangerous terrorists for a shitbag that hates his own country in a years time. It will be swept under the rug just like every other controversy facing this administration.

Nothing matters anymore other than political expediency.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#41]
He's a major domestic security risk if he's allowed to go free when he returns to the States, that much is sure.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]
deserter or traitor? Get both... he seemed a little too chummy with his captors, and gave me the impression he provided them with intel just because he didn't like the mission...
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]
If he was/is a deserter and traitor, why would we want to leave him with the enemy?  Showing the world, and anyone interested in deserting, that we will eventually find you can be a powerful incentive.  Wait till The Obama gets Snowden back.  It will happen before he leaves office.

I think 5 major Taliban terrorists may have been a steep price to pay, but we got him back and at some point, hopefully, the truth will come out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Two members voted "hero".

I didn't know Bill Ayers and Obama were members here.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read the thread.

You have a reading comprehension problem then because there are plenty of official sources, direct quotes, 1st hand accounts, photo, and video in the thread.

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero

"I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on," said former Sgt. Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl's platoon when he went missing on June 30, 2009. "Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him."

At least six soldiers were killed in subsequent searches for Bergdahl, and many soldiers in his platoon said attacks seemed to increase against the United States in Paktika Province in the days and weeks following his disappearance.

Emails reported by the late Michael Hastings in Rolling Stone in 2012 reveal what Bergdahl's fellow infantrymen learned within days of his disappearance: he told people that he no longer supported the U.S. effort in Afghanistan.

"The future is too good to waste on lies," Bowe wrote to his parents. "And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

Bergdahl wrote to them, "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting."

While soldiers were searching for Bergdahl, a platoon "came upon some children, they asked him have they seen an American. The children said 'yes, he was crawling on his belly through weeds and acting funny a while ago,'" according to Cody.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/index.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#49]
"Forwarded from Jeff Howard.

"We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”.

Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close.

We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching.

Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him.

PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl.

Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit.

There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban.

They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth.

Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman.

He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."
View Quote

https://www.facebook.com/Operatorasphuk?fref=nf
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#50]
The "Biker Bob" crowd must think he is some kind of hero.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top