BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Another story from a Soldier who served with Bergdahl, Nathan Bradley Bethea. This was particularly interesting:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html#

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Another story from a Soldier who served with Bergdahl, Nathan Bradley Bethea. This was particularly interesting:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html#

Bergdahl was not the first American soldier in modern history to walk away blindly. As I write this in Seoul, I'm about 40 miles from where an American sergeant defected to North Korea in 1965. Charles Robert Jenkins later admitted that he was terrified of being sent to Vietnam, so he got drunk and wandered off on a patrol. He was finally released in 2004, after almost 40 hellish years of brutal internment. The Army court-martialed him, sentencing him to 30 days' confinement and a dishonorable discharge. He now lives peacefully with his wife in Japan—they met in captivity in North Korea, where they were both forced to teach foreign languages to DPRK agents. His desertion barely warranted a comment, but he was not hailed as a hero. He was met with sympathy and humanity, and he was allowed to live his life, but he had to answer for what he did.

I believe that Bergdahl also deserves sympathy, but he has much to answer for, some of which is far more damning than simply having walked off. Many have suffered because of his actions: his fellow soldiers, their families, his family, the Afghan military, the unaffiliated Afghan civilians in Paktika, and none of this suffering was inevitable. None of it had to happen. Therefore, while I’m pleased that he’s safe, I believe there is an explanation due. Reprimanding him might yield horrible press for the Army, making our longest war even less popular than it is today. Retrieving him at least reminds soldiers that we will never abandon them to their fates, right or wrong. In light of the propaganda value, I do not expect the Department of Defense to punish Bergdahl.

We have already done that in Benghazi, going to extreme measures to call off help that was already on the way.

Retrieving him allows him to continue to operate and reminds the Taliban we have a president that is sympathetic to their cause. Or at least hostile to the country in which he leads.

I hope this doesn't mean they've gotten to the whistleblowers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
More will die in the future. Those released fiveTaliban leaders will go back to making war and killing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK berghdal, he is a Traitor and good men died because of him.

More will die in the future. Those released fiveTaliban leaders will go back to making war and killing.

With help from berghdal.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Deserter and attempted traitor, even hajj didn't want his dumb ass.

View Quote

Gurantee he tries to blow something up within 5 years

Don't be naïve. He is a great asset to them as he is brought up to date on current policies that he can effectively communicate back to the "hajj"
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It was necessary to free him in order to once again try and focus all attention on "BUSH'S WARZ!!1!" as a build up to the election. Can't have people focusing on every other failure... Now the Democrats have a new talking head who will say how the Taliban are awesome, cute and cuddly and the Great Satan sucks monkey dick.
View Quote

True. I guess everyone has forgotten that the afghan war is obamas warz.

Not that it matters anymore.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This, he also should be hung
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By deserting, he became a traitor, imo.

Yup
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I do not know all the details of what happened when he disappeared just internet rumors, if those rumors are remotely true.

All I can think about is the television show "Homeland"

View Quote

I keep thinking about the show "the americans".     It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't a scheme cooked up by the father from the beginning.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#7]
"B" and "C" of the above. A deserter by his actions, and a traitor by his words. Unfortunately, neither will probably be used against him.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Deserter and attempted traitor, even hajj didn't want his dumb ass.

Don't be naïve. He is a great asset to them as he is brought up to date on current policies that he can effectively communicate back to the "hajj"

True. I'm sure he and his father have been and will continue to pass information along to their bearded smelly friends
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#9]
He can hate America, that is his right as an American. One day he is going to realize that the country he hates allows him to hate her and he is going to realize there is no place better to be. He will end up an example of the fact we live in the best country in the world.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#10]
25 votes for hero?   WTF

deserter and traitor all rolled up into one bag of shit

his ma is still kinda hot though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know enough of the facts around the case to make a rational and reasonable decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowe Bergdahl. Hero, Deserter, or Traitor?

I don't know enough of the facts around the case to make a rational and reasonable decision.

You, I, and I suspect most posting in this thread are probably in the same boat.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

25 votes for hero?   WTF

deserter and traitor all rolled up into one bag of shit

his ma is still kinda hot though.
View Quote

DU Trolls, re-treads, retards and LibertarianYankee's 8 other accounts
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If true - deserter.

However I think he got smacked (or other things) by the hard dick of reality. Typical of libtards his age when he "grew a brain" and thought walking off would be better, as if the Taliban would see his ways...

That being said, he doesn't deserve any more time in captivity, tried, anything. He's served his hell I'm sure. Just because he might have played their game in captivity doesn't mean they didn't fuck his world up.

What he does deserve is to be discharged, and left in peace. I don't care who you are - 5 years with the Taliban will ruin your life and smash your rose colored glasses.
View Quote

he walked away and got soldiers killed.

Levanworth for life or firing squad.

I would prefer he got the firing squad.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck him AND his dad.

Sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
when this story broke five years ago, it was speculated in the news they he night have just walked away.

the general consensus here was that he was a deserter even back then

and again this administration commits an act that will put Americans in jeopardy

chuck hagel, what an ass maggot
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do not know all the details of what happened when he disappeared just internet rumors, if those rumors are remotely true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

President Barack Obama a fan of ‘Homeland’,  says drama series star Damian Lewis

“Not only has Obama been watching it but his aides have been calling up going, ’We need to see it,”’ Lewis said. “So he’s been getting entire state departments, top of the U.S. government, asking to see it because their boss watches it and they feel they need to know what their boss has been watching.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/president-barack-obama-fan-homeland-drama-series-star-damian-lewis-article-1.1020669
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I keep thinking about the show "the americans".     It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't a scheme cooked up by the father from the beginning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

never seen that, i did hear it was supposed to be good
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

More will die in the future.  Those released fiveTaliban leaders will go back to making war and killing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FUCK berghdal, he is a Traitor and good men died because of him.  

More will die in the future.  Those released fiveTaliban leaders will go back to making war and killing.  

There's a news report out from the Afghan Taliban saying just that.  My money is on them bugging out of Qatar in less than a month and being back on the battlefield before summer is over.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

From what I seen reported.

Deserter
View Quote
based on what we know today Im going with this.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#20]
"He served the United States with honor and distinction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdGe0uP7W-c
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#21]
He will probably get a TV show on MSNBC.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fuck him AND his dad.

Sons of bitches.
View Quote

We know nothing of their mothers....leave them out of this.  

For now.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's what we do know for certain.  The man was a US soldier in a combat zone  He left his rifle and his unit, and he walked off in the middle of the night. Is that, or is not, the very definition of desertion?
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowe Bergdahl. Hero, Deserter, or Traitor?

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"He served the United States with honor and distinction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdGe0uP7W-c
View Quote

Can't stand her. Myself and a couple of friends once walked out of a speech of hers at my college. It was pitched as a foriegn affairs lecture but turned out to be an Obama commerical. Five people got up and left out of maybe 30 that attended. She looked annoyed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
when this story broke five years ago, it was speculated in the news they he night have just walked away.

the general consensus here was that he was a deserter even back then

and again this administration commits an act that will put Americans in jeopardy

chuck hagel, what an ass maggot
View Quote

Gets the VA scandal out of the headlines, gives dumbass another photo-op, gives the left something to point at to tell the troops that he cares...

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even better, promoted to Staff Sergeant.

http://weaselzippers.us/188003-army-to-promote-suspected-deserter-bowe-bergdahl-to-staff-sergeant/
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://weaselzippers.us/188003-army-to-promote-suspected-deserter-bowe-bergdahl-to-staff-sergeant/

Well bless his heart... he deserves it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#28]
One of my cousins just posted this on fb.

This is the true story of "SGT" Bergdahl. While I do not know Jeff Howard. I was there (within 12 hrs I was shipped to this kids headquarters to plan the aviation side of the search efforts) and can attest to the location, unit, and story as it was told to us. This kid should fry for desertion in wartime which is punishable by death, but most certainly should not be deemed a hero. So many lives he put in jeopardy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn...he's fucking fast tracking.

What's his TIS/TIG?

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's his TIS/TIG?

Time in Goat?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's his TIS/TIG?

Time in Goat?

But seriously...how the fuck would he make points?

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By deserting, he became a traitor, imo.

This.  Firing squad would be fine too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If anyone was having trouble wrapping their head around the level of criminality of this regime, this should fix that.
View Quote

no kidding .have anything in the military history of the United States since its beginning has anything like this heppened ? What the Obama administration did over this deal is treasonous
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's an alternate therory:

BHO has his broken promise of clearing out Gitmo. No solution would work.

New "Out of the Box" thinking.
He arranges for their release back into the wild then executes them with drone strikes. Sure, there's a risk one or two will take a little longer to target and blast away. They may even get off a new act of terrorism. In the end, BHO solves his Gitmo problem.
Bergdahl was just a convenient bargaining chip.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

He arranges for their release back into the wild then executes them with drone strikes. Sure, there's a risk one or two will take a little longer to target and blast away. They may even get off a new act of terrorism. In the end, BHO solves his Gitmo problem.

View Quote

If it's about clearing Gitmo give me 1000 rounds of 5.56 and 2 hours alone in the prison with cameras turned off...

On second thought don't give me shit, I'll supply my own ammo
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got to be fucking kidding. What an insult.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#37]
So what exactly does Bergdahl's father do for a living, and how does he know Arabic so well?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, all five are dead. What about the Bergdahl's? Two guys to blame after a false flag attack?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So what exactly does Bergdahl's father do for a living, and how does he know Arabic so well?
View Quote

Did you see the beard? I think speaking Arabic just happens when your beard gets to that point.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

All I've been able to find is that he drives a truck, but I cannot find the company named anywhere else but Wikipedia, so I don't know.

I kinda think he's a Saudi lap dog.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
All I've been able to find is that he drives a truck, but I cannot find the company named anywhere else but Wikipedia, so I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drives a truck full of goat meat butt plugs to shady Saudi nightclubs and gets paid in fiki-fiki with the masculine locals.

I believe the company is named "Ass Play Distributing Inc"

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#42]
They speak Pashto which is an Afghani language. Source: http://nypost.com/2014/05/31/the-bizarre-tale-of-americas-last-known-pow/

Some other interesting tidbits from that article:

As a teen, the home-schooled son of Calvinists took up ballet — recruited to be a "lifter” by "a beautiful local girl,” Rolling Stone reported, "the guy who holds the girl aloft in a ballet sequence.” The strategy worked: Bergdahl — who also began dabbling in Budd­hism and tarot card reading — soon moved in with the woman.

Even as a teen, he could fire a .22-caliber rifle with precision.

At age 20, he traveled to Paris and started learning French in hopes of joining the French Foreign Legion.

His application was rejected, and he was devastated, the magazine reported.

Bergdahl would drift for years, working mainly at a coffee shop near home. He briefly considered moving to Uganda to help villagers being terrorized by militias before deciding on a different ­adventure.

"I’m thinking of joining the Army,” he told his folks after ­already having signed up.

Bergdahl’s dream was to help Afghan villagers rebuild their lives and learn to defend themselves, his dad told the magazine.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, he works for the Taliban. No joke.

http://www.intelius.com/results.php?ReportType=1&formname=name&qf=Robert&qmi=&qn=Bergdahl+&qcs=&focusfirst=1
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pumabydesign001.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/robert-bergdahl-employee-of-the-taliban.png?w=591&h=211

If the son is even halfway as bad as his dad...
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
both deserter and traitor

fuck him
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pumabydesign001.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/robert-bergdahl-employee-of-the-taliban.png?w=591&h=211

I wonder if he killed any Americans or our allies on his vacation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gurantee he at least provided insight to ROE's, immediate action drills, move to fire tactics etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#48]
An actor who deserted with the intent to be a traitor. His mission accomlished as a willing participant in the trade for five Taliban GTMO detained terrorist.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
He reminds me of some kind of twisted stage mother, or one of those fat ladies with a 5 year old daughter in beauty pageants.

He is clearly eating this shit up.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They speak Pashto which is an Afghani language. Source: http://nypost.com/2014/05/31/the-bizarre-tale-of-americas-last-known-pow/

Some other interesting tidbits from that article:

As a teen, the home-schooled son of Calvinists took up ballet — recruited to be a "lifter” by "a beautiful local girl,” Rolling Stone reported, "the guy who holds the girl aloft in a ballet sequence.” The strategy worked: Bergdahl — who also began dabbling in Budd­hism and tarot card reading — soon moved in with the woman.

Even as a teen, he could fire a .22-caliber rifle with precision.

At age 20, he traveled to Paris and started learning French in hopes of joining the French Foreign Legion.
His application was rejected, and he was devastated, the magazine reported.

Bergdahl would drift for years, working mainly at a coffee shop near home. He briefly considered moving to Uganda to help villagers being terrorized by militias before deciding on a different ­adventure.

"I’m thinking of joining the Army,” he told his folks after ­already having signed up.
Bergdahl’s dream was to help Afghan villagers rebuild their lives and learn to defend themselves, his dad told the magazine.

View Quote

This clusterfuck is like an onion where each succeeding layer contains more WTF than the last
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top