Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2014 6:46:21 PM EDT
http://www.postholer.com/journal/sampleGearlists.php

What is the Pacific Crest Trail?
It is a Trail running from the border of Mexico up to Canada

BTW take care of your feet here is a picture of a Thru Hiker's foot after 1650 miles

Most people who hike the PCT and other long trails go for ultralight gear so they
can make some serious mileage each day
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I hiked a chunk of the PCT... In 2005 I hiked the Tahoe Yosemite Trail.  The most important item you can take with you is the titanium spork.

2005 Tahoe Yosemite Trail Hike
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
First thing on my list would be a car, rickshaw, or even dog cart to pull me if my feet got that manky.

ETA: I already have a titanium spork. Aside from that, I'm about as ultralight as a herd of bison.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude. Those feet
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you ride a horse and take a pack mule? If so, do it that way. That's the way the mountain men did it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
"Most people who do the PCT have ultralight gear."

Yeah, no.

I did the portion from Yosemite to Whitney.  I had 40 or 45 lbs of lightweight gear, as did most other peeps I talked to.  That joke will make more sense, 10 miles into the trip, in the thin air of the high Sierras.

A 2 week trip at high altitude in the Summer is real interesting, and has changed me, as a backpacker.   But a peaceful backpack w/ bears, hippies and sunburn isn't the same thing as a maximum stress freakout evasion from FSA disaster zombies.

Just sayin that I don't know off the top of my head how applicable the knowledge would be.  Most through hikers would resupply whenever possible, so as to carry as little as possible.  

Comments on the pics:  

In the second pic, the JMT portion of the PCT has many places that look like that.  

On the third pic, no doubt, thruhiking can place so much pounding on your feet that they can get torn up.  But you still have to pull over and do mainteinance on your body, so it doesn't fall apart.  This includes bathing in icewater, shaving, washing feet, reapplying 50spf sunscreen, hydrating, eating enough, hygiene,  preventing fecal oral contamination, etc. etc.  That guy just let his feet dissolve.
I didn't.

PCT thruhikers I saw on the backside of Whitney in previous years all had birdleggs, 45lb packs, and could walk relentlessly uphill, at high altitudes.  And were bored sick.  And had massive 5Kcalory/day appetites w/ matching metabolisms.  The latest one I saw a month ago hadn't any body fat, and subsisted stovelessly on junkfood, multi thousand calorie restaurant binges, instant mash potatoes and crazed enthusiasm.  He complained to me that he was so lean, that he couldn't stay warm at night in Late Spring in the Sierras.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a small section of the PCT near Big Bear. Not seeing a purpose of doing the whole thing unless my life is pointless.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude. Those feet
View Quote

I'm not used to seeing a pic of feet without a gun in the picture somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Most people who do the PCT have ultralight gear."

Yeah, no.

I did the portion from Yosemite to Whitney.  I had 40 or 45 lbs of lightweight gear, as did most other peeps I talked to.  That joke will make more sense, 10 miles into the trip, in the thin air of the high Sierras.

A 2 week trip at high altitude in the Summer is real interesting, and has changed me, as a backpacker.   But a peaceful backpack w/ bears, hippies and sunburn isn't the same thing as a maximum stress freakout evasion from FSA disaster zombies.

Just sayin that I don't know off the top of my head how applicable the knowledge would be.  Most through hikers would resupply whenever possible, so as to carry as little as possible.  

Comments on the pics:  

In the second pic, the JMT portion of the PCT has many places that look like that.  

On the third pic, no doubt, thruhiking can place so much pounding on your feet that they can get torn up.  But you still have to pull over and do mainteinance on your body, so it doesn't fall apart.  This includes bathing in icewater, shaving, washing feet, reapplying 50spf sunscreen, hydrating, eating enough, hygiene,  preventing fecal oral contamination, etc. etc.  That guy just let his feet dissolve.
I didn't.

PCT thruhikers I saw on the backside of Whitney in previous years all had birdleggs, 45lb packs, and could walk relentlessly uphill, at high altitudes.  And were bored sick.  And had massive 5Kcalory/day appetites w/ matching metabolisms.  The latest one I saw a month ago hadn't any body fat, and subsisted stovelessly on junkfood, multi thousand calorie restaurant binges, instant mash potatoes and crazed enthusiasm.  He complained to me that he was so lean, that he couldn't stay warm at night in Late Spring in the Sierras.
View Quote

I was going to post that myself. There is no reason other than stupidity for feet to be in that condition.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Not so much. The PCT pack list would not be a good bug out list. Why? Because I want my bug out gear to last. That means be durable, functional and reliable.

We live on the PCT. I have hosted a few hikers and outfitted many of them. Gear that makes it through one full PCT season is toast. I want my gear to last.

JMHO.

Trivia, How do you tell a PCT through hiker from a poser in REI? The PCT though hiker will be using the official PCT wallet, a ziplock.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.bigbearhostel.com/uploads/6/9/6/1/6961020/9626729.jpg?477

http://img1.sunset.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/image/2005/09/katwalk-l.jpg

BTW take care of your feet here is a picture of a Thru Hiker's foot after 1650 miles
http://m1.i.pbase.com/g6/39/611339/2/72463711.cdYAybvj.jpg

Most people who hike the PCT and other long trails go for ultralight gear so they
View Quote

Color me unimpressed with this guys feet.

If that is really how someone's feet looked at the end of the PCT then he did it wrong.

Absolutely no reason for that nonsense.

In fact, I call B.S.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have done 100's of miles on the PCT. My feet have never looked remotely like that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If that is really how someone's feet looked at the end of the PCT then he did it wrong.

In fact, I call B.S.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bigbearhostel.com/uploads/6/9/6/1/6961020/9626729.jpg?477

http://img1.sunset.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/image/2005/09/katwalk-l.jpg

http://m1.i.pbase.com/g6/39/611339/2/72463711.cdYAybvj.jpg

In fact, I call B.S.

I agree. Neither that guy is a complete moron to let his feet get like that or it's fake.  I don't underestimate the power of him being a moron though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have done 100's of miles on the PCT. My feet have never looked remotely like that.
View Quote

Same here!

But, you go through multiple pairs of boots/shoes on the PCT so if someone ignored that and ended up hiking barefoot or in their camp sandals.. it could happen.

I contemplated the PCT for a while.. even started doing research.  I decided it was not for me at that time.

I have, however, done most of the JMT and a large number of the passes in and out of the eastern and western sierra.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I commute from Valencia and see the hikers climbing the Grass Mountain portion of the PCT, usually in the early morning. I don't know how many of them started from the very beginning but some of them look pretty rough. I'm always jealous when I see them hiking through such beautiful scenery, and I'm headed to work another 9-5
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
If anybody cares, the middle pic the OP posted is of the Kendall Katwalk. It's about 4 or 5 miles along the PCT north of I-90.
I've day hiked a few sections of it here and there but most of the PCT through WA is kind of meh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top