Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2014 4:10:04 AM EDT
The Bofors 40 mm gun, often referred to simply as the Bofors gun,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm_gun#cite_note-NAVWEAP-1][1][/url] is an anti-aircraft/multi-purpose autocannon designed in the 1930s by the Swedish arms manufacturer AB Bofors. It was one of the most popular medium-weight anti-aircraft systems during World War II, used by most of the western Allies as well as by the Axis powers. The cannon remains in service (as the main armament in the CV 90) making it both one of the longest-serving and most widespread artillery pieces of all time. Bofors itself has been part of BAE Systems AB since March 2005.

In British service:

In US Navy Service

Japanese Airplane victim of USN Bofors Fire

Bofors 40mm in German Service

Brits defending against a Stuka raid

In Argentine Navy service

Against the Japanese Navy: combat photography by the USN and USCG at Okinawa (with some M2, and 5 Inch as AAA thrown in for good measure)

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Bofors kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool.

My grandfather was on the Biloxi.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Who doesn't love a good Bofors in the morning
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
How interchangeable was the ammo from country to country?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this Will Hayden?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
What a gererous gift.  Could you please IM tracking info?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a cool vid on YouTube of a cv90 test firing the bofors gun. It had some time delay fuse thing on the ammo. The best part of the vid is watching the thing fling it's spent casings 30ft in the air.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh?

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
People care about post counts?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Huh?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Read title of thread.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Do you even GD, bro?

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#12]
They also put them in the AC130 Spectre to shoot from the sky.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's like dick length.

I notice that you come up short

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Looks like a F4F Wildcat to me....
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
If I'm mot mistaken, didn't we make one fly?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They also put them in the AC130 Spectre to shoot from the sky.
View Quote

Me like Bizarro speak.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#17]
The Bofors is my absolute, all-time favorite projectile launching device.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's a cool vid on YouTube of a cv90 test firing the bofors gun. It had some time delay fuse thing on the ammo. The best part of the vid is watching the thing fling it's spent casings 30ft in the air.

http://youtu.be/Nj0q-sxKrvg
View Quote

when they show the VW minibus blown to shit and the narrator says "Mission accomplished"  I laughed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#19]
PWS built a 40mm cannon out of an L/60 Bofors barrel

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#20]
No AC130 pics?

Here, I'll help out.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I want one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Did we have the proximity fuse for the 40 mm Bofors?  I know it was one of our secret weapons of WW II.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's a Shiden, I think.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Man that VW bus was worth a lot of coin.

What was that tank thing they used in Vietnam with the twin 40's?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I toured the Lexington last Friday, they have a couple quad 40mm mounts that still elevate / traverse and are open for you to crawl all over.  I think the exhibit said there were like 7 guys working on each mount, one gunner handled elevation and the other traversed.  All hand crank, shit would wear you out quick...

Oh and the trigger was a big red foot pedal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I want a set mounted to my truck!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I toured the Lexington last Friday, they have a couple quad 40mm mounts that still elevate / traverse and are open for you to crawl all over.  I think the exhibit said there were like 7 guys working on each mount, one gunner handled elevation and the other traversed.  All hand crank, shit would wear you out quick...
View Quote
I was watching a show on AHC, and they were talking about anti aircraft gunners on USN ships late in the war.  It was either Okinawa or Saipan.
Anyway, the vet they interviewed told about the waves of Kamikazies and they just kept coming.
After several hours of this there was a lull between waves.
According to the vet their ship had already been hit, but the damage control team had it under control.
One of the unwounded AA gunners stood up, said something like, "Ive had enough" and jumped off the side of the ship.
Obviously, they didn't go back and get him and he was never recovered.  Dead.

ETA: got tired of dealing with this, I guess

A "Judy" in a suicide dive against USS Essex. The dive brakes are extended and the port wing tank is trailing fuel vapor and smoke November 25, 1944.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#28]
We had a couple of Dusters near us up north in '68. I loved those things.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#29]
If manning a twin Bofors mount against incoming kamikaze planes doesn't get you hard - nothing will.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Shiden, I think.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/j/wolfn1k1a.jpg

I don't think so, look at the original picture and see how there are bulges on the side of the airframe under the wings. It has to be a Wildcat.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Shiden, I think.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/j/wolfn1k1a.jpg

I don't think so, look at the original picture and see how there are bulges on the side of the airframe under the wings. It has to be a Wildcat.

Did some googling.

Another site had a pretty persuasive comment on the picture for it being a Shiden. In the pic, you can see the "bulges" midway across both wings.

Which is probably the nacelle mounted wing cannon visible here.

I wouldn't swear to it in court, but I do think it's a Shiden.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was watching a show on AHC, and they were talking about anti aircraft gunners on USN ships late in the war.  It was either Okinawa or Saipan.

Anyway, the vet they interviewed told about the waves of Kamikazies and they just kept coming.

According to the vet their ship had already been hit, but the damage control team had it under control.

One of the unwounded AA gunners stood up, said something like, "Ive had enough" and jumped off the side of the ship.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/D4Y_Yoshinori_Yamaguchi_col.jpg

A "Judy" in a suicide dive against USS Essex. The dive brakes are extended and the port wing tank is trailing fuel vapor and smoke November 25, 1944.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/D4Y_Yoshinori_Yamaguchi_col.jpg

The Lex was hit by a kamikaze zero on the aft side of the island, there is huge exhibit on that.  If anyone gets the chance to see her I HIGHLY reccomend it, just take more pictures than I did, this is the only one I got

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
My dad was on the New Jersey during WWII and part of the gun crew for the Bofors, except he called them quad mount 40's. I never could get him to talk about his experience during that time other than he loved his ship and shipmates.

He's the one on the left.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My dad was on the New Jersey during WWII and part of the gun crew for the Bofors, except he called them quad mount 40's. I never could get him to talk about his experience during that time other than he loved his ship and shipmates.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/seasprite/Navy%20pics/cleangreese40mmshells.jpg

View Quote
Cool pic. Thanks for posting it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s897.photobucket.com/user/seasprite/media/Navy%20pics/cleangreese40mmshells.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/seasprite/Navy%20pics/cleangreese40mmshells.jpg</a>

View Quote

Cleaning the rounds and loading clips...  Very cool picture...
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW..........I believe the guy your talking about said, "Man is it hot" before he jumped overboard.  He was probably suffering heat stroke and just flipped out.  Imaging the heat of the south pacific coupled with a ton of 40mm bofors and 20mm Oerlikon cannons firing like there is no tomorrow. Just the heat off the barrels of those Bofors had to have been insane.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me neither and me too.  Early one.  Rare.  IJN aircraft too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
FWIW..........I believe the guy your talking about said, "Man is it hot" before he jumped overboard.  He was probably suffering heat stroke and just flipped out.  Imaging the heat of the south pacific coupled with a ton of 40mm bofors and 20mm Oerlikon cannons firing like there is no tomorrow. Just the heat off the barrels of those Bofors had to have been insane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's probably the same one.

You may be right and I don't think the Japanese planes helped either.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Back in the day, when the AC-130 Spectre patrolled over the Ho Chí Minh trails every night, nothing rained down hellfire on our enemy like the 40mm Bofors.

They had the 20mm GE Vulcan cannons, but to get close enough to the ground to be accurate, the aircraft was taking too many groundfire hits. They had to circle the target area higher.  So that left the 105 Howitzer which was very accurate. But that was used for only certain targets.

The Bofors cannons were deadly accurate on vehicles or anything else that could be spotted. They would fire looking out the side window circling the area at a steep angle shooting downward.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guy's, I did a lot research on the USS New Jersey  awhile back and if I remembering this right she did the most fighting out of all the battleships and didn't even take a hit from enemy fire or no one got hit. (can't remember ) The one thing I do remember is that when the New Jersey shot down one of the Jap planes it crashed into another american ship and this might be why he never could talk about his experience. This only speculation though because we all know that it can hard to talk about battles that you have been through and I never pushed the issue.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#41]
The AC-130 that flies today still carries the Bofors 40mm cannon.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way, whatever it was, it was unlucky.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The AC-130 that flies today still carries the Bofors 40mm cannon.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130-spectre-44.jpg
View Quote

I thought they replaced them with the 25mm bushmasters.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#44]
40mm Bofors was the main AA gun in my father's Anti-aircraft Automatic Weapons Battalion in WWII.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s897.photobucket.com/user/seasprite/media/Navy%20pics/cleangreese40mmshells.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/seasprite/Navy%20pics/cleangreese40mmshells.jpg</a>

View Quote

Are they oiling the brass?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump for the after work crowd

Japanese torpedo plane making a run through Bofors flak during midway.

Attack on the Yorktown again

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Bofors 40mm 3GP ammunition demo

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I really enjoy shooting it even though its finicky at times.  I like to look at the headstamps on the brass we still shoot today, I'm in awe that we still use the brass and rounds from WW2.

ETA: In fact I broke one in the last 24 hours
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I really enjoy shooting it even though its finicky at times.  I like to look at the headstamps on the brass we still shoot today, I'm in awe that we still use the brass and rounds from WW2.

ETA: In fact I broke one in the last 24 hours
View Quote

(Napoleon Dynamite) Luhhhcky!!(Napoleon Dynamite)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top