Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel that they simply took events from after the New Jedi Order, changed names, and JJ did what he does. It feels all ST Into Darkness to me.

It wasn't as good as the original trilogy but it sure as hell was better than the prequels.

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I watched the movie.  I still don't much at all about any of the new characters.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Prequels did worldbuilding. This movie did character building.

I watched the movie.  I still don't much at all about any of the new characters.  

Character introducing might be a better way to put it!

I like this review: Covers most of my feelings after the first viewing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did wonder who Snoke is, that is a good theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel that they simply took events from after the New Jedi Order, changed names, and JJ did what he does. It feels all ST Into Darkness to me.

It wasn't as good as the original trilogy but it sure as hell was better than the prequels.

Click To View Spoiler

I did wonder who Snoke is, that is a good theory.

My only grip is this:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Movie is a 9/10 coming from a diehard fan.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Adam Driver had his idea to do theater performances rejected by the USO, and so he started his own organization to do just that. Pretty cool!
https://news.vice.com/video/monologues-for-the-military-arts-in-the-armed-forces
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got back.  My buddy and I both picked up our kids from school and went to the 3:20 movie.  

Its been over 30 years since I saw a better Star Wars.  Hell, I was half tempted to grab a Nathan's hot dog and get right back in line for a second showing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit.  Kahn would have fit right in wearing black.

Txl
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from seeing it in 3D.  Almost went right back in to see it again.  

Do we need to use spoiler tags in here?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my spoiler. I'm not even going to put it in a spoiler box.

Best Star Wars movie ever.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I put it at number two tied with the original.  Empire Strike Back is still the best, IMHO.

I thought it was great.  No lens flare fiasco (that I noticed), the effects were fantastic, and there seemed to be built in explanations for all of the stretches.  Sure, it was a little bit of a rehash, but so what, I didn't even notice that until the near the end.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I didn't care for was Click To View Spoiler.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I put it at number two tied with the original.  Empire Strike Back is still the best, IMHO.

I thought it was great.  No lens flare fiasco (that I noticed), the effects were fantastic, and there seemed to be built in explanations for all of the stretches.  Sure, it was a little bit of a rehash, but so what, I didn't even notice that until the near the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loved the original trilogy. I've worn out half a dozen VHS tapes of each. Even so, this felt like a proper continuation of the story. It built on the originals. It upped the ante.

It was almost good enough to counter the pain and suffering we went through watching the prequels.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]
When they look over and see the water vapor as the x-wings are skimming along the ocean getting ready to assault I got the same goosebumps as when I saw the AT-ATs in the distance in Empire Strikes Back.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Went to see it today with my kids. I thought it was AWESOME!!!!!

Needless to say, my kids loved it as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems this entire series is about daddy issues.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked that the prequels showed a lot of the "Star Wars" universe.  Various planets, cites, races, events, etc.  

This new one didn't really deal with any of that, only the Skywalker / Solo families.  

It was a let down for me.

Yes.  It also got back to great cinematography and is an obvious throwback to 4-6 while referencing it with humor.  It is a welcomed addition to the saga imho.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
For those wondering:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought R2-KT was supposed to be in this one, did I miss it?

ETA:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/star-wars-the-force-awakens/r2-kt-droid-to-appear-katy-johnson-cancer/
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#23]
The movie was Episode IV redone.  Big disappointment.  If you had never seen the original New Hope, this would be awesome, but the story was the same.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got back from seeing it and I'm going to have to agree with pretty much everything MotorMouth said, it was awesome.

And since it seems to matter when discussing Star Wars since when people saw them seems to effect how they think of them, I saw Star Wars opening weekend in '77.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Amazing. Just amazing.

No more overly fetishized planets, no more fulfillment of ideas thought up in the mid 1970s, just a return to great old-fashioned storytelling with heart in a universe we fans know and love.

Click To View Spoiler

SO MANY new stories to tell.

May the Force be with you all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Kylo Ren was a Marine

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Amazing. Just amazing.
No more overly fetishized planets, no more fulfillment of ideas thought up in the mid 1970s, just a return to great old-fashioned storytelling with heart in a universe we fans know and love.
Click To View Spoiler
SO MANY new stories to tell.
May the Force be with you all.
View Quote
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Some of you guys really don't get the whole Star Wars thing. I've been seeing lots of people say that the Force is now a mystical thing again.

It never wasn't. The entire midichlorian thing was to explain why not every-fucking-person in the universe can control the force. It explains why the race that E.T. is in is force sensitive. It explains why lineage is the primary factor when dealing with the force.

Fuck, guys. Think.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Some of you guys really don't get the whole Star Wars thing. I've been seeing lots of people say that the Force is now a mystical thing again.

It never wasn't. The entire midichlorian thing was to explain why not every-fucking-person in the universe can control the force. It explains why the race that E.T. is in is force sensitive. It explains why lineage is the primary factor when dealing with the force.
Fuck, guys. Think.

View Quote

No the midichlorian thing was idiotic and Lucas pulled it out of his ass because he decided that all of Star Wars was actually about Darth Vader despite all prior evidence to the contrary and wanted to give him a virgin birth to try to justify his half-assed changing around of what the story of Star Wars as a whole actually was.
The reason not every-fucking-person in the universe can control the Force isn't because they don't have the right DNA mutation to do so, but because most of them don't even believe in it. As for it being strong in certain bloodlines since it is a mystical thing it makes more sense that people and families who are spiritually attuned to it are more sensitive to moreso than a pulled out of ass genetic explanation does. DNA doesn't have spirituality, souls do. Even if said souls come back as the wrong fucking actor after a dullard rewrote scenes basically just to annoy people.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got back, really really enjoyed it. It's very close in feel and quality to the original. Kylo is a very good bad guy.

This movie is almost a remake of IV,  which originally bothered me, but then you realize they reintroducing star wars to am entirely new generation, it's aaalmost a reboot.

They even address this in the movie,  the younger kids aren't all up to date on the force and jedis, they treat then as rumor and legend, as if they never happened.

So it kinda makes sense, to  restart the series, treat the old story in a new way, and introduce new fans to the tragically flawed skywalker bloodline.

We're going again tomorrow.

The fight scenes are awesome, and the ships are even better
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I got tickets for the 10:40 showing and decided to come early,  like a little over two hours early and the line for the movie is out the door and wraps around the building for the 9am showing. What the fuck have I done? This actually sucks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
So can we say that having George Lucas nowhere near the script is the best decision that Disney made thus far?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#36]

My biggest beef with the story:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#37]
YES! Showing up to the movie two hours early paid off. They let us in the theater and told us the 10:40 theater was seating. We've got kickass seats.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

So he was young?
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No the midichlorian thing was idiotic and Lucas pulled it out of his ass because he decided that all of Star Wars was actually about Darth Vader despite all prior evidence to the contrary and wanted to give him a virgin birth to try to justify his half-assed changing around of what the story of Star Wars as a whole actually was.

The reason not every-fucking-person in the universe can control the Force isn't because they don't have the right DNA mutation to do so, but because most of them don't even believe in it. As for it being strong in certain bloodlines since it is a mystical thing it makes more sense that people and families who are spiritually attuned to it are more sensitive to moreso than a pulled out of ass genetic explanation does. DNA doesn't have spirituality, souls do. Even if said souls come back as the wrong fucking actor after a dullard rewrote scenes basically just to annoy people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck, guys. Think.

Thank god they got rid of that midichlorian bullshit in this film.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I have tickets tomorrow My concern is Ford looks t be playing an old man rather than an old Han Solo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck, guys. Think.

I thought midichlorian was heroin...??

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Watched it yesterday.  I give it about a 6.5/10.  Far, far better than the prequels, but not quite as good as the first movie.  I enjoyed the original trilogy, but was never a huge fan.

My 10-year-old son rated it infinity/10.  His exact words.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#43]

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' ticket sales hit an estimated $250 million worldwide through Friday, Disney says - @Reuters

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have tickets tomorrow My concern is Ford looks t be playing an old man rather than an old Han Solo.
View Quote

Don't worry, he does a very good job as an old Han Solo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought he nailed the part.  I never once though of him as anything other than an old Han Solo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So he was young?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

So he was young?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I thought he nailed the part.  I never once though of him as anything other than an old Han Solo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, and I actually thought he was more "Han-like" in this one than he was in Return of the Jedi, I always got the impression that in RotJ Ford was almost winking at the audience about being Han Solo more than just...well, being Han if that makes any sort of sense. In this one he was like Han from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, just old.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Viral Video Captures Moment When Projector Breaks During Late-Night Showing Of ‘Star Wars’; Crowd Goes Crazy.

A video posted to Facebook early
Friday apparently shows moviegoers at a late-night 3D screening at
Hollywood’s Arclight Cinemas of the latest installment of the "Star
Wars” saga nearly losing their minds after the projector failed.

The post from Erik Melendez read: "Projector at Star Wars midnight 3D
show at the Arclight ruined, stopped, then started again towards the
end of the movie. The movie was spoiled and everyone in the theater went
crazy.”

Audience members can be heard shouting "Noooo!” and screaming following the projector failure in the short video clip.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Movie is a 9/10 coming from a diehard fan.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I got tickets for the 10:40 showing and decided to come early,  like a little over two hours early and the line for the movie is out the door and wraps around the building for the 9am showing. What the fuck have I done? This actually sucks.
View Quote

Lol, that is what LP and I did last night for the 2230 showing but in the end. Worth it. Plus we saw it in Imax 3D lol
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top