Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kinda funny...............I have read articles that Ford didn't really care for the role of Han Solo. If you think about it, Han Solo and Decker from Blade Runner are roles that made him, along with American Graffiti

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kinda funny...............I have read articles that Ford didn't really care for the role of Han Solo. If you think about it, Han Solo and Decker from Blade Runner are roles that made him, along with American Graffiti

IMO, Indiana Jones was a bigger role for Harrison Ford than Decker, and I love Blade Runner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lots of empty seats here as well. Then again, it was showing on like half the screens in the complex, with a showing starting 20 minutes after ours did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw it tonight. I was going to wait until Tuesday and let the crowds die down but couldn't help it. And I was really surprised by how few people were in the theater. It's small town WV, but I worked at the theater when Episode 2 and 3 came out and they sold out every show the first few days. Anyway, the movie gets a solid 8/10 from me. The plots a little rehashed, but I felt like a kid when the text started scrolling at the beginning. My almost four year old is begging me to take him, but I'm kinda torn. He's watched the originals, but I'm thinking he may be a bit too young yet for this one.

Lots of empty seats here as well. Then again, it was showing on like half the screens in the complex, with a showing starting 20 minutes after ours did.

Just wait till this week when everyone is off for the week for the Christmas Holiday. Going to be busy all the way through New Years.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All the theaters around me sold out the 1st few shows...........I will have to wait a few days to see it here...........the crowds and repeat moviegoers are still legion

View All Quotes
Quoted:
All the theaters around me sold out the 1st few shows...........I will have to wait a few days to see it here...........the crowds and repeat moviegoers are still legion

Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw it tonight. I was going to wait until Tuesday and let the crowds die down but couldn't help it. And I was really surprised by how few people were in the theater. It's small town WV, but I worked at the theater when Episode 2 and 3 came out and they sold out every show the first few days. Anyway, the movie gets a solid 8/10 from me. The plots a little rehashed, but I felt like a kid when the text started scrolling at the beginning. My almost four year old is begging me to take him, but I'm kinda torn. He's watched the originals, but I'm thinking he may be a bit too young yet for this one.

It might have helped I attended the original language version. It's a good way to avoid the teeming masses and children.  The dubbed version might have been more crowded - it definitely had more showings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And removed a few bones from his brow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His eyes got closer together.

Hairline from his nose up completely changed.

Looks like somebody gave him a comb. Possibly some styling gel

I'm pretty sure that Carrie fisher had some work done. Why can't chewie? He probably needed to fool facial recognition software to dodge the department of empire security.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that Carrie fisher had some work done. Why can't chewie? He probably needed to fool facial recognition software to dodge the department of empire security.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude's like 230years old...cut him some slack

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, not spoilers (besides it Sunday night).  These are the four throw away bits that made the move for me:

1)  They turn on the guns in the Millennium Falcon and the targeting computers are 1977 monochromatic grid displays.

2)  Rey mentions that the Falcon did the Kessel run in 14 parsecs.  Han looks over his shoulder, looks pissed, and corrects her that it was 12

3)  BB8 giving the thumbs up

4)  Finn accidently turning on the chess game.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, not spoilers (besides it Sunday night).  These are the four throw away bits that made the move for me:

1)  They turn on the guns in the Millennium Falcon and the targeting computers are 1977 monochromatic grid displays.

2)  Rey mentions that the Falcon did the Kessel run in 14 parsecs.  Han looks over his shoulder, looks pissed, and corrects her that it was 12

View Quote

There's tons of fan service in the film.

I loved when Han during the briefing was all, "So how do we blow it up?  There's always a way to blow it up..."
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Those lines are lifted from Return of the Jedi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I don't need the spoiler tag, but maybe I do.
Click To View Spoiler

All except the last bit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All except the last bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

All except the last bit.

Last bit was in Jedi too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I loved when Han during the briefing was all, "So how do we blow it up?  There's always a way to blow it up..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When she said 14...I actually said "It was 12 you dumb ass"

Also...Finn picked up the floating ball laser thing that Luke used to practice his light saber with on the Falcon.

Not sure if mentioned...the radar/comm dish is now rectangular. So...it got replaced after Lando knocked it off...which was cool to see.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If you step back and say....

TFA is fan fiction made by a fan, for fans, but with a budget only God or Disney could provide.

It is a beautiful thing, made in spite of Lucas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also...Finn picked up the floating ball laser thing that Luke used to practice his light saber with on the Falcon.

Not sure if mentioned...the radar/comm dish is now rectangular. So...it got replaced after Lando knocked it off...which was cool to see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed the ball.  Something to look for in IMAX next week
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The movie was Episode IV redone.  Big disappointment.  If you had never seen the original New Hope, this would be awesome, but the story was the same.
View Quote

It definitely was. But I loved it for that, and for the fact that it was obviously a retelling, but also completely original.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It definitely was. But I loved it for that, and for the fact that it was obviously a retelling, but also completely original.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The movie was Episode IV redone.  Big disappointment.  If you had never seen the original New Hope, this would be awesome, but the story was the same.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Watched it yesterday.  I give it about a 6.5/10.  Far, far better than the prequels, but not quite as good as the first movie.  I enjoyed the original trilogy, but was never a huge fan.

My 10-year-old son rated it infinity/10.  His exact words.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

The villain being wimpy is actually a very important part of the story.  He is very conflicted between his two legacies, and as such he cannot find peace within himself. He is very strong with the Force, but this powerful conflict makes him weak.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
It was............but the other roles also helped launch him along, and prevented him from being typecast as just Indiana Jones..............and they were much better roles than some of his later work

Quoted:

IMO, Indiana Jones was a bigger role for Harrison Ford than Decker, and I love Blade Runner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A lot of trailers were made & released to throw us off...the movie was probably the biggest guarded secret of all hollywood/disney time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
A lot of trailers were made & released to throw us off...the movie was probably the biggest guarded secret of all hollywood/disney time.

Trailers - particularly Star Wars trailers - don't mean crap.

I mean, if you thought the Episode One trailer was going to be indicative of the movie, you'd think Eopies were major players in the flick. They literally had the same amount of time in the trailer as they did in the whole movie...
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But I don't think the movie would have been good without Ford, Fisher or Hamill

View All Quotes
Quoted:

But I don't think the movie would have been good without Ford, Fisher or Hamill

Quoted:
Harrison Ford nets $34 million for his role in The Force Awakens.

His salary is more than 76 times greater than that of British newcomers Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

They received £300,000 ($450,000 US) each for their starring roles in the movie, which opened in UK cinemas on Thursday. However, once worldwide box-office takings have topped the $1 billion mark, the pair will also start to receive a small cut.

A Disney source explained: ‘Harrison is the key to making this movie work. He’s the link between the old generation and the new. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were good to get, but the film could have lived without them. You couldn’t make it without Harrison Ford.’

Ford was paid just under £7,000 when he first played Han Solo in the original 1977 Star Wars film. This time around, he has already had a payout of over £1 million in compensation for breaking his leg during shooting at Pinewood Studios.

Although their earnings are eclipsed by Ford, Londoners Miss Ridley and Mr Boyega, both 23, are said to have had no hesitation signing up.

American J. J. Abrams, 49, was paid £3.3 million to direct the film, plus a two per cent share of gross earnings. Disney paid just over $4 billion to buy Lucas Films, which make Star Wars, three years ago.

Carrie Fisher, 59, was paid just over £1 million to bring back Princess Leia.

She signed away her image rights early in her association with Star Wars, meaning she misses out on merchandise revenues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3367360/Harrison-Ford-nets-23m-Star-Wars-s-76-times-newcomer-Daisy-Ridley.html  

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]
They should have had the Millennium Falcon crash into the Starkiller base golf course.  I was wondering if they made that scene after HF wrecked that nice old PT-22 WW II trainer.

I thought it was good, not great.  The very end was maybe a bit of a let down.
Where was that filmed by the way, with the rock steps going up the mountain?  Was some of that Skara Brea?

Space Nazis.  I hate these guys.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
You mean the Republic, right?

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you step back and say....

TFA is fan fiction made by a fan, for fans, but with a budget only God or Disney could provide.

It is a beautiful thing, made in spite of Lucas.
View Quote

This statement completely nails it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking! Even the Indy Quote. Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#25]

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

On third viewing, I really tried to hear more of that in the vision. I could have sworn I heard Alec Guinness and I'm glad I didn't miss-hear! Really cool they brought in even some prequel folks too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it.  Not as good as the first two movies, but on par with ROTJ I think, though with better acting.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The last part of that quote was not from VI.    I'm thinking it was from a cut scene for Ep VII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

The last part of that quote was not from VI.    I'm thinking it was from a cut scene for Ep VII.

It is from VI.

Leia:  You have a power I . . . I don't understand, and could never have.

Luke:  You're wrong, Leia.  You have that power too.  In time, you'll learn to use it as I have.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You quoted before my edit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

It is from VI.

Leia:  You have a power I . . . I don't understand, and could never have.

Luke:  You're wrong, Leia.  You have that power too.  In time, you'll learn to use it as I have.

You quoted before my edit.

I'm kind of disappointed that Leia in VII doesn't seem to have any midich.  er, Force.  Only her son does.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm kind of disappointed that Leia in VII doesn't seem to have any midich.  er, Force.  Only her son does.
View Quote

She does though.  You see her react to a death far off on another planet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Anakin = ?+mom
Rey = ?+mom

?=?

Just a theory.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anakin = ?+mom
Rey = ?+mom

?=?

Just a theory.
View Quote

No and stop talking about that prequels bullshit right now!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was afraid it was going to be like Mad Max: Fury Road where everyone was gah gah over it, yet it sucked giant donkey dick.
Don't even get me started on that POS. I was sitting in the theater with my head cocked to the side, confused, for half of the movie thinking "THIS is what everybody is fapping over?"
Funny that there were both dudes from Ex Machina in the movie, the Poe and the second in command dude.
I KNEW I recognized Poe from somewhere!

Yep, my wife and I were all, "I know that dude!"

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Ex-Machina-01-GQ-22Jan15_rex_b_1083x658.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d7/Poe_Dameron_infobox.png/revision/latest?cb=20151205210143

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PgekZ9wxv2A/Vgbyuo11MqI/AAAAAAAAICc/wNZEVJbkO6Q/s1600/ep7_ia_22591_r_74186433.jpeg

It took me a minute, but I recognized Poe from Sucker Punch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anakin = ?+mom
Rey = ?+mom

?=?

Just a theory.
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Imax - saw it 'cause I was bored.  Fun cartoon, rehash of the original for young'uns who weren't around back in 77.

2 funny things overheard on exiting:

- A hipster dyke SJW was railing loudly to her pink haired friend about the politically incorrect inclusion of First Order as Nazis imagery.  

- A 5ish YO asked his dad if there really were "brown people" in space
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you guys think it will topple Avatar in ticket sales?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:03:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A 5ish YO asked his dad if there really were "brown people" in space
View Quote

I expect Finn to be the son of Lando, the only other "brown person" in space.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Okay, stupid nerdy thing that I thought of late at night.

So if the new Starkiller (Deathstar Mk.III) is powered by suns, it has to be mobile right?

Did we see it move around?

It's not like they bring the suns to it.

Seems kinda big to be flying around.

Also weird how they didn't show it power up the first time via star rapage.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm surprised no PC butthurt has flown from Finn's MOS.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a "brown person" X-Wing pilot in RotJ during the attack on Death Star II, as far as I know his name was never mentioned, which is a good thing because it probably would have been Rando given George Lucas' lack of imagination when it comes to names, which would have solidified that the Calrissians are pretty much it.

There was also an "Asian-AmericanRebellion" A-Wing pilot in the same battle, he had pink goggles, his name was never mentioned either, which is also a good thing because (again, since Lucas sucks at coming up with names) it would probably have been Geo Ta-Kei. Pink googles, oh my!

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#44]
We saw it last night. Great. On the order of A New Hope and Empire. For me, Return of the Jedi was getting gay and the last three sucked. Now I am looking forward to May 2017!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love when he turns the Dejarik board on Chewie looks up and over like, "Sweet, it's time to pull arms out of someone's sockets."
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He looked at the remote and didn't know what it was.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There was a "brown person" X-Wing pilot in RotJ during the attack on Death Star II, as far as I know his name was never mentioned, which is a good thing because it probably would have been Rando given George Lucas' lack of imagination when it comes to names, which would have solidified that the Calrissians are pretty much it.

There was also an "Asian-AmericanRebellion" A-Wing pilot in the same battle, he had pink goggles, his name was never mentioned either, which is also a good thing because (again, since Lucas sucks at coming up with names) it would probably have been Geo Ta-Kei. Pink googles, oh my!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just remembered there was also Mace Windu (Samuel L Jackson).  I guess I had mentally blocked out Episodes I-III.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Saw it Sunday with kids. They loved it, I thought the plot was a repeat of everything we have seen before. How many times will we be forced to watch a death star
or death planet explode ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Saw it Sunday with kids. They loved it, I thought the plot was a repeat of everything we have seen before. How many times will we be forced to watch a death star
or death planet explode ?
View Quote

I'm glad they haven't learned anything from the other Death Stars getting exploded.

They keep building them bigger and bigger with that one weak point....

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We saw it last night. Great. On the order of A New Hope and Empire. For me, Return of the Jedi was getting gay and the last three sucked. Now I am looking forward to May 2017!!
View Quote

No love for Rogue One?
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top