User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2014 11:13:51 AM EDT

The article in the CL:
Clarion Ledger Article

Times Picayune Article

The University wants to rename Confederate Drive so it doesn't offend anyone and remove some symbols from campus.  The Sons of Confederate Veterans is suing to prevent the change.  I didn't go to school there but I have been over there many times.  For those who aren't familiar with the University's Military history, I'll give a brief summary:

Shortly after the State voted for secession in 1861, a call went out for able-bodied men to join the militia for the common defense of the new Mississippi Republic.  The University of Mississippi's students and faculty answered that call and we're mustered into service at the Lafayette Courthouse (the one in the middle of the Square).  All but two students were absent on the first day of class in the fall of '61 and the University was temporarily closed.  The militia unit was then sent to Corinth to be mustered into the Confederate States Army.  They were given the designation Company A, 11th Mississippi Infantry and we're informally known as "The University Grays".  They boarded trains and we're sent east to join the newly formed Army of Northern Virginia at Harper's Ferry.  They served honorably in the Eastern Valley Campaign for two years and earned a reputation as hard fighters who could get the job done.  June of 1863 they were sent to Gettysburg.  They arrived on the field late on the second day as part of General George Pickett's Division.  They took part in the famous charge where the 11th sustained 100% (yes, one hundred percent) casualties.  Some of the captured and wounded returned to the area after the war and resumed classes at the University.  Their original Unit Colors are on display at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA.

More info on the 11th

No matter how you may feel about the politics of the American Civil War the students and faculty of Ole Miss served honorably and I believe it to be disrespectful and a ridiculous attempt to alter history for political and social reasons.  You can't change history because it may or may not offend someone, and it is no different than what is happening in Colorado with the history textbooks.  If we don't learn from history we are doomed to repeat it and all that noise.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The article in the CL:
Clarion Ledger Article

Times Picayune Article

The University wants to rename Confederate Drive so it doesn't offend anyone and remove some symbols from campus.  The Sons of Confederate Veterans is suing to prevent the change.  I didn't go to school there but I have been over there many times.  For those who aren't familiar with the University's Military history, I'll give a brief summary:

Shortly after the State voted for secession in 1861, a call went out for able-bodied men to join the militia for the common defense of the new Mississippi Republic.  The University of Mississippi's students and faculty answered that call and we're mustered into service at the Lafayette Courthouse (the one in the middle of the Square).  All but two students were absent on the first day of class in the fall of '61 and the University was temporarily closed.  The militia unit was then sent to Corinth to be mustered into the Confederate States Army.  They were given the designation Company A, 11th Mississippi Infantry and we're informally known as "The University Grays".  They boarded trains and we're sent east to join the newly formed Army of Northern Virginia at Harper's Ferry.  They served honorably in the Eastern Valley Campaign for two years and earned a reputation as hard fighters who could get the job done.  June of 1863 they were sent to Gettysburg.  They arrived on the field late on the second day as part of General George Pickett's Division.  They took part in the famous charge where the 11th sustained 100% (yes, one hundred percent) casualties.  Some of the captured and wounded returned to the area after the war and resumed classes at the University.  Their original Unit Colors are on display at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA.

More info on the 11th

No matter how you may feel about the politics of the American Civil War the students and faculty of Ole Miss served honorably and I believe it to be disrespectful and a ridiculous attempt to alter history for political and social reasons.  You can't change history because it may or may not offend someone, and it is no different than what is happening in Colorado with the history textbooks.  If we don't learn from history we are doomed to repeat it and all that noise.

Discuss.
View Quote

most people outside of the south will never understand this, and we will always be labeled racist for honoring our
fallen soldiers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Revisionist fucks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
These guys wont be satisfied until the entirety of the confederacy has been scrubbed from existence.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The PC bullshit has got to stop. Lets rewrite our history so 12.5% of the population,quits sniveling.
"I don't think so"
Besides no matter what we do. They will never be happy.
Enough will never be enough.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Trying to control the South then and now.

Those boys answered the call - and attempting to erase their memory is shameful.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
No longer flying Confederate Flags at games either. The University had quite a reputation during integration as well. All Southern history of the War and its aftermath is bound to be eviscerated under the knife of communism.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No longer flying Confederate Flags at games either. The University had quite a reputation during integration as well. All Southern history of the War and its aftermath is bound to be eviscerated under the knife of communism.
View Quote

Yeah and they kicked Col Reb to the curb.  Da bears! Fins up!    

NO!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Revisionist fucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Been going on in earnest 20+ years. PCU personified
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The only reason olemiss (they will eventually get rid of that name as well) is trying to get rid of any references to the old south is to help them In recruiting black football players.  Olemiss is divided over the whole thing.  Some want to keep it all and some are convinced they will win a national championship if they get rid of any old south symbolism.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My alma mater. Its been going on for years. No flag, no Col. Reb, and they made the band quit playing "From Dixie with Love". They still play Dixie after a score, but I really miss "From Dixie with Love".

Sad is all I can say.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The PC bullshit has got to stop. Lets rewrite our history so 12.5% of the population,quits sniveling.
"I don't think so"
View Quote

Its not the blacks who are at fault. It is elitest liberals who, filled with white guilt, are trying to make themselves feel better about themselves. Instead of learning from our mistakes and not repeating history, these assholes are trying to completely erase history all-together. Hell, there is a confederate cemetery right next to the basketball stadium.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
As a US history teacher....this is complete bullshit to change that. I always educated my students on Maryland's civil war history so they know our state fought for both the North and the South. Something they don't like to teach here. I keep a 1st MD INF CSA colors in my classroom.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
[snip]  I didn't go to school there but I have been over there many times.  [snip]

View Quote

I promise I'm not pointing this post at you specifically but the key bit in your post is part the larger problem.  The University of MS is chartered to educate students;  not to field a great football team, not provide a great place to get drunk on Saturday, not to acquiesce to a bunch of knot heads from Tallahatchie County who never attended Ole Miss every time said knot heads get riled up at some Citizens Council meeting, not to turn a blind to some frat boys from GA who think it's a funny joke to hang nooses around campus.  

The administration makes changes as they see fit to increase enrollment and improve quality of education.  Sometimes that means pissing off alumni and the general public.  

FWIW there is a large stained glass window in Ventress hall depicting the University Grays heading off to battle.  It's a much better commemoration than Confederate drive.   Ventress was just renovated after water damage.  The University could have left the window out of the renovation but instead opted to spend a considerable sum of money having the window refurbished.  

BTW Coliseum Drive is now Chucky Mullins Drive.  

Again, I'm not picking on you but, people not involved with Ole Miss trying to control University business is kind of like me telling you what kind of car to drive.  It's none of my business.  -J

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The only reason olemiss (they will eventually get rid of that name as well) is trying to get rid of any references to the old south is to help them In recruiting black football players.  Olemiss is divided over the whole thing.  Some want to keep it all and some are convinced they will win a national championship if they get rid of any old south symbolism.
View Quote
LOL.  It doesn't have a fucking thing to do with football.  -J

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My alma mater. Its been going on for years. No flag, no Col. Reb, and they made the band quit playing "From Dixie with Love". They still play Dixie after a score, but I really miss "From Dixie with Love".

Sad is all I can say.
View Quote

Did they tell you about their history when you went there?

Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth on MSCCCP or CNN if they knew about this?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Its not the blacks who are at fault. It is elitest liberals who, filled with white guilt, are trying to make themselves feel better about themselves. Instead of learning from our mistakes and not repeating history, these assholes are trying to completely erase history all-together. Hell, there is a confederate cemetery right next to the basketball stadium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"I don't think so"

I won't argue with you at all there. The group you mentioned is the major part of the problem.!
But they end up feeding off one another. Making matters worse., for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I promise I'm not pointing this post at you specifically but the key bit in your post is part the larger problem.  The University of MS is chartered to educate students;  not to field a great football team, not provide a great place to get drunk on Saturday, not to acquiesce to a bunch of knot heads from Tallahatchie County who never attended Ole Miss every time said knot heads get riled up at some Citizens Council meeting, not to turn a blind to some frat boys from GA who think it's a funny joke to hang nooses around campus.  

The administration makes changes as they see fit to increase enrollment and improve quality of education.  Sometimes that means pissing off alumni and the general public.  

FWIW there is a large stained glass window in Ventress hall depicting the University Grays heading off to battle.  It's a much better commemoration than Confederate drive.   Ventress was just renovated after water damage.  The University could have left the window out of the renovation but instead opted to spend a considerable sum of money having the window refurbished.  

Again, I'm not picking on you but, people not involved with Ole Miss trying to control University business is kind of like me telling you what kind of car to drive.  It's none of my business.  -J

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[snip]  I didn't go to school there but I have been over there many times.  [snip]

What's your fuckin' problem with Tallahatchie county?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to change anything over there, I'm not Alumni,  and I dont live in Lafayette County, but why does the street name need to be changed?  Has there been that many student/faculty complaints?  It's some PC bullshit and nobody can run from the past.  You can try but you just wind up worse than you started.  The changing or not changing of a street name shouldn't interfere with University Business, if it does maybe the city of Oxford needs to handle it.  

It sounds like a bunch of Uber liberal white guilt people trying to make themselves look and feel better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
These guys wont be satisfied until the entirety of the confederacy has been scrubbed from existence.
View Quote

They still wont be satisfied until their culture completely obliterates our own
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...then I wish everyone would quit citing that when they rah-rah all this bullshit.

-Ole Miss alum
-Tallahatchie county native

Fuck Ole Miss.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I mention you personally?   Strike a nerve?  Since you asked nicely it's because I've met more pig headed, racist, shitbirds from the Free State than any other county in MS. And by shitbirds I mean nice christian businessmen who say all the right things in public but then behind closed doors it's, "n***r this and n****r that".  It makes it easier to pick on you guys.  Would you rather I had picked on Marshall County?    -J

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
The only dishonor is re-writing history for personal or political advantage.

My great- Grandpa (yes,only ONE 'great') fought for the Union during the Civil War.I have not the slightest reluctance to say that the CSA should honor,revere and maintain their true history.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Changed mascot from left to right

...WTAF
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so you know, Tallahatchie County is Bulldog country.  Ain't too many 'Ol Miss folks around there.  All my kin come from Sumner and Tutwiler so I should know.  Hail State!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#27]
It's a business decision.  It's about money ultimately. Isn't everything in? All that football money?  It stays with the athletic department.  Ole Miss like any other business runs on money.  Some money comes from taxes.  More money comes from tuition.  Still more money comes in from grants.  State, Federal and private.  Money comes in from grants because quality faculty apply for said grants.   There are costs associated with acquiring quality faculty.  Why does anyone take and keep a job.  Money and quality of life.  Not having Confederate Dr. may make the pool of quality faculty that would live and work in Oxford larger.  Not having  Confederate Dr. may cause a large pharmaceutical company to grant money to the Ole Miss, might not.  Business decision.

For the record.  No, I'm not originally from MS.  I've only been here about twenty years.  Yes, I did graduate from Ole Miss but later in life than most.  No, I do not work for the University of MS.  We have no intention of leaving MS.  It's a great place to live and raise a family. Even the greatest of places have a skeleton or two in the closet.   -J  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did I mention you personally?   Strike a nerve?  Since you asked nicely it's because I've met more pig headed, racist, shitbirds from the Free State than any other county in MS. And by shitbirds I mean nice christian businessmen who say all the right things in public but then behind closed doors it's, "n***r this and n****r that".  It makes it easier to pick on you guys.  Would you rather I had picked on Marshall County?    -J  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pumps your brakes kid.  That's where the Farese's are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

NO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!

we had this discussion at work

one of my Airmen went to Ole Miss for about two years and was beyond pissed when they got rid of Col Reb, what amused me, being a Yankee, was that the Airman was a black dude and was pissed at the revisionist PC bullshit.

As to changing the name given the history of the college during the Civil War, I think its PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

one of my Airmen went to Ole Miss for about two years and was beyond pissed when they got rid of Col Reb, what amused me, being a Yankee, was that the Airman was a black dude and was pissed at the revisionist PC bullshit.

As to changing the name given the history of the college during the Civil War, I think its PC bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!

Most of the black people around here either didn't give a shit or thought it was a stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha.  You won't convince anyone that is from here and knows anything about the situation of that.  It may not be completely about that now, but they started talking about doing this stuff many years ago,  before P.C. was all the rage.  Most of the sec coaches would use it against them in recruiting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Losers.

UT has a statue of Jefferson Davis on the Mall.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No, I do not work for the University of MS.  We have no intention of leaving MS.  It's a great place to live and raise a family. Even the greatest of places have a skeleton or two in the closet.   -J  
View Quote

I DO work for Ole Miss / University of Mississippi. I moved to Oxford from to Gulfport my freshman year.  No matter what they take away or change at Ole Miss, I'll always love it.  Symbols don't make the place.  The memories do and I have some great ones.  Great food, great music, great sports, and BEAUTIFUL WOMEN EVERYWHERE!  It IS a great place to raise a family.  If I didn't live in Oxford, I probably wouldn't live in Mississippi. If any of you ever make it down here for a game, give me shout.  I'll give you the nickel tour (I said nickel...). It's the best town in the state IMHO.

I hope they keep Confederate Drive.  It leads directly to the Confederate Cemetery.  My question is what do they plan on doing with the Confederate Cemetery located behind Tad Smith Coliseum once the coliseum is demolished?

http://visitoxfordms.com/attractions/confederate-cemetery/
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Lol, not surprising

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]
hell yes, rename it.  Replace the statue at the entrance to the Grove Circle with a statue of Nelson Mandela.  Don't forget to dig up the monument that is behind the Tad Pad either.

FFS...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
hell yes, rename it.  Replace the statue at the entrance to the Grove Circle with a statue of Nelson Mandela.  Don't forget to dig up the monument that is behind the Tad Pad either.

FFS...
View Quote

I think you're thinking of Forrest Park in Memphis...

But thats another story
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://aldland.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/untitled1.jpg

...WTAF
View Quote

They're the Ol Miss BEARS now? How'd I miss that?

could be worse, I guess. here's the UC Santa Cruz mascot

yep, that's a banana slug.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Even after the mascot/name change, everyone still calls Ole Miss the Rebels.  Their mascot is Colonel Reb, always will be.

one mo' time, Hail State!

P.S.  There's going to be a whole lot of crying in Oxford when Dak comes to town and beats that ass!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Would you rather I had picked on Marshall County?    -J  

Been a long time since anyone called me kid.  Yep, I've met a Farese or two.   I can think of a few unfortunate situations that I hope to never experience where the first person I would call would be a Farese. Wouldn't want them as enemies.  I have good friends from both counties, but they are fun to pick on.   -J

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Dedicated this week...

Diversity
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. Ole Piss has a shortage of black players.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

But thats another story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS...

But thats another story

Grove Circle Statue

monument behind the Tad Pad

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Losers.

View Quote

UT has a statue of Jefferson Davis on the Mall.
And Robert E. Lee, Albert Sydney Johnston, and John H. Reagan (postmaster general of the CSA).

They are continually trying to get these statues removed.  When I was there, some of the libtard kids (and there are a lot of them at UT) would deface the statues with bleach or graffiti.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dedicated this week...

Diversity
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Dedicated this week...

Diversity

Unfortunately, the University of Mississippi has ghosts from the past that obstruct its development,” said Velasquez, who is also president of the Latin American Student Organization. “This is why I believe that by providing a safe and comfortable atmosphere for expression and dialogue, the creation of the new Center for Inclusion and Cross Cultural Engagement is one of the many steps that the university will make to strive for equality within the Ole Miss community.

Really?

This is why I have a problem with changing the street name.  Changing a street name is not a big deal and it happens all the time but it's the reasoning behind it that makes me oppose it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Been a long time since anyone called me kid.  Yep, I've met a Farese or two.   I can think of a few unfortunate situations that I hope to never experience where the first person I would call would be a Farese. Wouldn't want them as enemies.  I have good friends from both counties, but they are fun to pick on.   -J  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Would you rather I had picked on Marshall County?    -J  

"Pump your brakes kid" is from Tropic Thunder.
  If you need to beat a murder rap, Better call Farese.  Joey Langston used to be good also, but that's another story...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Was anyone at Ole Miss in Spring 2002 when the hate crime hoax happened?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally speaking it's hard to live there and not be racist, given as how the natives couldn't properly manage a lemonade stand and the county is becoming a train wreck.

Had one of those teach for America kids come down from up north a few years back. He was all aghast and indignant at local attitudes, then after 2 years at West Tally he was ready to join the Klan.

I try to treat people as individuals, but I no longer give a shit about someone else disliking an unproductive and less well behaved subculture.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

could be worse, I guess here's the UC Santa Cruz mascot

http://www.ucsc.edu/about/images/mascot-550_v2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://aldland.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/untitled1.jpg

...WTAF

could be worse, I guess here's the UC Santa Cruz mascot

http://www.ucsc.edu/about/images/mascot-550_v2.jpg

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#49]
It's done.  Name has been changed.  Earlier in the week it was Confederate Drive.  It must have been changed in the middle of the night.  That's when trees are cut down for construction projects.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When I was there, some of the libtard kids (and there are a lot of them at UT) would deface the statues with bleach or graffiti.
View Quote

So, they were trying to make them WHITER?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top