Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2014 12:38:53 PM EDT
We've recently purchased some new furniture which is very nice and even made here in the U.S.   But I got to looking around for a small bookcase for the kids and came across Berg furniture.  Anyway, they talk about how they make their furniture, which you can read here:  http://www.bergfurniture.com/consTech.php

I'm not a carpenter so I have no real clue how this stuff is made, but I found it interesting to read about.  Is most all furniture made this way today?  Are there any furniture manufacturers who make it differently?  Because I guess I was still under the impression that the companies who made this stuff still had to select single, large pieces of good wood for portions of whatever they're making.  Is there any benefit or disadvantage to doing it this way?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
All junk unless you pay big bucks for someone who has a small shop.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bro, have you priced hardwood?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
It used to be called plywood.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We've recently purchased some new furniture which is very nice and even made here in the U.S.   But I got to looking around for a small bookcase for the kids and came across Berg furniture.  Anyway, they talk about how they make their furniture, which you can read here:  http://www.bergfurniture.com/consTech.php

I'm not a carpenter so I have no real clue how this stuff is made, but I found it interesting to read about.  Is most all furniture made this way today?  Are there any furniture manufacturers who make it differently?  Because I guess I was still under the impression that the companies who made this stuff still had to select single, large pieces of good wood for portions of whatever they're making.  Is there any benefit or disadvantage to doing it this way?
View Quote

Go to an Amish Furniture store.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Amish Oak FTW!!!

ETA  Beat by 38 seconds
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Almost all "wood"  commercial furniture, whether residential or office, is veneer-over-substrate. . . Some high end custom conference tables may have a true solid wood edge---1--3" thick depending upon the design, but the rest of table is veneered.  The only other "solid wood" furniture would be repurposed wood---that is old sunken logs or former barn planks, etc, used to make a table. . .

There is good reason for this:  the substrate material (MDF, "Chipcore", etc) is more stable (ie resists shrinking, warping ,etc), lighter and easier to work with than solid wood.  I recently installed a 20' x 6' x 2" thick repurposed table for a client---each piece (10' x 6') weighed over 400lbs. . . and that was just the top. . .

My office has a repurposed table that is 4" thick..  We had to have the floor checked by an engineer to make sure it could take the load. . .

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Every piece of furniture I have has been either free / dirt cheap used, or hand made (self or professional custom) because I can't find a reasonable cost place that 1) has natural wood finishes that I like, and 2) doesn't used sawdust board of some kind.
Currently building convertible bunk beds by hand.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Go put apart a couch.

Cheap 2x3 or smaller lumber, maybe some plastic braces, staples and CARDBOARD!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
This is why I like antique furniture.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, but modern "plywood" furniture can be done right.  Just ask Ray and Charles Eames.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the Amish furniture.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Every piece of furniture I have has been either free / dirt cheap used, or hand made (self or professional custom) because I can't find a reasonable cost place that 1) has natural wood finishes that I like, and 2) doesn't used sawdust board of some kind.
Currently building convertible bunk beds by hand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn't have to be antique. I make furniture out of mostly solid wood and only use sheet goods (plywood) for large surfaces. It's almost always edged with solid wood.

http://www.flint7.com/Furniture/Desk5.jpg
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I build my own.  

But I do know my wife likes to go to Downeast Outfitters and browse.  They have solid wood stuff.  We have a desk from there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bro, have you priced hardwood?
View Quote

Earlier this year when I bought a truck of S2S oak it was ~$3.25 a board foot for 4/4.  

The king headboard and footboard I am building will cost less than most people's monthly grocery bill.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have plenty of antique furniture - plywood is nothing new.  Layers with alternating grain direction produces a stronger product.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Amish furniture.
View Quote

And another.

Within the last year, I've bought 2 bedroom sets, Amish made, Elm.

They're very nice, and will outlast me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the right answer.

We bought two night stands and one dresser 12 years ago.  It was pricy : about $2500
But it is worth every penny.

ETA:  Sometimes, antique stores will have good oak furnitures for very good price.  We found my daugter's dresser that way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ETA:  Sometimes, antique stores will have good oak furnitures for very good price.  We found my daugter's dresser that way.
View Quote

Also check "vintage" or "1920s/1930s" furniture on craigslist.

I've found a bunch of solid wood furniture for cheap before.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You can find reasonably-priced solid wood stuff at the "unfinished" places.  Apart from Craigslist that's been the best bang for my buck, to date.

I can't afford Amish stuff and I'm not willing to pay more than $20 for anything that my kids are bound to destroy.  My master bedroom and dining room are entirely furnished with solid Alder stuff that I finished myself.

ETA: the bedroom set was five pieces (queen bed, dresser, mirror, night stand, and lingerie) that cost me $1,500 eleven years ago.  I might have spent another $50 on stain, poly, and consumables; but I spent a couple of weeks getting the pieces done.  After two cross-country moves and the years of hard use It's all holding up quite well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Real wood is fucking expensive. Its out there, just not at your neighborhood furniture store.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
We usually buy Amish-built furniture.  We can specify the wood (solid cherry, maple, oak, or whatever) and the finish.  The places we like will do custom or semi-custom work as well. We needed a new corner TV cabinet but the stock size was a bit too big, so they scaled it down for us.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly why I have a small woodshop.  I refuse to buy or make anything with MDF, particle board, or "engineered lumber".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
All my furniture is made of a solid soft wood and plywood. Shit's not cheap either, bedroom set was like 5k
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

Mine came from a guy who works in a city with two lumber mills.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
couches are the exception, but we buy antique furniture only.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Exactly why I have a small woodshop.  I refuse to buy or make anything with MDF, particle board, or "engineered lumber".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MDF is actually an excellent substrate for sawn veneer.  It's not something that I use because it didn't exist in 1780-1820, but used appropriately there's nothing inherently wrong with it.  Problems arise when it's used as carcase material in cabinetry or as door/drawer stock.  

And I've got a bunch of shop jigs for making banding that use veneer.  THAT is one thing that it does excellently.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup, but modern "plywood" furniture can be done right.  Just ask Ray and Charles Eames.  

http://blog.wanken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Eames-Lounge-Chair-and-Ottoman.jpeg
http://www.vastudc.com/images/LCW_Walnut_Front.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://blog.wanken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Eames-Lounge-Chair-and-Ottoman.jpeg
http://www.vastudc.com/images/LCW_Walnut_Front.jpg

I'd take a Windsor over that any day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Modern furniture in general is not meant to span generations. It was built for it's purpose and to look good until something else came along. Exceptions would Eames, Vodder and and other Danish artists. There are alot of cheap copies. If I cannot make it then I have to look at the builder. Some of my pieces are MCM danish and veneered. Some are Stickley, or T. Moser, or something I know to be quality. Plywood and venner is not a deal breaker, just look at how it is built and joined. I am typing this from my Stickley Morris chair.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is why I like antique furniture.
View Quote

Yup, and you don't need an antique shop for it, go find a thrift shop run by little old ladies, they generally have lots of old tables, desks, that are older, built "like they used to", and it's not all particle board garbage.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Almost all "wood"  commercial furniture, whether residential or office, is veneer-over-substrate. . . Some high end custom conference tables may have a true solid wood edge---1--3" thick depending upon the design, but the rest of table is veneered.  The only other "solid wood" furniture would be repurposed wood---that is old sunken logs or former barn planks, etc, used to make a table. . .

There is good reason for this:  the substrate material (MDF, "Chipcore", etc) is more stable (ie resists shrinking, warping ,etc), lighter and easier to work with than solid wood.  I recently installed a 20' x 6' x 2" thick repurposed table for a client---each piece (10' x 6') weighed over 400lbs. . . and that was just the top. . .

My office has a repurposed table that is 4" thick..  We had to have the floor checked by an engineer to make sure it could take the load. . .

View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
If your talking a sofa or a chair. Take it to an upholstery shop. My dad has been in business since 1991 and I have learned over the years that you can take an older solid wood framed piece of furniture and have it redone for a reasonable price. The junk even most 5k sofas will not have a solid wood frame. My sectional is all oak and the smallest piece of wood on it is 5/4. We paid 100 bucks for it on Craigslist and dad did the labor for free for our wedding present.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#36]
You can still get good wood furniture. It's very expensive. Century Furniture, Hickory Chair, Council, all from N Carolina. Statton from Maryland.The stigma attached to
veneered furniture is not always deserved. Some really gorgeous furniture is veneered.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#37]
A table saw, a planer, a shit-ton of clamps, and a big pile of wood is the way to go if you want quality furniture.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#38]
My GF just bought a nice condo in MidTown Miami on the 19th floor facing the intercostal/Miami Beach.  She's got an 800 sq.ft. wrap-around balcony, so she wanted some nice 'balcony height' patio furniture.  We've been looking for six weeks and happened into a place selling outdoor stuff and carrying table/chairs/chaises made out of solid Bolivan Ipe' wood, by Jensen Leisure.

It's the 7th hardest wood in the world and mimics Teak around water and in extreme weather conditions.

It wasn't cheap, but it's built really well and made in Virginia.  They use certified wood, so it's not the hacks out there raping the rain forest.

She got two those swivel chairs, two of their 'backed' stools and a rectangular table:

Jensen Leisure Ipe' wood patio furniture.

You have to look, but traditional methods are still being practiced.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I get my wood furniture custom built by Amish in the next county over. It's built to last generations, and not much more expensive than the junk you find in chain stores.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Antiques are the way to go if you want hardwood or solid wood furniture imo.  On the other hand, my dad makes new furniture out of pretty much any hardwood. He doesn't use any power tools - just REALLY old school craftsmanship with hand tools.  I've got a few pieces he's made out of walnut and cherry, even have a single board coffee table.  The wood isn't cheap, but it can be had.

I have a couple of pieces from the 1700s that cost less than what just the wood would cost nowadays.  I'm an antiques fan though; love the history on everything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, I've seen decent stuff made out of cheap hardwood withe veneers but it all comes from China. Even that shit is pricey so I want to say yes particle board is the norm. All the stuff I have is hardwood but it's older antique'y stuff acquired by family or found at yard sales and refinished. I've got to get my toddler a bed but will likely go with one of those cutesy race-car/rocket ship beds that will get destroyed any way.

Note, Costo does have some nice-looking hardwood (with veneers) at attractive prices but again it's from China if that matters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My GF just bought a nice condo in MidTown Miami on the 19th floor facing the intercostal/Miami Beach.  She's got an 800 sq.ft. wrap-around balcony, so she wanted some nice 'balcony height' patio furniture.  We've been looking for six weeks and happened into a place selling outdoor stuff and carrying table/chairs/chaises made out of solid Bolivan Ipe' wood, by Jensen Leisure.

It's the 7th hardest wood in the world and mimics Teak around water and in extreme weather conditions.

It wasn't cheap, but it's built really well and made in Virginia.  They use certified wood, so it's not the hacks out there raping the rain forest.

She got two those swivel chairs, two of their 'backed' stools and a rectangular table:

http://jensenleisurefurniture.com/temp/enlarge/Opal-Swivel-Hi-Dining-Group.jpg

Jensen Leisure Ipe' wood patio furniture.

You have to look, but traditional methods are still being practiced.

Chris

View Quote

Ipe (pronounced eee-pay) is a stone cold bitch to work.  I've got a pile of it stickered and drying that's going to go to building a covered porch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#43]
As said, if you want good wood furniture have to pay for it. Otherwise you'll be getting a combination of veneered wood, with allot of it made in China/Vietnam...companies like Hooker, Flexsteel, etc. Even Stickley, while its good, its very expensive for what you get. I would rather go with a custom woodmaker, or at the least a company like JL Treharn (semi custom).

John Buchanan work for example, this is very traditional (New England Tea Table)...but he'll build anything you want. He does amazing stuff.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#44]
All of my furniture is hand crafted Amish made from real oak.

Granted it was very expensive and most people could not afford it...but I want quality stuff, and I was willing to spend some $$$ to have it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have plenty of antique furniture - plywood is nothing new.  Layers with alternating grain direction produces a stronger product.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I got this couch from an auction and when it arrived I couldn't believe how much they were struggling to carry it. Then I saw the bolts that hold the legs on. They were 8" long and went through the legs. Not the legs that you screw into place. I had to turn it upright and install the legs after it was placed. If I had to guess the couch was well over 150lbs. (estimate based on deadlift workouts)  Dog was sold separately.

ETA: I looked, the couch was built in 2001.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#47]
A big part of the problem is the availability of decent woods.

You can buy hardwood fairly cheap but it isn't the same as the old-growth wood that actually makes heirloom quality furniture.

In a lot of cases a well built piece that uses laminates and such is superior to what can be built from third growth solid wood.

The bigger problem is the market driving quality down, mass-produced junk is more profitable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As said, if you want good wood furniture have to pay for it. Otherwise you'll be getting a combination of veneered wood, with allot of it made in China/Vietnam...companies like Hooker, Flexsteel, etc. Even Stickley, while its good, its very expensive for what you get. I would rather go with a custom woodmaker, or at the least a company like JL Treharn (semi custom).

John Buchanan work for example, this is very traditional (New England Tea Table)...but he'll build anything you want. He does amazing stuff.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2635&d=1308258536
http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2632&d=1308258520  
View Quote

I've got a Statton table(cherry) that's almost identical except for that beautiful wood. Walnut, I'm guessing?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I haven't furniture shopped for a while, but Lay-Z Boy furniture was one of the last holdouts on making furniture with real wood and springs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I've got a Statton table(cherry) that's almost identical except for that beautiful wood. Walnut, I'm guessing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2635&d=1308258536

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2632&d=1308258520  

That's actually Tiger Maple....it is very nice.

Check this out, while not a fan of the style (English Butler's Tray Table), the wood is amazing. This is about the most expensive wood you can get on furniture, its highly figured cherry (or Flame cherry). Almost never used due to cost.

Buchanan piece as well.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top