Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2014 10:04:22 AM EDT
It ruins my life, I am deathly afraid of heights, like when I go on a hike I hug the inside of the mountain, have any of you all conquered this fear? If so any tips?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to be terrified but I got tired of not being able to do fun things because of fear. Also I work with heights at work now, and facing the fear repetivaly because I have to do it to get paid had really helped

Changing bulbs on a 60' light pole

This was a mill on the river somewhere around 150'
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yes. Back in the army. It was either rope down or stay up. After that it was shitty russian helos maintained with duct tape since the fall of soviet union. Now my fear of heights has become more like deep respect to cliffs or edges without rails...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to do alot of work in refineries and other similar heavy industries.  Part of the job was climbing in excess of 150ft on a daily basis.  I ended up quitting because i couldn't overcome this fear.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#4]
This pertains to me. I missed going up in the sears tower because of  my fear of heights...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a few drinks.  Knocks that edge right off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need help unless it renders you paralized and gives you panic attacks. Acrophobia is serious; what you have just seems like a natural fear (being able to  hike still while being afraid of the height)
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]
In my younger days I couldn't go up a ladder more than 7 or 8 steps.  I couldn't go up to the second floor window to cover the air conditioner for the winter.  As I got older and had to do work on my house up high it kind of just went away.  Last summer I spent 3 months up on a ladder on the second floor working on the gutters and had to be careful I didn't forget where I was and fall off I was so relaxed.  I had to keep an arm around the ladder to remind myself.  Just doesn't bother me anymore. I don't know why but a lot of things change as you get older.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Just have to expose yourself to it. It will feel uncomfortable; but you can't let that feeling control you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Not so much the height but the fear of falling, but not so much the falling as the sudden stop at the end.

when I was a kid I had a pretty nasty fall that gave me a concussion for 8 days and left a permanent dent in my skull. Now I have a healthy respect for high places and just follow safety procedures.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I'm just afraid of falling.

I can pilot a small ultralight fine, but get me on a lift running cable @ 50' and it scares the shit out of me.

It's something to do with perceived control.  I think.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Watch the movie Reo Williams: The Adventure Begins

There are techniques in it to get over your fear.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a structural engineer and afraid of heights. It sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not afraid of falling, just the sudden stop.

I am not afraid of drowning, but taking my last shot.

I am not afraid pain, but the lack of pain I fear.

I am not afraid of dying, but knowing I won't be here.

- Shotgunfatcat
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Fuck that
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that

x87. One slip or muscle cramp and its over.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't look down.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

watching shit like that actually gives me a mild panic attack. I cant help but feeling like I'm about to fall to my death, or worse, live through it...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Tall buildings and airplanes don't scare me. Going up/down ladders does.

When I had to go up a 32' ladder on a daily basis at a job, I got used to it after a week and it didn't bother me. Didn't do it for a month and the fear set right back in.

I guess repetition will keep it at bay.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#20]
If it's an irrational fear of heights I don't know how to help.

A rational fear of falling can be overcome pretty easily by working your way up slowly and building confidence in your ability to avoid falling.

I had a lot of trouble with working at heights when I started framing houses, that was after I'd been in the military and jumped out of airplanes and such. Experience and confidence eventually fixed it, I had no trouble at all. Now I don't do that kind of thing anymore it would probably scare me because the muscle memory and confidence in my skills is eroded.

Wish you the best either way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#21]
As a kid going over (and stopping in the middle of ) The Royal Gorge Bridge on a windy day.....
Looking out into the Grand Canyon from an observation area with 2 foot high cable fence....
Looking over the edge at Lembert Dome in Yosemite...

Ok with flying, sat in the plexiglas nose turret of a B-24 out over Long Beach Harbor and stood at the open gun turret at the side.  Also sat in helo in Kauai with plexi floor...spooked the wife a bit.

Doesn't take much to be a statistic.
Good luck thrill seekers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

watching shit like that actually gives me a mild panic attack. I cant help but feeling like I'm about to fall to my death, or worse, live through it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't watch it..only link to it
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

NUTS!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Go sky diving. End of fear
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Its not the height that kills you. Its the sudden stop.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Making my hands sweat
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to do a fair bit of rock climbing. One time, I took a first date "sport rappelling" and ended up on crutches after botching my testosterone-fueled show-off descent.

I still like climbing, but don't like heights as much. The St. Louis Arch is something my kids love, climbing up onto the ledge to look down. I look once and get the primal "butt-tingling" self-preservation reaction. Roller coasters? I like them just fine. Those hateful random drop towers, no thank you.

To change my smoke detector battery at the apex of my living room ceiling, I stand at the top of a 17 foot extended ladder and still can barely reach it. The top legs are against the sheetrock wall. I balance on almost tiptoes on one rung and balance my fingertips against the wall. Then I stretch my other arm behind my head to flick the battery cover open and change the battery blindly.  I do not like it, not one bit, and had to do it twice one weekend when the detector was going bad.

Next time, I'm changing the battery with a shotgun.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I was afraid of heights.  I became a Fire instructor teaching firefighting.     Did you know they have long Ladders?  They have 100FT aerial trucks. They have really high snorkel trucks.  Guess what new guy (me) got to teach.  Yep LADDERS and AERIALS.  First off no one can hear you if you are more that 20 ft off the ground that helped.   However you still have to demonstrate stuff.  You know, like how to climb a 100 ft ladder all the way to the top.  I taught in 28 different fire depts.  in 5 yrs and had a ball doing it.  Start out low and work your way up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't mind flying. I like sitting by the window and watching the world below.

I can't stand going over tall bridges though and I don't like going up into tall buildings. It seems that once I get past the 10th floor is when I have a problem. My current job has me on the 5th and 6th floor and I'm good to go with that.

I had a job interview once that was on the 33rd floor. As soon as the elevator opened there was giant glass windows all around. Thank God I didn't get that job.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

How long we have to wait for Darwin to show up?

Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I rode roller coasters, any coaster I could find, preferably sitting in the front.  Dosent bother me now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Fu and your couch
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Falling is the fun part, hitting the ground is what sucks.
I do ndt work and an constantly at heights.  There is nothing like 14 inches of sway at the top of some distillation towers.  It doesn't bother me, but you would be foolish to not respect what the outcome would be if you fell.  Which is the reason for the safety equipment.
My 5 yr old got scared on the monkey bars at school and froze.  My solution was to set up a confidence course in the back yard.  Start small with an elevated beam to walk across, small ladders and the such.... Work your way up. She thinks it's great fun zip lining from tree to tree now about 30 ft off the ground.

I have a different outlook then most people, I look at a situation, figure out what is the worst case scenario,......  Dieing in this case, accept the fact that if you screw up your dead(it going to happen sooner or later anyhow) , and go about your business as normal taking steps to reduce the risk of said outcome.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It ruins my life, I am deathly afraid of heights, like when I go on a hike I hug the inside of the mountain, have any of you all conquered this fear? If so any tips?
View Quote

A fear of heights is engrained into our DNA.

Alex Honnold scaled Half Dome sans rope.  That's a 2000 foot climb with a couple sections of 5.12 climbing - how hard is 5.12?  The majority good rock climbers cannot cleanly ascend 5.12 without resting on gear/rope.  Alex did the whole thing without a rope.

But, when Alex got to "Thank God Ledge" traverse - he lost his composure for a moment.  But the technical difficulty of Thank God Ledge is only 5.0 (yes, zero).  A climber can stand up and simply shuffle across this ledge.  And even with ropes, this ledge still freaks people out.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm cool with heights.  Claustrophobia is my deal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have a few drinks.  Knocks that edge right off.
View Quote

also, it doesn't hurt quite so bad when when the fall ends.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I am scared of heights too.  Just do things to overcome it.  There is really not much else you can do other than decrease your sensitivity to it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just have to expose yourself to it. It will feel uncomfortable; but you can't let that feeling control you.
View Quote

yup, every time i have to get in a high-lift or the like its 30 minutes of cold terror sweats, then i'm good as in hanging over the side on my tip toes and such, till the next time i use one which is always like 2 years later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#40]
get the jumpmaster to plant his boot in your ass while you're standing at the door hooked to the static line..

fear is fear, only way to conquer it is face it..there is a "group" somewhere in your city that will help you deal..

CHEF..
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yup, every time i have to get in a high-lift or the like its 30 minutes of cold terror sweats, then i'm good as in hanging over the side on my tip toes and such, till the next time i use one which is always like 2 years later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's funny is I have zero issues with an articulated Manlift, the largest one I drove was 120ft capability,Rock climbing, repeling off the side of a 60 ft high tank, climbing trees 30,40,60 ft off the ground, walking on 8 in I beam a few stories up .... but put me on a damm 30 ft scissor lift and watch me get a little squirrely.  I just don't trust the equipment not to overturn.....

Edit - I had a guy up in an 80 ft lift not to long ago, he was nervous to start with, he started holding on tight after about 30ft... Where we had to go was a tough spot, through a pipe rack or two.... When he asked what the beeping noise was I informed him that it was the tip over alarm.....  When we got to the location, I tied off and stepped out on to some structural beam, he stayed with the lift ;-)

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Is it a fear of heights them self, or a vertigo-induced sense of panic when you see a huge difference in heights?

Afraid to fly, or just afraid to stand at the edge of a cliff or open elevator shaft or whatnot?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#43]
My issue is long ladders. I simply don't trust them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#45]
The best way is to start low and work your way up.

When I was learning to paraglide, the instructor started me out on low, short, flights about 2-3 feet off the ground. Eventually I worked up to the top of the hill where I had no hesitation hurling myself into the abyss once conditions were right.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Used to LOVE heights, could climb like a squirrel.
Then had an accident that gave me vertigo.
I can barely look up while walking, lest I start feeling like I'm free falling.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I learned how to rock climb.

I'm still uncomfortable with heights.

I also have an irrational fear kick in when swimming next to a big ship. Never heard of anyone else with that one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that

Fuck'in A
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I can rappell off of a 20 foot ledge now, anything higher than that liquifies my guts, and I think it is just irrational fear I have had since I was young, I don't know why, I never fell or anythng
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I can rappell off of a 20 foot ledge now, anything higher than that liquifies my guts, and I think it is just irrational fear I have had since I was young, I don't know why, I never fell or anythng
View Quote

No, silly... That's ebola not acrophobia
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top