Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/26/2014 1:08:14 AM EDT

YILAN COUNTY: Taiwan on Tuesday (Dec 23) launched its first indigenous stealth missile corvette, described by officials as Asia’s fastest and most powerful warship. Weighing in at 500 tonnes, the twin-hull has been described by local media as a "carrier killer."

The Tuo River-class corvette costs US$70 million, measures 60.4 metres long and 14 metres wide and carries 41 crew members. It has a maximum speed of 38 knots and a range of 2000 nautical miles (3,704km) and will be used to patrol the waters between Taiwan and Taiping Island in the South China Sea.

Officials say it is not only fast, but also harder to detect with radar. "The Tuo River is highly mobile, which is equipped with eight Hsiung Feng class anti-ship missiles. Our main target is the aircraft carrier," said the corvette’s captain Wang Te-chien.

Link to Article

Video Link

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn strange looking vessel.
It's probably all engine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Well it does look pretty cool but I would bet those missile launchers sticking up there don't help reduce its radar signature much.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Did they seriously copy the LCS?

Maybe the LCS was a huge counter intelligence op, to trick the Chinese into building horrible ships. Well done, America.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe the LCS was a huge counter intelligence op, to trick the Chinese into building horrible ships. Well done, America.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

That lcs was an incat design. This looks like either a collaboration with incat or a ripoff
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our main target is the aircraft carrier," said the corvette’s captain Wang Te-chien.
View Quote
View Quote

Meanwhile, Communist China has one aircraft carrier - with two more becoming operational in 2015.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
They need to paint some shark teeth on that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't this ship in a James Bond movie
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Rotsa ruck
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Meanwhile, Communist China has one aircraft carrier - with two more becoming operational in 2015.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our main target is the aircraft carrier," said the corvette’s captain Wang Te-chien.

The Chinese are only good at copying designs and ideas, not at creating their own or using critical thinking.

Get a 21 year old Chinese College student, have him read a 500 page book and write it out word for word without looking at it anymore, he'll get the damn thing perfect.

Have him try and write a 20 page novel, he'll struggle to even get a serious idea down or even complete it.

They lack imagination and innovation.

With them actually being successful with an Aircraft carrier? Oh good luck with that, they won't even stand a chance against the world's most powerful and highly trained navy in decades.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Cue the James Bond music!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Old model CIWS, new model Oto Malera. Meh.

I don't see where the missiles are launched from. Just from a quick read on wiki those Hsiung Feng missiles seem to be pretty hot shit.

Do we have any supersonic anti ship missiles in our inventory?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a DDG had a baby with a GI Joe toy
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Chinese are only good at copying designs and ideas, not at creating their own or using critical thinking.

Get a 21 year old Chinese College student, have him read a 500 page book and write it out word for word without looking at it anymore, he'll get the damn thing perfect.
Have him try and write a 20 page novel, he'll struggle to even get a serious idea down or even complete it.

With them actually being successful with an Aircraft carrier? Oh good luck with that, they won't even stand a chance against the world's most powerful and highly trained navy in decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are so very right in about twenty years from now.
I distrust China more than any nation on this planet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It also has to deal with how they are teaching and raising their children.

I know of a few teachers that teach Chinese transfer students from 8th grade to Junior year of High School.

The saying that they lack imagination and innovation is very true, although they are great at copying everything down and regurgitating it on tests.

The only areas in which they sucked ass at were critical thinking questions and responses. They all failed at coming up with original ideas, and if they did, they did so shitty that it would be in the 1st grade level.

Think about it when all of their children and teenagers are essentially like this. That's their future cannon fodder, officers, scientists, researchers, military strategists, etc etc. The list goes on.

Granted there will be the few rare exceptions, and those exceptions will be granted high positions in the Chinese government or military. But generally? They suck in comparison to our kids and teenagers that we have in our schools and colleges.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Taiwan people.  They are on our side.

Hey it might be about a fast as one of our carriers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#18]
That's definitely sexier than rust and leaking pipes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the punchline to the geopolitical joke, and its hilarious.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
That went over my head.
Fill me in on the punch line.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Taiwan needs 25 modern conventional subs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they were being literal with "The"?

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That went over my head.
View Quote

We have food and water. They don't. Take bets on who wins any troubles?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:19:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That stuck out to me too, if he was quoted correctly. Interesting message to be sending.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I remember when that boat was hit during Whale Wars.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:24:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Where's H46?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That went over my head.

Funny you should say that because I was recently in a conversation with an engineer that just returned from there and his opinion of China's environment was absolutely negative.
Foul smelling place with darkness for daylight and you sure as hell better drink bottled water...
I feel better already....
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Bet it makes a mean bubble tea.

Does it have the hook under the seat to hang your grocery bag on?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:33:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Kinda sounds  like a few people dont get the difference between china and Taiwan....
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#30]
We probably have at least 2 dozen ways to sink or neuter that thing before they even finish loading the Lo Mein rations on board.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Kinda sounds  like a few people dont get the difference between china and Taiwan....
View Quote

I'm just glad no one said anything about harbor freight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps...I do get the difference even though they are both Chinese.
But those Taiwanese are building these things in the hopes of repelling the communist Chinese who are aggressively building up a military machine.
But I am sure you know that too.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Funny you should say that because I was recently in a conversation with an engineer that just returned from there and his opinion of China's environment was absolutely negative.
Foul smelling place with darkness for daylight and you sure as hell better drink bottled water...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That went over my head.

They'll eat each other before they would land offensive military on our holdings.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:44:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We probably have at least 2 dozen ways to sink or neuter that thing before they even finish loading the Lo Mein rations on board.  
View Quote

Well, duh, but it's a hell of a lot easier for us to let Taiwan fuck Chinese shit up than to do it ourselves, isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More info on new CV's? Google no help. Two carriers, no pics or info?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Herr Derr Damn Communist Taiwanese!!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes,and I'm sure the USN is standing by to sink HMS Ocean and the CdG as well...
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
The same people that confuse Austria and Australia i guessing.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#41]
The lack of apparent awareness on this thread of our strategic global allies in Asia is staggering.

Anyone having visited Taiwan and also Mainland China knows that the difference between the two is evident. The US has put men and vessels in harms way many times over the past 60 years to protect Taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

51% + of our countrymen were RETARDED enough to RE-elect Obama, it stands to reason that a good percentage of US here are retarded enough to not know the difference between Taiwan and China.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but it's good for threatening Taiwan (with whom they have a perpetual dick waving contest) hence Taiwan responding with a carrier hunter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But those Taiwanese are building these things in the hopes of repelling the communist Chinese who are aggressively building up a military machine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh jeeze..

Stop posting.... Just go away.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Needs more jagged lines of various gray shades.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Heads would explode if they knew Taiwan flies the F16 and sails US built warships.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Heads would explode if they knew Taiwan flies the F16 and sails US built warships.
View Quote

Shhh....

this thread is entertaining enough as it is
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Wait...if you enhance the picture of the port bow....you can read MADE IN TAIWAN written on the side
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#50]
"Asia’s fastest and most powerful warship."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top